• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Immediate note: This is NOT about the Nintendo 3DS or 2DS.

On a whim today, I decided to play Contra 4 on the DS, when I had an epiphany.
This is probably the last great system for traditional sprite-based 2D graphics.

Which made MORE sense, considering the DS graphical capabilities roughly align somewhere above the 32-bit generation, including the 2D powerhouse of Sega Saturn, and around the N64.
Considering the 5th gen has some stunning-looking games, I felt it was only right to finally celebrate the original Nintendo DS as the last great 2D console.

What other stunning 2D games are out on the DS that people may have missed out on? It can be full 2D or a combo of 2D-3D.
JUST GIMME THAT 2D POWER!

Here are some Contra 4 screenshots that I grabbed from across the image search - if anyone has GIFs of these, feel free to post!

262649-contra-4-nintendo-ds-screenshot-blowing-up-more-stuff-in-level.png
264777-contra-4-nintendo-ds-screenshot-riding-a-platform-elevator.png
264779-contra-4-nintendo-ds-screenshot-ain-t-she-pretty.png

Edit: Found some Contra 4 GIFs

0914131933a17dec087bcb773caa3b01.gif
tumblr_inline_p8lorrkUzj1r2gkqp_400.gifv
8q50uNdOXsfbxOl4r0llFsLN_M1hJ05if62mz_w5d2p--4nXOpzWnCHcHMlC-0uxSe1QaX-13XHEzYDdMzDpd1VrQoNf3Bc

Last edited:

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
tumblr_or7028cUnq1roqda3o1_400.gifv

Monster Tale is one of the best looking 2D games on the system. Absolutely gorgeous pixel art.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
I'm ready to see a bunch of emulator high res shots that fuck with my childhood recollection and make me think that the games I played as a kid are a lot prettier than I remember buy them used online and get really disappointed when I boot them up

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
Henry Hatsworth is charming as shit too

tumblr_o94lwvAIbu1roqda3o1_400.gifv

Final Fantasy 4 Heroes of Light has a really charming art style that smartly doesn't overtax the DS, while most 3D games kinda looked pretty rough

JxxnDpp.gif
I am always shocked how good four heroes of light looks; I almost prefer the style to where they went with bravely default

Awakened

Oct 27, 2017
I really appreciate the graphical overhaul Kirby Super Star Ultra got. The animation is super nice:

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I've got a pretty decent DS collection for this reason!
And also because devs on DS were not afraid to try some weird shit.

I think playing different kinds of games and getting experience with different ideas makes me a better game developer.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
Doraemon: Nobita to Midori no Kyojinden. It's super easy and short but damn I love that sprite work.

D42PddMXkAA8uDy

D42PddMXsAANQXu

D42PddRWkAIGaI2

D42PddMWkAAmWYc

Also Coropata is basically the otaku version of The Incredible Machine. The sprite work was made by some guys from Vanillaware. The game is now one of the most expensive DS games but the creator is working on a new version for Switch.

Oct 25, 2017
There's not enough pixel art on the DS, unfortunately. And a lot of them seem to be JP only too, with a lot of 2D anime licensed games looking decent. As Monster Tale was already mentioned, I'll say both the Ace Attorney games and (kinda cheating) Solatorobo are up there too.

OP
OP
Glimlocker

Glimlocker

This all makes me wonder what some of the games will look like with scanlines when the DS to TV consolizer comes out.
Our would it be better with the individual lattice scanlines that the DSi XL has?

tumblr_or7028cUnq1roqda3o1_400.gifv

Monster Tale is one of the best looking 2D games on the system. Absolutely gorgeous pixel art.

I've been looking to get this game for a while - any thoughts on how it plays?

Doraemon: Nobita to Midori no Kyojinden. It's super easy and short but damn I love that sprite work.

D42PddMXkAA8uDy

D42PddMXsAANQXu

D42PddRWkAIGaI2

D42PddMWkAAmWYc

Also Coropata is basically the otaku version of The Incredible Machine. The sprite work was made by some guys from Vanillaware. The game is now one of the most expensive DS games but the creator is working on a new version for Switch.

Yes, please to both of these. The sprite work on the Doraemon is insane - is that a mix of 2D-3D assets?
And the bottom one's artwork reminds me of a PS1 2D game - Milano no Arubaito.

I've got a pretty decent DS collection for this reason!
And also because devs on DS were not afraid to try some weird shit.

I think playing different kinds of games and getting experience with different ideas makes me a better game developer.

Yes - the DS is also one of the last times it seemed like devs just decided to go really far out with some of their game ideas.
It still exists, of course, in the indie scene, but I don't know if we'll be seeing anything like Ghost Trick for a while from Capcom, for example.

DoctorDave

Nov 6, 2019
It's funny that you brought up Contra 4 TC, it's the first that came to my mind reading your thread title. It's a shame that sprite based games now only come from smaller, often indie projects (not that there's anything wrong with indie games, mind you).

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017

D42PddMXkAA8uDy

D42PddMXsAANQXu

D42PddRWkAIGaI2

D42PddMWkAAmWYc

Wow, that Doraemon game looks really good!

qaopjlll

Oct 27, 2017
Shantae Risky's revenge is another fine example, thanks to the legendary pixel artist Henk Nieborg (who also worked on Contra 4).
1ZjKLXJ.png

shantae_-riskys-revenge-directors-cut_20150610165224-1000x600.jpg

Karakato

Oct 29, 2017
The castlevania games are all eye candy but Order of Ecclesia stands above the other 2 imo. For one it has the best art direction, ditching the anime aesthetic for something more gothic. Also the way Shanoa's hair animates ingame is silky smooth. Probably my fave CV run frame in the series.
333597-castlevania-order-of-ecclesia-nintendo-ds-screenshot-and-another.png
image0962-custom-custom.bmp
TO6qNYdMv4ofd9kCJX1oasMwydnjPX1NNrdOuSUHcia-syjbPMYy1m574cmWYjRj-Y572icN9y2cQQyBTqx7Y1hUA4PpGohv_4TiwSVfpAWZA61BQKDqKZ-LUsrV

OP
OP
Glimlocker

Glimlocker

It's funny that you brought up Contra 4 TC, it's the first that came to my mind reading your thread title. It's a shame that sprite based games now only come from smaller, often indie projects (not that there's anything wrong with indie games, mind you).

Indeed. And when I was playing Contra 4, I thought - wait, how many other games are out there on the DS like this that I've missed out on?
Now that I'm doing some research...a lot.

To think that there was so much 2D goodness going on during this time, and I didn't realize it (or care).
To my amateur eye, it really seems like some of these games were pushing the DS hardware pretty well, but I'm certainly not an expert on that matter.

While I enjoy 2D games today, I realize most of them aren't coming close to straining the hardware.
There's something about the "natively" designed sprite work within the confines of the console limitations that's special.

The Legendary Starfy:

Aaaaaaand I just bought Legendary Starfy. That squid, tho.

Shantae Risky's revenge is another fine example, thanks to the legendary pixel artist Henk Nieborg (who also worked on Contra 4).

Ok - that explains a lot. Contra 4 is absolutely ridiculous for the sprite work. Is Henk still over at WayForward? I am now a big fan.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I miss games like the ones mentioned here.

Surprisingly, Thor on DS has good sprite work. It's fun too. I believe way forward did that one too.

Karakato

Oct 29, 2017
1ZjKLXJ.png
Speaking off which, the previous 2 wayforward DSiWare games, Mighty Flip Champs and Mighty Milky Way, aren't too shabby either. I'm hoping Wayforward decides to continue with the "Mighty" series after Mighty Switch force, I do love me some quirky puzzle platforming.
unknown.png
mfMilSUz1fRKh2ZGVRoi7iJBKxzNYt_TGFHRh3O4nZh-x3ZpZ_HCzk8ogHDxf2XmRPvpo-9yx1dLHw8BHB0UueaS9Lx-zTYe9IDP.png

Also shoutout to another wayforward developed game, Aliens Infestation. Really cool game, kinda like the metroid game we never got for the DS.
Alines%2B3DS.bmp%20%20

MLH

Oct 26, 2017
Gen 5 Pokemon. Black/ White & Black 2/White 2. Yeah it used quite a bit of 3D for the environments, but had beautiful animated 2D sprites for every Pokemon.
The amount of work that went into doing all those animations, it's really sad that they were only used for a couple games...

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
On top of being the only version of the game worth a damn, the Thor movie tie-in on DS has some pretty nice Contra 4-esque sprite art, courtesy of WayForward

thorgodofthunder_00.jpg

41817-ingame-Thor-God-of-Thunder.jpg

riq

Feb 21, 2019
I've tried emulating DS games on multiple devices, but they never look as crisp and colorful as in my DS Lite. Do ZX and ZX Advent look blurry on the Switch collection?

NMFried

Oct 25, 2017
TX
Man... I LOVE the DS. I gotta give shoutouts to Magical Starsign, Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes and Children of Mana

13952e510af78465dcc4aa82cea30a28.jpg
ds_ubisoft_might-magic-clash-heroes_1.jpg
313378-children-of-mana-nintendo-ds-screenshot-inside-the-building.png