• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
When did he say this? I'm sure it wasn't worse than the Clinton Campaign saying Obama's image in South Carolina was a fairy tale.
https://www.politico.com/story/2016/04/bernie-sanders-south-black-voters-222220
"I think that having so many Southern states go first kind of distorts reality," Sanders said during a taping of "The Nightly Show" on Comedy Central earlier this month, presumably referring to Clinton's dominant primary wins in South Carolina, Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Florida and North Carolina — some of which the Sanders campaign wrote off as Clinton territory from the start.

That comment echoed on the Brooklyn debate stage a few days later, when Sanders said "Secretary Clinton cleaned our clock in the Deep South. No question about it, we got murdered there. That is the most conservative part of this great country." Many Southern Democrats were also upset when a Sanders surrogate and introducer, actor Tim Robbins, said at one event that Clinton's victory in South Carolina — the fourth state to vote, and the first with a large African-American population — was "about as significant" as winning Guam.

Do you have any answer to this criticism other than whataboutism to a race that happened over a decade ago that nobody has brought up?

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think Bernie can run a competitive campaign. He wasn't attacked or challenged on any issues in the last primaries and still cried about how unfair everything was. He won't be able to handle getting constantly attacked from all sides this time around.

I think he can very much handle being attacked in my humble opinion. What you described is just a tactic, you don't win an election with logic and inner strength, especially with all the obfuscation going on. I think it isn't a wrong strategy to make attacks meaningless and unworthy to receive an answer. Because they're just that, meaningless attacks.

Broscientific

Oct 27, 2017
There are none aside from Warren and Sanders. Oh take a look at Barbera Lee too. The current generation of leftist Dems are young and proving themselves now. Theres a substantial gap between Bernie Sanders and the current generation, 30 years of milquetoast centrists are the reason the Democratic party is so shameless, spineless and stupid right now.

Keep an eye out for Ilhan Omar and Lee Carter.

I wish this were true but I mean just look at examples of how Ilhan was treated after her two recent slam dunk comments about AIPAC and then Elliot Abrams... it's all "believe black women, yas queen, it's so great to have POC in power" but just look what happens when she holds true to her beliefs. The same thing is going to hold true for AOC eventually and it's going to be so hilarious to see half these people turn on her when they realize what her actual policies are.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
"Hey guys, good morning! What are we discussing to......"

giphy.gif

"....day."

Haha this is best way to sum of my reaction after several pages.

I will say that I wish he wasn't running just because he is so old, but otherwise his policies are solid like always and this is going to be an interesting primary process.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. Bernie needs to go the fuck away. His ego is to big and he's learned nothing from the last time. He's just wasting everyone's time right now. He's not going to win the primary. Like last time he's most likely just going to attack everyone else and help Trump again. He provides no details. He's completely tone deaf. Anything he might be trying to push is already being pushed by those younger, more accomplished in getting laws passed, offering more details, and overall far more appealing in regard to what Dems actually want.

Will he release his tax returns this time?
I'm going to assume he won't.

Broscientific

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently you were in a coma during 2017-2018 midterms (where the "centrist establishment" had a wave election) and politics only started in 2010

Good fucking grief the loops people tie themselves in to create a narrative

The more you post the more it's obvious you have no idea what you're talking about

Congratulations, they had a wave election against a historically unpopular incumbent president in a situation where there are two choices. It's also very convenient for you to lump in the leftist candidates who were also elected at the same time.

And you also conviently leave out how centrists like Joe Donnelly and Claire McCaskill were absolutely decimated

Oct 31, 2017
https://www.politico.com/story/2016/04/bernie-sanders-south-black-voters-222220

Do you have any answer to this criticism other than whataboutism to a race that happened over a decade ago that nobody has brought up?

I'm bringing it up since you seem to have no problem with Hillary doing the same.

Nowhere did he say African Americans don't count. He's saying it's the most conservative part of the country and doesn't reflect much of the Democratic base. He's minimizing what he lost the same way Hillary minimized Obama's caucus wins as a bunch of places that have "activists" and don't reflect the nation.

Deleted member 16983

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Using a sample size of your four mates in your office and extrapolating that into "there's no reason for me to believe otherwise" is as flawed as you can get.

Actual data that represents the country is what matters. I asked earlier for someone to show me polling or data to backup claims around Sanders causing a swing to Trump and I'm still waiting.
I am NOT using my four mates as the measure. I'm using them as an example. My take on the 2016 train wreck comes from the news coverage from Dec 2016 and Jan 2017. I've seen limited exit polling, but what I did see also supports my position.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bernie will have a big problem in that last time he was the only real "not Hillary" candidate, but now there are like 15 "not Kamala/Biden" candidates.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
The vicious hostility towards Bernie Sanders here on Era is something else.

I wish him the best of luck. Though, the US is probably fucked in the near-future even if he wins and were to try his best.

Oct 31, 2017
I am NOT using my four mates as the measure. I'm using them as an example. My take on the 2016 train wreck comes from the news coverage from Dec 2016 and Jan 2017. I've seen limited exit polling, but what I did see also supports my position.

I just showed you that it's not true. All numbers show a smaller chunk of Sanders supporters switching compared to Hillary supporters in 08.

That's not to mention the Republicans who jumped ship to Hillary.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Congratulations, they had a wave election against a historically unpopular incumbent president in a situation where there are two choices. It's also very convenient for you to lump in the leftist candidates who were also elected at the same time.

All, what, five of them?

You really think that 2010 was backlash because Democrats were too moderate?

After ramming through the ACA, the first major overhaul of the healthcare system in decades?

Right.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if this is a joke or not and that scares me
I've seen receipts.
Comrade Bernovich Sanderskowsky (his real name) is a russian agent which sole purpose is to destabilize USA and bring glory to the mother Russia.

Of course I am fucking around.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ha! Critical election is in the balance LOL.
Democrats voting with their hearts instead of their minds and falling into disarray because of it is a cycle that won't seemingly be broken this year.

The good news is we don't have a shitty candidate on the left lined up for a coronation this year, so it's actually a competative playing field from the get go. If Bernie is gonna bern out, he'll do it on his own.
Why won't he release his tax returns?
Do you always yell at passerby like this? This is trump in the lawn material.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
His 2016 campaign was a sexist horror show (pay discrimination, ignoring sexual harassment). No decent person should support him.
Wow, serious hyperbole.
I think he is the one responsible of turning the democrats more to the left. A sexist horror show, wow. Tell me what candidate you would support of all those announced?

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I'm bringing it up since you seem to have no problem with Hillary doing the same.

Nowhere did he say African Americans don't count. He's saying it's the most conservative part of the country and doesn't reflect much of the Democratic base. He's minimizing what he lost the same way Hillary minimized Obama's caucus wins as a bunch of places that have "activists" and don't reflect the nation.
I never even brought up Hillary (in this instance). Stop with the whataboutism

African American groups noted just how stupidly racist what he said was and wrote him letters. The primaries in the south are predominately black dominated. Bernie's first instinct when losing these states is to say the voters there are just too conservative for him and paint a disproportional picture of how popular Hillary is. As if those voters are less important than other voters. Even though Bernie won multiple very conservative, very white states and had no issue with those voters.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And look where it got them- the ACA is a failure at its main goal and it pushed off actual reform for another 10 years

Don't shift the conversation, your assertion that the 2010 midterms was backlash against "moderate establishment" has zero basis in fact and is some of the most insane historical revisionism to ever grace this site.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is vicious to you?

Also to me like I wrote previously:

If this thread is an example of how 2019 will be, I have no intention taking part in US politics threads.

I come from a country where talking like people are doing in this thread about candidates are not acceptable.

Saying "I don't like him because......" is something I have no problem with, but the "Fuck you Bernie" and "Go away old man" is not something I like.

This might just be how US politics have always been, and if so, Im glad I don't live in the US cause I can't take that kind of speech, honestly. It makes me sad and depressed.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
Was the loan scam with that college him and his wife ran ever followed up on? I'm waiting for that to come bursting out of the doors this time around. Sanders was treated too nicely last time; hope the other candidates come out swinging for him first considering the damage he can cause. Anyone in politics would be foolish to endorse his nonsense and let him get any further than this announcement.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Out of the candidates, Warren is the one that competes in Bernie's lane, + Liz is a Democrat

Hillary was labelled as the "establiment"

Bernie can't do that with Warren

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As always, Bernie is a compromise candidate for me. He still has some issues and makes some mistakes like this:

We need to get rid of that filibuster dude if we're going to get M4A.

That said, he's still the furthest left out of everyone in the bench and I'll support him.

Oct 31, 2017
I never even brought up Hillary (in this instance). Stop with the whataboutism

African American groups noted just how stupidly racist what he said was and wrote him letters. The primaries in the south are predominately black dominated. Bernie's first instinct when losing these states is to say the voters there are just too conservative for him and paint a disproportional picture of how popular Hillary is. As if those voters are less important than other voters. Even though Bernie won multiple very conservative, very white states and had no issue with those voters.

When your position involves how horrible Sanders is, and he ran against Hillary, then yes, it'll be brought up. This is what happens in primaries.

Southern voters are, in the aggregate, more conservative. He's trying to minimize what he couldn't win, the same as how Hillary did it in 08. You either don't remember 08 or were in a coma. None of this is weird for a candidate to do; the entire point is to maximize what you have and minimize what you don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.