• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
tenor.gif

I do think it's fair to disagree with the use of slurs even if used in quotes.

But do you think cenk is actually racist?

When it comes to voting about things that would impact the lives of black people, do you think Cenk would vote the wrong way? Compared to say someome like major Pete?
Or his direct opponent in this race?

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do think it's fair to disagree with the use of slurs even if used in quotes.

But do you think cenk is actually racist?

When it comes to voting about things that would impact the lives of black people, do you think Cenk would vote the wrong way? Compared to say someome like major Pete?
Or his direct opponent in this race?
Racist? Can't say for sure but I'd give him the benefit of the doubt over say, Butti.

Christie Smith? No. She's good people.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Saying that the notion that someone is tainted forever is what we've been processing is insulting. I am tormented DAILY by my mistakes, and the idea that I can still live a life of worth despite everything I've suffered as a victim and the wrongs I've committed as a result of warped values is part of what keeps me going.

the fact is, if this man had legitimately repented, I would be with you all on sticking up for him. But his defense of those comments he made on his program, and the fact that he still supports, participates in, and promotes organizations that deny the Armenian genocide lead me to doubt that his apologies are sincere.

now I do recognize that change is a spectrum, and no one ever becomes completely perfect. But I cannot in good faith support him or support endorsing him for PUBLIC OFFICE knowing what I know about him. If I had shown myself backpedaling on my own progress, my own friends and family would be justified in holding me to task for it. There are second chances, even third chances, and then there's giving something to someone they aren't ready or right for.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I can't believe we're at "yes, so what he used the n-word in the last 10 years. You're saying people are just cancelled after that?!"

Maybe he should, you know, just not run for political office?

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saying that the notion that someone is tainted forever is what we've been processing is insulting. I am tormented DAILY by my mistakes, and the idea that I can still live a life of worth despite everything I've suffered as a victim and the wrongs I've committed as a result of warped values is part of what keeps me going.

the fact is, if this man had legitimately repented, I would be with you all on sticking up for him. But his defense of those comments he made on his program, and the fact that he still supports, participates in, and promotes organizations that deny the Armenian genocide lead me to doubt that his apologies are sincere.

now I do recognize that change is a spectrum, and no one ever becomes completely perfect. But I cannot in good faith support him or support endorsing him for PUBLIC OFFICE knowing what I know about him. If I had shown myself backpedaling on my own progress, my own friends and family would be justified in holding me to task for it. There are second chances, even third chances, and then there's giving something to someone they aren't ready or right for.
I agree when people make mistakes they grow. Bigger ones require time.

N word usage is not a mistake. It's downright wrong.

Quzar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Do you drop into difficult and heavy discussions that require nauce and understanding to say "lol both sides are the same"?
No, but that's totally up to your interpretations of what I say. I'm assuming you haven't called Cenk a sexist or misogynist in this very thread, lest you fall to your own logic.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, but that's totally up to your interpretations of what I say. I'm assuming you haven't called Cenk a sexist or misogynist in this very thread, lest you fall to your own logic.
Nope, but I do think he's problematic and Christie Smith a better candidate.

I also like Bernie.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think whether or not Cenk is white has any meaning when it comes to if he should be able to use the N-word.....

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I can't believe we're at "yes, so what he used the n-word in the last 10 years. You're saying people are just cancelled after that?!"

Maybe he should, you know, just not run for political office?

Just to clarify your stance. If someone has said a racial slur not in directly demeaning way but quoting someone using it that way, then they shouldn't run for office ever?

It does show bad judgement i guess.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Okay, I am not here for any of these comments insisting this man is white. I'm critical of him, yes, but this is a step too far.

His use of slurs when he's not part of the ethnic group in question is still something I'd criticize him for, but I have no idea if that plays any role in who he is now and I'd certainly condemn it if he still considered using such words as alright. As a stupid white person, I'm also not qualified to make that call that he should be forgiven for it to begin with.

But his using those words can be wrong, and so can calling him white. Stop it.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
They're treating it like "Voldemort". Even referencing it for the sake of criticism is a sin.

I don't agree with the comparison of a gross slur with voldemort. Sorry.

I think it's fair to be against any usage of the word.

I just want people to be accurate about what their issues are.

Cenk used a racist slur in a sentence. True
Hence Cenk is racist. I don't think that follows. Context, etc. Matters

Dec 12, 2017
He was born in Turkey, grew up Muslim and immigrated to America at 8 years old. He is an immigrant and a minority. Throwing Cenk in with typical "White America" is just more intellectual dishonesty.
You're being intellectually dishonest in ignoring that in today's social construct of racism, he's not a visual minority. I can't believe I have to explain that race in America is defined by what you look like.

Quzar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You're being intellectually dishonest in ignoring that in today's social construct of racism, he's not a visual minority. I can't believe I have to explain that race in America is defined by what you look like.
You're going to gatekeep race? This is actual colorism, my guy. I get you're trying to speak on people's proximity to whiteness but wtf.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
The topic of nuance has already been thrown around in here, and I think if you are going to be nuanced, it should be surrounding a topic like M4A, which benefits everyone, including minorities, women and the LGBTQ community.

I couldn't give less of a shit if people want to label me as a "fauxressive" or whatever it is just because I don't spend every waking hour crusading for every individual cause. I know what I vote for and why, and I will continue to do so. The needs of the many etc etc
No one denies that M4A would benefit women and minorities.

The thing is though that some progressives really need to get off the kick that we only need to focus on this one issue that affects everybody. It's very important for any leftist candidate to openly speak about specific issues faced by specific communities and policy to benefit them. You can't answer a question about LGBT rights with an answer about free healthcare or tax cuts for the middle class. You're not speaking to that community. You're speaking past them and telling them that your good policy will trickle down some day and help them too eventually. It's patronizing and condescending even to try and tell them this with language like "the needs of the many." That's not how you tell someone that they matter.

Yes, someone with misogynist views and rhetoric is a bad candidate for women's rights, even if they support M4A. Going further, someone who doesn't speak at all about women's rights is also a bad candidate for women's rights, even if they support M4A. And taking no interest in minority topics while continuing to insist that M4A is the magic fix for it all is just incredibly tone-deaf and privileged.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
User Banned (1 Month): Inflammatory whataboutisms in regards to racial language, ignoring the staff post
Nonwhites should not use the N-word, we all agree on that.
The question now is: what happens when they do use it. Is it over then? Because again: I watch TYT every single day and Cenk is not using the N-word. Had he insisted on using it, you would have a point. He is clearly not. And if using an N-word is forever not-okay, and a cause for political exile, THEN what do you do with Hillary's superpredators comment? And Joe Biden opposing bussing? ACTUAL policies that affect blacks disproprotionately, and policies against which Cenk fights again and again.

No one denies that M4A would benefit women and minorities.

Yes, someone with misogynist views and rhetoric is a bad candidate for women's rights, even if they support M4A. Going further, someone who doesn't speak at all about women's rights is also a bad candidate for women's rights, even if they support M4A. And taking no interest in minority topics while continuing to insist that M4A is the magic fix for it all is just incredibly tone-deaf and privileged.

The Cenk of today does not have misogynist views and rethoric. Just watch the show, for god's sake. We can debate to hell and back about his past views, but the today's Cenk is progressive and is FOR women's rights.

Quzar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Lol, that's not colorism my dude.
You're removing Cenk's ethnicity and saying he can not speak on the issues of minorities because of the color of this skin. How is this not colorism? I've been told shit like this before because I'm a lighter shade of brown than some Mexicans.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Just to clarify your stance. If someone has said a racial slur not in directly demeaning way but quoting someone using it that way, then they shouldn't run for office ever?

It does show bad judgement i guess.
If your judgement is poor enough to use it, you probably shouldn't. If your judgement is poor enough to wear blackface, you probably shouldn't.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
I literally feel isolated here. I'm sticking up for my position but now other people who share it have posted some really dire stuff. I feel like my protests got lost in the wind. This is getting very upsetting. I... I think I need to pull out.

Status
Not open for further replies.