• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
My GCU expires in 2 weeks time. Trying to buy any last minute games for cheap, particularly Switch games. Too bad DQXI isn't up. Might buy Smash or Mario Party, but I usually wait on Nintendo sales to buy. Man, gonna miss GCU :'(. Now no more reason to visit BB.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I just wanted to update the thread and say that a Best Buy rep on their forums came through for me after my coupon link expired and I am very happy with their customer service.

Thanks to domthybomb for the link and information, and I encourage anyone who missed their 25% off coupon when the link expired to contact them on their forums. I PM'd Faith-BBY in that thread.

Best Buy Forum Thread
I replied to her as well. Hoping she can help.

naitosan

Oct 28, 2017
So wished I re upped it until 2025 at least. Oh well. Before mine expired, I spammed pre order a bunch of games lol.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
I went on a preordering spree right before my GCU expired last fall. Yesterday I got two emails from Best Buy saying they cancelled two of my preorders (Cyberpunk and Dying Light 2) due to them getting 'delayed.' Shit sucks.

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
Is this coupon still being sent out? If so, about when should I expect it? My execution day is February 15.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I hate when this topic pops back up because I assume there is really bad news inside. Like Best Buy decides to stop everyone's, even those who still have it for a year or longer from now.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I know, you guys are going to hate me for the bump, but I didn't want to create a new thread, as this isn't really new news, just an update.

If your GCU is expiring soon, you won't receive this coupon until 5 days before it expires. My GCU runs out on Feb 13th and after contacting one of the social experts on the forum, this was the time frame that was given to me. (I used my last GCU discount + the coupon on MK11 Premium Edition.)

It does stack with the GCU discount, so plan ahead and accordingly. If you are using a debit or credit card, they will do a pre-authorization on your account, but it will roll off in 1-2 days.

Goodbye, GCU. (and Elite Plus membership; I can't see myself shopping at Best Buy that much anymore.) It was the best of times.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I know, you guys are going to hate me for the bump, but I didn't want to create a new thread, as this isn't really new news, just an update.

If your GCU is expiring soon, you won't receive this coupon until 5 days before it expires. My GCU runs out on Feb 13th and after contacting one of the social experts on the forum, this was the time frame that was given to me. (I used my last GCU discount + the coupon on MK11 Premium Edition.)

It does stack with the GCU discount, so plan ahead and accordingly. If you are using a debit or credit card, they will do a pre-authorization on your account, but it will roll off in 1-2 days.

Goodbye, GCU. (and Elite Plus membership; I can't see myself shopping at Best Buy that much anymore.) It was the best of times.

Can confirm it's 5 days. Mine expires on the 18th, and I just got my email. Really upsetting to lose this awesome discount after having enjoyed it for years.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Mine is expiring in 5 days, bought 2 Switch games (VC4 and Torna - both are on sale too), will see if there is anything else I want over the weekend. RIP GCU :/

RedHotHero

Nov 24, 2017

My game buying dropped off drastically- and general spending at Best Buy too- after I lost my GCU. I had elite plus's for years too. Shame

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking of putting this towards Days Gone, since mine expired back in February and have $20 in Rewards to burn as well. Entertained the CE, but don't need another plastic piece sitting around and the digital stuff seems to be just early unlocks, correct?

Oct 27, 2017
The number of $10 reward games hasn't been promising this year. So far it's been Pokemon and (just added) Rage 2.

I think all these game-discount players were predicting a stronger on-autopilot economy in 2019. Curious to see where retail game spending ends up vs. digital or non-physical storefronts.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Mine expires this summer. I had no time to play Resident Evil 2 earlier in the year, so when it went on sale for $40 a few weeks ago it was nice to get it for $32. Will probably pick up Yoshi for $48 when I can and maybe some other Switch games given they rarely go on sale.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
The number of $10 reward games hasn't been promising this year. So far it's been Pokemon and (just added) Rage 2.

I think all these game-discount players were predicting a stronger on-autopilot economy in 2019. Curious to see where retail game spending ends up vs. digital or non-physical storefronts.

Mine expires in Jan 2020 and I'm abusing the fuck out of it until then. That said, once it is up, I'll be tackling the backlog and spending a ton less. (I spend a ridiculous amount on video games. It is shameful) but mostly because I can. I did before the Prime/GCU discount as well but they gave me a bit of incentive to amp it up. Now? I don't know. Both of them being discontinued leaves a sour taste in my mouth and even though it really doesn't affect my ability to buy I kinda don't want to as much. If I can train myself to buy on sale and save the money then I really should. I'm rambling a bit but I think it should have been revamped rather that discontinued as I think it hurts the people who really relied on the savings it brought.

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
Mine expired earlier this month also :(

Going to miss it, definitely will not be buying as many day one games without it.

StAidan

Oct 25, 2017
I should be getting my coupon next week. Sad that the discounts are ending, I saved a lot of money with GCU over the years.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Mine expired earlier this year and I got a code too.

Really dumb of Best Buy to discontinue this program. Hopefully they'll bring it back. Otherwise, Amazon is going to destroy them lol.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
apologies for the bump, but how long was this coupon supposed to be good for? I looked at it when I got it back on June 20th by clicking the link to get coupon in the email. I couldve swore it had a super long expiration date, like sometime in early 2020. But now when I click the get coupon button it takes me to a 404 error page and says: "The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable."

I was trying to use it on the last of us earlier and noticed this.

dom

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
apologies for the bump, but how long was this coupon supposed to be good for? I looked at it when I got it back on June 20th by clicking the link to get coupon in the email. I couldve swore it had a super long expiration date, like sometime in early 2020. But now when I click the get coupon button it takes me to a 404 error page and says: "The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable."

You're gonna have to try their forums with help. This also happened to me but I still had it in my browser history when it happend and then saved the page as a pdf.

irishonion

Oct 25, 2017

I had the same thing. Was annoying. Was planning on useing it on something 2 weeks before expiration date, but got error.

I saw someone on their fourms with same problem and the mods there had to PM them, not sure if it ever for resolved. Wasn't worth the trouble for me.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017

I just recently got mine, and mine was good for 6 months from the day they sent it to me. However, I opened it just now to check, and the date range has changed! It's now saying 6 months from today... So something is up with their expiration dates.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
You're gonna have to try their forums with help. This also happened to me but I still had it in my browser history when it happend and then saved the page as a pdf.
I had the same thing. Was annoying. Was planning on useing it on something 2 weeks before expiration date, but got error.

I saw someone on their fourms with same problem and the mods there had to PM them, not sure if it ever for resolved. Wasn't worth the trouble for me.

thanks, i tried the forums. They couldnt do anything other than offer me 750 reward points

dom

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
thanks, i tried the forums. They couldnt do anything other than offer me 750 reward points
That's not bad, wouldn't be as great if you were intending on getting a version of a game over $60. You can use that to your advantage though. Go in-store and pricematch a new game with Walmart, as they usually have stuff for $49.97.

Aug 1, 2018
Welp, today I join the ranks of those whose GCU membership has expired.

Yesterday I went on a preordering binge and got everything that I planned on preordering, but I guess from here on out I'll only be buying new games during Labor Day and Black Friday/Cyber Monday now, haha

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Same, atleast i pre ordered what i know comes out in 2020 to get that discount early. Cant complain.

For sure! I managed to snag the Ellie Edition of TLOU II, DOOM Eternal and CyberPunk before it went away. I was hoping Halo Infinite would've been available to pre-order, but that won't happen until E3 at minimum. I'll miss GCU I had it since 2014 (first used it on Titanfall 1 CE) lol