• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I'm an introvert and loathe office politics, so I took the plunge several years ago and went full-time freelance writer. I work from home, and the majority of my communications are via email, with only the occasional call/video conference when required. I sacrificed the security of employee benefits, but the upside is I also don't deal with other employees, have no commute, wear whatever I want to work and have a cat on my desk.

There's no amount of money that would drag me back to a traditional 9-5 job surrounded by co-workers, politicking and weekly office meetings.

Dec 6, 2018
I've been seeing a lot of your threads recently OP, especially about career stuff. I can empathize a bit, in my case, and maybe yours, I tend to overthink "being qualified" for a particular job. Every job has its own environment that will lean more intro/extravert in whatever situation. I still stay with my suggestion of local government work where you can talk as little or as much with people as you want with the slower pace, at least with my experience. Honestly though, you seem like a hard worker and I think that speaks enough for itself, don't count yourself out because of how you view yourself in the moment

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't know why people say this... you gotta deal with people from all fucking sides of the plate, clients, colleagues, people in forums and stack overflow, not to mention going to talks, conferences, like... it's a super social job.
Not really, I'm an introvert web developer and the only annoying part is dealing with clients on the phone, but it's not happening every day, emails are simpler.
I work in a small communication company, we are only 4 in an open space and are like friends, the other 3 are graphic artists, I'm the only one handling web, apps, servers, ... I use stack overflow and forums sometimes but I don't interact, I don't go to talks or conferences either.

80% of the time I'm just doing my job while listening to music to isolate myself from the noise (we receive many calls that don't deal with the web part most of the time).

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
I've been seeing a lot of your threads recently OP, especially about career stuff. I can empathize a bit, in my case, and maybe yours, I tend to overthink "being qualified" for a particular job. Every job has its own environment that will lean more intro/extravert in whatever situation. I still stay with my suggestion of local government work where you can talk as little or as much with people as you want with the slower pace, at least with my experience. Honestly though, you seem like a hard worker and I think that speaks enough for itself, don't count yourself out because of how you view yourself in the moment
I would love to do some government work, I guess it's taken me long to figure out what field to specialize in, but now that I've narrowed it down to finance I think I could find something there.
Are you in government?

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Not really. You're constantly interacting with people and have to be "on" whenever you're in front of a camera. Not saying introverts can't do it, there are plenty of clearly introverted successful streamers, but it's definitely more suited to extroverts imo.

I said it (half jokingly) as an introverted YouTuber. There are absolutely ways to make it work

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know why people say this... you gotta deal with people from all fucking sides of the plate, clients, colleagues, people in forums and stack overflow, not to mention going to talks, conferences, like... it's a super social job.

Because people just Like slapping labels on stuff and stereotyping positions. The common software dev office at most big places is the opposite of "introverted"

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Not really, I'm an introvert web developer and the only annoying part is dealing with clients on the phone, but it's not happening every day, emails are simpler.
I work in a small communication company, we are only 4 in an open space and are like friends, the other 3 are graphic artists, I'm the only one handling web, apps, servers, ... I use stack overflow and forums sometimes but I don't interact, I don't go to talks or conferences either.

80% of the time I'm just doing my job while listening to music to isolate myself from the noise (we receive many calls that don't deal with the web part most of the time).

I really wouldn't say this doesn't reflect the majority of web development though, especially if you're dealing with designers/clients and stuff.. like, i couldn't even choose to be more introverted at work if i wanted to, communication is key to so much of the process.

Could be the case in more product oriented software houses but still...

Dec 6, 2018
I would love to do some government work, I guess it's taken me long to figure out what field to specialize in, but now that I've narrowed it down to finance I think I could find something there.
Are you in government?
Not exactly, I did a internship with the IL board of ed so I got to see how the environment was, probably going back in the spring if I can get funding. I'm super anti the new wave work environment of open everything and it was just right for me. Your lucky though, finance goes a long way so you still have a lot to choose from between all the agencies

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Off the top of my head, help desk support IT. Plenty of jobs working from home there. Programmer, obviously.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
I know the finance sector isn't strictly "wolf of wallstreet" but those type of people scare the shit out of me, and I don't have an """"alpha""""" cell in my body. I just don't like "dog eat dog" type of workplaces, and in scared that that's what I'm getting myself into going in finance

Ok, that's a movie; a movie about a high level Wall Street trader. This is not the same as being an account peon. I'm a software engineer. That would be like me comparing my field to the early Apple vs Microsoft shit. It's not a thing. Your level of exposure would be highly dependent on the level of account(s) you take on.
Regular corporate work should be pretty quiet.
If you end up being some celebrity/politician accountant, well, expect to talk to more people.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
I can think of only very few jobs that are more suitable for introverts than extroverts. The world is pretty much designed for extroverts. Customers, patients, coworkers, managers,... put way more trust in extroverts even if they're bad at their job. It's all about appearance.

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
so, introverts, low confidence people, what's a good career goal?
Introversion and low confidence are two very different things and you can have one without the other. You can also more easily work on and improve your confidence, while introversion seems to be more heavily ingrained into your personality.

NOT teacher. I'll tell you that straight up.
Yeah, about that. I'm both a pretty strong introvert and a teacher, and I do love my job.

This sounds like a contradiction, but I experience that standing in front of a class and interacting with pupils is not nearly as draining for me as other social interactions. Also I enjoy the considerable freedom and autonomy I have in planning and performing my own courses (Gymnasium level in Switzerland, for reference. Might not be the case for teaching in general, I just got lucky).

Last edited:

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
First guys to get fired, too.

Maybe in the gaming industry, but not in any other. There aren't enough of us. Any industry that weathers recessions will hold onto us.

-1x-1.png

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very introverted and I work in customer support. When I'm talking to people about solving problems and don't have to worry about social stuff it's not bad at all.

Yep.

I'm very introverted but have spent 5 years doing customer service.

If anything, I feel like it's helped because I can emphasise with people more.

And yet I'm still completely against public speaking or even phoning people for my own queries!

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
Being an introvert myself I think what helps me in any job is being focused on the task helps a lot.

Keeping things professional helps me get through the day dealing with large crowds, meetings, hosting, etc. Also well structured environment and established roles help a lot. I hate working when no one knows what is going on or who is in charge.

If I'm in a situation were I'm leading, I just trust my team will do their job and be as hands off as possible and only engage if something is lacking, or needs correction.

As far as social aspect of the work, I try to keep things one on one, and people will take the hint, maybe a drink or two and they don't expect much beyond that, and there is always that guy or girl who is just going to dominate the room anyway so i never feel pressure to engage in socializing because somebody is doing it for everybody.

I know you said you know yourself already but I would suggest try working with the mentality keeping it professional it may lead you into a career path you thought you could never do.

Brandson

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking as an introvert lawyer, don't let being an introvert close opportunities for you. Even performers can be introverts. The thing that I found helps the most, as others have said, is confidence. The way I become confident is to become an expert in whatever I am doing, through lots of preparation and experience. When I am prepared for any question thrown at me because I have already heard it and answered it many times before, confidence comes naturally. Be excellent at whatever you choose to do and I think you'll find that being an introvert can be a gift in a sense, because it forces you to really be great at something before you put yourself out there.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
You are probably fine in finance. Engineering would be fine as well. More technical would be better.

Oct 26, 2017
Software developer. There have been days where I legit went into the office, didn't talk to anyone, worked the whole day, and went home. It's wonderful.

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Jeez OP. Stop limiting yourself based on a sticker you decided to stick on your body.

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
Software development with flexible hours and work from home encouraged. Get to be introverted and interact in bursts, it is perfect.

Nice shift from everyone must dress up in office with open concept chattering. Half the day is wasted on vanity and chit chat.

+1, also putting on noise cancelling headphones all day is not discouraged and you can also dress like a slob :)

Oct 27, 2017
What brought this up for me is that there was this presentation at school, I'm in the business program, and these student "leaders" or whatever, spoke to us, and there was this one girl, omg, if this girl is a CEO of something 15 years from now, then I can totally say I ducking called it.
She just had this ultimate confidence to herself and was able to command the room like a boss.
i feel like I'll never be able to do that. That's just not me.
and for context in 26 years old, was in the navy, and did some other jobs before that, so don't say "oh you're young, you'll get there"
Nah
I think it's important for me to accept myself and personality for what it is, and move forward with that in mind. The girl that spoke was at most like 22 years old, and she had "Executive" written all over her. I don't see that in me when I'm honest wirh myself.

So, how does one come to accept that, shit, there are certain roles im just not cut out for?

My current plan is to graduate with a degree in finance and get a financial analyst position and work that for a couple years before I decide what to do after that.

so, introverts, low confidence people, what's a good career goal?
Day trading, considering you'll get a degree in Finance. Most day traders works from home which is the perfect working environment for an introvert.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
introverts can be leaders

you just need to realize that you're essentially acting the part. it usually won't feel natural. you're just pretending to be a certain type. no different than anyone in any service job tbh

Deleted member 48991

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Do whatever you like to do and don't box yourself in. I used to think I was an introvert (and some people who like to put people in boxes would still categorize me like that) but I noticed anything can be learned (or fake it until you make it). Though, if you feel like you have some social issues which would prevent you from functioning well in a job I recommend you to see someone who can help you improve your social skills (maybe your school offers that?).

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Try for something that puts you in a research/analysis/maintenance capacity. Database manager, data scientist, operational support.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Expectation: Become a tech consultant, where you're hired to work on the projects behind the scenes

Actual: Get thrown in front of the client because you're good at dumbing down shit and have charisma

Fuck

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Forcing myself to become a little more extrovert is probably one of the best things I could have ever done. It's exhausting, yes, but that's why I cocoon myself after non-stop interaction with people after a while.

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking as an introvert lawyer, don't let being an introvert close opportunities for you. Even performers can be introverts. The thing that I found helps the most, as others have said, is confidence. The way I become confident is to become an expert in whatever I am doing, through lots of preparation and experience. When I am prepared for any question thrown at me because I have already heard it and answered it many times before, confidence comes naturally. Be excellent at whatever you choose to do and I think you'll find that being an introvert can be a gift in a sense, because it forces you to really be great at something before you put yourself out there.
+1

I forgot the name of this technique but I do something similar but i take it even further beyond being just good at what I do, I pretty much run out scenarios in my head going in situation and expecting an absolute disaster professionally and personally. With a 99.99% certainty the worse wont happen I end up way more relaxed, satisfied and a little surprised how things work out and if I meet new people they turn out to be good folks to work with. In an event something bad does happen or a new person i meet at work is not what I find pleasent to work with I am at least mentally prepared to deal with the situation.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
My boss calls himself a "self taught extrovert". He's very respected and liked as a leader, but can also be considered blunt and inconsiderate by certain people. My point is that you don't have to fall into the common "introverted" roles in your professional life, where you avoid social contact or difficult situations because it doesn't fit your apparent personality or skill set. You can break out of that and still be comfortable, even if you'll be a bit unconventional.

x3sphere

Oct 27, 2017

I would say some of that largely depends on the company. I don't really have a ton of client interaction in my role as a web developer. Usually it's the project manager that handles client interaction. They get feedback from the client and provide progress updates, etc. I mostly just handle requests sent to me from the PM. There's a fair amount of team collaboration, though.

Tbh I would say it's a fine career path for introverts in my experience.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
Work with something you're passionate about and I believe you will be happy and content. You don't need to be a high up executive if you feel like you'll be uncomfortable in the role.

But I think thst there's a difference in being introverted and just suffering from low confidence? You can work on that by putting yourself in uncomfortable situations, then grow from the experience.