• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
I fly out of Amsterdam about once a month and it's really great. 30 min to get there, security is usually a couple minutes and you don't have to empty your bags in most departures. The choice of food past security is pretty dire though.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I love my state's airport, Denver International. Everything is easy to get to, security is easy to get through (and doesn't tell or cop attitudes like other places), good variety of places to eat, and we've got a fucking haunted demon horse welcoming everyone to our awesome state.

I also really liked New Mexico's airport, Boston, Portland, and Love Field in Dallas. Simple to get in and out of while having some variety to it gets points with me.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Opposite ends of the spectrum - Singapore for being modern and huge and magnificent. St George regional airport in Utah for being extremely small and pleasant even though I will likely never need to go there again.

Special Shoutouts:

3. Any small tropical island airport that's really just a desk by a jungle field like Aitutaki in the Cook Islands.
2. Haneda Airport, Tokyo, for being, you know, IN TOKYO as opposed to Narita which while efficient is incredibly far away from Tokyo. Not only are there sometimes bargain flights to Haneda, you actually gain a full day back in Tokyo since you can take a cab or Uber to get there instead of sacrificing a full day for (yes, yes, quick efficient) train travel to an airport that is not even remotely close to Tokyo. See also "Reykjavik" airport, which is also unreasonably far away from Reykjavik. The upside is that you can plan your return trip to stop at the Blue Lagoon hot spring tourist trap (which is still pretty cool especially if you're there early).
1. Newark Liberty, for contextually improving every other airport on Earth because "hey, this dangerous corrupt wartorn Somali airport may be literally life-threatening and fly infested, but at least it's not Newark Liberty." And this psychopathic hate-filled Al Qaeda kidnapper is much nicer than the Newark Liberty TSA staff.

Otheradam

Nov 1, 2017
Is Jewel a wing or concourse or something? And I heard most places take pretty much any currency, so that I'd be able to use dollars or yen. That true?
Jewel is its own structure but in the middle of the airport and all the terminals has passage to it. It's basically a giant mall/amusement park. I don't know if they accept other currencies. I was there last week and used Singapore dollars for any venues that didn't take a credit card.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
I don't know about 'best' but Oslo Gardermoen was the quietest airport I've ever been in. I got a kanelbolle that was almost the size of my head from one of the bakeries. I must say though, at the gates there was a surprising lack of seating.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
Changi. Singapore knows how to airport. The Terminal would have been a Jacob's Latter metaphor for true saints if it was set in Changi.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Either LAX or LaGuardia not sure
giphy.gif

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Munich is pretty nice. Frankfurt is good too.

The airport in Vancouver BC is pretty cool, esp when you first walk off the planes that huge open atrium is impressive... at least it was ~15 years ago when I flew thru.

Logan in Boston sucks. Dulles sucks. Reagan sucks. Kennedy sucks. Newark sucks x 100. Logan has gotten bettrr, It's where I primarily fly. Used to be horrible and perpetually under stupid construction. Now the construction is mostly done and it's not a shit hole, but it's still too small for the # of passengers going thru.

Oh, Orlando airport departures are *the worst* ridiculous huge lines thru everything, and just utter chaos of families trying to get thru these understaff, undersized areas.

For small regional airports, there's one in Worcester MA USA that only does a handful of flights, Southwest Florida, Orlando, Philly, NYC and Detroit. The airport has no amenities but because your flight is the only one flying that hour/time of day you just walk thru security and you have the whole place to yourself. Plus near free long term parking (I think it's $3/day), and the baggage claim is always only your flight and it takes 2 seconds. Only drawback is (aside from being a small airport with no real amenities) is that it's not convenient to any highway. 10-15 min drive thru residential neighborhoods to get there.

Last edited:

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Gardermoen (Oslo, Norway) ranks pretty high for me. After the recent expansion and automatic luggage pass-through at least (Norway is not part of EU).
Spaceous, rustic Scandinavian style & modern, if you want some quiet there are large halls to walk off to, no small passages in general. Very clean.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit Metro, specifically the McNamara Terminal that Delta operates out of.

Denver is also nice but a hassle to get to in some respects. At least there's express busses there.

Raleigh00

Oct 27, 2017
Gardermoen (Oslo, Norway) ranks pretty high for me. After the recent expansion and automatic luggage pass-through at least (Norway is not part of EU).
Spaceous, rustic Scandinavian style & modern, if you want some quiet there are large halls to walk off to, no small passages in general. Very clean.
Same here. Also had one of my top best burgers from a restaurant there.

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
Opposite ends of the spectrum - Singapore for being modern and huge and magnificent. St George regional airport in Utah for being extremely small and pleasant even though I will likely never need to go there again.

Special Shoutouts:

3. Any small tropical island airport that's really just a desk by a jungle field like Aitutaki in the Cook Islands.
2. Haneda Airport, Tokyo, for being, you know, IN TOKYO as opposed to Narita which while efficient is incredibly far away from Tokyo. Not only are there sometimes bargain flights to Haneda, you actually gain a full day back in Tokyo since you can take a cab or Uber to get there instead of sacrificing a full day for (yes, yes, quick efficient) train travel to an airport that is not even remotely close to Tokyo. See also "Reykjavik" airport, which is also unreasonably far away from Reykjavik. The upside is that you can plan your return trip to stop at the Blue Lagoon hot spring tourist trap (which is still pretty cool especially if you're there early).
1. Newark Liberty, for contextually improving every other airport on Earth because "hey, this dangerous corrupt wartorn Somali airport may be literally life-threatening and fly infested, but at least it's not Newark Liberty." And this psychopathic hate-filled Al Qaeda kidnapper is much nicer than the Newark Liberty TSA staff.

If you want to get to the Ueno area. Narita is actually faster than Haneda. Also you can reach to most hot spots directly without dealing with switching public transportation.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Light rail goes out there too. But I'd agree its location hurts it.

Yeah, the A line (sponsored by my employer!), but the location was also probably necessary to avoid what happened with Stapleton when Denver and Aurora built up all the land around it. Putting it out by Rocky Mountain Arsenal is at least going to prevent that.

and we've got a fucking haunted demon horse welcoming everyone to our awesome state.

All hail Blucifer

bluemustang.jpg.CROP.promo-large2.jpg

notsol337

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed Reykjavik's airport. Clean, open, easy to get around, and the view is incredible. I liked Helsinki, too, because there's a rad mural in the train station underneath it.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you want to get to the Ueno area. Narita is actually faster than Haneda. Also you can reach to most hot spots directly without dealing with switching public transportation.

Problem isn't just the distance - it's the amount of effort and the specific types of travel to Tokyo for work - we almost always stay in Shinjuku for business reasons - if we're traveling in a group and flying from Narita, everyone wants to go early to avoid "missing a train or being delayed" which is natural if they haven't done it before. Because the main flights from narita to Seattle all happen in the late afternoon, then we have to set off in a big clump. If we were staying near Tokyo station it wouldn't be so bad, but it would still be a production. Whereas with Haneda, we can just chill and have brunch, do some shopping, then hop in a car or multiple cars in a civilized fashion with no trains or station switching. And no responsibility for the other travelers who're nervous about negotiating the trains to the airport.

If I were on my own and in charge of my own destiny I'd be much more relaxed about grabbing a later NEX, but it's still a long trip. I've also found that my colleagues and traveling companions think they're in Tokyo as soon as the fields give way to city. You can see them thinking that surely we must be pulling into the city any moment now....

To be fair the NEX is a pleasant, relaxing ride that puts you right at your terminal, but again, when you're there for business, that whole morning of shopping or eating is at a premium compared to leisure travel. And of course you get about a half day messing around when you arrive at narita, getting bags, train tickets and so on.

Oh and one other weird thing - for some reason the equipment to Narita is more likely to be a Dreamliner or a380 and that makes a HUGE difference on a flight that long. Anyhoo I'm being pretty granular and anal here.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Best is the U.S. I've been to are Phoenix and Denver. Worst are LAX and Newark.

My favorite international ones were Singapore and Heathrow. Didn't care much for Hong Kong, but I only had a quick layover there. I also didn't have a great experience at the much-loved Vancouver airport, but that was probably due to construction work done for the 2010 Olympics which were just around the corner.

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
Problem isn't just the distance - it's the amount of effort and the specific types of travel to Tokyo for work - we almost always stay in Shinjuku for business reasons - if we're traveling in a group and flying from Narita, everyone wants to go early to avoid "missing a train or being delayed" which is natural if they haven't done it before. Because the main flights from narita to Seattle all happen in the late afternoon, then we have to set off in a big clump. If we were staying near Tokyo station it wouldn't be so bad, but it would still be a production. Whereas with Haneda, we can just chill and have brunch, do some shopping, then hop in a car or multiple cars in a civilized fashion with no trains or station switching. And no responsibility for the other travelers who're nervous about negotiating the trains to the airport.

If I were on my own and in charge of my own destiny I'd be much more relaxed about grabbing a later NEX, but it's still a long trip. I've also found that my colleagues and traveling companions think they're in Tokyo as soon as the fields give way to city. You can see them thinking that surely we must be pulling into the city any moment now....

To be fair the NEX is a pleasant, relaxing ride that puts you right at your terminal, but again, when you're there for business, that whole morning of shopping or eating is at a premium compared to leisure travel. And of course you get about a half day messing around when you arrive at narita, getting bags, train tickets and so on.

Oh and one other weird thing - for some reason the equipment to Narita is more likely to be a Dreamliner or a380 and that makes a HUGE difference on a flight that long. Anyhoo I'm being pretty granular and anal here.

Of course I'm mostly speaking from a public transportation perspective but even for Shinjuku we are talking about 1 1/2h vs 50min (with the Keikyuu and Yamanote lines) - using the more expensive express bus you could be in Shinjuku in 30min though.
And that's already the worst case for Narita. The Skyliner for Ueno would be faster than even taking a car from Haneda.

At the end I don't think any of the two airports are making a big difference. I wouldn't pay more to get a flight for Haneda instead Narita for example - despite the fact that my next flight to Tokyo goes over Haneda.

OnkelC

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked Berlin-Tempelhof when it was still operational. short ways in the terminal, impressive architecture and a great landing approach.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Best airports are all the tiny regional airports where it takes under 5 minutes to get from the plane to your car on the parking lot.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think your experience tends to be shaped by whether the airport is in your home country. Heathrow is a breeze if you don't have to go through customs, for example, and the facilities are great. But I don't know how they treat visitors and how long lines are etc.

Apatxi Chief

Dec 2, 2017
Has to be Queen Tamar airport in Mestia, Georgia.

queen-tamar-mestia-airport.jpg

vanilla-sky-plane-mestia-airport.jpg

01%20Mestia%20airport.jpg

Cool design and breathtaking view over the Georgian mountains. Also one of the very few airports where I cold actually walk from directly to town (which is about 2 km away). Flying in and out of there was one of the best plane trips of my life.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
MSP has the nicest amenities. But I live in Fargo, ND and there's no other airports I like flying in/out of since there's never more than two flights at a time. Security and baggage are super fast and I can always find somewhere to sit.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the US:

Minneapolis, Phoenix, and Denver.

I haven't flown internationally since 2007 other than Cancun last year (which was ok I guess), so I can't really comment.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
In the US, Phoenix. Especially the food game. They've added most of the best restaurants in Phoenix (Fox Concepts). The food game is so strong there that the wife and I go there for dinner. The restaurant-court in terminal 4, outside security has an amazing lineup of top end restaurants. Rather than wait hours at the regular locations in Phoenix, Scottsdale, and Gilbert to eat we skip the lines and dine at the airport.

SeanBoocock

Senior Engineer @ Epic Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
My votes for US airports would be Phoenix Sky Harbor (Terminal 3/4) and Austin-Bergstrom. I remember liking Denver too, but haven't been through it in ~15 years or so.

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it was a bit of a contrast effect because I expected it to be run of the mill, but I loved the Minnesota airport. Great food options, iPads everywhere to browse and order meals, interesting shops, clean and well maintained - it's a hidden gem.