• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Best 2D Metroidvania of this Generation?

• Dead Cells

Votes: 55 5.2%
  • Hollow Knight

Votes: 673 63.6%
  • Steamworld Dig/2

Votes: 46 4.3%
  • Guacamelee/2

Votes: 45 4.2%
  • Axiom Verge

Votes: 64 6.0%
  • Ori and the Blind Forest

Votes: 167 15.8%
  • Salt & Sanctuary

Votes: 9 0.8%

• Total voters

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
These threads should all be about the second best, and Hollow Knight should not be an option in the poll.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Bloodstained. Ori is a close runner up.
Bloodstained and Monster Boy aren't listed. Dead Cells not really a Metroidvania?
Bunch of plataformers in the pool and not Bloodstained the best metroidvania to come in a long time.
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is my choice. I have no idea why it's not in this poll.
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
AM2R and Bloodstained CoTM/RoTN.
If Bloodstained was on the list it would get my vote. Not sure why it isn't, considering it has heritage in the genre's namesake.

OP why did Bloodstained, the spiritual sequel to the original defacto Metroidvania from its own creator, get omitted?

Genuinely curious. I think it would have fallen to second place after Hollow Knight but it's basically the most obligatory option here.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Bloodstained for me. Really liked the level upand gear mechanics. Hollow Knight was also very good but too convoluted for its own good IMO.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the tacked on souls mechanic really hurt Hollow Knight, it's a game where you die alot and having to go back and get your corpse just kills the pacing because the lack of a fast travel and nothing about the traversal being fun, it's just boring and made me not want to play the game anymore despite the combat being pretty good. I also remember the game being completely silent most of the time, which just adds to the boredom of traversal.

I like Guacamelee the best, lots of comboing, traversal is fun because of the combat>platforming>puzzle solving, and a fast travel system when needed, which isnt even that often because you're constantly getting new abilities that help you get more chests and at the end you can basically fly.

Edit: I've been corrected about fast travel in Hollow Knight, my bad.

Last edited:

Deleted member 39144

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Pretty sure no one played Guacamelee. Hollow Knight was in humble bundles and spammed on this forum endlessly for months, Guacamelee is also pretty damn old but it's still the best metroidvania of the past 10 years(haven't played bloodstained).

GM's arena style combat actually makes it incredibly fun to play, like punching and kicking and suplexing enemies is just a blast. The movement options make platforming a dream and even with it's updated version I feel like the game could've still taken it one step further. Also has a very normal map system of uncovering as you go. I can't say any of this for Hollow Knights one button slash combat and die in 2 hits to tiny fast bugs gameplay. Walking around checking the map only seeing blank screen because you have to trudge around samey looking screens to buy a map, everything just felt like a chore.

I'm sure as with every other metroidvania it opens up but starting out with a hit and run combat system is just not fun at all whereas other games new abilities feel like upgrades or almost disguised as '+ Stat' rather than absolutely necessary. I didn't play HK enough to see if your sword swing ever got a simple follow up swing as a upgrade, but I didn't care to because there should've been one there from the start.

Imagine a devil may cry game where Dante can swing his sword once and you have to beat missions to get his second sword swing then a 3rd. You have to reload his guns after a few shots before getting a unlimited ammo upgrade. HK just feels so damn restrictive when we've had fluid almost free flow games showing how it should be done nearly 7-8 years ago.

After revisiting Guacamelee and even Dust an Elysian tale recently, I wonder why hollow Knight gets as much praise as it did.
As someone who has completed both Guacamelee and Guacamelee 2, Hollow Knight is still better. They're both great games but HK is just that much better.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
omg @ this lead!!!!!
well deserved, hollow knight i the best metroidvania game ever made. really raised the bar for the genre. can't wait for silk song.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
I got to go with Hollow Knight on this one. It just came out of nowhere and blew me away.

One of the times I'm glad I didn't follow a game up to release or hype, and got an amazing surprise in return.

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the tacked on souls mechanic really hurt Hollow Knight, it's a game where you die alot and having to go back and get your corpse just kills the pacing because the lack of a fast travel and nothing about the traversal being fun, it's just boring and made me not want to play the game anymore despite the combat being pretty good. I also remember the game being completely silent most of the time, which just adds to the boredom of traversal.

I like Guacamelee the best, lots of comboing, traversal is fun because of the combat>platforming>puzzle solving, and a fast travel system when needed, which isnt even that often because you're constantly getting new abilities that help you get more chests and at the end you can basically fly.

Hollow Knight has fast travels though. You even unlock a customizable teleport. And traversal ends up very fast too once you unlock more abilities.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
This is tough! I have Hollow Knight but unfortunately I haven't gotten around to playing it, so my choice is Axiom Verge. Admittedly I have a feeling Hollow Knight will become my choice too based on what I've seen and read.

What would be interesting to see next is how Hollow Knight stacks up to the 2D action/puzzle/platformers that aren't Metroidvanias but are still reasonable to compare like Celeste and Owlboy.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure no one played Guacamelee. Hollow Knight was in humble bundles and spammed on this forum endlessly for months, Guacamelee is also pretty damn old but it's still the best metroidvania of the past 10 years(haven't played bloodstained).

GM's arena style combat actually makes it incredibly fun to play, like punching and kicking and suplexing enemies is just a blast. The movement options make platforming a dream and even with it's updated version I feel like the game could've still taken it one step further. Also has a very normal map system of uncovering as you go. I can't say any of this for Hollow Knights one button slash combat and die in 2 hits to tiny fast bugs gameplay. Walking around checking the map only seeing blank screen because you have to trudge around samey looking screens to buy a map, everything just felt like a chore.

I'm sure as with every other metroidvania it opens up but starting out with a hit and run combat system is just not fun at all whereas other games new abilities feel like upgrades or almost disguised as '+ Stat' rather than absolutely necessary. I didn't play HK enough to see if your sword swing ever got a simple follow up swing as a upgrade, but I didn't care to because there should've been one there from the start.

Imagine a devil may cry game where Dante can swing his sword once and you have to beat missions to get his second sword swing then a 3rd. You have to reload his guns after a few shots before getting a unlimited ammo upgrade. HK just feels so damn restrictive when we've had fluid almost free flow games showing how it should be done nearly 7-8 years ago.

After revisiting Guacamelee and even Dust an Elysian tale recently, I wonder why hollow Knight gets as much praise as it did.
Nah, both of the Guacamelee games and Dust have fun combat but following an arrow on a map isn't my definition of great metroidvania.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
This is tough! I have Hollow Knight but unfortunately I haven't gotten around to playing it, so my choice is Axiom Verge. Admittedly I have a feeling Hollow Knight will become my choice too based on what I've seen and read.

What would be interesting to see next is how Hollow Knight stacks up to the 2D action/puzzle/platformers that aren't Metroidvanias but are still reasonable to compare like Celeste and Owlboy.
It has surprisingly tight platforming but to be honest it's unfair to compare it on that to something like Celeste, just like it would be unfair to compare Celeste's level design to Hollow Knight. They're totally different styles of game.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
You must be crazy if you think Metroidvanias are "underrated" this gen OP. Pretty sure there have been 10-20 Hollow Knight LTTP threads so far lol

Voted Steamworld Dig 2 as that is the only one of these I enjoyed enough to beat. Really like Zero Mission, Super Metroid, and Metroid II but maybe I am not actually a fan of the genre anymore looking at this list

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
It has surprisingly tight platforming but to be honest it's unfair to compare it on that to something like Celeste, just like it would be unfair to compare Celeste's level design to Hollow Knight. They're totally different styles of game.

They are, but think there is a certain baseline enjoyment of a 2D platformer that makes it appropriate to compare a more action oriented 2D game to a more puzzle/exploratory game, and so on. Like, Kingdom Hearts and Persona are very different JRPG's, and having a discussion on action RPG's or turn-based RPG's is great, but we can also have one about JRPG's as a whole. Maybe one style is more popular than the other. Maybe one style is more consistently done well but the other has the highest highs. Stuff like that.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
no clear winner IMO, they were all great in their own way. gun to my head though guess i'd go with Hollow Knight

apropos i replayed SOTN recently ye gods man that is one good ass game. amazing 20 years later and iterated upon so many times i could be so engrossed in it

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
Hollow Knight and it's not even close. HK is one of those games that would even compete for game of the generation and make the top 10.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Bloodstained is indeed a very strange omission from the poll.

OP why did Bloodstained, the spiritual sequel to the original defacto Metroidvania from its own creator, get omitted?

Genuinely curious. I think it would have fallen to second place after Hollow Knight but it's basically the most obligatory option here.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Elliot Quest is my favorite. Among the ones listed, I think I enjoyed Guacamelee (STCE) and Ori most. I like challenging platforming and generous checkpointing!

Seconded, I know we're always posting about it but I really loved playing Elliot Quest - and still need to beat it!

TortadeJamon

Banned
Dec 23, 2018
tBnam2X.png

Xythantiops

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously Hollow Knight.

People should also give Iconoclasts and Monster Boy a look as well.

I don't understand the aversion towards Salt and Sanctuary. Is it just the aesthetics that turn people off? It's a pretty damn good game.

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Because I'm dumb! In hindsight I should've swapped out Dead Cells or Salt & Sanctuary for Bloodstained.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Hollow Knight at 1.

Axiom Verge at 2.

The rest of the list doesn't really come close imo, but I'd put Monster Boy in there for sure and that would be the real number 2.

marcinaldo

Oct 28, 2017
From those that I tried / played (Bloodstained, Hollow Knight, Dead Cells, Guacamelee, Steamworld Dig, Monster Boy, Salt & Sanctuary - the last one I'm not even sure if it's Metroidvania, similar to Dead Cells), it's definitely Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. I had most fun with this game last year. It's too bad that it's not even an option.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
Bloodstained is nowhere near as good as Hollow Knight just like sotn is nowhere near as good as super metroid. I didn't think the level design was all that great in Bloodstained, the music was a bit of a let down, the visuals were pretty inconsistent and straight-up ugly in certain areas, and the actual gameplay didn't do much for me - it was too unbalanced and too easy to completely break, plus I ran into quite a few glitches and performance issues during my playthrough. Basically Bloodstained felt pretty sloppy in many areas while Hollow Knight was polished to a mirror sheen. Bloodstained was good in the end, but Hollow Knight stomps it from orbit.

will hollow knight crack era's top 20 game of the decade list?
i hope it does.
It fucking better.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
Whichever games in that list that give you this ability instead of fast travel win in my book:
source.gif

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro

Because it's simply perfection in gaming form.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
I'd put Hollow Knight over Ori, but both are phenomenal.

Haven't played Bloodstained yet, but it definitely should be on the poll

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
I knew Hollow Knight was really popular, but I didn't know it was overwhelmingly considered the best. Am I the only one put off by the lack of challenging enemies?

Ya unfortunately base enemies are generally easy and you have to get to boss fights to really flex your combat precision. Hard to make both a dense environment to navigate and simultaneously populate with quick and difficult "standard" enemies. There's no Grace and Glory equivalent of standard enemies which is a shame.

Oct 30, 2017
Axiom Verge for me. The graphics were a bit rough, but the music is amazing. More importantly, it was a lot more creative with its powerups and weapons than everything else. Distant second is Hollow Knight, which I also recommend.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Monsters are the other pathfinders/exploration based platformers/castleroids