• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Best action movie of the last decade?

• Edge of Tomorrow

Votes: 118 10.6%
  • Mad Max: Fury Road

Votes: 674 60.8%
  • Surely one of the John Wick movies

Votes: 114 10.3%
  • Perhaps one of the Mission Impossible ones

Votes: 38 3.4%
  • Hey, The Raid happened

Votes: 116 10.5%
  • Something something MCU

Votes: 25 2.3%
  • My favorite isn't one of the poll choices

Votes: 23 2.1%

• Total voters

Hiraeth

Mar 16, 2018
London, UK
In terms of large scale vehicular action and cinematography, it's Fury Road.

In terms of crazy martial arts choreography and uncompromising violence, it's the Raid films.

In terms of firearm-based combat and a tone that perfectly balances cheesy with cool, it's the John Wick films.

Also, anyone who says Dredd is crazy. I mean, it's good but it's just a discount version of The Raid.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
John Wick, Edge of Tomorrow, Winter Soldier, Raid1 and Inception get my vote

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Fury road is the indisputable GOAT! Edge of Tomorrow is pretty damn great too and so are the recent MI films since Ghost Protocol and the John Wick series, never seen the raid films and am seeking to rectify that soon.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Forget Raid 2, i still think Raid 1 is the reference for a action movie, great gunplay, great combat, great atmosphere, a ton of little detail in the tower to make it believable, short story that work. This could be a stand alone movie and be a amazing exprience.

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017
I have never understood the MMFR love, it was one of the worst films I've ever seen. It came across as purile, childish junk to me, and one of the worst action films I've seen, yet it tops many a list.................. so, what the hell am I missing?.... EoT is so much more entertaining and fun for me. Oh well.

Dultimate

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the love for Fury Road as an action film either. Not when it's up against movies like John Wick, MI, The Raid. It's a great movie as a whole but it terms of action its 'okay'.

I get MCU is mindless drivel to some but I would say Infinity War has more all out action than Fury Road.

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I dunno. The quick succession of awesome action movies was amazing with Winter Soldier, Kingsman, Edge of Tomorrow and John Wick. Hard to choose between all those amazing movies. 2014 was stacked

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017
I get MCU is mindless drivel to some but I would say Infinity War has more all out action than Fury Road.

Way more, and I'm no MCU fan at all, quite the opposite in fact; I'm sick and tired of the whole 'superhero' thing, yet it engaged me on many levels that Fury Road did not. Not that it matters in the slightest, but I'm genuinely baffled by Fury Road, and why it's almost universally loved.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
images

Edge of Tomorrow

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I love Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt, but EDGE OF TOMORROW didn't really connect with me. I thought it was fine but I actually enjoyed SOURCE CODE more. FURY ROAD is the easy choice in my mind. Just look at how other top level filmmakers talk about it. Masterful filmmaking.

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man I need to watch Raid 2 again. Never in my life have I been on the edge of my seat like that for a movie. That action is just jaw dropping. The last 2 fights as well...so damn satisfying.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I voted for Fury Road because that movie is just an incredible achievement.

But god damn you for making me neglect The Raid movies, Edge of Tomorrow, and MI4, 5, and 6.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that can make Mad Max better is if Tom Cruise is in it. I HAVE to give the nod to Mad Max, but MI:Fallout is amazing

GuruSensei

Sep 9, 2019
For me, personally, it's Edge of Tomorrow, Fury Road and Dunkirk.

Edge of Tomorrow for its clever use mixing war tropes with Groundhog Day

Fury Road for its octane action and immersive world-building

and Dunkirk, for not only Nolan's stripped down, nearly dialogue-free work, but the way he builds tension, even things like crossing a rickety plank

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
It's either Fury Road or John Wick 2 for me.

Fury Road has better world-building and has incredible pacing for being what is essentially a 2 hour chase scene.

John Wick 2 also has really good world-building and does a wonderful job of pushing action movie tropes to near levels of parody so that it can ride the line between excellent action and pure ridiculousness without ever going too far. It his such perfect note of harmony between the two in a way that is a true loveletter to the genre.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Fury Road. It's not even close either.

Mad Max: Fury Road is up there with T2: Judgement Day as one of the greatest action movies of all time.

Oct 30, 2017
it's fallout.

i love fury road but it's just apocalypto in the desert.

GuruSensei

Sep 9, 2019
I'll go Edge, because it was the best of those overall.

Mad Max had a spectacular first hour, and I liked it a lot, but my rating of it dropped off a bit by the time it was over.

Also, no Christopher Nolan movies have satisfying action.
Come on, not even the hallway fight? Shit still holds up

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
John Wick's gotta be one of the most overrated franchises movies in some time. It's a very fun action series with awesome lore and world building but seeing in the best action of the decade

BvYPTJf.gif

The Raid 1 and 2 , without a doubt.

giphy.gif
Definitely this. But I love Fury Road also.

Gotta give +1 to EoT's barn scene. One of my favorite movie moments in the last couple of years. :')

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
OP's title has my 2 favourite picks, hard to decide between the two for me. The John Wicks aren't too far behind.

Haven't seen the raid movies, thanks for the headsup.

- I voted Edge of Tomorrow as I really love that movie and it's not getting much love. Stellar performance by Tom Cruise too.

Last edited:

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Man I need to watch Raid 2 again. Never in my life have I been on the edge of my seat like that for a movie. That action is just jaw dropping. The last 2 fights as well...so damn satisfying.
Everyone talks about the end game fight in the Raid 2 but the three way fight before is straight one of the goat fighting scenes ever written, past, present, future.

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
Fury Road is nearly perfect from start to finish but my vote would still go to The Raid 2.

Oct 27, 2017
There is no contest. The poll is correct.

I really gotta side eye all of you saying otherwise.

Also action film isn't "martial arts" film. Best choreography is not what was asked. You people need to be making a best dancing poll of your own.

Last edited:

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
Can't say I've seen all of the movies listed...

But Fury Road was something else. That was such a phenomenal film, so that's where my vote goes.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Picking bests in media is usually really tough, but this is one of the rare times when it's really simple. It's Fury Road.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
Fury road is its own thing. It's beautifully shot, non-stop action, a masterpiece.
I voted for Edge of Tomorrow because as a movie I enjoy it more, it has a more involving emotional core and I have rewatched it, and I see the irony, multiple times. The third act just misses the mark a little bit, but just that final scene always gives me goosebumps.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've watched the making offs, the dissections on YouTube and seen the movie two times. I still fail to see what is displayed that makes Fury Road a genre defining master piece. It's a good movie but that's it, for me. The Matrix is a hundred times more thought provoking, zeitgeist establishing and important then FR ever will be, yet ERA, without fail, makes it seem like it's somehow the case for FR.

I dont care really, I just find my own ignorance on this movie fascinating, I tried to get it but can't.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Fury Road exists on another tier to every single other film here. And most of those other films are amazing films.

I've watched the making offs, the dissections on YouTube and seen the movie two times. I still fail to see what is displayed that makes Fury Road a genre defining master piece. It's a good movie but that's it, for me. The Matrix is a hundred times more thought provoking, zeitgeist establishing and important then FR ever will be, yet ERA, without fail, makes it seem like it's somehow the case for FR.

I dont care really, I just find my own ignorance on this movie fascinating, I tried to get it but can't.
A film doesn't need to be "thought-provoking" to be a masterpiece. It also doesn't have to be a pop-culture phenomenon to be one.

Fury Road is a masterful display of action direction, practical effects and stunts, set in the hugely ambitious premise of a constant rolling convoy where most of the action is happening at speed. It's just an incredible feat of planning, engineering, execution.

Then the film itself is a tightly paced action film. Expertly framed, directed, edited. The action sequences are interesting and complex. The film is a lot of fun.

The story is minimalistic but despite the small amount of words exchanged manages to have an incredible amount of heart. The bond that forms between the two protagonists with so little words exchanged feels incredibly realized and being able to pull that off with such minimal dialogue is a feat in itself, and it's rarely something we even see in this genre.

The costume design is amazing. The characters are distinct and full of personality. The colour grading is beautiful. The vehicle design is insanely detailed and incredibly fun. The environments are visually gorgeous despite being so stark. Every single aspect of the film is just so well-made.

It all comes together into this visually striking, tightly paced, frantic and thrilling action film that is full of soul and character. It's a masterpiece, imo.

Last edited: