• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
Era's hate-boner for Bernie really weirds me out honestly.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
wait why's this bad

that's advice both my parents gave me, and the question was phrased as "If I were your son"

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I mean, that's what black families tell their black children.

"Yes sir/ma'am."
"No sir/ma'am."
"Thank you for the ticket, sir/ma'am, and I'm sorry."

Hands always in full view. Don't get angry. Don't talk back.

Because we don't want our kids to get shot in the back of the fucking head with crack sprinkled on their shirts for dramatic effect.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
He's pointing out that encounters with police as a black person is potentially fatal.

So even if it sucks you have to placate the cops by treating them with 'respect' so you can survive.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
A Bernie thread where a quote is taken out of context? Say it ain't so.

Tan

Oct 27, 2017
Why would he be cancelled over pointing out that cops are fucking liable to actually do that shit if you don't bend over backwards as a black man?

He's not telling you to respect cops, he's saying that they're thugs.

Yeah this is how I took it as well. Especially considering the context.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Legitimately question for those shitting on him, what would your response to this question be? And I'd recommend actually watching his full response so that you don't end up repeating what he said.
I get what he's trying to say but naw lol pure execution. The second half is a way better answer.
almost like the two halves of the statement go together

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bernie is probably the wrong person to hear it from but I know folks that have pretty much been told the exact same thing by their parents. He's calling out how fucked up the police system is, not going "Respect the law or die!"

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
If only it were that simple.

Seriously, where has he been for the last 100 years.

So how should he have answered that question?

It was an honest survivalist answer. It's similar to shit I say to my younger cousins. They have the gun and power, you don't. Deal with the current situation, and survive for that moment. And if you want to do something about it after, take the steps.

YALL GO AHEAD AND PRETEND WE LIVE IN A FUCKING COUNTRY WHERE THINGS ARE HOW YOU FEEL THEY SHOULD BE, AND NOT HOW IT REALLY IS.

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The message isn't wrong but he couldn't have phrased it any worse, which is sadly common for his positions when it comes to racial justice

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
"But I would also be very mindful of the fact that as a nation we have got to hold police officers accountable for the actions that they commit. So to answer your question I would be very cautious, defend and know my rights, and make sure if possible that police officer's camera is on."

May want to throw the rest of the quote in the OP.

Nice, another thread taking a quote out of context.

Oh look, a sound bite that Era is going to take out of context and run with to suit their agenda against Bernie.

Americans truly deserve the America they have today.

Wow. OP needs to be given a warning for that.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
"But I would also be very mindful of the fact that as a nation we have got to hold police officers accountable for the actions that they commit. So to answer your question I would be very cautious, defend and know my rights, and make sure if possible that police officer's camera is on."

May want to throw the rest of the quote in the OP.
Thank you for the rest of the OP.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pretty sure Bernie is saying follow their commands so you don't get murdered by a cop. He follows up with how police in America need to be held accountable. Not the way I would have worded it, but his thoughts were in the right place

OP
OP
xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
He only got 25% of black voters in 2016 for a reason.
Do we know yet why Bernie Sanders didn't attend Elijah Cummings' funeral? We know from the ERA thread that Obama, Pelosi, Hillary Clinton, Warren (another senator from New England who is in the primary), AOC, etc. were in attendance along with many others... plus even Mitch McConnell, and I doubt Elijah and Mitch saw eye to eye on many issues...

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
What did he say that was wrong here besides it not coming out of Elizabeth Warren's mouth?

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Pretty sure Bernie is saying follow their commands so you don't get murdered by a cop. He follows up with how police in America need to be held accountable. Not the way I would have worded it, but his thoughts were in the right place
Yes, that's exactly what he was saying.

What did he say that was wrong here
nothing. Cops can be full-on unpredictable wild cards. Do your best not to give one the reason or opportunity to think it's a good day to murder you.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, that's what black families tell their black children.

"Yes sir/ma'am."
"No sir/ma'am."
"Thank you for the ticket, sir/ma'am, and I'm sorry."

Hands always in full view. Don't get angry. Don't talk back.

Because we don't want our kids to get shot in the back of the fucking head with crack sprinkled on their shirts for dramatic effect.
Pretty much

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
One of those things that's mostly true but that you don't really want to hear from an old white guy. Same thing about advice on avoiding sexual assault for women - yes, there is common sense advice. No, it's not something men should be dishing out.

But if you're asked the question you gotta give an answer, so...

Pelican

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like some people didn't watch the same video I did. Oh, they didn't watch the video, they just read the headline.

Ira

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really understand what's so wrong with the statement? He's not blaiming anyone, it more sounds like he's saying cops are dangerous so don't risk anything around them?

TangFei

Banned
Aug 18, 2019
Resetera political thread titles are always biased and filled with mischaracterizations so this not being accurate doesn't surprise me.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What advice would you give to your black son about dealing with the police?

I certainly wouldn't use the word respect in that context, but it would be something along the lines of what he says here. Know your rights, try to keep calm and get all the info you can. Always try to protect yourself, treat this encounter as a possible life or death scenario because it can be just that.

That being said, i'm not a father nor a black person, so my input here is limited by my experience.

As a side note, my first reply was to a biased OP that only had half of Bernie's reply. I should have watched the whole video, and the thread creator should have posted a more honest OP.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
What else is a black person supposed to do when pulled over? It's poorly worded, but isn't be calm and respectful and hope for the best about all you can do?
Title out of context? In the video it seems like he's trying to say that you need to be cautious around the police so you dont get shot in the back of the head. Not so much that you need to bow to the police.

I mean respect in context is dont start screaming and cussing an officer out. Even if you dont respect the title, respect the fact that you have a person with a loaded gun who has the authority to shoot you in the back of the head, and that that needs to change. My take at least.
That's how I heard it. Sounds more like advising treating cops as if they're deadly wild animals rather than victim blaming or another pro-cop statement.

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know yet why Bernie Sanders didn't attend Elijah Cummings' funeral? We know from the ERA thread that Obama, Pelosi, Hillary Clinton, Warren (another senator from New England who is in the primary), AOC, etc. were in attendance along with many others... plus even Mitch McConnell, and I doubt Elijah and Mitch saw eye to eye on many issues...

Maybe you should post that tweet in here too. Seemed to do well over in that thread.

Also should've chosen a tweet without the full video. Would've made your thread more successful in its disingenuousness.

Deleted member 26156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Could someone explain to me what's so bad about what he said? I listened to the full thing, and it sounded like a perfectly reasonable response. Be as careful as possible, then report them in post to make sure they're held accountable for their wrongdoing. What else is a citizen supposed to do in the moment?

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Probably cleaning his klan robes
CHILL lol

Could someone explain to me what's so bad about what he said?
It can be interpreted by some as blaming the victims.

IE. "don't wear that mini-skirt so nobody will think about raping you."

Further it can be looked at as an old white guy telling black kids to OBEY... which tends to not rub the right way. This makes the choice of words important.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
User Banned (3 days): community generalizations
Holy nothingburger, batman.

Era just gonna ignore the second half of the video, not to mention the words coming out of his mouth, "so that you don't get shot in the back of the head."

He's calling out the police, while at the same time trying to give some pragmatic advice: the police are fucked up, be cognizant of that, and do your best to stay alive.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
And this is precisely why he has 0% of winning the primary, let alone the general election.

He needs to drop out and endorse Warren.

Yes he wouldn't win the general election because of this... 0% chance.

As far as the Warren name drop...fitting with the ads we get.

Screenshot-20191026-171018-Chrome.jpg

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Resetera political thread titles are always biased and filled with mischaracterizations so this not being accurate doesn't surprise me.

I mean, when I read it, I thought the main impact of the statement came from Bernie's raw characterization of cops.

The thread title isn't "inaccurate"; people are just reading different things into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.