• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Siren and Silent Hill will be back next gen. Book it.

I'd include Dino Crisis but I have no clue if thy would actually come back as a survival horror title
giphy.gif

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I hope that game isn't canceled. Been over a year since the reveal trailer I believe.
I hope it's not either especially after the creative and art director of the game left the studio.
It's not cancelled as far as I know. For how I understand it, Bethesda is what's tearing Tango Gameworks apart and what lead to her leaving. Shinji Mikami took over directing GhostWire after she left, which I know some will be happy to hear and I'm sure he's working hard on it. But it's not what he wants, and he's been having a lot of problems with Bethesda recently as well. But he's under contractual obligation for the project.

Bethesda would not be happy with me or anyone talking about this, but I heard this from a very credible source.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 is in development.

Shadow of Chernobyl was largely a horror game (later installments, not so much), so there's a chance GSC decide to tap into that vein again, which would be very neat.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We'll get Resident Evil VIII. Besides that i think there are tons of good indie studio's that scratch that itch.

OP
OP
litebrite

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not cancelled as far as I know. For how I understand it, Bethesda is what's tearing Tango Gameworks apart and what lead to her leaving. Shinji Mikami took over directing GhostWire after she left, which I know some will be happy to hear and I'm sure he's working hard on it. But it's not what he wants, and he's been having a lot of problems with Bethesda recently as well. But he's under contractual obligation for the project.

Bethesda would not be happy with me or anyone talking about this, but I heard this from a very credible source.
What is Bethesda doing that's tearing Tango Gameworks apart? You're definitely right that a lot of people will be happy to know that Mikami too over directing GhostWire.

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
I just mean there wasn't enough survival mechanics in those games to make me think they're in the same league as Resident Evil and Silent Hill.

It says nothing on how scary they are. Blood Curse was also the scariest game I've ever played until PT came along.

I still think Siren had plenty of survival elements to sit right next to those two (particularly as it had the original Silent Hill director involved).

Sleepwalker

Oct 29, 2017
Sony are really sitting on a gold mine with that Siren VR game. Just imagine it, sightjacking in VR, it would be the scariest shit ever (and probably cause a couple of strokes so I'm not sure whether I really want it or not lol). God I miss Siren, do something Sony!!!

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Sony are really sitting on a gold mine with that Siren VR game. Just imagine it, sightjacking in VR, it would be the scariest shit ever (and probably cause a couple of strokes so I'm not sure whether I really want it or not lol). God I miss Siren, do something Sony!!!
Honestly something like that may be in the works, we do know Keiichiro Toyama is working on his next game right now, and he has talked since Gravity Rush 2 released about how he wants to do a horror game (whether it be Siren or something else), his interest in working on a VR horror game, and thinking more about Siren recently due to it getting closer to the series 20th anniversary, I have this feeling we'll see another horror game, be it Siren or something else, out of him eventually at least.

OP
OP
litebrite

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Although not AAA, I'm curious how well Song of Horror gets ported to PS4/XB1 and if they get Pro/X enhanced. If they do a good job, I'll probably buy it to support.

Sleepwalker

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly something like that may be in the works, we do know Keiichiro Toyama is working on his next game right now, and he has talked since Gravity Rush 2 released about how he wants to do a horror game (whether it be Siren or something else), his interest in working on a VR horror game, and thinking more about Siren recently due to it getting closer to the series 20th anniversary, I have this feeling we'll see another horror game, be it Siren or something else, out of him eventually at least.

Oh yeah, whatever Toyama does I'll be on board. He's one of those developers who has never really let me down. Although the Gravity Rush games were among my favorites this gen, I'm really eager to see him back at the helm of a horror game, if only to see what madness he could come up with this time.

Oct 28, 2017

That really sucks. Thanks for telling us dusk. Hope shinji can work with someone else.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Although not AAA, I'm curious how well Song of Horror gets ported to PS4/XB1 and if they get Pro/X enhanced. If they do a good job, I'll probably buy it to support.

I'm buying it day one anyway. Saw some folks on Twitch playing it and I was sold on the concept immediately. Survival horror with multiple protagonists and permadeath? Yes please.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Nintendo PLEASE remaster Project Zero 2, 4 and 5.

Sony please let Kojima to make a Siren 2 sequel.

Other than that, I guess I expect Evil Within 3 after Ghostwire.
I'd rather have them making a new project zero that makes good use of the hardware in the switch than just remaster the old ones tbh

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
The only high-profile publisher I see dipping into horror is Bamco, actually- they're frequently publishign smaller scale projects like Get Even, or Little Nightmares, or even The Dark Pictures.

I could also see Embracer/THQN try to do something with those Alone in the Dark rights they've acquired from Atari.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Yes, we need more first party supporting new AAA survival horror games.
true, but porting everything over isnt the solution tbh. I think that a project zero 6 with some good marketing push behind it could sell really well. They can take full usage of the switch hardware, and maybe the dev team can get a bit more money this time around.

Im not saying: they may never port them over. But maiden of black water is already 6 years old, i would be pretty disappointing if they are about to announce a switch project zero and then for it to be a port of a 6y old game. First do a new one, and then they can port all they want if they want to.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Was Mikami busy with another project? Because he wasn't that involved with TEW2 and from your wording neither with GhostWire before he took over.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I can see another Fatal Frame (don't know if it'll leave Japan though/maybe we'll just get a digital release like Maiden of the Blackwater).

I think we'll get a Dead Space remaster trilogy and only if it does extraordinarily well will EA consider a reboot.

Silent Hill/Alan Wake are dead.

I could see F.E.A.R. getting a reboot that immediately crashes and burns.

I don't think we'll get an The Evil Within 3.

Otherwise we have to look to smaller AAA/AA studios for horror like Outlast 3.

(I don't consider TLOU/Dying Light to be horror, they only have some elements of it)

OP
OP
litebrite

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can see another Fatal Frame (don't know if it'll leave Japan though/maybe we'll just get a digital release like Maiden of the Blackwater).

I think we'll get a Dead Space remaster trilogy and only if it does extraordinarily well will EA consider a reboot.

(I don't consider TLOU/Dying Light to be horror, they only have some elements of it)

I definitely don't think Alan Wake is dead. I at least think an Alan Wake remaster is coming this year for XB1/PS4 and perhaps even Switch after MS renegotiated the music license rights and the publishing rights to the game reverted back to Remedy. Potentially this remaster will be used to stir back interest and build a bigger fanbase for the sequel.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Masahiro Ito is apparently working on a game that he hopes "won't be cancelled", so there's that.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I think we're likely going to see another Evil Within at some point. At least I hope we will.

Dead Space Trilogy remaster would be much welcomed too.

Oct 27, 2017
Toyama (Silent Hill, Siren, Gravity Rush) is working on something for Sony Japan Studios and has been talking about horror games and how he has been wanting to make another. He has even mentioned Siren a couple of times in specific.
A modern Siren given enough budget will give peope heart attacks. They better cancel that shit!

Hopefully they do make another one along with a third Gravity Rush. These guys are talented.

You know what would be cool? A remake of Rule of Rose.

Electricb7

Oct 27, 2017
Still surprised we didn't get Condemned 3, especially with VR being pushed. It just feels like a no brianer. I can see it being a gamble though.

OP
OP
litebrite

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still surprised we didn't get Condemned 3, especially with VR being pushed. It just feels like a no brianer. I can see it being a gamble though.
Last we heard of Condemned was in 2015 when Jace Hall, who owns the IP and franchise, contemplated getting an indie development team to move the franchise forward. I guess nothing came of it.

Quinho

Dec 25, 2017
I would love a remake of Clock Tower for the snes with a ultra polished AAA treatment.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I definitely don't think Alan Wake is dead. I at least think an Alan Wake remaster is coming this year for XB1/PS4 and perhaps even Switch after MS renegotiated the music license rights and the publishing rights to the game reverted back to Remedy. Potentially this remaster will be used to stir back interest and build a bigger fanbase for the sequel.

Is the original game not on the Xbox back-compat program? Either way I'd welcome a remaster but I don't think a sequel will happen considering they already tried and scrapped it.

But I would gladly be wrong cuz

It's not a lake, it's an ocean

Deleted member 32615

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I'm pretty certain that Kojima will make a horror game next, it just feels right

I'm also pretty hopeful of a FEAR 4 or a FEAR remake. It just seems right even if unlikely

OP
OP
litebrite

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is the original game not on the Xbox back-compat program? Either way I'd welcome a remaster but I don't think a sequel will happen considering they already tried and scrapped it.

But I would gladly be wrong cuz

It's not a lake, it's an ocean

Yes the original game is BC on Xbox One. The sequel was denied by MS who had right of first refusal for the sequel at the time. Remedy now has the publishing rights and can co-fund a sequel along with a publisher like 505 games, the same way they did Control. However they probably want to make a multiplatform remaster to make certain the audience is there.

OP
OP
litebrite

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Aside from RE games, everything in the op is AA.
They are all AAA. AAA has such a huge range now, some people believe a lot of games are AAAA. These survival horror games are on the lower end of AAA. Better yet if in this day and age, you're game is retailing for $60 dollars, then you're competing in the AAA space.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
They are all AAA. AAA has such a huge range now, some people believe a lot of games are AAAA. These survival horror games are on the lower end of AAA. Better yet if in this day and age, you're game is retailing for $60 dollars, then you're competing in the AAA space.
AAA has always been about budget and marketing and not about price range. Fortnite for example is very much AAA despite being free to play. Looking at budget and marketing none of those are AAA except for RE.

OP
OP
litebrite

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
AAA has always been about budget and marketing and not about price range. Fortnite for example is very much AAA despite being free to play. Looking at budget and marketing none of those are AAA except for RE.
I know that, and there's a huge range now is what I'm saying now. The range is only gotten wider, hence why the more expensive budgeted games being AAAA. AAA games range from 30 million to over hundreds of millions. LOL @ Alien Isolation and The Evil Within not being AAA games. You think these were cheap to make?

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
I know that, and there's a huge range now is what I'm saying now. The range is only gotten wider, hence why the more expensive budgeted games being AAAA. AAA games range from 30 million to over hundreds of millions. LOL @ Alien Isolation and The Evil Within not being AAA games. You think these were cheap to make?
They weren't cheap to make but they aren't exactly marketed a lot either. The amount of money spent on marketing balloons projects to AAA status most of the time with the couple exception being games like GTA which not only has huge marketing but also huge development budgets which makes it AAAA.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
I could see From Software, Kojima Productions, a PlayStation first party studio making a AAA survival horror game next gen.