• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gigguk a while ago posted his yearly review of the year's shows, and here is 2021's edition:

Some pretty interesting choices.

15. Horimiya
14. Star Wars visions
13. Nomad: Megalo Box 2
12 & 11. Komi-San Can't Communicate, Dont toy with me Miss Nagatoro
10. Sonny boy
9. 86
8. JJBA: Stone ocean
7.Vivy
6. To Your Eternity
5. Link clink
4. Ranking of kings
3. Odd taxi
2. AOT: Final Season
1. Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation

Odd Taxi was robbed

What does the weebs of ERA think of this list? What were YOUR anime of the year?

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Mushoku should not be #1 (it shouldnt' be on any list). Gigguk is just proving he's trash (or that he didn't watch any anime). Jobless is very problematic.

Oct 28, 2017
There are like 6 different things on that list better than Mushoku Tensei, OddTaxi and RoK being the obvious choices here.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
hold the fk up...is Mushoku Tensei actually that popular? I didn't realize it. Personally, I thought it was a bad-average comic/anime.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Odd Taxi should be #1, and from what I've heard about Jobless Reincarnation, that's a very sus #1

WeWereGiants

Nov 8, 2017
I'm glad Sonny Boy made the list… but it should be number 1

Sonny Boy and Odd Taxi are real breaths of fresh air in the oversaturated and homogenous anime industry. But again, just glad they exist.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Like...I think Jobless Reincarnation is a pretty good show.

I side eye anyone who puts it at their number one in the same way that I side eye anyone putting Shield Hero in their favorites.

But yeah, number 1 this year is an ongoing fight between Odd Taxi and Ranking of Kings. Nothing else came close.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Is Jobless Reincarnation an isekai? Fuck isekai. Odd Taxi is number 1 even if I didn't watch a lot of anime last year.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
I hated the MC in Mushoku Tensei even more than the guy from Shield Hero. What's up with shithead isekai protagonists ruining their own shows these days?

Edit: on a more positive note, I just started watching Ranking of Kings and it's lovely.

Rhete

Oct 27, 2017
Watched this last night and was so immensely pissed off when Mushoku Tensei was #1. To be clear, it's not bad because it's an isekai, it's bad because the main character is human garbage who is constantly trying to have sex with children.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
I hated the MC in Mushoku Tensei even more than the guy from Shield Hero. What's up with shithead isekai protagonists ruining their own shows these days?

The sad but true reality behind most isekai; If you're given the opportunity to do it all again, you're going to use all of that knowledge to be as debaucherous as possible. This is the case of a 50 year old man lusting after children and getting away with it because he's in the body of a child. There are other Isekais out there that recognize this fact that bring it up, the main character doing this over and over again is an active deliberate decision.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It does seem like quite a few anime YouTubers I've watched seem to praise Jobless for its animation and stuff, and just handwave/ignore its problematic elements =/

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watched this last night and was so immensely pissed off when Mushoku Tensei was #1. To be clear, it's not bad because it's an isekai, it's bad because the main character is human garbage who is constantly trying to have sex with children.

Had never really looked into this show before but damn that sounds terrible.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yikes

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
If the MC of Jobless wasn't such a complete pile of shit, I'd rank it pretty high. However, it has some really great world building with characters.

Oct 27, 2017
Jobless has a pedo main character that prays to panties.

I can't get over this shit. I would never be able to watch it knowing this no matter how good everything is.

Remove Jobless and add Fruits Basket and the list would be respectable.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Jobless has a pedo main character that prays to panties.

I can't get over this shit. I would never be able to watch it knowing this no matter how good everything is.
Yeah, I genuinely don't get it. There are so many other shows that have great characters, stories, themes without those elements. Having to point that out every time tells me everything I need to know.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I genuinely don't get it. There are so many other shows that have great characters, stories, themes without those elements. Having to point that out every time tells me everything I need to know.
Yeah

It is honestly crazy.

I watch a lot of anime and to be honest, sometimes you start not noticing things that others not familiar with anime do. But THIS in particular is something I thought people wouldn't hand wave away. Yet, here we are.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
I would love to reccomend Mushoku to friends....but you know it just had to have fan service especially with an underage character so yeah....bro im just so fucking tired of fan service, and not even fan service just outright sexism or creepiness from anime.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Downplaying Concerns of Underage Sexualization and Pedophilia over a Series of Posts

Game of Thrones has a lot of main characters do some stupid and vile shit and yet people stanned for it being one of the best tv shows in ages. Why does the exception apply here?

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
On production values alone, i would wholeheartedly agree that Mushoku Tensei is #1 but yes, its main character, Rudeus, will make your very, very uncomfortable to say the least.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Mushoku Tensei is one of those series best seen through Sakuga twitter accounts because the actual content is utter shit. The gall for people to be hyping this up to be the only good iseaki before the anime came out.

Game of Thrones has a lot of main characters do some stupid and vile shit and yet people stanned for it being one of the best tv shows in ages. Why does the exception apply here?

not sure if serious

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised not to see the final season of Fruits Basket on many lists. It was great.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
Jesus. I've heard so many people on anime YT recommend this and when they mentioned "problematic elements" I assumed panty shots and boob jokes which, not great, but not that out of the ordinary for a lot of anime. I was not expecting to hear uh this...

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
15. Horimiya Only on my radar as "some romcom."
14. Star Wars visions Had a few good segments but overall I found it a bit disappointing
13. Nomad: Megalo Box 2 I badly need to watch this and the previous one.
12 & 11. Komi-San Can't Communicate, Dont toy with me Miss Nagatoro One of these seems really sweet and nice to the point where I'd actually watch a romcom, the other not so much.
10. Sonny boy Need to give it another shot, I loved the visuals and wild premise but found it a little hard to follow.
9. 86 Pretty great. I don't go for LN adaptations most of the time but it won me over with grimdark worldbuilding and blistering action. Maybe I'm totally fine with LNs as long as they're original settings that aren't overly video game-y and have a good amount of thought put into them.
8. JJBA: Stone ocean Fantastic, like the rest of the series.
7.Vivy One of the best surprise hits of the year, a true high concept underdog.
6. To Your Eternity Wonderful show but so depressing I had to stop before the end.
5. Link clink Description sounds very interesting, it's on my list.
4. Ranking of kings Not caught up yet but everything I've seen of it has been heartfelt and gorgeous, just great stuff from top to bottom.
3. Odd taxi: 10/10 masterpiece, get your family, friends, and neighbors to watch, even non-anime-likers.
2. AOT: Final Season I fell off a few episodes before the end of part 1 but I'm considering catching back up. I know not everyone digs the direction of the later series and some of the unfortunate parallels it draws, but on some level it's still pretty thrilling action-horror TV.
1. Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation Skeevy isekai shit, no fucking thank you. This being widely held in high regard is why anitubers are almost categorically bad.

Last edited:

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen Mushoku Tensei. I only know aspects of the show from what others have told me. That being said, I just find it weird that the doors suddenly don't swing both ways from the outside looking in.

so i take it you know that the main character is a pedophile? is reborn and still acts like his 30 year old pedophile self but in a childs body and your first thought is how come Game of Thrones gets a pass? these aren't even the same door to swing. I still can't tell if you are serious because sorry it's such a dumb take.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The anime/manga world's long time issue with stuff like this should already give you a pretty good idea why this is such a shitty comparison.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
anime fans get desensitized to all this bullshit because it's so pervasive

half the time they just make jokes, like "lol aren't we all degenerates"

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why people give Redo of Healer gets so much shit because people like Sopranos and those guys are all horrible characters. Totally valid comparison.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen Mushoku Tensei. I only know aspects of the show from what others have told me. That being said, I just find it weird that the doors suddenly don't swing both ways from the outside looking in.

He's a grown man reborn from bith to now a child-pre teen who, pervs on older women and tries to have sex with other children. He has an adult mind and the same memories of his past life and is consciously making decisions like trying to get with other girls his age....so kids.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
so i take it you know that the main character is a pedophile? is reborn and still acts like his 30 year old pedophile self but in a childs body and your first thought is how come Game of Thrones gets a pass? these aren't even the same door to swing. I still can't tell if you are serious because sorry it's such a dumb take.

If the show was realistic and there was a chance that a person who already has shitty values and morals gets isekai'd to another world with his memories and experience in tact, then it would not surprise me that he would act shitty there. I'm not saying this is excusable behavior. What I don't understand is why a demonstration of a person acting questionable is not alright in this show vs a person action questionable is alright in another show. I think everyone in this thread can universally agree that this MC is shitbag. But just because the the show gets praised doesn't automatically mean people stand for the values that the MC holds. We can dissociate the two.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why people give Redo of Healer gets so much shit because people like Sopranos and those guys are all horrible characters. Totally valid comparison.

Redo is like the ultimate incel rape revenge fantasy, nothing about what happened to the MC justifies what he does to others.

Necrovex

Oct 25, 2017
Don't blame anyone disliking his #1 choice. I had conflicting feeling on that show and stopped for a bit. Started watching it again and I do love it. I've accepted the MC is supposed to be a pile of garbage who is slowly trying to redeem themselves. Just having an isekai that consistently acknowledges the character past life is incredibly nice.

With that said, I'd only recommend the show to certain people and wouldn't be a general recommendation because of its problematic content.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Don't blame anyone disliking his #1 choice. I had conflicting feeling on that show and stopped for a bit. Started watching it again and I do love it. I've accepted the MC is supposed to be a pile of garbage who is slowly trying to redeem themselves. Just having an isekai that consistently acknowledges the character past life is incredibly nice.

With that said, I'd only recommend the show to certain people and wouldn't be a general recommendation because of its problematic content.

Ngl I'd feel offended if someone said that they felt I was one of those certain people, I'd be like damn, whatchu tryna say lol

Status
Not open for further replies.