• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Overall, do you think Bernie Sanders is the best candidate for the rest of the world?

• I am not from the US, and I agree

Votes: 614 47.7%
  • I am not from the US, and I disagree (please specify who is best)

Votes: 77 6.0%
  • I am from the US, and I agree

Votes: 483 37.5%
  • I am from the US, and I disagree (please specify who is best)

Votes: 65 5.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 38 3.0%
  • I don't care (I am from the US, and domestic policy is all that matters to me)

Votes: 11 0.9%

• Total voters

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
And Obama lead to Trump, so what kind of republican is Biden going to lead to?

And that is to say if Biden can even beat Trump, which I don't think he can.

This poll is pretty telling so far. Bernie keeps getting equated to Warren in everything, except he flanks her left easily when it comes to foreign affairs.

OP
OP

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I regardless of who's nominated the majority of the world will not see the difference. The US's foreign policy is more complicated than just who the president is. You have to deal with the military industrial complex, the GOP, and the intelligence agencies all pushing for more aggression. Sanders would probably be better than the others, but I think people will be disappointed when it's mostly business as usual were he to win.

Though this goes beyond the scope of this thread, a Bernie presidency isn't just about what he will or won't be able to accomplish. It's also about pushing the discourse (or the Overton window, if you will) to the left. Much like Trump has managed to empower the alt-right and make disgusting discourse more acceptable, a Bernie presidency will help normalize progressive ideas and policies. We've already seen this during the Dem primaries. Stuff like public healthcare has never been as prominent as it is now. I like to believe the US will someday finally be able to join the ranks of many other Western countries on that front.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
We've already seen this during the Dem primaries. Stuff like public healthcare has never been as prominent as it is now.
This. This. This.

The entire 2016 dem primary cycle I remember one question for climate change being asked because a guy in a red shirt asked it and he got internet famous enough he started his own terrible podcast. Meanwhile thanks to one campaign we've had several roundtables solely focused on this issue.

Oct 30, 2017
What in particular is he left of her on? Warren came out immediately against Trump's Israel plan.
-Palestinian issues
-Bernie didn't vote for Trump's military budget increases
-Calling the coup in Bolivia what it is
-Unequivocally denouncing the killing of Soleimani. Warren was coerced on TV into accepting the war mongering premise that he's a bad guy. We've seen this tactic with Saddam.
-Bernie showing solidarity with political prisoner Lula Da Silva where others have not

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes and its not even close. His climate policies and FP alone assure hes the best person for the job.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Having an ineffective leader that can't get shit done? Yeah.

Ever heard of Carter? His presidency lead to Reagan. Imagine what kind of Republican president Bernie will lead to.
Given obama led to one of if not the worst presidents ever this really isnt as strong of an argument as you think it is. Or clinton leading to Bush, probably the worst president ever.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Not from the US.

I think Biden is probably the best for the "rest of the world" since he's the most likely to give into globalist influence. Both Bernie and Trump have protectionist tendencies and are against free trade.

The world fears a US that won't play ball so to speak. I guess there's other things to factor if you live in a conflict zone, but 9/10 it's the economy for most people.

GreatFenris

Banned
Apr 6, 2019
What in the world are you talking about
This is a bit cult-like, don't ya think? "You dare criticize the Omnissiah?"

Swede here; Warren. Bernie seems like the typical career politician to me. Promise the sky and deliver the dirt, while his devoted fans scare me. You shouldn't raise anyone to such heights...It'll lead to disappointment, or worse options. Now, if it's him vs Trump...Oh yeah Bernie is the best goddamn option. But best for the world? Uh, isn't basically his thing "Make America Great Again But Not By Being a Racist Dick" ? Like, maybe that's local political analyses but left to right here usually paint Bernie as pretty unconcerned about international politics.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hell yeah, he is!
931.png

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Swede here; Warren. Bernie seems like the typical career politician to me. Promise the sky and deliver the dirt, while his devoted fans scare me. You shouldn't raise anyone to such heights...It'll lead to disappointment, or worse options. Now, if it's him vs Trump...Oh yeah Bernie is the best goddamn option. But best for the world? Uh, isn't basically his thing "Make America Great Again But Not By Being a Racist Dick" ? Like, maybe that's local political analyses but left to right here usually paint Bernie as pretty unconcerned about international politics.
I don't understand

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
He SEEMS like a candidate i would vote for if i was American. But i'm not.
Warren seem okay.
Always a bit weird with politicians. You have to be a certain type of person to even want that job. You have to have a real hunger for power and being in the spotlight.

Most important part is that Trump leaves and that republicans get less of an influence. He's such a fucking moron. You're really making an international fool of yourself Stanning a cancerous person like that. He truelly is cancerous. Making the country sick. Creating chaos and stress in the world. He's dumb, knows next to nothing, has no ideals aside from filling his own pockets and is a despicable human being. You must be a really scared frustrated angry hateful cunt to vote for a dumb shit like him. Politicians around the world make fun of him or almost throw up just talking about him.
But whatever. We'll see what the USA is made of.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
These aren't useful responses.

I appreciate what Bernie does by energizing and mobilizing voters and many who would not participate otherwise. I just want it channeled for a candidate who has the coordinated staff and the record of real domestic policy achievement that Warren has. And it really makes me question whether it wouldnt be better for Bernie to continue pushing congress left from his place in the Senate

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Asking you clarify your statement is now cult like? Strange.

Sanders can accomplish a lot without senate control (student debt, FP, Climate). The first is something that will be wildly popular with the youth and might get them to show up for a second term. The latter two are directly related to the topic at hand and are instrumental to world peace (and incredibly important). So the fact you think he couldnt accomplish what hes setting out to do, specifically with this topic, is pretty uninformed which is why you didn't really bother why he couldnt accomplish these things and just went with the tired "pie in the sky" nothing better is possible stance.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate what Bernie does by energizing and mobilizing voters and many who would not participate otherwise. I just want it channeled for a candidate who has the coordinated staff and the record of real policy achievement that Warren has. And it really makes me question whether it wouldnt be better for Bernie to continue pushing congress left from his place in the Senate
Considering I have no idea
" This is a bit cult-like, don't ya think? "You dare criticize the Omnissiah?"
Means I think it was a very apt response

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
Like, maybe that's local political analyses but left to right here usually paint Bernie as pretty unconcerned about international politics.

I think Bernie is the least interventionist and imperialist of the candidates and people who do not wish to imagine an America that doesn't try to bend as many nations as possible for its own economic benefit conflate this with being unconcerned about international politics.

OP
OP

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You realize you're talking to non-US residents here for the most part, right? We all know Bernie isn't some kind of revolutionary vanguard leftist who's gonna bring true communism/anarchism and can do no wrong. No shit he's nothing special to you: he takes direct inspiration from demsoc Northern European countries like yours. "Hey guys, this guy is doing the same thing as us, why am I not blown away?"

Even the guy in the video in my OP says Bernie is "milquetoast" (his words) on international affairs. But believe it or not, within the context of the US, and given how much sway that country holds over the rest of the world, that milquetoast-ness is nearly revolutionary, and certainly enough to feel like a breath of fresh air internationally. Europe especially is taking a sharp turn to the right, so it's reassuring to see a left-leaning presidential candidate in the US go the other way.

I don't even know why I'm dignifying galaxybrain takes like yours or the poster you're essentially defending here with a response. Probably because I'm bored at work.

Phrozenflame500

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Too dovish, especially with regard to Venezuela and maybe Russia/China where the US should be ramping up International pressure. Would prefer Biden or Buttigieg on this front.

That said, I appreciate his stance on Israel and his general agreement with Obama on the need to move away from the Mid. East

Deleted member 14459

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What in particular is he left of her on? Warren came out immediately against Trump's Israel plan.

My main questions around Warren is regarding foreign policy, which is central since the president can do a lot there even if the dems would not hold senate. Warren's near history on Israel-Palestine is problematic and she would need to be very explicit about what she thinks on these issues to sway me. She has not. Notably her position on Israel's 2014 war on Gaza is very problematic, she also voted for the defense authorization bill in 2018, her foreign policy advisor team is also highly suspect and would indicate that she'd wouldn't try to change any Dem positions of foreign policy, the military greening plan also suggests (to me) that some serious obfuscation regarding the "Responsibility" of the military industrial complex would go down. That she has no detailedwonky plans around foreign policy shows she at best have others lead these polcies, and considering who shehas on her foreign policy team, that is not agood thing.

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
-Palestinian issues
-Bernie didn't vote for Trump's military budget increases
-Calling the coup in Bolivia what it is
-Unequivocally denouncing the killing of Soleimani. Warren was coerced on TV into accepting the war mongering premise that he's a bad guy. We've seen this tactic with Saddam.
-Bernie showing solidarity with political prisoner Lula Da Silva where others have not

This.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Too dovish, especially with regard to South America and maybe Russia/China where the US should be ramping up International pressure. Would prefer Biden or Buttigieg on this front.

That said, I appreciate his stance on Israel and his general agreement with Obama on the need to move away from the Mid. East

LatAm can use a break from "US ramp ups". For too long the US has treated it like their personal state engineering experiment.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I appreciate what Bernie does by energizing and mobilizing voters and many who would not participate otherwise. I just want it channeled for a candidate who has the coordinated staff and the record of real domestic policy achievement that Warren has. And it really makes me question whether it wouldnt be better for Bernie to continue pushing congress left from his place in the Senate

But Warren does not have a record of real policy achievement. Neither of them have accomplished a whole lot, legislatively.

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
The results of this poll are relieving. I know it is just a small sample so far but I thought Resetera disliked Bernie. Guess it is just a vocal minority as usual.

Brainchild come back.

Aria

Nov 21, 2019
U.K. here and I love what the guy stands for. Zero fucks for the rich and tax dodging corporations and big pharma. He seems like a president who actually wants change.

Can't say I've ever liked any politician ever except Bernie.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Love Bernie and he's my pick but I'm not sure people are rabid fans of him for his international stances so much as a gigantic need for a strong domestic focus these days.

I'd say Biden is the most well suited to navigating the international waters in all matters and not just Israel.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I would argue Warren is slightly better because of her policies on race. That's one thing that Bernie has consistently floundered on in comparison.

I plan to vote for Warren, but I would more than happy to have Bernie as the candidate as well.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And that is to say if Biden can even beat Trump, which I don't think he can.

This poll is pretty telling so far. Bernie keeps getting equated to Warren in everything, except he flanks her left easily when it comes to foreign affairs.

The gap between Bernie and other candidates on foreign policy is just staggering. We desperately need a Sanders presidency in order to course-correct on the disaster that has been the bipartisan American establishment foreign policy positions of the last 70 years.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My friends and family in Scotland don't follow it very closely but the only ones they've heard of, period, are Biden, Bernie and Warren - and they are pretty plain that Warren is the most like the sort of candidate they'd like, and they think Warren and Bernie have roughly the same policy positions (which is true). Scotland is quite political compared to the US - and politics are an essential aspect of conversation there, rather than taboo. Which is healthier. So while they don't know a lot, I suspect (well, I know) they know a lot more than we do about Europe.

I have a Spanish intern staying with us while she interns as a teacher at our public elementary and she has absolutely no clue what is going on, doesn't know who the two parties are and thinks of Trump roughly the same way we think of Benny Hill - as a gross but not serious TV character.

Oct 25, 2017
Canadian here. Bernie is the best candidate for me. I like Warren, too, but there are certain things where I feel he edges her out. The other candidates are non-starters and Biden specifically has fallen off a cliff for me. The last year has been eye-opening in terms of his actual policies and I feel like he's deteriorating.

Sanders is clearly very popular on Era, but there is a very vocal minority that has made it their mission to enlighten the rest about why he isn't who you think he is. Creates the impression that 'Era hates Bernie' when that obviously isn't the case.

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
Being honest I'm not too informed on Bernie, but from what I've read he seems like the best pick by far, although I wonder how much support he'll get from the senate.

In any case, as long as Trump doesn't win again I'll be happy.

Not from the US btw.

Oct 26, 2017
Well of course an online leftist is going to think a leftist is the best option in a US presidential election. It also depends on what you mean as "the world," which I think typically means the West/Europe etc according to some people. Some nations have legitimate security concerns that the US helps ease, others have serious economic ties, and some just want us to get the fuck out. I think any of the Dems will be fine and Biden overall would gel the best as a member of the Obama Administration's political establishment with the usual suspects, but Bernie would be fine too.

Oct 30, 2017
Yep.

Sanders has really come together to merge domestic and foreign issues as they often are directly related.
Scaling back the US empire frees up resources for domestic funding. But it goes beyond that,
It's about respecting Democracy here and abroad. We don't need to mettle in a lot of the affairs that we do. We need to show solidarity where we can with the people of other countries and respect their humanity.

In terms of foreign policy, I think Sanders offers the most clear and understandable vision for the US' role in the world.

Also to add to my list from above,
Bernie also led the charge with Mike Lee from Utah to take a stand against the US' role in the War taking place in Yemen.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still for Warren. I think she'll do well with foreign policy.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well of course an online leftist is going to think a leftist is the best option in a US presidential election. It also depends on what you mean as "the world," which I think typically means the West/Europe etc according to some people. Some nations have legitimate security concerns that the US helps ease, others have serious economic ties, and some just want us to get the fuck out. I think any of the Dems will be fine and Biden overall would gel the best as a member of the Obama Administration's political establishment with the usual suspects, but Bernie would be fine too.
Crazy to say this given Obama's numerous war crimes and mass murders, in a thread about who would be best for the world (not to mention Biden is lacking on climate change as well).

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Crazy to say this given Obama's numerous war crimes and mass murders, in a thread about who would be best for the world (not to mention Biden is lacking on climate change as well).

People constantly hand wave American military adventurism and birdbrained CIA ops like the Venezuela coup as "no big deal", this is nothing new.

Bernie has the potential to be the least war criminal President in probably over a century. That people can so blithely dismiss this is a real indictment of the US political system.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
User banned (two weeks): inflammatory generalization
Talk to basically any Middle Easterner, and Bernie being arguably the only acceptable candidate becomes rather clear.
Middle Easterners want a Jewish US president? Or am I missing the message here?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People constantly hand wave American military adventurism and birdbrained CIA ops like the Venezuela coup as "no big deal", this is nothing new.

Bernie has the potential to be the least war criminal President in probably over a century. That people can so blithely dismiss this is a real indictment of the US political system.
Agreed. Not to mention that the people citing Venezuela are seemingly forgetting that the sanctions we imposed on them account for a massive hit to the state of their economy in the first place right now.