• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Scary_Larry

Banned
Jan 3, 2019
My top 5:

Nioh 2
DMC V
Sekiro
Bloodborne
Doom 2016 (haven't played Eternal yet, but tempted to with the sale going on now)

* I'm really enjoying the combat in FFRemake, but when it comes to doing anything aerial-wise, it loses its luster.

ohitsluca

Oct 29, 2017
Sekiro for me, easily. I struggle enjoying games that don't *force* me to learn all of their mechanics, like bayonetta or dmc. I just don't like learning combos or moves that are unnecessary to me progressing/completing the game.

I also struggle enjoying games that force me to learn all the mechanics, but then don't make them fun/engaging/rewarding.

Sekiro nailed that balance for me. I found the combat to be deep, challenging, fun, rewarding. Learning it was necessary to progress and fun to master. Loved it.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God of War was the most addictive for me. Leviathan Axe is incredibly satisfying, and the runic special moves are so damn fun.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
man I always want to play monster hunter world but I know it's co op heavy.
There are some events which can't really be played solo, but vast majority of the game can be played without co-op just fine, I have over 1000 hours combined on PS4 and PC and 90% of that has been single player, the monsters health scales depending on whether you're playing with a group or not.

It's definitely worth it though whether you want to play co op or stick to solely single player hunts, if it wasn't for DMC5 MHWorld would easily rank as the best combat I've played, super satisfying.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
Total War: Warhammer 2 has the best I have seen in a game in a long time. Though Apex Legendssuch a good FPS even with the mediocre BR around it.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Playing Sonic Adventure 2. Can't believe how badly that has aged, lol. It controls like absolute garbage, in particular the camera.
Try it! Actually you'll have an easier time soloing monster than hunting with a stranger online.
Co-op is pure chaotic fun.
You should give it a go. Yes its coop heavy but shoot a SOS flare and you get other hunters helping you pretty quickly.
I understand it's easy to, I guess I'm just not huge on relying on help or doing co op. I guess I should give it a try. It always looked fun. The other stuff like gearing up does not however
There are some events which can't really be played solo, but vast majority of the game can be played without co-op just fine, I have over 1000 hours combined on PS4 and PC and 90% of that has been single player, the monsters health scales depending on whether you're playing with a group or not.

It's definitely worth it though whether you want to play co op or stick to solely single player hunts, if it wasn't for DMC5 MHWorld would easily rank as the best combat I've played, super satisfying.

Sounds good, maybe I will give it a shot. Do you guys find it that there's a lot of time spent on gearing up and obtaining certain items to help for the hunt? Because that's another concern of mine.

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
Nioh 2 and sekiro are probably the 2 big ones for me. I would throw in DMCV in there(which is great), but it didn't compell as much as the other 2 did; still top tier combat though.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I've seen a lot more mentions of For Honor than Mordhau and I suppose it makes sense given it's a AAA game that was released on all platforms. I've played hundreds of hours in both games though and I don't think For Honor holds a candle quite frankly. It's not that I dislike the game or am trying to hate on it, there are a few mechanics in it that I wished could be added to Mordhau or other games in general but otherwise Mordhau just has a far higher skill floor and skill cap with a lot more skill expression, if we're strictly comparing the value of their combat systems.

For Honor is a pretty light on mechanics fighting game that does some things in new ways, and that is commendable but Mordhau is a melee slasher, they are fundamentally different genres and I don't think For Honor distances itself from the best fighting games this gen, if at all, when talking strictly about the effectiveness or value of the combat.

When it comes to single player games, I'd say either Bannerlord or Monster Hunter World. I haven't played a Monster Hunter before so it's probably a bit unfair given that they've had decades to iterate on their formula but as my first entry in the series I was so impressed with all the unique mechanics the way they approached combat, it was so refreshing. I liked that there were weakpoints on the monster, that there ways to trigger climbing mechanics, varied movesets of the weapons that had quite a bit of depth, I LOVED that there was no lock on, I really enjoyed the fact the fights were long and drawn out, and you had to do things like sharpen your weapon in the middle of a fight, or that you had to sheathe your weapon if you wanted to sprint and there were unique attacks out of these different scenarios.

Last edited:

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Melee: Bloodborne, Monster Hunter World, God of War, Sekiro, Kingdom Hearts III
Gunplay: DOOM/DOOM Eternal, Destiny 1 & 2, Titanfall 2, Apex Legends

I'd also throw in Horizon Zero Dawn's ranged combat as a honorable mention. The bows just feel amazing to use in that game.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Nothing comes close to Dragon's Dogma from last gen. The variety of weapons, magic, climbing on giant creatures, etc all add up to epic battles. Sure, Sekiro and other games may do better at one thing(katana combat) but they lack variety.

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
I have no idea how some random Western devs ended up creating the best arena fighter ever made on their first try. I need to watch that documentary one day.

The animation system is also the first example (that I'm aware of) of the mocap animation blending tech being used in Last of Us 2.
The documentary is definitely worth a watch. I think this would've been a very different game had Jason VandenBerghe stayed at the helm. He had a great vision but Ubisoft wanted to go in a different direction.
Roman and the others are why we have so many heroes and factions.

I love that they're still supporting this in year 4. I hope FH 2 gets made but I seriously doubt it.

StrykerIsland

Oct 25, 2017
Dude really took a fucking photo mid-air as he was busting his ass.. The disrespect

tenor.gif
I loved that part, lol. Dude was in a zone.

Broncs

Nov 26, 2018
God of War. Probably the only game where I increased the difficulty just so the fights would last longer. Honourable mention for Nioh, easily me favourite souls game.

otretas

Nov 1, 2017
Best combat dosnt just mean the combos you can do, it also means the enemy variety and their engage design, as well as the environment design for the combat to flow. It also makes you feel encouraged by using all of its toolkit and reward you according to how well you use it.
Looking at this, DMC V is the only game at this generation that gets this right (if you dont count bayo2 from this generation).
Astral Chain is the second closest, but it offers no proper rewards in excelling at the combat with the tools available.
A lot of people are saying nioh, bloodborne and god of war, but for me, while they provide that satisfying crunchy hit on an enemy, they dont incentivize pushing their combat, and the enemy design as well as the environment, rewards more cheap tactics where you use one or two moves and abuse the dodge. Sekiro tries to make you more aggressive, but if you are patient you can still be cheap.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Can't agree with Spidey picks. The core mechanics are good but the game is just hordes of enemies, and the boss fights suck and are all basically the same thing.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
For me, combat of a game as a whole includes both the combat system as well as the enemy design, so

Sekiro- The best take on a back-and-forth type of exchange, whereas almost all other games are more your turn/my turn style of approach. Very amazing for a first attempt, especially with the enemy/boss designs, but still plenty of room for improvement. I'm hoping they manage to make a leap much like they did from DS1 to DS3.

MHW- Not really this gen specifically, but MH easily has the best large monster/enemy moveset designs of any game. Just want to include them somewhere. Weapon moveset design is also extremely varied and unique. Extremely high skill ceiling (part targeting is super hard to master and do consistently, especially with such a large variation of monsters) allows for a crazy amount of room for personal improvement. Extreme behemoth is a triumph.

Tales of Berseria- Best character swap system I've ever played with. Very good resource design in soul gauge in relation to character skills and swapping. A ton of abstract mechanics that only becomes useful in the hardest difficulty, but works very well together at that difficulty level. Individual enemies are fairly basic with small moveset but good variation across the board that allows for varied types of encounters and largest fights in an any RPG that I've played. Boss design is very bad unfortunately, and cannot hide behind quantity as normal encounters can.

GoW- One of the best 1vX games I've ever played. For having an over-the-shoulder cam, the controls were super smooth for dealing with large packs of enemies. Enemy design has sufficient amount of variation as well, making a lot of fights very dynamic as you need to change approach depending on which enemy is coming at you. Skills could be polished a bit more. Bosses are bad, and story bosses are more for spectacle only. Secret boss is also subpar due to the design of having you fight each mechanic separately then combining them. If it all just came at once it would have been a better experience in my opinion.

FF7R- Best hybrid that has more rpg elements being central to the combat system. ATB as it is designed is a perfect basis to expand from, and a lot of bells and whistles can still be added. A strong focus on quality over quantity for abilities and mechanics produced 4 very unique characters with little overlap and few useless skills. Regular enemies could have more interesting movesets (buffs and debuffs being made more prominent in a FF game would be nice). Camera improvements can be made so that in the future it would be possible to fight even larger groups of enemies. Large enemy type boss fights are extremely well done, almost like MH lite in design. Humanoid type bosses could use improvements.

Honorable mention goes to DS3- Soulsgames have very basic player side design (not a bad thing as it fits the game very well), and all of it hinges on enemy/boss design. DS3 has the best selection of bosses, both large and regular sized, of any game that I've ever played, but its player side options prevents it from being included.

Last edited:

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
God of War for me. Haven't played a lot of the others mentioned like Sekiro, DMCV, etc. Currently playing through Nioh and it's a lot of fun as well. Bloodborne was great as well, of course.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
The documentary is definitely worth a watch. I think this would've been a very different game had Jason VandenBerghe stayed at the helm. He had a great vision but Ubisoft wanted to go in a different direction.
Roman and the others are why we have so many heroes and factions.

I love that they're still supporting this in year 4. I hope FH 2 gets made but I seriously doubt it.
If they don't do a sequel they should at least make a 60fps update for next gen.

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
Monster Hunter World is my choice. The game has so many great weapons and they're all so fun to use. that plus all the amazing monsters and how much fun they are to fight and it's probably my favorite game this generation.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
My heart compels me to say For Honor, which I bled hundreds of hours into from the Alpha through the first year and a half or so of the game, but Im sure it's in a very different spot from the last time I played it, which itself was very different from when release.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I really loved the combat in GOD OF WAR (2018). I love the control scheme, the speed, the addition of Atreus, the weapons and magic, the sound cues. It was virtually perfect to me. Simple on first glance but layered and demanding of the player on higher difficulty levels.

Of all the elements required to successfully that franchise SSM nailed that one the most. Radically different from the past games and I'd argue vastly superior.

That game is a masterpiece. The more I think about it the more I think it may be my favorite of the entire generation.

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
Divinity Original Sin 2 easily. Each encounter feels unique and hand crafted and can be beaten in any way your imagination can come up with. Never have I played a more fun, open ended and satisfying combat in a game. I would roam around the maps looking for things to fight and would get that giddy feeling every time I came to a new one.

Titanfall 2 was great too, even if I found the loads and loads of platforming somewhat annoying after a while. More recently I found FF7 Remake to be a blast as well, tons of awesome bosses and each character feels great and unique to play as.

Last edited: