• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Aside from F2P games is there any game publisher who allows one purchase to be used on multiple platforms? It would be cool if you could buy a game on the Ubisoft store for example and just download it on PS4 or Xbox One or PC and the Xbox Live fees or PSN Plus would cover it.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Not that I know of...
Well...technically GeForce Now. lol.

Oh you said game publisher...nvm.

Chille

Jan 7, 2018
Aside from F2P games is there any game publisher who allows one purchase to be used on multiple platforms? It would be cool if you could buy a game on the Ubisoft store for example and just download it on PS4 or Xbox One or PC and the Xbox Live fees or PSN Plus would cover it.
I mean Sony did last gen with portal, if you bought it on PS3 you got the steam version for free. It was cross play too!

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Sony and Nintendo don't have PC storefronts. Microsoft doesn't do it with Steam PC releases, only their own store. The only reason it happened once on PS3 was because Portal 2 was a Valve (Steam) game.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft is the only one with a store on console and PC. Only other ones that would do it would be Nintendo or Sony.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah there was Portal 2 on PS3.

Sony should open their own PC store to allow this.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
This falls into first-party territory.

As much as buying two copies of a game is valuable to companies, it is far more valuable if people can play the games they want with the people they want regardless of platforms. If first-party goes ahead and allows cross-purchases, I think it will be only a matter of time before the whole industry is okay with the idea that if you buy a game on one platform, you could play it wherever you want. :)

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eventually, hopefully everyone. Except I don't expect it from Nintendo because they're still somewhat stuck in the stone age.

I would imagine if game streaming takes off, it will be a necessity.

ChristianM

Mar 21, 2018
Sweden
I understand that Sony and Ms would not like the idea of someone buying a game on (for example) uplay on pc and then getting the game on xbox/playstation. That would remove their cut of the price completely. But is there any reason why the other way around can't happen? When you buy a ubisoft game on psstore you also get it on your uplay account and can play it on pc.

OP
OP
Iron Eddie

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Yeah there was Portal 2 on PS3.

Sony should open their own PC store to allow this.
PS all stars battle Royale
Sly Cooper

More plus slot of Indies with PS4/PS4/psv versions

I remember that now with Portal 2, it was cool and I know Sony did it with some Vita games.

This falls into first-party territory.

As much as buying two copies of a game is valuable to companies, it is far more valuable if people can play the games they want with the people they want regardless of platforms. If first-party goes ahead and allows cross-purchases, I think it will be only a matter of time before the whole industry is okay with the idea that if you buy a game on one platform, you could play it wherever you want. :)

A game like Minecraft is a good example where it should really be one purchase and play anywhere. I get it that Sony and Nintendo want to make money too but that is where online fees should cover or maybe a $10 fee per extra platform instead of having to buy the games multiple times.

Oct 25, 2017
None of them have stores on PC.

Sony has allowed cross-buy between PS4, PS3 and Vita, but made it publisher's responsibility to actually use it. COD Advanced Warfare cross-buy between PS3 and PS4 was helpful when moving over from last gen to current gen.

TimFL

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Would of still needed Sony Permission to do it
They only needed permission to use the Steamworks features in the PS3 copy of the game. Sony has no say whether a publisher ships a redemption code for another copy on another platform in a game case and I doubt they care... if at all, it helped boost PS3 copies sold cause people wanted 2 games for the price of one.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
If we're talking consoles only, I think Nintendo did this with one of the Mario vs Donkey Kong games on Wii U/3DS.

I'm sure there was at least one indie game that did this too.

glebanych

Dec 8, 2017
Kyiv, Ukraine
I can't recall the name, but there was some Lord of the Rings-themed MOBA on PS3/360 and you got a Steam code for free after launching the game. I think it was cross-progress too, by linking publisher (was it WB?) account.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Starting to love Microsoft a lot more now that I own a pc. It's so incredible going from platform to platform with the same copy

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Some games do it through Microsoft's UWP, like we did with Middle-earth: Shadow of War

There's been cross-buy between PS4 and PS-Vita, along with PC launchers like Steam to GOG. But overall it's quite rare sadly

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I can only see it possibly happening with Sony, should they ever open up a PC storefront. Even then it's still a big "if".

Otherwise I can't imagine anyone doing it. There's no benefit to them doing so.

May 1, 2018
Sony has had cross-buy for almost a decade now. You could buy a game for PS3 and get the Vita version free, for example (I did this with PS All-Stars and MLB The Show 12 personally) and this continued onto PS4 where you could get all 3 versions of a game by buying the PS4 version.

Poison Door

Dec 20, 2018
Occulus offers cross-buy on some titles in their store between the PC based Rift and the standalone Quest HMDs. But I think it's up to the developer (or publisher) in the end if they want to support it or not.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Sony had cross buy between PS3/Vita/PS4 in many titles.

I would be happy if pubs used more cross-progression, like Divinity OS 2.

But it makes no sense when the pub doesn't own all platforms.

Warukyure

Banned
Feb 23, 2019
Technically Kemco games on PSN are cross buy, works for both PS4 and VITA. So not first party only?

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Sony invent this concept with cross buy between PS3, Vita and then PS4? Had a shit ton of cross buy/save games around 2012-2014.

City 17

Oct 25, 2017
I mean Sony did last gen with portal, if you bought it on PS3 you got the steam version for free. It was cross play too!
Would of still needed Sony Permission to do it
Nah, it was all Valve.

If Sony had done it, all steam owners would've got a PS3 version as well, but they didn't, it was the opposite in fact, you got it on PS3, and Valve was generous to get you a free Steam license as well, in turn hoping that some of the said users be more inclined to buy into the platform.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Technically Kemco games on PSN are cross buy, works for both PS4 and VITA. So not first party only?

Don't see the point of people mentioning PS3 - PS4 - Vita and XB - XB360 - XB1 cross purchases. Those don't matter at all in any sense to the topic here.

When I can buy a game on Xbox and download and play it for free on PS5, then is when actual cross-purchase will happen.

OP
OP
Iron Eddie

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Didn't Sony invent this concept with cross buy between PS3, Vita and then PS4? Had a shit ton of cross buy/save games around 2012-2014.
I can't remember and it would be awesome if someone can help me out but didn't Shadowrun also do this on PC and Xbox ? Either way it would be awesome if we see more of this in the future.

Tupper

Jul 15, 2019
Don't see the point of people mentioning PS3 - PS4 - Vita and XB - XB360 - XB1 cross purchases. Those don't matter at all in any sense to the topic here.

When I can buy a game on Xbox and download and play it for free on PS5, then is when actual cross-purchase will happen.

This would be cool. It would be the video game equivalent of Movies Anywhere. Sadly, I don't see this ever being a thing.

Aug 9, 2018

It sort of does matter because XBOX-PC cross purchases are actually similar to those in the sense that Microsoft also kind of owns the PC platform via Windows.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018

It is around this same time that cows will be jumping over the moon.

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
If you buy the Genesis classics games on steam they come with the rom so you could ostensibly put it on a flash cart and play them on real hardware. I believe the Neo Geo game so on the humble store are the same.

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
I remember when Portal 2 was crossbuy on PS3 and Steam. I was so hoping it would be a thing! I wonder if it was an experiment to see how it was received and used.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
Sony has had cross-buy for almost a decade now. You could buy a game for PS3 and get the Vita version free, for example (I did this with PS All-Stars and MLB The Show 12 personally) and this continued onto PS4 where you could get all 3 versions of a game by buying the PS4 version.
I got a vita last year and some of my games purchased for it are cross platform with PS3, which in turn now makes me want to jump back and get a PS3 again to play some of them there.