• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey folks, I will be visiting my wife's family in Prague this year, but in addition to that we are making a stop in Germany for around 4 days. Which city should I visit in Germany? What is a must see?

Fraktur

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg is amazing. So is Berlin, I heard. But honestly it depends on what you're looking for.

Jan 2, 2018
I would recommend Hamburg! It's a bit like Germany's Venice with it's giant port area and the Speicherstadt. You need to take a boat ride through it if you visit Hamburg.

Don't trust anyone who is suggesting that Berlin is worth a visit, it's a terrible city and also not really German.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
I've been to Berlin and Stuttgart and really enjoyed both.

Berlin was cheaper if that's a factor, but it's a lot more touristy. Stuttgart was like super German.

OP
OP
Vire

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hamburg is amazing. So is Berlin, I heard. But honestly it depends on what you're looking for.
I would recommend Hamburg! It's a bit like Germany's Venice with it's giant port area and the Speicherstadt. You need to take a boat ride through it if you visit Hamburg.

Don't trust anyone who is suggesting that Berlin is worth a visit, it's a terrible city and also not really German.
Wow Hamburg looks beautiful. :)

Might have to extend our day by a few days. Haha.

Fraktur

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of a german version of Venice, I would recommend Tübingen - if a smaller (but still beautiful city) is ok for you. You can also ignore any person who's saying Munich.

killuglypop

Jan 9, 2020
I really enjoyed my time in Bremen and Cologne. Hamburg is awesome also, there were a ton of record stores if that's your thing!

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
I've only been to Berlin and a brief morning in Potsdam and I liked it very much, but I can't compare.

OP
OP
Vire

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been to Berlin and Stuttgart and really enjoyed both.

Berlin was cheaper if that's a factor, but it's a lot more touristy. Stuttgart was like super German.
The "super german" part definitely appeals to me. I want to see the old cottage houses, castles, get some schnitzel, beer all that good stuff.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
The only people that don't like Berlin are other Germans. Berlin is cool, has a great food and beer scene and is a relatively short train ride from Prague. The museums are really good (though can get really stuffy when it's hot outside). West Berlin kind of feels like downtown Chicago without the skyscrapers and east Berlin is (I think) a cooler, more outdoor and cafe oriented area. I had a lot of fun walking around Prenzlauer Berg, going into record stores and stopping at local craft beer places. Dresden is also on the way between Berlin and Prague and is worth going to the "Old Town" for like a day.

I wouldn't necessarily suggest Berlin over any other place in Germany, but it makes a lot sense coming from Prague.

OP
OP
Vire

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only people that don't like Berlin are other Germans. Berlin is cool, has a great food and beer scene and is a relatively short train ride from Prague. The museums are really good (though can get really stuffy when it's hot outside). West Berlin kind of feels like downtown Chicago without the skyscrapers and east Berlin is (I think) a cooler, more outdoor and cafe oriented area. I had a lot of fun walking around Prenzlauer Berg, going into record stores and stopping at local craft beer places. Dresden is also on the way between Berlin and Prague and is worth going to the "Old Town" for like a day.

I wouldn't necessarily suggest Berlin over any other place in Germany, but it makes a lot sense coming from Prague.
I don't mind taking a long train from Prague. We visited Russia last year Moscow to Kaliningrad wasn't exactly close. :)

I appreciate the suggestions everyone.
If she's cool he should take her with him!
She would be way into that, she is the type of wife who stops me to point out some other girls huge boobs.

Nov 17, 2017
Dusseldorf is a nice one I don't usually see people talking about.

dusseldorf-header-image.jpg

The Altstadt is fun to explore - it's really walkable. I also really liked the beer and hanging out by the river. Didn't feel like it was too toursity either.

Speaking of a german version of Venice, I would recommend Tübingen - if a smaller (but still beautiful city) is ok for you. You can also ignore any person who's saying Munich.
Seconding Tubingen. It's freaking beautiful. I might say go to Stuttgart and take the train to Tubingen for a day since it's a smaller town.

Oct 28, 2017
What do you want to see?

Berlin is getting pretty crowded and the alternative scene it was famous for is disappearing fast, but it's still absolutely worth a visit. Tons of sights, museums and cultural events. Just skip Checkpoint Charlie, there's nothing there. Go to Potsdam instead.

Hamburg is probably the city I like the most, but that's because I'm a seaside person and love the harbour atmosphere. Berlin and Munich probably still have a lot more actual sights.

Keep in mind most city centers are pretty modern, so if you want to see all the medieval stuff, visiting some smaller town is really worth it. Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Bamberg, Limburg, Würzburg...

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Dusseldorf is a nice one I don't usually see people talking about.

dusseldorf-header-image.jpg

The Altstadt is fun to explore - it's really walkable. I also really liked the beer and hanging out by the river. Didn't feel like it was too toursity either.

Seconding Tubingen. It's freaking beautiful. I might say go to Stuttgart and take the train to Tubingen for a day since it's a smaller town.

I've been to Dusseldorf three times and I keep coming away with the impression that it's like... fine? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It's not actively bad, but there's something a bit dull about it.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Berlin was the most fun I had on my last trip.

Aachen was a great little stop, too.

Cologne is nice but touristy.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I've been to Dusseldorf three times and I keep coming away with the impression that it's like... fine? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It's not actively bad, but there's something a bit dull about it.
As someone who has moved near düsseldorf last year it feels like the most pointless city ever

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
If you like medieval stuff, the castle and old city center of Nuremberg is really cool

1280px-Nuernberg-Burg.jpg

kaiserburg-castle-nuremberg-bavaria-germany-picture-id126980479

Or in our GamerTerms: Basically German Novigrad ;)

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
I love Munich. Watching people surfing in the English garden while having a beer at the Chinese Temple was one of the best days of my life.

Also the Bavarian tourist board gives you all sorts of free stuff; we stayed at Ruhpolding and got free daily tickets to the Lido and local theme park and one off tickets to a cable car ride and alpine rollercoaster.

Benjamin1981

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Don't believe anyone who recommends Berlin over Hamburg. And as Dr. Phibes said you should visit Lübeck. Beautiful city.

OP
OP
Vire

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So far I'm thinking Berlin and then Hamburg... I wish I could see it all but I have such a short time there considering the first half of the trip is in Prague.

You guys are making me really excited though, can't wait for May.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
Berlin is great for a one time visit because of it's hisroric relevance, otherwise it's a shithole (I live in Berlin).

I'd say Munich is the most beautiful city of the big ones and can be combined with trips around the bavarian nature.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
So far I'm thinking Berlin and then Hamburg... I wish I could see it all but I have such a short time there considering the first half of the trip is in Prague.

You guys are making me really excited though, can't wait for May.
For what it's worth I did Prague, Dresden, and Berlin last summer and I was done with Prague in two days. It was super cheap, though.

raiod

Oct 26, 2017
Come to Würzburg, we have... wine? And a Castle on a hill that is definitly not called "Spice Castle" ;-)
And Frankfurt, Nürnberg, Bamberg and Stuttgart are only 100km away.

OP
OP
Vire

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For what it's worth I did Prague, Dresden, and Berlin last summer and I was done with Prague in two days. It was super cheap, though.
Well the thing is, her family lives in Zelenogradsk, Russia and so the idea is for me to be able to see new places at the same time as her being able to see her family. So while I am excited to see Prague, that part of the trip is more about reuniting with her Mum and sister (who I also love seeing!)

If you go in May i can recommend the hamburg harbor anniversary.

Fantastic, thank you for the heads up.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Does it have to be typical big tourist cities? Many great suggestions here in that regard (Hamburg, Munich, etc.).

If you like it more rural you should visit Rügen or Usedom, both isles in the Baltic Sea, the latter right at the border to Poland. Great beaches and nature there.
shutterstock_192055589.jpg

I'd also recommend the Black Forest (Schwarzwald) or the Palatinate Forest (Pfälzerwald), the latter being the biggest continuous forest in Germany:
111625_XL.jpg

If you coming from Czech Republik it's convenient to visit the Ore Mountains (Erzgebirge):
cache_43095111.jpg

If you come to Rostock in Northern Germany I buy you a beer:
rostockmarkt100_v-contentxl.jpg

Untitled%20%2817%29.png

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
The "super german" part definitely appeals to me. I want to see the old cottage houses, castles, get some schnitzel, beer all that good stuff.
The stereotypical lederhosen, beer and pretzels stuff is based on Bavaria, dunno how well you get that from the big cities there vs the smaller towns in the mountains.