• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
User Banned (1 Month): Posting misleading information, history of similar behavior and numerous accumulated infractions
HBCU Student asks @BernieSanders, "If I were your son, what advice would you give to me the next time I'm pulled over by a police officer"?

Bernie: "Identify who the police officer is - and I would respect what they are doing so that you don't get shot in the back of the head."

Video:

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Comments like this are why it's impossible for me to go all in on Bernie, and why I'm a little salty AOC endorsed him.

All aboard the Warren train, everybody. It's time.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
And this is precisely why he has 0% of winning the primary, let alone the general election.

He needs to drop out and endorse Warren.

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Prayer prob has an equivalent success rate.

But on the other hand it's not like if you're black and want to avoid your extrajudicial murder that any practical advice actually exists...

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
Bernie really needs to improve his messaging with black voters because....yikes.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
seems a bit out of context but i get what he's saying. some people are gonna have a field day with it tho.

Last edited:

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why would he be cancelled over pointing out that cops are fucking liable to actually do that shit if you don't bend over backwards as a black man?

He's not telling you to respect cops, he's saying that they're thugs.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Edit: after watching the whole answer i have no major problem with what he says, apart from using the word respect. I would rather he used the word understand in that context.

Last edited:

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
"But I would also be very mindful of the fact that as a nation we have got to hold police officers accountable for the actions that they commit. So to answer your question I would be very cautious, defend and know my rights, and make sure if possible that police officer's camera is on."

May want to throw the rest of the quote in the OP.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"But I would also be very mindful of the fact that as a nation we have got to hold police officers accountable for the actions that they commit. So to answer your question I would be very cautious, defend and know my rights, and make sure if possible that police officer's camera is on."

May want to throw the rest of the quote in the OP.
Yeah, watching the entire video, I don't think he's victim blaming. It's still not how he should have answered that though.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
Oh look, a sound bite that Era is going to take out of context and run with to suit their agenda against Bernie.

Americans truly deserve the America they have today.

Apr 21, 2018
Sounds like he is almost joking and making a jest that's underlying statement is that the police are dangerous, make mistakes, and it's an issue that needs addressing.

I didn't interpret it as a serious answer whatsoever, although it may have been a little tasteless.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

But the question was not "What should I do to avoid being killed by a cop," it was "What should I do if I get pulled over," which are similar but not the same. And just about every civil rights advocacy group says the same thing, which is to respond respectfully, (optionally) verbalize if you believe your rights are being violated, stay out of their way, get their badge number if possible, and then immediately contact a civil rights group when you can.

What advice would anyone else give? Providing advice for how best to safely navigate a broken system is not the same thing as endorsing the broken system.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
HBCU Student asks @BernieSanders, "If I were your son, what advice would you give to me the next time I'm pulled over by a police officer"?

Bernie: "Identify who the police officer is - and I would respect what they are doing so that you don't get shot in the back of the head."

Video:

Why didn't you Mention the other part of video in the op?

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Title out of context? In the video it seems like he's trying to say that you need to be cautious around the police so you dont get shot in the back of the head. Not so much that you need to bow to the police.

I mean respect in context is dont start screaming and cussing an officer out. Even if you dont respect the title, respect the fact that you have a person with a loaded gun who has the authority to shoot you in the back of the head, and that that needs to change. My take at least.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Once again, Bernie fumbles when it comes to speaking with black voters.

Let's go Warren!
At least he didn't answer with "Medicare For All" like when asked at the debates "What would you do to prevent Roe v Wade from being struck down in the courts". The sad thing is, I can actually imagine him thinking that a good answer in this case too...

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
That was a dumb comment that he made. He literally said that it's the child's fault if they get arrested, & that suspects doesn't have rights.

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't sound as bad as the thread title made it out to be. This is regular advice for black people when dealing with cops.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this the kind of thing that 2016 liberal Clinton supporter white people online will get angrier about than any other group.

Deleted member 431

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get what he's trying to say but naw lol poor execution. The second half is a way better answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.