• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pick a favourite game from this list.

• Call of Duty Modern Warfare (2019)

Votes: 104 13.6%
  • Halo 5 (2015)

Votes: 105 13.7%
  • Overwatch (2015)

Votes: 130 17.0%
  • Apex Legends (2019)

Votes: 84 11.0%
  • Titanfall 2 (2016)

Votes: 140 18.3%
  • Rainbow Six Siege (2015)

Votes: 111 14.5%
  • Battlefield 4 (2013)

Votes: 91 11.9%

• Total voters

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I think the only PVP online games I played last gen were BF4 and Destiny. Crucible was pretty fun outside of the Trials.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
The first year or so of Overwatch was absolutely unmatched. Loved that early game experience.

Daddy JeanPi

Prophet of Truth that's Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Titanfall 1 > Titanfall 2

Also, sad to see how underappreciated Halo 5 is. It is def my choicr in the poll.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
Siege. Hands down. Apex is second, but there's no doubt in my mind it's Siege.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Overwatch and Siege are some of the best multiplayer games I've experienced. Apex/TF2 are close runner-ups.

ThePunisher

Oct 27, 2017
Pubg should really be on this list. It's gun play is awesome and started a whole new trend in the battle royal.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
Rainbow Six Siege.

Ended up being my game of the gen and I'm not a multiplayer person. Just an amazing game.

Titanfall 2 in second place.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
I voted for Halo 5. The arena multiplayer is some of the best around, and I really liked the new mobility options. I also had a lot of fun with warzone firefight.

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
Destiny 2 started out rough but it's rounded into shape. Every game has balance issues though but Destiny 2 has the best gunplay of any fps I've played hands down and it's not even close. It's my choice and not sure why it's not on the list.

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
Goddamn, that might be the most even poll I've ever seen on this site.

It is quite close, I love it when it's like this. What an amazing gen for multiplayer console FPS games! I made a thread the other day PS2 Vs Dreamcast, GC and Xbox which was 49/51 but I suppose that's only two options. I've seen some other very close polls too.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Halo. It does what I want a shooter to do, and which none of those others, as much as I might enjoy them, do it.

Really, Siege and Halo are like two entirely different genres of FPS. Compare and contrast to Overwatch and you have a radically different set of beasts.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a Halo man so I'm definitely saying Halo 5. It plays like a dream and offers more ways to play PvP than any previous game in the series (<3 you Warzone). But the other games on that list I've played are also damn good. Battlefield 4 was my first BF game and I loved it. The rumors that the new one will be similar to it make me very happy. And Titanfall 2 is amazing. It gets the nod over the first game because the first game can have balance issues due to how it handles Titan shields. The second game fixes those issues.

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
I'm a Halo man so I'm definitely saying Halo 5. It plays like a dream and offers more ways to play PvP than any previous game in the series (<3 you Warzone). But the other games on that list I've played are also damn good. Battlefield 4 was my first BF game and I loved it. The rumors that the new one will be similar to it make me very happy. And Titanfall 2 is amazing. It gets the nod over the first game because the first game can have balance issues due to how it handles Titan shields. The second game fixes those issues.

I think I made the right choice putting Titanfall 2 instead of 1. There's a lot of TF1 fans but I think there's a lot more TF2 fans.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
honestly surprised to see overwatch at the top of this list, but it's early yet. it's what i voted for since it's one of my favorite games of all time and definitely my top multiplayer game. thousands of hours in it and still playing regularly.

but while i am still enjoying the game, i do think there's so much more potential for it to be way bigger than it currently is given how absolutely massive it was on release and for its first year and a half. maybe it wouldn't have gotten any bigger than it did because the battle royale phenomenon was going to happen anyway, but there's a part of me that thinks in an alternate universe where blizzard handled it better, it would still be among the most popular multiplayer games to this day instead of languishing with a quiet and more-often-than-not frustrated userbase. it's certainly not a dead game by any means with millions still playing it monthly, but it's not exactly popping off on twitch/youtube or raking in the big bucks in esports.

i am optimistic though that if overwatch 2 does its pve content right, the big casual audience the first game attracted would be right back in it and the game would have better longevity among that crowd, which in turn would draw in the content creators and high-level players.

special shout-outs to apex legends. had a blast playing it for over a year, and even though it didn't turn out to be the "fortnite killer" that it was looking to be when it first dropped in terms of popularity, it's managed to carve out its own niche in the super competitive battle royale space. i can see myself jumping back in if it's true that overwatch 2 won't be out until much much later in 2022.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
The answer is Titanfall 1, not sure why it isn't here, but I'll go with Halo 5 from the poll. A game that's still going surprisingly strong more than 5 years after release.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Modern Warfare isn't even the best COD game this generation.

From the list though, I was held between Battlefield 4 and Halo 5, eventually voting for Halo, on account of being different and yet so much damn fun

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
Ive been pleasantly surprised and hooked on MW19, best shooter Ive played in a generation or 2. People like to shit on it, and in some cases it is warrantied, but it completely brought me back to COD since the first MW.

Thats after playing Seige, Titanfall 1+2, Apex and all the BFs. Not to say a lot of those games are not great and top tier as well, its just I have sunk ungodly amount of time into MW19 and Warzone.

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
Siege is such a unique multiplayer experience, and an amazing breath of fresh air to have a AAA uber competitive tactical game in the FPS space.

Halo 5 gets a ton of brownie points for being basically the only arena shooter left which is still by far the best FPS subgenre even if it's not the best Halo game.

Titanfall is an absolute blast, and by far the most fun out of all those, but it's always felt clunky to me. It's so easy to botch movement and get kicked out of a groove.

Everything else is just chasing trends

Halo is gonna struggle getting the votes because it's locked to 1 platform and not part of MCC on PC, but the fact that it's holding it's own is telling.

Last edited:

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Those might be the most amazing poll results I've seen. Almost total equity of votes so far.

I voted Siege. Nothing has ever been like it and it'll be awhile before something does it as well again. Hunt: Showdown is the closest but it's still very different with some similarities.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
This poll is incredibly balanced considering how many choices they are. Clearly a good job at picking options OP.

Rippa

Feb 15, 2018
I would've picked BF4 but since there aren't many Hardcore servers to choose from, my default is Modern Warfare (2019).

Hardcore TDM is where it's at. Plus a little WarZone every now-and-again.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The best game on this list is an Xbox exclusive so it's gonna lose no matter how little it deserves to.
Damn shame, that. Gotta wonder how people would look at Halo today if Microsoft hadn't royally screwed themselves over at the beginning of last gen.

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
The best game on this list is an Xbox exclusive so it's gonna lose no matter how little it deserves to.
Damn shame, that. Gotta wonder how people would look at Halo today if Microsoft hadn't royally screwed themselves over at the beginning of last gen.

Yes Halo definitely has the technical victory here. Like JDHarbs said above it's incredible that it's holding its own.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty excited to give Halo 5 a try. Reach's MP really turned me off to Halo, but I've been having a blast with 4 from the MCC.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Yes Halo definitely has the technical victory here. Like JDHarbs said above it's incredible that it's holding its own.

It's nice to see Halo 5 not discussed in the often dismissive, derisive terms that are often found here. It's a genuinely excellent game in MP (and the SP is really good too, even if the story isn't so hot; whether, as a long-term Halo fan, you love/hate the radar/the armour abilities/sprint/the sound a frag makes as it his cloth materials is really secondary, tbh, and is an argument that can run for ever and ever and I'll be delighted never to read it again). So I am glad, as pathetic as that sounds, that a mocked game on a mocked console is holding its own.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Overwatch for me. Twoish years of my life just melted away playing that game on Xbone. I eventually switched to PC, but the early days on the game on console were sublime. Nothing against the other games on the list - played a bunch of them, but nothing hooked me like OW did last gen and continues to do.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Siege is being robbed right now.

It is one of the few games that uses the power of Gen 8 to influence gameplay. That level of destruction and dynamic map elements would not have been possible in Gen 7. It has also been supported for the entire generation, with new content added every few months.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
My Top 3 games aren't even on that list.
  1. Battlefront 2
  2. Killzone: Shadow Fall
  3. Paladins

From that list it's Battlefield 4.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
It's siege and any votes that aren't siege likely came from those that haven't played it.
Or people who don't have a full team of friends with mics to enjoy.

I mean, I played it a lot during 2015-2017, but not having a team marked my end from enjoying that game. I voted for Apex Legends for that same reason, pinging isn't comparable to mics, but having to deal with only two randoms unlike the full Siege squad is a lot more enjoyable.