• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Best Cortana design?

• Halo CE

Votes: 82 7.8%
  • Halo 2

Votes: 119 11.3%
  • Halo 3

Votes: 176 16.7%
  • Halo CE Anniversary

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • Halo 2 Anniversary

Votes: 185 17.6%
  • Halo 4

Votes: 444 42.1%
  • Halo 5

Votes: 43 4.1%

• Total voters
Jun 5, 2018
I probably prefer 3 design wise, still remember the trailers where she'd appear and flicker away, as a character and in terms of expression 4 made me care about the character.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Hey, Halo 5 gave us Governor Sloan!
I legit forgot what he looked like:
H5G_Sloan_Concept_Render.jpg

H5G-Governor_Sloan.png

Birbos

Alt Account
Banned
May 15, 2020
Of course Halo 5 cortana is the least liked because she finally decided to put a shirt on.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone saying Cortana is sexed up in Halo 4don't know what they are talking about, especially when Cortana in Halo 3 had breast phsyics.

Cortana-halo-33159346-320-240.gif

In addition Cortana has exactly the same face in Halo 5, she is simply rendered in a higher resolution in the cinematic she appears in. The only change was the suit she wears.

That avatar is from a scene that isn't remotely sexual or horny.
Your point
Somebody misunderstood that scene... And I am guessing the whole game.
No spoilers or anything, but that is not a sex scene. Or do you think Dina finds Ellie being covered in spattered blood hot?

I think you and alot of others are misunderstanding Cortana in Halo 4 aswell. She does nothing sexual in Halo 4 but because she's modeled like a normal women and appears nude somehow that is sexual and considered horny?

Cortana isn't a Hideo Kojima character now.

Birbos

Alt Account
Banned
May 15, 2020
NSFW CORTANA AND CHIEF BANG:

honestly though I thought they were going to kiss

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I liked the Halo 5 one. She had rounded teeth that made her unsettling and threatening, but not overtly so.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I think Halo 4 and Halo 2 Anniversary look the best.

Spunky Halo 1 Cortana with that military haircut is also memorable I guess.
Halo CE Cortana was indeed chipper in an endearing way for an AI. Again, I think the character transformation into a more lifelike human rather than just another digital projection was a very good parallel to the story itself. And, whatever your thoughts on blue lady body, I think that makes it stand out.

In addition Cortana has exactly the same face in Halo 5, she is simply rendered in a higher resolution in the cinematic she appears in. The only change was the suit she wears.
While I think I understand your point and largely agree that Cortana's Halo 4 design is better liked for more than just her body, I strongly disagree that Halo 5 Cortana is the same as Halo 4. Even if you were to prove to me that it was exactly the same model (I am unconvinced), my opinion is that Halo 5 Cortana has such a crazy, distant, soulless look of some mix of confusion and megalomania about her the entire time that it's hard to identify with her as in the previous games. Her facial expression makes it really hard to like her.

Was that the point? Yes, probably.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm aware. She went from a sort of barbie doll body to "She's a real life nude women with out genitals or nipples"

Aesthetically, it's not a good change imo. Scenes with her were....wierd. Because she was so obviously naked and everyone was treating the situation as if she wasn't.

Imagine if a movie happened that was basically normal genre flick, but one woman was just conspicuously naked for no reason as she did her scenes.

All the more so when other AI's are clothed, which Roland was, in the same game as naked Cortana (evne if he was in spartan ops).

maxresdefault.jpg

Gee I wonder why he's not naked.

Raven in the X-Men films.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I really hate how people think that some voted for 4's Cortana simply cause they were horny or something.

I love 4's Cortana and voted for her. I think she's the best one and when I hear the name Cortana, her face from Halo 4 comes to mind. Even more with how she interacted with John.

Honestly I think Cortana from Halo 3 feels more sexualized.

Halo 5 Cortana is very odd to me. Normally I would like her but her face throws me off a lot. Just something uncanny about it in the cutscenes.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
4's portrayal of Cortana is skin crawling. I'm genuinely surprised by the poll.

CE's design felt the closest to what I can see as a ship's AI. The better the graphics got, the more awkward it became as it was apparent that they really just wanted to have a butt naked woman in cut scenes.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
Can you explain why?
The majority of the game, she's basically a non-entity damsel in distress. not to the mention those interludes that interrupt you in the majority of the game

Cortana doesn't have any character arc in Halo 3. That alone justifies the existence of Halo 4

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
The majority of the game, she's basically a non-entity damsel in distress. not to the mention those interludes that interrupt you in the majority of the game

Cortana doesn't have any character arc in Halo 3. That alone justifies the existence of Halo 4

So you think she is more sexualized in Halo 3 than Halo 4 because she's a damsel in distress in Halo 3 and doesn't have a character arc?

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
So you think she is more sexualized in Halo 3 than Halo 4 because she's a damsel in distress in Halo 3 and doesn't have a character arc?

Given most posts are disingenuous in the fact they call people who like Halo 4's Cortana as horny and not for any other reason, I don't see a good discussion coming out of this.

But to answer your question, yes.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
Given most posts are disingenuous in the fact they call people who like Halo 4's Cortana as horny and not for any other reason, I don't see a good discussion coming out of this.

But to answer your question, yes.

There's a reason I cropped the quote. If you like Halo 4 Cortana, fine. I'm just trying to wrap my head around thinking Halo 3 Cortana is more sexualized than Halo 4 Cortana. Look at the responses in this thread about Cortana. Which Cortana has people praising her for being thicc or saying she's attractive?

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cortana is always skin suit nude. In 4 she just looks like a real person. Doesn't that say more about the people complaining than the actual game or design. She's never portrayed as a sexual object and the relationship between her and chief is more of a emotional one. .

I mean yeah she is hot, but that's like the least interesting thing about her character.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can, she has breast physics in Halo 3.

But of course everyone here is ignoring that for reasons.
You keep posting this gif like it's the only thing people remember about Halo 3 Cortana. It's not, though, because people remember her interrupting the Chief more than anything.

Just looking at the majority of comments in this thread, the same can't be said for Halo 4's Cortana because most everyone's remembering her booty.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You keep posting this gif like it's the only thing people remember about Halo 3 Cortana. It's not, though, because people remember her interrupting the Chief more than anything.

Just looking at the majority of comments in this thread, the same can't be said for Halo 4's Cortana.

And yet people are assuming people prefer Halo 4's Cortana because they are horny?

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Halo 4 Cortana felt like an actual protagonist and I honestly thought they did a great job with her overall.

Felt like someone I (Chief) cared about, instead of someone constantly interrupting or making remarks.

Design is also great and made sense with the whole "new" 343 aesthetic.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I like Halo 2 Cortana. She's so thicc that it's creepy in Halo 4. So are they boyfriend and girlfriend or what?

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And yet people are assuming people prefer Halo 4's Cortana because they are horny?

Dat Halo 4 Cortana though. I thought she and Chief were going to kiss at the end.
but Halo 4 is the prettiest. Pretty much an anime character at that point.
Halo 4 Cortana. She's hot so she wins.
I'm sorry but Cortana was sexy af in Halo 4.
Halo 4 cortana is THICC Imma just say it
I think it's funny when people say this because an aspect of Cortana's character is her sex appeal, it's always been there.

I mean, I don't have to assume. I'm not saying that her character arc, story stuff wasn't good in H4, but that's not the question being asked in this thread. What was the best design. Oh, the one that made her look like a naked helpless booty and tits.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, Halo 4 is the first time you get to play a Halo campaign all the way through and Cortana didn't fuck off elsewhere for half of it, so I imagine that probably has some influence.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Cortana is always skin suit nude. In 4 she just looks like a real person. Doesn't that say more about the people complaining than the actual game or design.
Not really, because your trying to pretend that "looking like a real person" is somehow not a major shift in presentation that will result in highly different readings.

Do you have the same reaction to these two images?

pdwulicgy9x41.png
038b2098ca63da45822fb4ce1c91bfd9.jpg

"Mario has always had a big nose with comically large mustache. The second image just looks like a real person. Why would you disturbed by the latter if you aren't by the former? Doesn't it say more about the people complaining than the actual design?"

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because that represents all the votes for Halo 4?
No but it's a good indication of where people's heads are at. Again the question isn't, "What was the best Cortana personality/character arc?". I'd agree if that was the case. It's "What was the best design?". I have a hard time reading that question and then, in turn, believing someone see an AI that looks like a near naked curvy lady and be like "oh yeah this was the best design" and not immediately roll my eyes.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Halo 2 Anniversary has the best balance of looking realistic without being quite as horny as the Halo 4 design.

Cortana is always skin suit nude. In 4 she just looks like a real person. Doesn't that say more about the people complaining than the actual game or design. She's never portrayed as a sexual object and the relationship between her and chief is more of a emotional one. .

I mean yeah she is hot, but that's like the least interesting thing about her character.

There is a difference between the skinsuit look of her other designs, and the sort of nude-with-body-paint look of 4. Her body in those looks like it's constrained by, like you said, a skinsuit. 4 looks like tits-out nude, and it's pretty obvious everyone picks up on the difference.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Lore-wise, Cortana is said to resemble her creator (Dr. Catherine Halsey) as a young woman in her college years. And she's supposed to be wearing a circuitry-laced skin-tight suit with layered padding. As for why Cortana choose to look that way, part of it is due to being a flash clone of a tissue sample of Halsey.

To add to the explanation from the books (if memory serves), it was specified that her appearance was a kind of a subtle dig at Halsey. The choice of appearance was at least partly a small act of defiance against Halsey, as Cortana was aware of the questionable circumstances of her creation. Halsey was enough older over the course of Cortana's development that there was an age gap. I took it as halfway petty snark, halfway "telltale heart" about the source clone.

That said, I don't think anyone doubts the original creative rationale was fanservice, even if the game isn't reductive about her role and how she's treated (both by the camerawork and by other characters).

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Halo 4. This design definitely felt more like an actual character; first time they actually put effort into giving her proper expressions and personality.
Halo CE:A's was basically just the Halo 3 model skinned onto the original model's anims, it looked super horrendous.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly the only ones I don't like are 2 Anniversary (and it probably has to do with looking like it was straight mapping of a woman's face attached to blue digital everything else) and 4 which makes me uncomfortable for how very overtly "pretty" (and generally sexualized) she looks in 4. I mean she's a naked blue/purple hologram lady, of course she's sexualized, but 4 absolutely feels the most.

3 is my favorite and the one I voted for but it's a barely my favorite cause I still dig both the old gen looks of 1 and 2 and actually really dig Halo 5 and the goofy but cool armor as well.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
The graphical, animation, acting, and character arc improvements in Halo 4 make me raise an eyebrow at people insisting its popularity must be due to being a "sexy" design. That aesthetic is present in all the Cortana designs over the years; That's not to say the redesign doesn't look more like a naked body, but it's not a prurient treatment.

(I voted for H2A, specifically re: the Blur Studios version)