• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jun 20, 2019
Mississippi Leftist here, i'm not gonna go through most of the posts saying MS is 100% racist and refute them. Mississippi is racist, at least 100% on the republican side. It's a different kind of republicanism. But anyone who has never been here could easily state that we're racist and move on, you're wrong. Mississippi is a heavily disenfranchised state, most democrats are wrapped into red districts besides the delta. Mississippi is pure purple if you would let everyone vote without gerrymandering.
That's encouraging to hear. What do you think could be done to help counter the right-wing hold on the state?

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
bernie has the privilege of being a white man in america, he can be as wild and crazy as he wants. Alot Left/Liberals have this fetish for the anrgry black man in Obama, Bill Mahr even vocialized it saying "I thought we were getting Sug KNight". Ignoring that most black people have to code switch to make it through the day, Obama drastically improved health care in the country and they still founded a poltical movement built around lynching him. Not to mention being hamstring by a senate that wouldn't let him pass the cure for cancer for most of his terms. You say he didn't do enough, but as a black man in power in this racist country what he did was amazing considering what he was up against. The most damning thing about Obama's makeup was he actually believe in the innate goodness of people.
Bombing Brown people, spying latino presidents and meddling in governments, How is that believe in goodness?

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not to dismiss these critiques (the drone strikes are the biggest stain on his record by far) but I don't think you could put literally any American in the position of President and not see them engage in some kind of shady activity eventually. Part and parcel with the job.
US imperialism is not part of the job, fuck off with this normalization of that.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Not to dismiss these critiques (the drone strikes are the biggest stain on his record by far) but I don't think you could put literally any American in the position of President and not see them engage in some kind of shady activity eventually. Part and parcel with the job.
Holy shit.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It must be really great to be members on this board from these regions Obama bombed and have to continue reading posts that chalk up drone strikes as nothing but a stain on a record.

Bombing Brown people, spying latino presidents and meddling in governments, How is that believe in goodness?
Crazy how thats a thing that people just ignore or downplay in this community. But yeah "innate goodness". Sure. Ok. Also what was the innate goodness in downplaying the flint crisis? What possible reason was there for him to do that?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Let's stop with the "Obama was a good man that believed in the goodness of people" schtick, it's pure neoliberal propaganda. Little of his actual legacy or administration actions tracks with this.

bricewgilbert

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WA, USA
bernie has the privilege of being a white man in america, he can be as wild and crazy as he wants. Alot Left/Liberals have this fetish for the anrgry black man in Obama, Bill Mahr even vocialized it saying "I thought we were getting Sug KNight". Ignoring that most black people have to code switch to make it through the day, Obama drastically improved health care in the country and they still founded a poltical movement built around lynching him. Not to mention being hamstring by a senate that wouldn't let him pass the cure for cancer for most of his terms. You say he didn't do enough, but as a black man in power in this racist country what he did was amazing considering what he was up against. The most damning thing about Obama's makeup was he actually believe in the innate goodness of people.

The inherent goodness of people? He was a grown ass adult man and the president of the United States of America. He is responsible for the choices that were made. The good and the bad. You seem to really want to ignore all the really really bad. Being hamstrung by the bad faith Republican party/media can be attributed in many cases to both racism and then playing the game poorly on his part. Remember how the Republicans and Fox News all stopped their racist attacks after he had Henry Louis Gates meet with that racist cop to work out their differences? Oh yeah that didn't happen. They kept attacking him anyways. You say he was hamstrung from doing anything, but then act like the strategic choices he made had an impact. Like it wasn't the case that the reaction from the committed right wouldn't have been the same if he had said either "many cops are good people" or "abolish the police". In all those 8 years were their legit moments where a choice he had to make was tough? Yeah certainly, but again I feel like I need to keep pointing it out. Deportations, drones, financial crisis, continued wars and conflict leading to more deaths.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Let's stop with the "Obama was a good man that believed in the goodness of people" schtick, it's pure neoliberal propaganda. Little of his actual legacy or administration actions tracks with this.

It's disingenuous to frame Obama as a man who has done nothing good as president and not a very flawed man stuck in a very flawed institution. There's plenty to attack him on, like drone strikes, but to reduce him to being identical to a Republican irresponsibly feeds into the "both sides are the same" narrative.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
There's a pretty big difference between:
90% of all white people in Mississippi are confirmed not racist
and
90% of white people in Mississippi aren't racist, but maybe 75-80% are

I suspect he meant the latter. That not all of that 90% accounts for racists.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Given Bernie is on the record as not supporting reparations but is trying to reach the 90% that voted against Obama. He's more likely to tax Andre Young's wealth to help whites in the South than to advocate for reparations. Let that sink in as you want to calibrate the optics of the mistakes Bernie continues to make in advocating economic policy above racial and gender policies.

Deleted member 60302

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 29, 2019
Dumb comment by Bernie. He isnt getting any votes from the Sip for saying that.

Like what are viewers supposed to garner from this statement.
"Yeah, the dems failed to get the vote from 90 percent of the Missippian white electorate because they didnt appeal to their monolithic sense of [blank]"

This is a Biden tier gaffe. He should have kept this in drafts

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sure are a lot of posts saying that if you don't believe a general population is racist then you are "yikes"

To which I say - Yikes

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
Is there something wrong with what's being said here?

Racism isn't some absolute dichotomy. People can change, people can be informed. Education is a strong force. There's no gain from dismissing a state cause you think their people are irredeemable.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, who's worse on race? Bernie or Biden? Cause the way I read the thread it seems like a lot of people would say Bernie. I find that really weird since Biden was good buds with segregationists in the 1970's. He even tried to justify it during this election cycle.

And that's not even mentioning Biden's role in the 1994 Crime bill. He wrote the damn bill and fought for it hard. He said some racist ass shit while doing that too. That bill ruined lives. It still ruins lives. Biden may have called the bill a mistake during this election cycle, but he also lied about it and minimized it's impact by saying it didn't increase the incarceration rates.

Bernie's statements here were distasteful maybe, but I'd trust him on race policies far more than I'd trust Biden. Biden is a racist by most people's standards. He may have cleaned up his act since being VP, but he has one of the worst records on race of any Democratic politician still around today.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018

Racism isn't some absolute dichotomy. People can change, people can be informed. Education is a strong force. There's no gain from dismissing a state cause you think their people are irredeemable.

Bernie's not getting the massive long term operation required to accomplish this, he's got a few months to counter entrenched right wing dogma and racism.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

What's there to gain by dismissing the efforts of democrats in the state, especially when you highlight the best year since 1976 as a failure.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): concern trolling and dismissing concerns of racism
Mississippi was the lynching capital of America but I assume all those racists have just grown out of it
Let's pre-arrest all their kids right now and put this whole racism thing to bed. Finally the good guys win.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
So, who's worse on race? Bernie or Biden? Cause the way I read the thread it seems like a lot of people would say Bernie. I find that really weird since Biden was good buds with segregationists in the 1970's. He even tried to justify it during this election cycle.

And that's not even mentioning Biden's role in the 1994 Crime bill. He wrote the damn bill and fought for it hard. He said some racist ass shit while doing that too. That bill ruined lives. It still ruins lives. Biden may have called the bill a mistake during this election cycle, but he also lied about it and minimized it's impact by saying it didn't increase the incarceration rates.

Bernie's statements here were distasteful maybe, but I'd trust him on race policies far more than I'd trust Biden. Biden is a racist by most people's standards. He may have cleaned up his act since being VP, but he has one of the worst records on race of any Democratic politician still around today.
Well, I think Bernie is technically better on race. I don't believe he's a racist, he's been on the right side of history when it comes to civil rights, it's just, he either truly believes this fantasy that all our negative race relations stem from class warfare or he's fully aware that's bullshit and is just trying to sell that to people who want to believe doing much needed social reforms will solve these problems without us needing to do any reexamining as a country and specifically addressing them. But either way as a Senator I'd trust his vote more than Bidens and as a President I'd trust him to be better at race than Biden in terms of actual policies but I don't know that he could ever be the adult in the room that could talk to the nation about racism. Then again I'm not sure the racist parts of America would listen to any President on racism so maybe that's unneeded?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Only on ERA would "Dems should try harder in Mississippi" be a more damning thing to say than "it's because they're all racist, Dems shouldn't bother"
Can you please explain how the best performance in Mississippi in decades that Barack Obama delivered highlights the failure of the Democrats.

Like the fact that he specifically name drops Obama is hilarious

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
People in this thread continuing to take the black vote for granted because who else are they gonna vote for, so it's okay to tell them to sit down while we coddle a handful of racists. If you want to reform racists and reach out to whites in Mississippi, you don't do it by handwaving away the racism and spitting in the face of your most dependable voters. I don't get why that's so hard to understand, unless you're okay with exploiting the desperation of black voters.

Deleted member 60302

Banned
Sep 29, 2019
Only on ERA would "Dems should try harder in Mississippi" be a more damning thing to say than "it's because they're all racist, Dems shouldn't bother"
Another stupid post. Harkening back to Obama's campaign to vindicate him for not getting the majority of white votes in a deep south state with a long standing history of racism is ridiculous.

The fact that you lack the critical thinking to realize that thats the real issue with Bernie's statement is hilarious.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
At what point in America's history did the majority of southern White Americans stop being racist?
Racism doesn't turn off like a switch, it happens gradually. Obviously a presidential candidate cannot say "Everyone from Mississippi is racist! And if you disagree you're a bigot!", and in my personal opinion I don't think it's beneficial for non-candidates to say that either.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
Losing 30% of your constituency by pissing them off for possibly 5% increase in the white vote is a bold move Bernie...

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

while the 'centrists working toward the middle are scum' is constantly branded about.
And yet we need to do more to appeal to one of the most racist groups in the country?

Deleted member 60302

Banned
Sep 29, 2019
Do we need to have a history lesson on why the State that lead the movement in disenfranchising African Americans had only 10 percent of the white electorate vote for the first black president?

Or are people actually going to pretend this isnt a gaffe and that evoking the first black president in this context is even remotely a good idea.

Anyway Bernie is just fishing for votes which is fine but this is just poor rhetoric. Ok, maybe its good rhetoric if you want to appeal to uneducated voters who unknowingly act on racial biases but hate being labeled racist.

Anyone who knows American history from 1865 to 1960 however, understands why this is a weird comment. Especially when its Mississippi of all states.

This is Yang mentioning white birth rates tier of appealing to White voter fragility

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
A reminder that this is the flag in Mississippi.

mississippi-flag.jpg
Ok, so y'all fought a war, the south lost, and then the states that seceded the union joined back in, under the fucking confederate flag!?
Like, what the actual fuck.

Deleted member 11046

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Racism doesn't turn off like a switch, it happens gradually. Obviously a presidential candidate cannot say "Everyone from Mississippi is racist! And if you disagree you're a bigot!", and in my personal opinion I don't think it's beneficial for non-candidates to say that either.
I'll make it easy for you. Give me a decade. In what ten year span of time did the majority of White Americans in the South stop being bigoted? You have a lot of strong opinions about racism in this country so this should be a simply question to answer.

Deleted member 11046

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Another Bernie thread where this topic is literally not at all controversial but some will try to pretend that it is. Theres nothing wrong with that statement
That there is nothing wrong with that statement for you ignores that it is clearly a problem for many and perhaps instead of dismissing why his statement is problematic (specifically for the group of people he once again will need to snag the nomination he lost years ago) you should instead, idk, listen?

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
the funniest part of this continues to be that Bernie himself famously declined to campaign in the south because he knew southern states wouldn't vote for the democratic candidate in the general.