• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Heather Morris as Heather Mason from Silent Hill 3 was a great match for the character. Besides some rough moments, she sounds like a teenager, compared to the HD collection VA who's an adult woman trying to sound like a teenager.

Bonus vid because this line delivery is great:

Jan 11, 2018
I agree with this, except for Urianger. The new one is fine, but the original was Balthier.

My exception would be Merlwyb. The new one is fine, but the old one had a lot more authority in her voice. Urianger no longer being Balthier is a good thing, because it's kind of distracting. Gideon Emery didn't exactly make a big effort to give Urianger a unique voice. It's what I meant when I said the ARR dub comes off as rushed. Some really big names in there, but most of it sounds phoned in.

Sadly, this reminds me that Yugiri's original VA is no longer with us and the story behind that is absolutely awful.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lani Minella to Antonio Del Rio as Pit is one of the best.

Of course the former didn't have much to work with but Rio IS Pit in my mind. Dude needs to be in more work.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
When I heard that Ashly Burch could not Voice Chloe in Life is Strange: Before the Storm I was really sad but then Rhianna DeVries absolutely nailed it. I was blown away. Can't even decide which one did the better job. Still, Ashly will always be the "canon" Chloe in my head. Which also means every game she's in is super confusing for me 😅

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
The guy who did Harry Flynn in Uncharted 4 & The Lost Legacy multiplayer, replacing from 2 & 3.

The new guy was jarringly different from the old, but I got used to him somewhat...

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
John DiMaggio doing Uka Uka in the Crash remakes, he was carried over from the modern Crash games that were released in the late 2000s. He's a great VA but he's awful as Uka.

Whoever did him in Twinsanity was a much better replacement for Clancy Brown.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
When I heard that Ashly Burch could not Voice Chloe in Life is Strange: Before the Storm I was really sad but then Rhianna DeVries absolutely nailed it. I was blown away. Can't even decide which one did the better job. Still, Ashly will always be the "canon" Chloe in my head. Which also means every game she's in is super confusing for me 😅

Rhianna DeVries was great as younger Chloe in BTS, absolutely agree

Oct 25, 2017
Lani Minella to Antonio Del Rio as Pit is one of the best.

Of course the former didn't have much to work with but Rio IS Pit in my mind. Dude needs to be in more work.
He's Kyle in She-Ra and the Princesses of Power!

images

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Snake / Kiefer is a huge downgrade from David.

He might not be the best voice actor but he brought something to the character.

Kiefer was wasted, and I love Kiefer

CJCW?

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I've got to be one of the few who really didnt like original dub chie, like heck the new voice at least sounds like a teen and closer to the japanese sounding voice than the older chie. (Hell it was like listening to an older person voice a kid... like the DiC sailor moon dub)
Exactly, original Chie sounds like a middle aged woman trying to voice a teen, whereas new Chie sounds age appropriate.

Also to chime in on MGS, Kiefer was fine as Snake, but I'll just never be able to accept anyone other than Hayter doing that voice.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This should be interesting, as we all know most game characters will often go through multiple voice actors, especially the longer a series has been around and the more incarnations there are of a character, now some of these turn out great and others are just flat out awful.

Let's start with a good example of a new actor taking on the role.

I've been playing through the Batman Arkham series a lot and as much as I respect Kevin Conroy for his dedication to playimg Batman for such a long time, with the exception of Arkham Knight in the games he sounds thoroughly bored with the role and honestly quite flat. I really enjoyed Roger Craig Smith's version of Batman, he brought fire and intensity that was sorely lacking.

Now an example of a recast which detracted from the role.

Eric Johnson taking over the role of Sam Fisher from Michael Ironsides In Splinter Cell Blacklist was a travesty, as hard as he tries he lacks the intensity and gravitas that Ironside brings to Fisher. It would have so much better to end the series with Ironside doing the voice as only he can.

Over to you now, ERA.
Yo, Troy Baker as Joker is amazing too. His killing joke speech is the best and he have a good laugh

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
while we're talking about recasts here's a fun fact

Nolan North was almost the permanent replacement for Mickey Mouse after the passing of Wayne Allwine. He passed on it because he didn't like the schedule he would have had (basically it would have been just mickey and nothing else)

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
Man, I've got to be one of the few who really didnt like original dub chie, like heck the new voice at least sounds like a teen and closer to the japanese sounding voice than the older chie. (Hell it was like listening to an older person voice a kid... like the DiC sailor moon dub)
I'll take age inappropriate with depth over age appropriate but shallow, which is what it became. No offense meant to her replacement (a good voice actress to be sure), but the original basically added new (albeit subtle) dimensions to Chie that I doubt the writers even intended. The new version sounds like a teenager, sure, but that's it. There's nothing more to her.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
I hope this happens with the English cast in the next Puyo Puyo game. Most of the VAs in Puyo Puyo Tetris were an insult to an otherwise good script.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Rise from Persona 4 Golden to Persona 4 Dancing.

They tried to find someone that sounds like Laura Bailey, she sound kinda similar but still really off, I felt like I was having a stroke everytime she talked.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I don't hate either of these two, but I miss the original VAs of both Lady (voiced by the great Kari Wahlgren in DMC3 and OG DMC4) and Ansem (Billy Zane! Richard Epcar is a tremendously good VA, and iconic in his own right, but god damn was Billy Zane smooooth).

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
I prefer Bill Farmer's dryer performance as Sam in Sam & Max Hit the Road to David Nowlin the Telltale games. Well, it's also fun to imagine Goofy saying the lines to "Muh-ax."

For the Max VAs, I guess it comes down to whether you like him as a wiseguy or a sociopath.

Oct 26, 2017
The change in studios for FF14 was a net improvement with two major exceptions (until recently): The first being Taliesin Jaffe to Peter Bramhill as Thancred and the second being Jean Elizabeth Gilpin to Tracy Obermann as Merlwyb. I will give Bramhill the commendation of really improving for Thancred in Shadowbringers after not really feeling right for the role in the other two xpacs. However, Merlwyb's scant lines with her london voice lack a lot of the husk and energy that Gilpin had for the role.
I want to follow this up with Urianger's voice change from Gideon Emery to Tim Watson. While Watson sounds fine, I actually really did like Emery's performance (who also did the voice of Balthier in FFXII) and I'll admit that I still can't help but read Urianger's unvoiced lines with Emery's voice in my head.

I totally agree with you about Merlwyb though, she had one of the best performances in ARR and what we got after just doesn't come close.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Silen Hill HD Collection recasting the original actors of SH2 and SH3.
Thank God they got an agreement with the actors after and added the original voices.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
Shenmue 3 had some less than perfect recast for older characters. Particularly the people cast to play Nazomi, Tom, and Joy. Some of them just didn't match with the characters at all.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Terrance Stamp was a shitty recast for the Prophet of Truth in Halo 3. Michael Wincott perfected the character in Halo 2 and it helped that Halo 2 had better writing aswell.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
In the original Destiny, Ghost was voiced by Peter Dinklage up until The Taken King expansion when he was replaced with Nolan North. I liked the change personally, Dinklage did a brilliant job of Tyrion in GoT but voicing Ghost he sounded bored and wooden, although his performance did deliver on the meme-front.

Opposite of this for me. Peter Dinklage has a unique quality to his voice, and his performance to me felt right for an AI character.

Nolan North's Ghost sounds like a slightly less camp C3PO.

Selphie

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Really disliked the new voice for Chie in P4G, she sounds way more over-the-top than vanilla P4 Chie, I liked how her voice in P4 gave her the girl next door vibe.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Rise's replacement in P4 Dancing all night is like wooden nails on a chalkboard. I get that they couldn't get laura bailey but jeez was it bad.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Billy Zane being replaced by Richard Epcar for Ansem, Seeker of Darkness is the most jarring recasting. Billy just has that tone of authority and evil for the character while Richard just sounds monotone in comparison.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Billy Zane being replaced by Richard Epcar for Ansem, Seeker of Darkness is the most jarring recasting. Billy just has that tone of authority and evil for the character while Richard just sounds monotone in comparison.
You reminded me of another one in KH - Master Xehanort was originally voiced by Leonard Nimoy but had to be replaced in KH3 due to his unfortunate passing. I mean, nothing SE could really do on that one, but I just really miss Nimoy's voice for Xehanort so much.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe controversial, but Michelle Ruff has been my favourite Voice Actress for Jill Valentine.

Oct 27, 2017
Xehanort's an obvious one. RIP Nimoy.

Also I don't really like most of the recasts in FE Heroes compared to their original VAs from their home games if they had one. It's understandable why it happens, but still. Probably the only exception is Alexis Tipton as Lucina, because her voicework there is almost indistinguishable from Laura Bailey's.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
Best - Nolan North replacing Peter Dinklage as your ghost in Destiny
Worst - Nolan North replacing Nathan Fillion as Cayde 6 in Destiny 2

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I think Roger Craig Smith did a great job of pulling something out of the character of Chris Redfield beyond stock military man.

I think he does a good job as Sonic but the voice has been better. I think his interpretation is just a tad too smarmy.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Tails' voice actor change for Sonic Heroes broke me as a child. I get that he's 8 but he was so shrill it was painful.

The best would be the FFXIV changes, yeah. I wish they'd spend the money to go back and re-record all of ARR (I assume that's what they're doing for NG+)

The FFVII Remake replacements are also stellar. I have nostalgia for the old guys, but the new direction seems to actually nail their personalities for once. Only one that I might be down on is Quinton Flynn no longer being Reno.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Aerith is definitely a bad one. Mandy Moore is amazing, she could use her Rapunzel voice and I'd be fine with it. Mena Suvari was not good, sadly.

Xehanort in KHIII was also disappointing. I hate to rag on these guys, but yeah, it wasn't good. Nemoy is obviously a hard thing to mimic but like Aerith, the delivery was very dead, lacked power and drive.

Troy Baker's Ocelot wasn't very good either. Just sounded like Troy Baker and didn't measure up to old Ocelot. Troy has range, so it's a shame, really.

On the other hand, Sephiroth has changed a few times and I like the all, Lance Bass included. My favourite is probably the Superman- err the JL one, I guess (since a couple Superman actors have now played Sephiroth!).