• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Spain knows the truth. Alfonso Vallés was best Snake :P
Its a pity the rest of europe fucked up their dubs so we never got the rest of the games dub.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Replaying Shenmue III, I like Greg Chun but I really miss Eric Kelso as Ren.
I was speaking to one of my friends about this - apparently they didn't even try to get Eric back, who apparently would have absolutely been up for reprising his roles in Shenmue III :( He's actually re-recorded the Fuku San phone audio:

Didn't realise they got Greg Chun as Ren instead though, for Shenmue III's VA cast, that's a surprisingly solid choice (he's pretty great as Yagami in Judgment)

OP
OP
Lightning Count
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
I was speaking to one of my friends about this - apparently they didn't even try to get Eric back, who apparently would have absolutely been up for reprising his roles in Shenmue III :( He's actually re-recorded the Fuku San phone audio:

Didn't realise they got Greg Chun as Ren instead though, for Shenmue III's VA cast, that's a surprisingly solid choice (he's pretty great as Yagami in Judgment)

Yeah, but honestly he's a bit flat in the role as Ren has very few appearances compared to the second game.

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Eric Johnson taking over the role of Sam Fisher from Michael Ironsides In Splinter Cell Blacklist was a travesty, as hard as he tries he lacks the intensity and gravitas that Ironside brings to Fisher. It would have so much better to end the series with Ironside doing the voice as only he can.

I agree but travesty is a strong word. With the benefit of hindsight, we now know Ironside was battling cancer so I get the feeling Ubisoft wanted a voice actor who wouldn't be too similar to Ironside.

I feel it should have been a different character entirely, but they probably couldn't change course at that point.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Prince of Persia Warrior Within made a lot of incredibly bad moves. Replacing Yuri Lowenthal's super charming Prince with Robin Atkin Downes, who wasn't bad, but wasn't a great follow-up to the SoT Prince, was one of many poor choices. Thankfully, Lowenthal was back in TT and even the sequel nobody remembers, the aptly named Forgotten Sands.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Although he's clearly a talented actor, I just didn't like Matthew Mercer as Leon S. Kennedy. Paul Mercier was too perfect for the character already, real shame they went and recast the role for RE6. The combination of unfitting VA and bad writing actually succeeded in making Leon the most dull character in the game, which is crazy, considering he was so much fun in RE4.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Ansem in every KH after the first one, Xehanort in 3, Sebastian Castellanos in TEW2. These were pretty bad imo.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lightning Count
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Although he's clearly a talented actor, I just didn't like Matthew Mercer as Leon S. Kennedy. Paul Mercier was too perfect for the character already, real shame they went and recast the role for RE6. The combination of unfitting VA and bad writing actually succeeded in making Leon the most dull character in the game, which is crazy, considering he was so much fun in RE4.

Agreed and Sally Cahill as Ada's VA was perfect in RE4. I was disappointed in RE6 that both had been recast.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Agreed and Sally Cahill as Ada's VA was perfect in RE4. I was disappointed in RE6 that both had been recast.
Oh yeah, absolutely, I shouldn't have neglected to mention her. Paul Mercier and Sally Cahill should've been back for RE6, plain and simple. What's odd is that they brought back Hunnigan's VA, but not the other two.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
The best would be the FFXIV changes, yeah. I wish they'd spend the money to go back and re-record all of ARR (I assume that's what they're doing for NG+)

Isn't NG+ already out?

I don't really like new Kratos.

Any reason why? No offense to the original actor but I don't know if they would have fit the new Kratos.

Johnny Cage: Jeff Pilson (MK9) to Andrew Bowen (MKX/11) is a huge upgrade.

Agreed.

I will say the new Cassie voice was actually pretty good! I think Burch did great in MKX but the new VO of MX11 did good too. Hell, seeing her next to Ronda in one of the early cutscenes really showed whose recast actually had a real voice actress behind them.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Best - Nolan North replacing Peter Dinklage as your ghost in Destiny
Worst - Nolan North replacing Nathan Fillion as Cayde 6 in Destiny 2

Came here to say Nathan Fillion's replacement too. In a bubble there maybe isn't anything wrong with the tone of Nolan's work, but at best he's doing a middling impersonation of a very distinct voice and one of the most iconic characters in their universe.

That they kill him off with an imposter's voice is the ultimate insult.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Can't say I understand most of the recasts from MKX to MK11 for Scorpion, Liu Kang, Kitana, Sonya, Jax and such.

Oct 25, 2017
Any English voice for Mewtwo after the first Pokemon film.

The Prophet of Truth from Halo 2 to Halo 3 was also a massive downgrade and he sounds nothing like he was portrayed in the 2nd Halo.

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
Just for Heavensward, Stormblood and maybe Shadowbringers? They held off on ARR for some reason.

Update 5.3 they are introducing an altered version of the 2.0 to 2.X story to make it more streamlined and less padded. No reason to believe they are redoing the voice work as there has been no hints the work they are doing would require it (But I wouldn't be against it as has been mentioned the direction of the original dub (even in the Japanese version) was very wooden to say the least). They held off on implementing the ARR one because it basically meant doing twice the work when they can just wait till the new one is finished.

Also funny to mention that Heavensward wasn't technically the first recasting of the entire cast, there were voiced scenes (limited but some) in the original 1.0 release. Quality difference between ARR and 1.0 is actually pretty jarring but that's because the original was motion captured in addition to voice work so some of the cutscenes I felt had a better effect then 2.0, there just were significantly more voiced scenes in 2.0 since they didn't need to motion capture them (Except papalymo... that was a ....voice in 1.0).

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Puyo Puyo Tetris' English dub, for all intents and purposes, was a massive downgrade from the Japanese original and an insult to an otherwise outstanding localization.