• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forearm_Star

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of debate happening here.
I should probably read the OP and watch all the content before posting.

brb

MalcomFleX

Alt account
Banned
Sep 9, 2019
So if you did get shot, the implication is you didn't show enough respect? AOC, come get your boy.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"But I would also be very mindful of the fact that as a nation we have got to hold police officers accountable for the actions that they commit. So to answer your question I would be very cautious, defend and know my rights, and make sure if possible that police officer's camera is on."

May want to throw the rest of the quote in the OP.

Conveniently left out. Nice.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I don't really understand what's so wrong with the statement? He's not blaiming anyone, it more sounds like he's saying cops are dangerous so don't risk anything around them?
Nothing. His answer was the best answer he could give. Follow police direction, know your rights and that the police need to be held accountable. The tweet, and the OP left out his entire answer because lets be honest, these kinda people have an agenda against the dude.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Bernie: The police are death merchants who will execute you for perceived slights.

Big Brains: wow bernard nice victim blaming

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"I don't know why African Americans have a problem with Bernie, don't they know he's the only one who is good for them!?"

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
How is this bad advice? I took it to mean do what they tell you because if you dont, theyre going to shoot you no matter if you're right or wrong.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I could be wrong, but him saying so you don't get shot ...in the back of the head. ...tells me he's aware how fucked up things are with police.

Oct 26, 2017
So if you did get shot, the implication is you didn't show enough respect? AOC, come get your boy.
That is not even remotely what he's saying. His point is that, if you're black, all you can really do is your best to not make the encounter potentially aggressive as, unfortunately, cops are racist as fuck and to keep note of who the officer is so that, if necessary, you can report him or her

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bernie: The police are death merchants who will execute you for perceived slights.

Big Brains: wow bernard nice victim blaming
Bernie: respect what the police are doing, but also we should keep officers accountable for the actions they commit
Resetera intellectuals: wow can't believe Bernie wants cops to kill black people

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
The premise of the question is shaky to begin with. It isn't about what the individual should do in such a situation, and I think Bernie was correct in shifting away from that.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
Y'all how are you taking this as an endorsement of the cop/victim blaming

"son, you are dealing with a dangerous armed person, here's what you do to NOT DIE and be able to hold them accountable"

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
Yall need to come up with an alternative answer if you're gonna give Bernie shit for effectively saying, "Do whatever needs to happen to keep yourself alive."

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
respect
verb [with object]
• avoid harming or interfering with: it is incumbent upon all hill users to respect the environment.
• agree to recognize and abide by (a legal requirement): the crown and its ministers ought to respect the ordinary law.

I'm familiar with the definition. Understanding the police does not mean you need to respect it, on the contrary. Understand the way it works and the way it wields power, and use that knowledge for both your advantage and your safety. Respect doesn't come into it.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The whole answer is from a place of privilege and lack of understanding. Black folks know their rights the problem is those rights are conditional on the police respecting them. That is why soverign citizen shit works for white people, and black people get their lip busted in for holding a puppy

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Era's hate-boner for Bernie really weirds me out honestly.
Yep.

Cops suck. Cops have too much unchecked power and damn near no accountability. It sucks but don't risk your life. Take the officer's name and information politely so that if justice for POC is ever a realistic thing you can report said officer.

People spinning this like he's saying to sit down and shut up and respect the authorities.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You're reaching for something that isn't there, OP. Talk about cherry picking a quote to make it sound tone-deaf and insensitive. The Bernie hate is extremely irrational. What is he saying exactly? He's saying that police should always be held accountable, but if you get pulled over, especially as a black man, you should try to remain calm, because the police have a history of murdering innocent black people that show acts of ""resisting arrest"" or whatever you want to call it. And basically what Bernie is saying, no, what he literally is saying, is that if you don't want to get shot in the back of the head, you should try to remain calm, try to identify the cop, and try to de-escalate as much as possible, give cops zero reasons to invoke ""self-defence"".

Are black people given any other advices when they have these talks? No, of course not. No parent tells their child to make a scene, resist arrest, or give the cops some bullshit excuse to execute an innocent person.

OP
OP
xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
I certainly wouldn't use the word respect in that context

respect
verb [with object]
• avoid harming or interfering with: it is incumbent upon all hill users to respect the environment.
• agree to recognize and abide by (a legal requirement): the crown and its ministers ought to respect the ordinary law.

How would "RESPECT drunk men when you're walking down the street so that you don't get raped" sound? Good use of the word, in your opinion?

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
The whole answer is from a place of privilege and lack of understanding. Black folks know their rights the problem is those rights are conditional on the police respecting them. That is why soverign citizen shit works for white people, and black people get their lip busted in for holding a puppy

that's literally why he's saying don't go sovereign citizen on the cop

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Era has such difficulty with 'victim blaming' vs. 'the reality of a situation is fucked up so you owe it to yourself to migitate any risks even though in a perfect world it shouldn't be your responsibility to do so' it blows my mind.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Inflammatory Accusations
Do we know yet why Bernie Sanders didn't attend Elijah Cummings' funeral? We know from the ERA thread that Obama, Pelosi, Hillary Clinton, Warren (another senator from New England who is in the primary), AOC, etc. were in attendance along with many others... plus even Mitch McConnell, and I doubt Elijah and Mitch saw eye to eye on many issues...
Since you're into implication and all...

Why do you dislike the old Jewish man running for President so much.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is this a bad answer? He said to give police respect or they'll kill you and acknowledges that the reality of that is extremely fucked and that we have to do something about it.

Y'all are reaching on this one.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
Era has such difficulty with 'victim blaming' vs. 'the reality of a situation is fucked up so you owe it to yourself to migitate any risks even though in a perfect world it shouldn't be your responsibility to do so' it blows my mind.
it's almost like some people are deliberately trying to use as little nuance as possible to... for some reason score political brownie points on a video game message board

OP
OP
xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
Would you say you're "conserned"?
You mean "concerned"?
Call me crazy but maybe the Dem nominee shouldn't have such serious health issues that they can't attend a funeral (Jimmy Carter was at Bush's) given how much harder it would be on the ticker to campaign vigorously nationwide for the next 12 months, or if that's not the issue and "Bernie is back", have problems with prominent African American Dem politicians to the extent that you're not invited to their funeral (not sure "but he once got arrested at a civil rights protest" makes up for that) when even Mitch McConnell is there...

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
OP right now
images

the funny thing is I was going to make up a caption to go with the picture before I found this one

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
He's saying the same thing that I know my uncle told his kids. Treat the police like a wild dog. No sudden movements, stay alert, and hope to god they dont decide to attack.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Comments like this are why it's impossible for me to go all in on Bernie, and why I'm a little salty AOC endorsed him.

All aboard the Warren train, everybody. It's time.
There is literally no sane reason to back Bernie over Warren.

I get why in 2016.

But now? Warren has better and more progressives policies on *everything* than Bernie.

The only thing he has now is he is a white dude. Warren crushes him on every policy.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really threaded that needle between offending the snowflake "all lives matter " set and the black kids exhausted by getting shot while doing anything.

OP
OP
xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
Status
Not open for further replies.