• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Randroid

Oct 28, 2017
Inspired by this thread, but then the opposite. What are your favorite special/collector's editions? Here's two of mine that I own:

Hfghytd.jpg

That statue is just awesome, it's large and detailed with a cool pose. The artbook is huge, the cloth map is nice... just overall a really cool package.

XQX5sze.jpg

Man, that glass music box thing just looks so nice and here's another artbook filled to the brim with dreamy pictures, plus that cute pop-up thing. The only thing I was a bit disappointed in, is that the vinyl record only includes two tracks and not the entire soundtrack.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Ys: Memories of Celceta's Silver Anniversary Edition.

91bSTzBMMWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Maybe it's not the most bombastic, but it *was* an absolute steal for the price - $60, only $20 more than the base game, got you a 3CD soundtrack that was essentially Wyrdwad's own personal mixtape for the series' history... and a cloth map, a really nice strategy guide written from the perspective of the main character, and a silly little compass. The value was insane for the music alone!

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
metroid-samus-returns-legacy-edition.jpg

xenoblade-chronicles-2-edicion-limitada-switch-1.jpg

Not sure if this counts since it was the only edition available for the price of a regular edition, but:

b1765f34dbcd4fa761faaee07fd56394.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Ys: Memories of Celceta's Silver Anniversary Edition.

91bSTzBMMWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Maybe it's not the most bombastic, but it *was* an absolute steal for the price - $60, only $20 more than the base game, got you a 3CD soundtrack that was essentially Wyrdwad's own personal mixtape for the series' history... and a cloth map, a really nice strategy guide written from the perspective of the main character, and a silly little compass. The value was insane for the music alone!
You really can't go wrong with LE/CEs like this. Physical game OST aren't easy to come by and an easy sell at an extra $20 or so. FFXIII-2 had a similar one that came with the full 4-disc OST and art book for $80. It really bugs me when publishers ask you to pay extra just for a sample though.

Nov 4, 2017
Final Fantasy XIII-2. Slim packaging, not weighed down with a giant box that you want to throw away in a month. Has the entire 4 disc OST for the game, something that's actually valuable and complete and will save me money. There's even a small artbook built into the packaging.

Final-Fantasy-XIII-2_CE-Announcement_header.jpg

ffxiii-2_ce_soundtrack1.jpg

Fire Emblem Fates

Rare physical cart with 3 games on it.

CTpSTihUkAAdZbr.jpg

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
Lol I came to post the Ni no Kuni II and Samus Returns ones, but I'm glad they've already been posted. Here's another really good one:

91mAxmVoShL.jpg

I still use that Sheikah slate Switch case. I just wish it had come with a steelbook.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Ones most impressed with

162332b.jpg

Got this one for $42, solid ce
81V7X65i9rL._SL1500_.0.jpg

Case with BOTW was great, perfect for carrying little extras. Elder Scrolls Online artbook is seriously imoressive with lore in it.

Edit:

Loved this in also. Technically have power armor ordered but undecided if I want to spend that much
s-l300.jpg

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
The statue that came with the European CE of Arkham Origins is incredible. I have a small collection of figures and statues and this one is legit one if the best Batman statues is have ever seen for less than say 500€. Flawless details and paint job.

91alKrYamlL._SL1500_.jpg

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
A1JZ3LtPFIL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I still use the bag it came with and the statue was pretty good quality. I got it at GameStop when it was on sale for the price of the regular game.

Nosgoth

Oct 28, 2017

I still use the bag it came with and the statue was pretty good quality. I got it at GameStop when it was on sale for the price of the regular game.

Yeah, man, this one is awesome. I too got the ce at the gamestop sale, and I've been carrying that bag ever since. I also wear that second son beanie when it's cold.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
For the ones I personally own:

The Eternal Arcadia (Skies of Arcadia) one is nice.

yu3w9wz.jpg

pvGiUyA.jpg

fFjJpzq.jpg

As is the Fire Emblem Thracia 776 Deluxe box:

ME5dDby.jpg

Pretty much all of Vic's ones from Working Design/Gajinworks too - Lunar, Growlanser, Summon Night....

Last edited:

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bioshock 2: Nice big box, prints w/ UV highlights, record, book, CD. All of it is fairly useful, unique stuff. I still have it all, unlike most CEs that end up with the little dingus toys tossed one day.

kiATliM.jpg

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I liked stranglehold collectors edition on PS3 because it came with hard boiled even if the transfer wasn't really HD.

Avantgarde

Oct 27, 2017
As storage space is getting limited and CE's are getting bigger and more bombastic, I have to be more selective and I have come to appreciate the most those CE's that pack good quality, relevant items in smaller, compact boxes, at a fair price, no nonsense.

Such examples are Oblivion CE, Spore, Witcher 1 EE, Mass Effect CE, Dreamfall LE, Divinity Anthology, etc…

As for my priorities when it comes to appreciating CE's, lore books / artbooks always come first, the bigger the better, then comes a special box that stands out on a shelf (see Anno 1404's wooden chest or Fallout Anthology's mini nuke), then an in-universe relevant, small item like a coin or a ring, then a good looking steelbook, then physical soundtrack.

While big statues are sometimes very eye catching, in my experience their quality (especially for faces) is so hit-and-miss, but I will keep collecting those in some series where I'm trapped, such as Assassin's Creed and Fallout.

n7gp3nW.jpg

IVtEKhL.jpg

QIznjed.jpg

EYbFjSC.jpg

IsEboMH.jpg

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
I have the DS3 one and I love it. Although in retrospect I wish I got the super expensive one with the Yhorm statue.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
I love my D:OS 2 CE.
Too dark in here for photos.
CE_1024x1024.jpg

Wow that minimalist Final Fantasy XIII-2 is gorgeous.
Anno ones too. Really nice.

Edit: Hated the Fallout 4 Pip Boy. In a few years when a semi functional version is feasible then yeah. Would've bought F4 CE in a heartbeat if it just had some enemy types as small models.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
The Last of Us Survival Edition was a steal at $80. Not a huge fan of the artwork on the steelbook though.

911tCvTVeML._AC_SL1500_.jpg

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
81xcC%2BbVjKL._SX466_.jpg

A collection of sonic's soundtracks, small artbook, documentary and interviews, a figurine, and a gold ring. All packed in one sturdy box.

Last edited:

Borowski

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Jun 24, 2018
The european Special Edition of The Last of Us

Might not be the most fancy of collector's editions, but given its price it was amazing

For 5 buck more than the standard edition, you got a lot of stuff

maxresdefault.jpg

Wolfman.JD

Nov 24, 2017
The european Special Edition of The Last of Us

Might not be the most fancy of collector's editions, but given its price it was amazing

For 5 buck more than the standard edition, you got a lot of stuff

maxresdefault.jpg

This has my vote, the store I got this from threw in the Joel and Ellie Sackboy key chains which have since become rare!

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
1261.fortunehunter.jpg

labo_afp.ashx

These ones are actually collectible because they're limited and can only be acquired by winning contests. Otherwise, the Bioshock 2 Special Edition would be my pick because it pays attention to the unboxing process/presentation and not just the package itself.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Most of DJMax Portable's stuff was great.

The EU Final Fantasy XIII-2 was a nicely put together package. Shame they've never done anything quite like that since then. Sample OSTs are shit and just pointless inclusions, unless you're doing a high quality vinyl, then it's different.

Recently though, the No No Kuni II EU one has been my fave. Super nice collection overall.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes they can be kinda lame, but ecapcom limited editions are often amazing.

n3ceL9W.jpg

3uMCPMk.png

They're also way too expensive though.

Mikachu

Oct 25, 2017
Undertale.

The Collector's edition includes:
  • The complete UNDERTALE soundtrack: Over 100 songs on 2 CDs
  • UNDERTALE sheet music booklet featuring six songs with annotations by Toby Fox
  • A 14k gold-plated brass music box locket
  • A sturdy matchbox-style collector's box
  • A standard edition copy of UNDERTALE for PS4, PS Vita, or PC
  • A 24-page storybooklet illustrated by Temmie Chang
I own this and it's great quality, the locket is great, the soundtrack is great, the art is great. It's a fantastic collectors edition

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
All the Blizzard CEs

I actually keep this one on display. Package styling is superb and the it actually looks/feels like an old action figure:

F9NBtSJ.jpg

shynra

Oct 27, 2017
How about the classic USA Working Design PS1 Lunar Silver Star Story Complete:
  • two game discs
  • hardbound instruction manual
  • soundtrack CD
  • "Making of Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete" special disc
  • Cloth map

Lunar%20-%20Silver%20Star%20Story%20Complete17.jpg

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
latest

Master Chief's fucking helmet
Probably the only collectors edition with a statue/model I've ever actually wanted, but as a new college student I didn't exactly have a ton of disposable income.

Sucks so bad that America never got that Samus Returns collectors edition. The Gameboy cartridge looking case and the keychain were great.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
dims

81hwyPiVQAL._SX522_.jpg

15803929209_9470af6014_b.jpg

I have and love all three of those and really hope FROM also has a Sekiro Collectors edition coming.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Every single one of these should've been the first reply. And all the ones I don't own too.

fDHRMwz.jpg

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Lol I came to post the Ni no Kuni II and Samus Returns ones, but I'm glad they've already been posted. Here's another really good one:

91mAxmVoShL.jpg

I still use that Sheikah slate Switch case. I just wish it had come with a steelbook.

I really would have loved the US edition, The UK version only came with the sword, game and soundtrack :/

Nov 3, 2017

Man I have this still, I don't know where the bag is and I replaced the Cole statue with the Kazuya/Heihachi statue from the T7 collectors BUT THIS WAS SUPER GOOD and the bag was a cool gimmick