• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you want open spoilers for new chapters in this thread?

• No. Always use spoiler tags for significant revelations.

Votes: 33 35.5%
  • Open spoilers only after a new volume has released.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Open spoilers only after a new chapter is officially available.

Votes: 15 16.1%
  • Open spoilers one week after the chapter is officially available.

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • Open spoilers whenever a new chapter is available in any capacity.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • Open spoilers one week after the chapter is available in any capacity.

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Thor: The Dark World

Votes: 11 11.8%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
alright ill hold out from watching the movies and give the manga a shot. another question before i start

is there at least some humor in the manga? looks completely dark
Berserk is dark as fuck, but there is some levity in spots. Though don't be looking for it too much in volume 13...fuck that shit is heavy and exhausting.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Roughly when can we hope to see Dark Horse's Vol. 39 released? (I don't read chapter by chapter) Thanks!

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i think the darkest manga i read was claymore and some teen wolf boy manga that had way too many rape scenes but great art

Berserk is about as hardcore as you can get without getting into straight Guro style manga. Its absolutely brutal but can be incredibly beautiful. Excellent stuff but by no means for those who can't stand the worst of humanity and beyond.

Oct 25, 2017
Berserk is about as hardcore as you can get without getting into straight Guro style manga. Its absolutely brutal but can be incredibly beautiful. Excellent stuff but by no means for those who can't stand the worst of humanity and beyond.
Panels upon panels upon panels of mangled corpses...hey looks this blokes eye flew out. The artwork is great though.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
I would say Berserk just has gruesome moments but isn't consistently dark and messed up and brutal. I find it a pretty light read most of the time.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I would say Lost Children is the one arc where things just never let up and just keep spiraling downward.

Still probably my favorite chapter on reflection. It's definitely understandable why Miura didn't keep going in that direction (and the entire Conviction Arc is probably the darkest the series ever gets), but I do wish we'd got more standalone chapters of Guts as The Black Swordsman wandering around and doing fucked-up shit.

Run Goku

Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping this thread would return! I recently grabbed this letter opener from eBay:

20171026_214535asz5c.jpg

Also glad to hear the Grunbeld novel is getting translated. Even if it's not amazing, I'll want to read it.

No mention of the current anime in OP lol. Yeah it's a disgrace but seeing more Berserk in motion is better then nothing imo. It still has some cool scenes.

I just watched season one and thought it was alright.

is there at least some humor in the manga?

screenshot_2016-11-108us1p.png

Anything involving this little bastard is great.

Fake edit: talking about Puck, just in case that isn't clear

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even in-story, Wyald is just a rehash of the mercenaries from the previous chapter sent after the Band to emphasize how low the King of Midland has sunk... And he gets wrecked by Zodd a minute later to reaffirm what a badass Zodd is. And everything about Wyald's design just screams, "Bargain-bin Zodd."

Wyald is a reminder of the creatures who habit that land, an extremely ruthless strong opponent of Guts and the entire band (putting the entire rescue of Grffith at stake). I do love seeing Guts , whom we go through so much and know how strong he became, scared as shit but still fighting with everything he has experiencing near death.

He serves as a huge contrast when the Eclipse occurs because we saw how strong one apostle was. An entire army of them presents the hellish nature of the occultation and an inescapable death for the band.

Also , the fight is fun as fuck.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
Idk y but wylad is still the scariest motherfucker in berserk to me.

his face, his character, creeps me the fuck outta me. plus u kno, all the rape

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I heard its a pretty meh story that fills in some blanks but otherwise isn't all that well written or interesting.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Im watching the '97 anime for the fourth time (one of the few animes I truly love and recommend on a regular basis) and Ive looked into some of the major plot points that take place after the anime. But I have a question for those that are up to date on the manga, and I understand it's kind of folly to ask since obviously the only person who could give me the real answer is Mirua himself, but how much left of the plot seems reasonably left? Does the main plot feel close to ending anytime soon? Are side plots feeling wrapped up or close to it, barring any unforeseen new side characters?

OP
OP
Sir Guts

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Im watching the '97 anime for the fourth time (one of the few animes I truly love and recommend on a regular basis) and Ive looked into some of the major plot points that take place after the anime. But I have a question for those that are up to date on the manga, and I understand it's kind of folly to ask since obviously the only person who could give me the real answer is Mirua himself, but how much left of the plot seems reasonably left? Does the main plot feel close to ending anytime soon? Are side plots feeling wrapped up or close to it, barring any unforeseen new side characters?
The last chapter IMO indicates that we are very far from the ending. There are still a lot of questions unanswered and I don't want to mention about what exactly so I don't spoil something by mistake on anyone. But yeah, we got a long way to go as I feel this current arc is going to get deeeeeper AF

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
The last chapter IMO indicates that we are very far from the ending. There are still a lot of questions unanswered and I don't want to mention about what exactly so I don't spoil something by mistake on anyone. But yeah, we got a long way to go as I feel this current arc is going to get deeeeeper AF
Hoo boy.

The boat may be gone, but the ride never ends.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Best guess but about 70% complete going off some comments Miura has made.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure it will go on for a billion years but I think it would seem pretty normal if after this arc there was one final arc.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure it will go on for a billion years but I think it would seem pretty normal if after this arc there was one final arc.

Well Casca will hopefully be healed soon and after that huge and very long awaited milestone I think we begin ramping up for the end game which who knows how that plays out.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Well Casca will hopefully be healed soon and after that huge and very long awaited milestone I think we begin ramping up for the end game which who knows how that plays out.
Yeah, Casca going back to normal seems like the perfect to lead into a final arc where Berserkman attacks Birdtown.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Casca going back to normal seems like the perfect to lead into a final arc where Berserkman attacks Birdtown.

A lot of pieces are falling into place including Rickert now working with Silat and the Bakiraka which hopefully means Silat and crew are sporting all kinds of steam punk gadgets and weapons. Its a big assumption but I assume Guts will hook up with them somehow before shit goes down in Falconia.

That said we still don't know what the fuck the God Hand are up to aside from the merging of the layers let alone what Griffith plans to do.

OP
OP
Sir Guts

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Can't see end game happening after Casca heals. There's a lot of apostles, god hand and many more

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course and that won't finish quick

I don't think we're at the end game yet as pieces are still being set up and we need to see how things play out with Guts and Casca. Then we have to see what happens on Elfhelm and what exactly Guts and them do there. Do they leave immediately or stay for a while and deal with the effects of the time differences between the real world and Elfhelm.

When they do make their way back to Midland to deal with Griffith that's basically the end game unless Miura has some other crazy twist and grand arc he's hiding somewhere.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Made some gifs off the the Dark Tranquility "Wonders At Your Feet" Berserk Manga video from so long ago for that cool fight scene threads.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Source:

Oct 26, 2017
How was the second part to the new anime? I couldn't bring myself to watch it but am still curious because it's berserk :| Did the physical releases tidy any of it up?

OP
OP
Sir Guts

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
How was the second part to the new anime? I couldn't bring myself to watch it but am still curious because it's berserk :| Did the physical releases tidy any of it up?
I watched it while in pain of how shit it is. Watched it just because its Berserk, still shit though.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
I love Berserk, started reading the manga about two years ago.
I remember I got into Berserk because me and a co-worker would always talk about how amazing Bloodborne was, so he recommended I check out Berserk.
At the beginning I had a Berserk craze and was able to get through 30 volumes in less than a month, but I stopped for some reason and haven't read a volume in about a year. Right now I think I'm on Volume 34.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember I got into Berserk because me and a co-worker would always talk about how amazing Bloodborne was, so he recommended I check out Berserk.
At the beginning I had a Berserk craze and was able to get through 30 volumes in less than a month, but I stopped for some reason and haven't read a volume in about a year. Right now I think I'm on Volume 34.

You've got a few more volumes to go till you finally catch up but hopefully Miura returns sooner than later. All he said was "Winter"

OP
OP
Sir Guts

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah cause Miyazaki is a big Berserk fan! How could you even stop reading for a year?! Wasn't curious of whats going to happen? Well anyways, enjoy the ride and join us in the hiatus party.