• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
I bring up Northam cause it was first reported by a shitty right wing rag. Not comparing this to blackface.

I'm positive Bernie would not put this out today though. Y'all can defend this but you know he'd have chosen a different word if he was publishing it in 2019.

So let me ask you: do you think this was printed in 2019? Or do you think there are no things that politicians today would not print that they would have printed back in 97?

Also, I anxiously await your response to Bernie being arrested for protesting against segregation.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bring up Northam cause it was first reported by a shitty right wing rag. Not comparing this to blackface.

I'm positive Bernie would not put this out today though. Y'all can defend this but you know he'd have chosen a different word if he was publishing it in 2019.
Not when he is analyzing the context of how the word was used. Again, academic discourse surrounding use of racial epithets does not censor the epithets used. The n-word is put into quotations specifically to signify how it is being attributed to its use by right wing politicians at the time. This is so incredibly disingenuous and ignorant of you to even post here.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Don't really care about the start of the conversation. Would you be okay with Bernie actually penning that today?
Penning what? That white southerns are lead to vote against their material best interests by politicians appealing to their hatred of black people?

Because that's what that quote is about genius

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
using the Daily Caller as a source is some clown shit, but i do have to wonder if literally any other white candidate in the race would be getting the "YOU HAVE TO LOOK AT THE CONTEXT" treatment for this

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

What word would he have used to provide a specific, precise, but different word than the one that was actually used to propagate a mindset? To examine why something is bad, academics have to engage with it in a specific term.

OP
OP
GrapeApes

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Penning what? That white southerns are lead to vote against their material best interests by politicians appealing to their hatred of black people?

Because that's what that quote is about genius
I know what it's about. I'm just not cool with the wording from white politicians.
What word would he have used to provide a specific, precise, but different word than the one that was actually used to propagate a mindset? To examine why something is bad, academics have to engage with it in a specific term.
Ok if we're going with the academic route. It wouldn't be different if he wrote that in 2019. Since this is all academics.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
using the Daily Caller as a source is some clown shit, but i do have to wonder if literally any other white candidate in the race would be getting the "YOU HAVE TO LOOK AT THE CONTEXT" treatment for this
Why wouldn't they? I assure you if Warren or Biden or any other candidate had written a book with academic analysis of the use of racial divisions and epithets to stoke division in the working class by right wing politicians then yes they would be defended for it.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

None of the other ones would likely have had a thread about it though, because the context would be self-evident

fierygunrob

One Winged Slayer
Jan 16, 2018
Your intentions are known, such a brave martyr

I was just going to point this out, apparently some folks over in PoliEra are just looking for reasons to be upset at Sanders.

I would hope so, because seriously, look at the context. Do you see something I don't see?

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I know what it's about. I'm just not cool with the wording from white politicians.

Ok if we're going with the academic route. It wouldn't be different if he wrote that in 2019. Since this is all academics.
I mean, it is meant to be an academic text. Glad to see anti-intellectualism is a valid tactic from anti-Bernie folks.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, he meant well, but the issue is, if you frame it badly to start the conversation, and use unreliable sources to have this discussion, then the scope of the discussion will become disingenuous, and marred with inconsistencies and conjecture.

Look, if you wanted to bring this topic up, and ask about the issue, you shouldn't be using false equivalencies to try to further cloud your actual purpose for this discussion.

It's just odd for someone who keeps claiming he wants a serious discussion about this, you have done nothing to show it with your sarcastic retorts to everyone who has questioned your intent here.

All that being said, I don't really feel this is a good conversation to be had without having a more thorough op, with a better source, and better context provided about the material in question, before we can have a valid discussion on this topic, and if you're actually interested in this discussion, to re-consider putting more effort into researching the topic more thoroughly, which includes better sourcing, and better framing.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
And you cant even paint Bernie as racist, given that he has been consistently working towards passing laws that HELP the minorities in the US, unlike say, Uncle Joe there.

Bernie 'Racism' Sanders, right here folks:
ct-bernie-sanders-1963-chicago-arrest-20160219

is that really bernie sanders between the cops? damn he looks like a young buddy holly

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Don't really care about the start of the conversation. Would you be okay with Bernie actually penning that today?
Oh fuck right off with this.

Tell me something: has the situation in the south changed enough where it wouldn't be true anymore? Because last I checked, no, it hasn't. It would still pretty accurately sum up the agenda a great number of right wing politicians push these days...

kittenbreath

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Did OP update his post with a different article? Because all I see is an article about the daily caller article, but everyone is acting like they posted the original.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
3,000% down with Bernie and anyone opposing the current admin, so lol @ this piece.

That said, is this piece *saying* he's a racist straight up or something, or is it saying that he said the N-word in this book back then and divorcing it from context?

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
...there are posters in poliera agreeing with the daily caller because it's a hit piece on bernie? what on earth.
...the closest anyone actually got in there to "agreeing with the DC" was clowning on Gray's response, specifically the part about his entire career in lily-white Vermont being "devoted to building a multi-racial coalition of working people"

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope we're all this critical of conservative hit jobs for all the dem candidates going forward.

OP
OP
GrapeApes

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh fuck right off with this.

Tell me something: has the situation in the south changed enough where it wouldn't be true anymore? Because last I checked, no, it hasn't. It would still pretty accurately sum up the agenda a great number of right wing politicians push these days...
It's accurate but again my beef is with a white politician using the word. Bernie should have no qualms about penning something like that today if it's still kosher.

Status
Not open for further replies.