• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of you sounds like straight haters.

Let's see how this plays out. Trump changing the tax code to make his friends richer pissed me off.

Deleted member 50969

Banned
Dec 17, 2018
Stuff like this won't help the country and people who are that rich will probably flee. Plus, it will create a cycle of people earning their money then doing the dash from America.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
The rich should be proud to pay huge taxes and brag about things like this. They should lean into it and work with it.
And they should be ashamed the GOP are trying to further enable the worst of the rich assholes to hoard the nations wealth. They should be fighting against this shit and those assholes if they really want to help.

Whatever increase in estate tax makes it way through, that money would be pretty useful in large scale transitioning to green energy, new jobs and ending homelessness in the future.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
The rich should be proud to pay huge taxes and brag about things like this. They should lean into it and work with it.
And they should be ashamed the GOP are trying to further enable the worst of the rich assholes to hoard the nations wealth. They should be fighting against this shit and those assholes if they really want to help.

Whatever increase in estate tax makes it way through, that money would be pretty useful in large scale transitioning to green energy, new jobs and ending homelessness in the future.

That's the thing though, a lot of them don't want to help (sure, there's guys like Gates and Buffett). The vast majority of them want to keep everything for themselves and have rigged the system to do so.

That's why you hear guys like Michael Dell talk about charities and things like that. It's not about actually helping, it's about appearing that they are will still protecting their assets.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
I understand the rationale, but won't most billionaires just leave the US for a country without an estate tax once retired?

Well, at least across Western nations there could be enough collaboration to achieve that. Tight tax law to avoid loopholes are also necessary.

But the main argument I personally heard from millionaires and corporations against higher taxes is an economic one.
They claim, and I guess they also sincerely believe that, that they are better able to handle these significant amounts of money than the government.
Their thought process is pretty ROI(return on investment) based. They have a pretty good grasp on the usually ROI rates they can expect from their money and they assume its much high than whatever the government would do with it.
But thats a fundamentally flawed way of thinking about it. Because the main reason for higher taxation is the goal of a better welfare state.
The welfare state is basically an investment into the health, education and social safety of the population and even though the ROI here is practically impossible to determine, often delayed over decades and distributed in confuse ways, it is safe to say that it more than favorably compares to whatever ROI can be expected from traditional investments.
Its a way to better realize the full potential of a society.

Oct 27, 2017
Tax the fuck out of them.
They stole our money. We just need to make laws to take it back.
That's what social democracy is good at: layering in competitive capitalistic ways of doing business, but smoothing out the unequal distribution of compensation after the fact to make it more equitable...more in line with the way it should have originally been distributed, but without sacrificing the things that capitalism is good at.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I figure like 30% of this primary season will be Democrats climbing over each other to attack the mega rich and I just can't wait.
tenor.gif

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The law would dramatically affect how much taxes the wealthiest Americans pay when they die. Under current law, Jeffrey P. Bezos's heirs would pay $52 billion in estate tax upon his death, while Bill Gates's heirs would pay $38 billion, according to estimates by Sanders's staff, based on Forbes's wealth data. The GOP proposal would take both of their payments down to $0, while Sanders's would raise them to $101 billion and $74 billion, respectively, according to the estimates by Sanders's staff.

Could someone familiar with how taxes in the US are paid elucidate for me the practicalities of this? How a $101B figure would be collected? It's not like Bezos' wealth is all liquid and a portion of this can just be transferred to the IRS' accounts. Are heirs required under the law to liquidate the non-liquid assets and pay out, or to transfer the shares to the IRS?

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
I have no problem with taxing the super wealthy at a higher rate but what I'd really like to see is a balanced budget in government along with a dramatic reduction in wasteful spending. All levels of government seem to only know how to tax more and spend more. It's sickening.

Oct 25, 2017
They'll say "but then they'll leave the US"

To which I say, good. They're clearly not spending their money here anyway.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I have no problem with taxing the super wealthy at a higher rate but what I'd really like to see is a balanced budget in government along with a dramatic reduction in wasteful spending. All levels of government seem to only know how to tax more and spend more. It's sickening.
No one wants wasteful spending, the conflict is about what is (and isn't) "wasteful".

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA

I support eliminating wasteful spending in theory, however whenever I ask for specific examples I usually don't get a response. What government programs and/or services do you consider to be wasteful?

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Eh. We need serious budget reform at both the State and Federal level in the U.S. AFTER that is accomplished, then we can evaluate and determine if a lack of tax dollars is holding us back and, if it is, how much we actually NEED.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol it's a big "fuck you" to the GOP right after they talked about eliminating the estate tax.

Why I want him in 2020.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's no reason for people to inherit billions or even millions of dollars outside perhaps for family businesses/farms, and even that's up for debate.

Could someone familiar with how taxes in the US are paid elucidate for me the practicalities of this? How a $101B figure would be collected? It's not like Bezos' wealth is all liquid and a portion of this can just be transferred to the IRS' accounts. Are heirs required under the law to liquidate the non-liquid assets and pay out, or to transfer the shares to the IRS?

Liquidate

Last edited:

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someone should create an animated chart that explains visually to people what high marginal tax rates actually do to individual wealth - an embarrassing number of Americans and their elected officials seem to think it is some sort of cap on earnings - have the (growing) billionaire column represented by superyachts or Lamborghini Aventadors so they can better grasp the scale like you would trying to think about our sun vs Canis Majoris.

This isn't even a visually hyperbolic example. The sun maybe too big comparing a single mom to Jeff Bezos. earth or Jupiter might be better comparisons - and you can fit a thousand Jupiters or a million plus earths.

vL2Vq7g.jpg

Last edited:

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is that really true though. I always hear these stories whenever one proposes to tax the super wealthy more.

Restrict the liberty of the capital account so the transfer of assets and cash (certain size and amount) is strongly limited. China does quite well in this regard.

But mah FREEDOM!

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bernie's pretty good for moving the Overton Window but he's a garbage career politician with a truly heinous, tone-deaf relationship to social issues. He'd be a rotten president but I'm glad for his contribution in moving some of the conversations leftward.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Clearly better off with Trump

No one is suggesting that.

But really, all he's doing is posturing. This will never make it past the Senate (probably not even the House), so it's bullshit and he knows it. That's my main issue with Sanders, he can't deliver on anything that he's selling and he doesn't even try to explain how he would get most of this done.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
Eh. We need serious budget reform at both the State and Federal level in the U.S. AFTER that is accomplished, then we can evaluate and determine if a lack of tax dollars is holding us back and, if it is, how much we actually NEED.
Ah, the old "all government spending is waste" canard. People my grandpa's age really like that one. Thankfully, demographics are trending away from them.

anthro

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not normally so drawn to the circus of trolling blue checkmarks on twitter and the rich, but given the increasingly manic rush to declare higher and higher taxes on the toenail clippings of the wealthy and Howard Schultz's response of running as a mildewy bath towel I'm pretty excited to see more pictures of wild eyed businessmen nervously saying "hehe... but thats crazy... we can't... I mean what are you proposing that we live in Venezuela?"

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
Bernie's pretty good for moving the Overton Window but he's a garbage career politician with a truly heinous, tone-deaf relationship to social issues.
Can we just do a quick exercise here? Only using his official platform as your source, can you point out the positions he has that are "truly heinous?" https://berniesanders.com/issues/

Or is it not actually about anything he believes, espouses, proposes, or has voted for in his career as a Senator and Representative/signed into law as Mayor of Burlington?

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
I support eliminating wasteful spending in theory, however whenever I ask for specific examples I usually don't get a response. What government programs and/or services do you consider to be wasteful?
How about the government spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to see how cocaine effected the sexual behaviors of birds? Or the pentagon spending tens of millions of dollars to license camouflage uniforms from Afghanistan when the could have used something they already had.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Stuff like this won't help the country and people who are that rich will probably flee. Plus, it will create a cycle of people earning their money then doing the dash from America.

If they're still citizens, then you can go after their assets anyway even if they leave, and if they want to renounce their citizenship, charge them an exit tax.

Fuck generational wealth. Not the biggest fan of Bernie but he's 100% in the right here.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bernie's pretty good for moving the Overton Window but he's a garbage career politician with a truly heinous, tone-deaf relationship to social issues. He'd be a rotten president but I'm glad for his contribution in moving some of the conversations leftward.
I hate that you hate him and I of course disagree (aside that he could be much better with social issues such as racism), but I'm glad you at least see what he's doing.

Deleted member 14459

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For those saying the billionaires would just leave and set up shop elsewhere are underestimating the political cost of doing so as it would undermine their influence in many ways, some that would hurt the bottom line - especially if we gradually move towards societal acceptance of taxing the 1%. And where would they go? Norway? Not many have the stamina to live in Switzerland for 12 years to get citizenship..

Generational wealth / the rentier class is incredibly damaging and one of the prime drivers of rising income equalities

Last edited:

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
You're pushing me further left and I think the estate tax should be over 100% now.

When a rich guy does, his failsons will have to work off the 2000% estate tax debt.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Why would anyone want to be governed by a 77 years-old guy? I think politics should have a limit of 40 years old for candidates. Why? You want people who are in touch with the current generations, not a dinosaur. This is why I like seeing presidents like Macron despite the awful decisions they make...at least it's not someone who could die of a heart attack tomorrow.

OP
OP

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why would anyone want to be governed by a 77 years-old guy? I think politics should have a limit of 40 years old for candidates. Why? You want people who are in touch with the current generations, not a dinosaur. This is why I like seeing presidents like Macron despite the awful decisions they make...at least it's not someone who could die of a heart attack tomorrow.
You'd rather have someone who makes horrible decisions because they are young over an old fart who makes good decisions?

Nov 2, 2017
I understand the rationale, but won't most billionaires just leave the US for a country without an estate tax once retired?

The taxes apply so long as you're a US citizen. If you just move out of country, that doesn't do anything unless you also renounce your US citizenship. If you do, the estate tax still applies if the assets being bequeathed are US-based assets. Plus, renouncing your citizenship incurs an exit tax, which taxes all your assets (which you were presumably trying to avoid being taxed by renouncing your citizenship).

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
How about the government spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to see how cocaine effected the sexual behaviors of birds? Or the pentagon spending tens of millions of dollars to license camouflage uniforms from Afghanistan when the could have used something they already had.
The bird story is a myth. Birds were used in a study as lab animals - i.e. as a proxy to study the behavior of how humans and all other animals react to long-term cocaine use, and it wasn't just sexual behavior, and it is not an ongoing program, and it was under $200k. If not studying the effects of drugs sounds good to you, then you're fucking up.

Status
Not open for further replies.