• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vote for the best

• The Avengers

Votes: 46 7.2%
  • The Avengers: Age of Ultron

Votes: 9 1.4%
  • The Avengers: Infinity War

Votes: 436 67.9%
  • The Avengers: Endgame

Votes: 151 23.5%

• Total voters
OP
OP
BloodRayne

BloodRayne

Jul 3, 2020
Age of Ultron was just bad.

Back when it was released I remember there were people defending it but it seems like they've faded away as the franchise went on.

There were also those who critized it very harshly! I think it was just underwhelming. After how Ultron was hyped up he ended up being not what I was expecting, and the HYDRA subplot was just thrown away... Von Strucker was killed off screen.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Age of Ultron was alright. Always found that movie to be weirdly over-hated - because I really don't think it's like distinctively worse than other MCU stuff - but then I may be biased because I do love me some James Spader. He can do no wrong.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Avengers is a fine movie with zero rewatch value

Ultron sucks. It's just bad

Infinity War I fell asleep during parts of it but nice action etc

Endgame has nice action, pretty emotional ending, everyone's there, so that one

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The first Avengers is very much a product of its time and doesn't hold up. 5.5/10.

Age of Ultron was always bad. 4/10.

Infinity War is not only an incredible narrative step forward for the MCU but also a genuinely engrossing thriller with a stunning ending. 9.5/10.

Endgame is messy and doesn't really peak until the last twenty-five minutes but as a vehicle for fan service and a story wrap up for multiple characters, it's solid and gets the job done. Movie would be improved tenfold without the "hello, fellow kids" bullshit like Hulk dabbing and Thor playing Fortnite. Genuinely embarrassing and dated the movie instantly. 7.5/10.

Oct 8, 2019
Avengers - Relatively solid plot, good characterization, and the only one that didnt feel the need to overstuff the show with cameos. I didnt need to see Odin announce to Thor that Loki is on Midgard, and so they didnt show me Odin announcing to Thor that Loki is on Midgard, he just shows up in a thunder storm.

Age of Ultron - A film that has a weird quippy robot for an enemy. Why Ultron? The trailer was so much better than the actual film. Why treat Baron Von Strucker as a joke? The rest of the films treat Hydra seriously, so its just weirdly out of place when you just write this guy as a complete loser. Quicksilver shows up and is anti-climatically killed, and is rarely mentioned since. The scenes with Vision are all great.

Infinity War - A good film that is ruined by the Soul Gem scene, which is just lazy writing to create some drama, and the Red Skull is by far the most gratuitous cameo in the entire MCU. Why him? Other people abused the infinity gems, hell they knew what they were, the Red Skull just had the tesseract.

Endgame - A stereotype of everything wrong with the MCU, hey why have your big moment be a dramatic moment with character where you can just have a big flashy scene where you just put "Please Cheer" at the bottom. The Portal scene is better out of context. The highlight of the film was Thor screaming at a child and threatening to murder him because of Fortnite. Time heist itself was good so its better than Age of Ultron.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I understand why people like Infinity War so much but for me Endgame just edges it. I really liked its slower and emotional moments and the ending is simply glorious.

Stath

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Mar 4, 2022
It continues to be super-weird to see people shit on Endgame in the same breath they're praising Infinity War. I love both.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Infinity War I guess, but none of them are good IMO. The worst is definitely Age of Ultron, probably the worst movie in the MCU.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
From that list: infinity wars > endgame >>> avengers >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> age of ultron

But really the best Avengers movie is Civil War.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
It continues to be super-weird to see people shit on Endgame in the same breath they're praising Infinity War. I love both.

Also Infinity war can only end in the 'dramatic' way it does *because* endgame is there to close things out. Its like RotJ/ESB. People love Empire and often look down on Jedi. But they're a pair and only work as a pair. If there was no Jedi the ending of Empire couldn't have been what it was.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Infinity war hands down. I'm the furthest thing from a Marvel Stan but I will stan that movie every day

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
If I look at every movie individually, and what they accomplished as films in their own right, and not swirling pots of nostalgia for a cinematic universe that encompassed over a dozen films...

Then it's the first Avengers film. And not even close.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's a toss up between the last two for me. I like the dread and focus on Thanos in IW but Endgame brings everything to a close exceptionally well. The last shot in the movie gave me such a big smile. I also appreciate it touching on depression. It's not very deep but it's still nice to see a superhero struggle with it.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
Infinity War is a great movie. I'd say all the other Avengers movies range from boring to just bad. I'd even include Civil War in that.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd probably go Avengers > Infinity War >>>> Endgame > not watching a movie > Ultron

I just like it more when it's a team up movie with a tighter cast.

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
First thought is Avengers but I'll go with Age of Ultron. The only movie with them at their peak, a well oiled machine.

Oct 27, 2017
I think Endgame followed very closely by Infinity War. Avengers was fun, but behind those two.
Age of Ultron I'm not going to say was terrible, but it certainly wasn't good.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Avengers 2.5: Civil War

It's always gonna be an Avengers movie to me rather than a Cap one

MrChocolate

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Infinity is the only one I watched 7 times at theater, and it is by far my favourite.
Endgame is great, but I feel it drags way too long.
OG Avengers is still fun, but feels really dated.
And while Ultron is the weakest of all, I believe there are some really good moments. For example, when they go to Hawkeye's house. I really liked it (except the Bruce and Natasha scene, that felt really forced)

Oct 28, 2017
Civil War is as much of an Avengers movie as the other 4. It introduced Black Panther and Spider-Man for and does more to push the overall narrative of the MCU than the first 2 Avengers movies combined. Sure it resolved the Captain America story that was set up but it's a Cap solo movie in name only.

With that rant said, Infinity War is about as good as the MCU has been overall so I shall go with that.

Infinity War I guess, but none of them are good IMO. The worst is definitely Age of Ultron, probably the worst movie in the MCU.

Didn't expect this take. This is strong. I completely disagree but it's a strong take.

New002

Oct 25, 2017
Infinity War by a large margin. Super fun movie.

Same. I love Infinity War. I didn't have super high hopes going into it as I didn't really love Avengers or Age of Ultron, but Infinity War was amazing.

I went into Endgame with high expectations but found it to be a much lesser movie sadly. Since seeing Infinity War in theaters I've watched it multiple times. I only ever watched Endgame again because my wife and I decided to marathon all the movies. Otherwise never had any interest in revisiting that one.

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
Infinity war is one of the best paced movies I've seen in the last decade and has some of the most insane setpieces of any superhero movie. The amount of character development for a villain was also great.

It's also a really creative movie for a series that's gotten a little bland over the years.

Oct 29, 2017
Infinity War, by a landslide.

The first movie hasn't held up all that well for me; Ultron and Endgame are bloated disappointments.

TortoiseTesticleOil

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 2, 2021
I see infinity war and endgame as one movie. And they are really great to watch when feeling a bit down. I see them as Confort food

Oct 26, 2017
Infinity War was quite possibly the greatest cinematic experience I'll ever have, even though it's hardly the best movie ever. It just kept raising the stakes, but there were enough possible solutions that they could have pulled to beat Thanos. I was quite prepared that they would eventually beat him and THEN he'd come back even more dangerous in the next one. And then they just failed, and he won, and even though obviously they'd make the heroes return somehow - at that point it truly felt like a total defeat. At least there's still Strange, he'll figure something... oh. But at least there's still Wanda... oh. But at least there's still Fury... oh.

Having a side story and a prequel in between was also really clever. Maybe there could have been a movie actually taking place between them, but it would have been very limited in what it could do and also quite depressing. But we got just enough time to wait for the resolution.

Thank god they got it out before covid though.

Havok

Oct 27, 2017
Northern VA
Infinity War mostly because they had the guts to give it an incredibly bleak ending. Endgame is brought down a bit for me because I find time travel to be kind of an inherently stupid concept. Even with the in-movie explanation about how Back to the Future got it wrong, a lot of the audience was still very confused about what was happening. If they had come up with a solution other than time travel the movies would probably be tied for me.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
I like all the avengers movies, even aou had been made retroactively better (ain't great though).

But infinity war is far and away the best. Will be seen as pivotal as esb for kids of this gen

Also, forge is one of the best blockbuster songs ever. Star Wars influence is very apparent there.

I've never heard a theatre louder than on thor coming to wakanda. Peak wrestling moment.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Endgame. I liked the focus on the "core" avengers, rather than juggling a lot of characters like Infinity War did.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Endgame = Infinity War >> The Avengers >>> Age of Ultron

Giving the nod to Endgame because it still feels incredible that it managed to nail the landing. But Infinity War is a blast as well.

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Infinity War was a very memorable experience in the theater, especially the end. So many gasps and when the credits rolled, you could hear a pin drop.

Endgame was also really enjoyable. The most incredible thing about that film is how it's 3 HOURS LONG and yet somehow, it feels like 2. It helps when you have a massive ensemble of characters literally worthy of their own franchises bouncing off of each other and all doing their own thing.

So I would definitely say IW/Endgame. Cause yes, it's one movie.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
the Avengers > Endgame > Age of Ultron teaser trailer > Civil War > Infinity War > Age of Ultron

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I think they're all good.

1. iW
2. Avengers
3. End Game
4. AoU

I like AoU a lot, unlike many. It's the most flawed, and as some said it shows Wheddon isn't as well suited to the bit screen as the small, but it has some great moments (the party especially).

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Infinity War is infinitely watchable for me. It opens with Hulk vs Thanos, they were like, "let's just get this out of the way". Then all the different set pieces fighting the Black Order. Iron man and Spider-Man in New York, Captain America reveal. All pretty much perfect.

mrbogus

Jul 14, 2019
Infinity War. I like the heroes just outright saying most of they movie they're just trying to minimize the damage Thanos can do since he's so powered up already. Much different tone than big spectacle movies normally have.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Endgame for me. An emotional rollercoaster and love letter to fans of the MCU. Its followed very closely by Infinity War. The fact that they made Thanos the protagonist on that movie and who's journey was the one the audience followed made its downer ending . . . . not so "downer" that it drove away repeat viewings (compared to Civil War for instance). Just brilliant narrative design.