• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
We've seen them all, from Transformers & GI Joe, Superman & He-Man, Avengers & David Letterman, Punisher & Archie, and the list goes on and on.

I was discussing this with a buddy the other day and my very first thought was Batman vs Predator from 1991. The comic was super respectful to the source material for each character. The Predator was portrayed just like he was in the movies as a hunter prowling Gotham for the best challenge he could find. He worked his way up the food chain until he eventually encounters Batman and proceeds to almost kill him. Batman simply was not prepared for what he faced. During his road to recovery, he montages his way through building a suit to counter the Predator's various advantages and eventually beats him in a 1v1 showdown. The Predator knows he is beaten so he commits suicide with a sword and the leader of the Predators gives it to Batman as a prize, then they turn and leave. It was badass.

629819.jpg

Do you have a crossover favorite? What makes it so good?

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
The big JLA and Avengers crossover was something else. Especially when it turned into Amalgum comics. Who can forget this lovable edgelord?

latest

Yes folks, if you were ever longing for Wolverine and Batman's love child, wait no longer. His name is Dark Claw, and no, he is not my OC.

DJConvoy

Jan 8, 2021
I really enjoy the first Batman / Predator cross over (the others, not so much) as well as the first Batman / Grendel crossover. I think the common denominator in both (besides the obvious) is that the "foreign" characters are fleshed out well enough that you don't have to be strictly familiar with the source material. I think that the sequels to both kinda deviate from that path, so don't work as well. Batman / Grendel II, for instance, needs you to be fairly deep into Grendel lore.

I think the first Superman / Aliens one worked fairly well, even if it just gave us a rehash of the Supergirl story (twisted a bit)... but the deus ex machina in the end didn't really sing. Really, when you have an Aliens crossover, most everybody that comes in contact with the Aliens need to die. I really like the stark brutality of the WildCATs / Aliens crossover, but I don't know if it's very effective if you don't care about the various Wildstorm characters.

DJConvoy

Jan 8, 2021
The big JLA and Avengers crossover was something else. Especially when it turned into Amalgum comics. Who can forget this lovable edgelord?

latest

Yes folks, if you were ever longing for Wolverine and Batman's love child, wait no longer. His name is Dark Claw, and no, he is not my OC.
Not all of the Amalgam comics were good, but the ones that really captured the feeling of the books they were trying to emulate (Iron Lantern, Spider-Boy, Challengers of the Fantastic) are all really worth a read.

And, if you're a big dork like me, JLA / Avengers was phenomenal... but again, I don't know if you could just hand it to anyone. Everyone gets mad about the Superman / Thor battle in the book, but there's such a quintessentially Avengers-y moment afterward when the present Avengers also freak out. "That guy took out Thor...? YOU DON'T DO THAT TO THOR!" and they dogpile the weary Superman.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
There were several Batman/Predator crossovers. The one I remember also featured Mr Freeze which made for some good subversion of the Predator's heat vision.

DC had a couple of standalone Looney Tunes crossovers a few years ago, and the Jonah Hex/Yosemite Sam one was way better than it had any right to be.

2998jhg.jpg

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Everything is better with Power Rangers; doubly so when you start swapping powers.

Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Mighty-Morphin-Power-Rangers-Boom-Studios-Comic-Issue-4-6.jpg

Mighty.jpg

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

latest

Friggin' love Dark Claw and the rest of the Amalgam universe. DC vs Marvel was something special and stupid and amazing.
maxresdefault.jpg

OP
OP

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Robocop vs Terminator from 1992 is a close second for me.

Skynet sends back 3 Terminators in time to protect RoboCop from a human resistance fighter sent back to kill him. The 3 Terminators are a man, a woman, and a kid. I always thought the kid Terminator was a great idea. Anyway, apparently Robocop being a human machine hybrid is what jumpstarts Skynet and allows it to achieve consciousness. The Terminators save Robocop but his body is destroyed while activating Skynet. He uploads his mind into the computers and hides from Skynet for decades as robots commit genocide on the human race. Eventually he takes over a giant factory used to make Terminators and uploads a schematic for an improved version of his Robocop self and pumps out thousands of flying Robocops who assault Skynet and teleport Robocop back in time were he proceeds to destroy the initial version of Skynet. He then disappears because he prevented himself from ever existing!

Once again, the comic was super respectful to both properties and both got their chances to shine in the spotlight. A sky filled with hundreds of Terminator/Robocop hybrids headed to reign destruction on Skynet was awesome!

RoboCop-Vs-Terminator-Comic.jpg

Last edited:

DJConvoy

Jan 8, 2021
Robocop vs Terminator from 1992 is a close second for me.

Skynet sends back 3 Terminators in time to protect RoboCop from a human resistance fighter sent back to kill him. The 3 Terminators are a man, a woman, and a kid. I always thought the kid Terminator was a great idea. Anyway, apparently Robocop being a human machine hybrid is what jumpstarts Skynet and allows it to achieve consciousness. The Terminators save Robocop's body is destroyed while activating Skynet but he uploads his mind into the computers and hides from Skynet for decades as robots commit genocide on the human race. Eventually he takes over a giant factory used to make Terminators and uploads a schematic for an improved version of his Robocop self and pumps out thousands of flying Robocops who assault Skynet and teleport Robocop back in time were he proceeds to destroy the initial version of Skynet. He then disappears because he prevented himself from ever existing!

Once again, the comic was super respectful to both properties and both got their chances to shine in the spotlight. A sky filled with hundreds of Terminator/Robocop hybrids headed to reign destruction on Skynet was awesome!

RoboCop-Vs-Terminator-Comic.jpg
another excellent one. I splurged on (whatever Dark Horse calls their version of) the Artist Edition a while back.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
51V8EVTSPML._SX305_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

This is where Ellis used the xenomorphs to clear the deck for his Authority launch. It was pretty brutal.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its a god damned crime Scoob and Shag wasn't the first post. Its the ultimate comic cross over. What starts as seemingly a bunch of ultra stupid joke comics making fun of Scooby Doo it turned into something akin to Jojo's Bizarre Adventure meets Who Framed Roger Rabbit with some great art and a story that has been surprisingly good full of all kinds of twists on all manner of cartoon characters from classics like The Looney Tunes and DIsney's roster to Clone High and The Simpsons.

latest

udjJyRJ.png

tumblr_pliq24sar81ty3wdko8_1280.png

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Going to throw some odd balls out since my favorite (Batman/TMNT) has already been covered.

I was pleasantly surprised by the GReen Lantern/Star Trek crossover event.
61zWIu8W7dL._AC_SY400_.jpg

And the Sonic/Megaman event is real good as well.
mmsonic1.jpg

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
The IDW Ghostbusters comics had some really good ones.

gbtmnt1.jpg

There have been two crossovers between TMNT and GB. Both are fun but are kinda reliant on knowing the continuity of each IDW series.

gbtransformers.jpg

Don't know a whole lot about Transformers but it was neat seeing Gozer manifest as a Transformer a thousand years ago and destroy Cybertron in the GB universe.

They've even had crossovers with other parts of the franchise ranging from the recent reboot to Real Ghostbusters:

ghostbustersreal.png

I'd even go as far to say they might be using the GBs in crossovers a little too much. lol

Dec 25, 2018
Fond of Dredd vs Aliens.
As well as the Simpsons/Futurama Crossover Crisis which happened like more than a decade before the Shows would on TV. Though now that I think about it Im not sure about the 2nd crossover that happened with the two comics, been years since reading it but I remember Farnsworth wanting to find a practical use for the crossover device from the 1st one arguing that since comic characters aren't real, they have no rights and could be used as slaves, which is the inciting incident for bringing the cast of Springfield to New New York...