• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Best Bad Non-MCU Film Series

• Punisher and Punisher Warzone

Votes: 27 15.0%
  • Daredevil and Elektra

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • Fantastic Four and Rise of the Silver Surfer

Votes: 26 14.4%
  • Ghost Rider and Spirit of Vengeance

Votes: 14 7.8%
  • Amazing Spider-Man 1 and 2

Votes: 40 22.2%
  • Does Blade Count?

Votes: 65 36.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We do a lot of discussions about the MCU, or even the worst of the non-MCU films, so I thought we'd go elsewhere with it this time.

So the criteria for this is:
  1. Can't be part of the MCU
  2. No one-offs
  3. YOU CAN'T JUST HAVE BLADE 1 AND 2. YOU HAVE TO TAKE 3
You're gonna want to weigh these as the sum of their parts. As a result I'm not adding in X-Men because I can't really consider that bad as a whole when you factor in a majority.

Last edited:

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I really enjoyed the first Amazing Spider-Man movie. It wasn't perfect, but I liked it.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Blades are too good to be there

I vote for The Punsiher, but director's cut of Daredevil is pretty above anything on that list. Too bad Elektra is pretty below anything on that list =P

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I'd probably say:

1. Raimi Spider-Man
2. X-Men (inc. Deadpool)
3. Blade
4. Everything else as is "meh, not that great" to "stone cold awful."

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I voted the Fantastic Four one because that's the only case where I actually saw all of the films in the series. I'm good at avoiding shit sequels, but they tricked me into thinking Rise of the Silver Surfer might be good.

It's not.

I'll be happy to be proven wrong that some of those other ones are worse, though. Just so it doesn't feel like I've wasted my time too badly.

OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Blades are too good to be there

I vote for The Punsiher, but director's cut of Daredevil is pretty above anything on that list. Too bad Elektra is pretty below anything on that list =P
Blade is there because the first two are hammy fun and Trinity is a trash fire so I was conflicted

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed the first Amazing Spider-Man movie. It wasn't perfect, but I liked it.

I liked it at the time, but considering the franchise went nowhere, all you're left is a film that's just a boring rehash of Raimi's first Spider-Man film... except worse.

Anyone remember when TASM1 was marketed as the "untold story."

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I had fun with the dumb Fantastic Four movies lol. The first Amazing Spiderman was decent, too.

Also, isn't Blade supposed to be good?

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
I'll take DTV-esque action schlock like the Punisher movies over those stupid amazing spider man movies any day

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I'll be happy to be proven wrong that some of those other ones are worse, though. Just so it doesn't feel like I've wasted my time too badly.

xwRS8Ps.png

ATfzK4n.png

More than DOUBLE the tomatometer

Blade is there because the first two are hammy fun and Trinity is a trash fire so I was conflicted

Blade 3 is still miles better than most of those movies. Blade 3 is basically Ryan Reynolds audiction tape for deadpool =P

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I'll just rank them because I actually liked a lot of them and all those franchises fluctuate in overall quality

Great
Blade 1+2, The Amazing Spider-Man, Punisher (Lundgren), Punisher (Thomas Jane), Ghost Rider 2

Good
Daredevil, Punisher Warzone, Ghost Rider 1, Ghost Rider 2

Not so good
Fantastic Four, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Ghost Rider 2

Bad
Blade Trinity, Elektra, Rise of the Silver Surfer, Ghost Rider 2

You see, Ghost Rider 2 is all kinds of Great, Good, Not so Good and really, really bad. That movie was remarkable.

Elektra is probably the worst modern super-hero movie. Truly bad. But I liked Daredevil, so the "franchise" isn't all that bad.

Blade is better than most of the MCU films.
This is true. Blade is a classic.

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
Honestly, Amazing Spider-Man has always made feel pretty good. I know they're pretty much despised, but there's a lot of things going for them (and yes, going against them)

I also... Kind of like the second one more than the first one, or I guess I like the first one as a whole, but the second one has some of the best scenes and some of the worst scenes. Its how uneven it feels that really hits it for me. But atleast its way more fun than Amazing 1 in my eyes.

I'd say Amazing > Blade (if it counts)> the old Fantastic Four movies (not the latest one) would be my top 3 :p

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
I at least enjoyed Andrew Garfield as Spider-Man. First movie was ok, but second was bad.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Blade, since the first two films in that trilogy are better than any of the other films in that poll. Amazing Spider-Man 2 is worse than the first Fantastic 4 movie people come on.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Ghost Rider 2 and Punisher Warzone both fall into "So Bad, It's Good" territory.

I feel like that's being really unfair to War Zone. War Zone if nothing else at least nails having Punisher turn everything into an absolute bloodbath.

Spirit of Vengeance does Ghost Rider dirtier than the first one in every way except the crane scene.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
Blade 1 & 2 are good and better than the average MCU movie. Punisher: Warzone and Ghost Rider 2 are likable, fun trash. The rest mostly sucks.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Never seen Blade movies except for III.

I unironically love the Fantastic Four movies.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
The Blade movies are the best superhero/comic book movies ever made. Suggesting that either of them are bad offends me.

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020
I watched the mid-2000s Fantastic Four for the first time last year after reading most of the Silver Age and Hickman runs.

Hoo boy.

The butchering of Dr. Doom. Having Invisible Woman strip to actually be invisible. The edgy snowboarding and motocross sequences.

It's a 2000s Fox executive's wet dream.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I watched the mid-2000s Fantastic Four for the first time last year after reading most of the Silver Age and Hickman runs.

Hoo boy.

The butchering of Dr. Doom. Having Invisible Woman strip to actually be invisible. The edgy snowboarding and motocross sequences.

It's a 2000s Fox executive's wet dream.

Do yourself a favor and dont bother with Rise of the Silver Surfer. Somehow, it's so much worse.

I'm a massive FF fan and the first movie is somewhat tolerable compared to the sequel.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
The first two Punisher movies are good, and I keep hoping they bring back Thomas Jane to the role one day. I thought Warzone was pretty terrible.

Daredevil Director's Cut is a much better, and different film than the theatrical version. Blade shouldn't even be on the list as Blade Trinity was the only one that was truly bad.

Brainiac 8

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, Fantastic Four 1 & 2 are guilty pleasures of mine. I legit enjoy both of them and love Evans and Chiklis in them.

Amazing Spider-Man 1 & 2 are not great Spider-Man movies but both have enough good stuff in them that I still enjoy watching them and happily own them both.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Blades great so it should not be there.

Fantastic four actually does have some decent moments, and does have that family comedy vibe to it so ill give it a pass. Ghost Riders fine, amazing spiderman 1&2 have okay moments but are mostly bland, and Punisher/Warzone are so dumb and great.

Id say Daredevil and Elektra and two most outright bad films

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
You can't just take Blade 1 and 2. You HAVE to accept Blade Trinity

Then I'll take NOTHING

Blade I was the only pre-MCU marvel movie that actually felt like they gave a real shit about the source material. Everything else was about adapting dumb manbabies' comic books to the high art form of early 2000s Hollywood sensiblities

(Blade II is just okay)

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
If we are limiting this to "bad", then Blade(two great, one disaster) and The Punisher(one mediocre, one great) shouldn't be here.

And that means Ghost Rider wins because Spirit of Vengeance, while not great, has enough interesting stuff in it to make it a worthwhile experience.

That alone is worth more than both Amazing Spider-mans combined.