• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
I'm getting into HTML/CSS... don't know which one to use (IE things like Sublime, VS Code, Atom etc). What do you guys use?

twentytwo22

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using VS Code for a while now and really like it. I probably can't give you as much feedback as others who have used each of them heavily, but VS Code meets my needs.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
I've been using Notepad++ for years and it does everything I need but I'm sure there's much better stuff these days. I should take a look at what others here suggest.

TheDanimal

победитель победитель куриный ужин
Oct 25, 2017
VS Code is just the best, use it!

less

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that you can necessarily pick a wrong editor to use though some may suit your workflow better I suppose. Personally switch between VScode and Sublime Text depending on my mood. Either one should be more than enough for you.

Oh, Brackets might be worth looking into as well.

Liyfda

Oct 27, 2017
VS Code is really great. If you like to try it on an iPad, Coda Editor is very good as well

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
VS Code. So many good plugins, themes, and great for typescript.
VS Code is just the best, use it!
VSCode is pretty close to the standard now for web development. If you're doing work with javascript/typescript, you won't find a better tool. Maybe webstorm but I don't have much experience with it

Nozem

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't really matter if it's just for html/css. Whatever editor you use, make sure to learn the basic shortcuts for multiple cursors, moving a line, duplicating a line etc as early as possible.

Oct 27, 2017
Use one that has live update (i.e. when you change your code, the corresponding web page will refresh automatically), it's the best QoL feature I think. Brackets does it I think.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't personally work on frontend work but my peers who do have recommended VSCode over Atom. Most started with the latter before ditching it for the former, why they did so I don't know.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
If it's specifically only HTML and CSS, Brackets has this
hero.png

real nice feature. If you do JS/TS there are worse choices than VSCode (mostly due to its out-of-the-box nature), but it is by no means the single best as it would seem reading this thread.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
PhpStorm is also pretty nice if you just want to use its html / css features

Macam

Nov 8, 2018
VS Code is the best default option. Works on any platform, plenty of plug ins, constantly getting improved.

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
VS Code is up there with NT 4.0, Active Directory and Fuzion Frenzy as GOAT Microsoft products

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
VS Code is the best there is, the best there was and the best there ever will be.

Sublime costs money, and the "Free" version always begs me to buy it.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
I like VS Code, but somehow Sublime feels better to me. Maybe it's like a tiny bit more responsive? VS Code always seems to have this barely perceptible sluggishness to me.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
vscode for lightweight, webstorm for batteries-included

Sublime for i-have-way-too-much-time-to-tailor-my-env

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
I don't do web specifically but I switched from Sublime to VS Code a couple weeks ago and I'm lovin' it.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Atom is my go to, VS isn't the end all be all tbh.

Would also second the Brackets suggestions. The live view on smart devices is great.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I switch between VS Code and Sublime. VS Code has a lot of customizability, and Sublime can get annoying if you only use the free version due to it periodically throwing a pop up for a registration code.

On my Raspberry Pi, I use Caret, which is a Chrome App that is essentially Sublime.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
I've been using Notepad++ for years and it does everything I need but I'm sure there's much better stuff these days. I should take a look at what others here suggest.
I'm a man of few needs so Notepad++ is my go to. People think I'm nuts but VS Code just never clicked with me.

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Visual Studio Code, as many have said. It's really great.

I don't personally work on frontend work but my peers who do have recommended VSCode over Atom. Most started with the latter before ditching it for the former, why they did so I don't know.
I did the same. Atom started to feel like it's bloated and has a lot of bugs and felt like its development was pretty slow, whereas Visual Studio Code just felt very smooth and actively developed, and if there are bugs they get solved quickly. But it's hard to say truly objectively.