• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PrimeRib

Nov 16, 2017
I've been really enjoying Sniper Elite 4 on PS4 Pro, which runs at a mostly consistent 60fps framerate. As long as the X got the same enhancement treatment, I'd expect it to be stable, if not a locked 60fps experience. Great shooter.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely Overwatch for casual multiplayer. You can go as casual as you want and slowly crank it up all by deciding what character to use.

OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
-Jedi: Fallen Order: Yeah, we haven't even seen the game at all, but Respawn's proven to me that they're a super talented developer and I'm so excited to see their take on Star Wars, especially with Stig Asmussen at the helm.
If you're afraid of Cod because you think it's hardcore, I'd stay away from bfv. Cod is the king of casual fps.
Blops 4 is not hardcore at all, I haven't played a CoD game online properly in years until this one and I'm having a ton of fun with it. I'm by no means a great player but I do ok. Battlefield 5 is good too.

Borderlands 2 can be done solo and is a lot of fun. As are the three Wolfenstein games.
Black Ops 4 is casual fun. Titanfall 2 is mostly sweats only
I'd agree with this for BO4. I feel off COD games a loooong time ago but I've loved BO4 this year. I've played a ton of it listening to podcasts this holiday.
Honestly try Black Ops 4. Its a well paced hero shooter that doesnt lean too hard into the class based stuff. Its got progression and the tight feel of a great console shooter. Black Out mode is much slower paced overall. Doom for the singleplayer.
You should give the game another look. The TTK is high for a COD game, and the new battle royale Blackout mode is pretty great.

Only played a few matches but I'm glad I picked up BLOPS4. It feels really, really good to move + shoot.

I'm not interested in BR, but the regular MP (+ maybe Zombies if I decide to try that, though it doesn't sound too interesting) seems like a very comprehensive package. There's a lot going on in the unlocks, modes, etc that I need to figure out.

Any tips for a new player? I love that everyone starts with $500 and you buy equipment - does this hold for all MP modes? The old COD games felt kind of weird with crazy kill streak planes that you had to grind for days to unlock - does this have any of that, because off the bat I feel competitive at level 1.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Only played a few matches but I'm glad I picked up BLOPS4. It feels really, really good to move + shoot.

I'm not interested in BR, but the regular MP (+ maybe Zombies if I decide to try that, though it doesn't sound too interesting) seems like a very comprehensive package. There's a lot going on in the unlocks, modes, etc that I need to figure out.

Any tips for a new player? I love that everyone starts with $500 and you buy equipment - does this hold for all MP modes? The old COD games felt kind of weird with crazy kill streak planes that you had to grind for days to unlock - does this have any of that, because off the bat I feel competitive at level 1.

The 'buying equipment with $$$ is only one mode - Heist. The other modes (Team Deathmatch, Kill Confirmed, Domination etc) are all traditional MP with scoretreaks and stuff. You'll unlock the ability to create a class with the weapons/abilities that you like eventually but just play around with all the weapon types and stuff. It's all good.

Oct 28, 2017
Good call as you seem like somebody who appreciates a good feeling shooter. There's allot of cynicism around CoD but you can't deny that it's one of the best feeling shooters still till this day. Halo 5 and Titanfall 2 are close but lack allot of meaningful progression and have died off in terms of their communities.

Also I can't believe I left out Siege. It's one of the few games I'm playing right now lol. And if you can, Doom is on game pass.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
Battlefield V is great for casual players if you don't care about stats and just enjoy the ridiculous shit that's happening around you.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Wolfenstein TNO and DOOM are both must-plays, imo. Wolfenstein TOB and TNC are also worth playing.

They're all pretty cheap, too.

OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The 'buying equipment with $$$ is only one mode - Heist. The other modes (Team Deathmatch, Kill Confirmed, Domination etc) are all traditional MP with scoretreaks and stuff. You'll unlock the ability to create a class with the weapons/abilities that you like eventually but just play around with all the weapon types and stuff. It's all good.

Ah, OK. What's with the heroes? Do you pick one and customize them further with cosmetics + pick 10 stuff?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Ah, OK. What's with the heroes? Do you pick one and customize them further with cosmetics + pick 10 stuff?

No, they're just something you pick before the match. The only difference is their ability. They've got a 'super' ability thing they can use once it's powered up (which happens over time). And a smaller ability on RB. You'll learn what they all do really fast. You'll soon find a favourite.

They all have the same speed/health etc. No differences there.

Oct 26, 2017
Lol at COD being too hardcore. If you want to listen to podcasts while playing, I'd say BFV just because footstep sounds very rarely come into it. It's still low TTK though, but it's got 32v32 fighting over a couple of control points. Hard to get more casual than that right?

Oeufcoque

Oct 27, 2017
Vermintide 2 is on Xbox Game Pass with 1X support. I know it's not a shooter but it is definitely worth a try. Not sure about 60fps since I only played it on PC.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Have they finally fixed Halo MCC? That would be my pick. Fantastic games.

Also Titanfall 2 and Doom for Singleplayer stuff.