• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Wealthy and educated people vote for republicans....

not arguing that they don't.

2-12.png

see white non-college grad numbers.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus.

Theres a huge difference between actively endorsing and pushing republican political agenda and trying to convert republican voters by popping their insulated bubbles and welcoming them to reality.

And he said maybe 30% instead of 10, not that we gonna win over fucking everybody.

Do y'all seriously believe 90% of the state is aggressively racist and completely unredeemable? Maybe that many are ignorantly, low key racist. I'd say that's probably true for the entire country. It's hard to be white in America and not have at least a little bit of subconscious racism. But most racist people are not nazis. They are not unredeemably racist. And if you want to end racism, you can't completely ostracize those people. You can ostracize the nazis but you gotta wake up everyone else, otherwise we will NEVER get past this extreme polarization we're currently in.

appealing to the racists that vote for republicans is fine.

appealing to republicans so you can get their voters is bad?

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
whats wrong with this statement?

Would have been nice for the OP to have said more than " Yikes" right? Provide some kind of personal contribution to steer the conversation beyond passive aggressive one-liners?

Yes, that would be nice.

If we went back in time to the original Obama campaign, then we would recall that late-term abortions was a HOT topic during the first decade of the new century.

I mean, so hot that allegorically, I saw some life-long friendships terminate (no pun intended), over whether or not to vote for Obama because of his (and his wife's) stance on abortion.

Yes, we're currently under a racist regime, and yes, the South is notoriously racist. These things are true. But to assume that Obama didn't get white votes because of racism alone is anachronistic.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, pretty sure most of Mississippi is racist. White people ignorantly voting to keep themselves down so long as POC get it worse.

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Reminder dude outright said not voting for a black person specifically because they're black isn't neccesarily racist.

Sanders has an incredible ability to say stupid garbage that completely betrays his personal politics. It's oddly fascinating and infinitely frustrating. Especially because people will flock to explain how actually what he said is smart and not stupid at all.
It's all economic anxiety

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I think it's a question of how you start to de-radicalize people.
Someone has to try. Someone has to start making changes or changes won't happen.

It's about supplanting one ideology with another. Class solidarity over racial solidarity. It's about giving them a theory that explains that the causes of their misery and suffering comes from a hypercapitalistic structure that places profits over human dignity. One that replaces the idea that their problems come from black people, Muslims, immigrants, or Mexicans.
Yes, yes, I've heard this bit. I do not believe that viewing things in terms of class struggle is mutually exclusive to being racist. Period. Bottomline. You might think the two are mutually exclusive but there's a huge amount of discounting of people's ability to hold hypocritical views in the face of anything because those views make them feel superior. Some people will always want to feel superior. So this entire line of argument you're bringing up here means nothing to me. Not even to mention that the assumption that these people as a whole are aware of policy specifics is a maaaaaaaaasssssssssiiiiiiiiivvvvvveee stretch.

On top of that, again, even bothering to give Mississipi the time of day as a democrat in 2020 is a waste of time and resources that could be used to convince the convincable.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It would have been so easy to just say "Barack Obama won 10% of the white vote in Mississippi. I think we can do better"

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
All I know is that criticizing the Obama Era is a really dumb idea if you're trying to get elected as a Democrat. Even if the criticism is valid.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, yes, I've heard this bit. I do not believe that viewing things in terms of class struggle is mutually exclusive to being racist. Period. Bottomline. You might think the two are mutually exclusive but there's a huge amount of discounting of people's ability to hold hypocritical views in the face of anything because those views make them feel superior. Some people will always want to feel superior. So this entire line of argument you're bringing up here means nothing to me. Not even to mention that the assumption that these people as a whole are aware of policy specifics is a maaaaaaaaasssssssssiiiiiiiiivvvvvveee stretch.

On top of that, again, even bothering to give Mississipi the time of day as a democrat in 2020 is a waste of time and resources that could be used to convince the convincable.

I don't think it's a 2020 strategy.

I don't believe that this video is current. I have a suspicion it's from the 2016.

Googleplex

Oct 25, 2017
I believe he comes from a good place on this stuff, but his lack of eloquence on racial issues can really hurt him.

I have no doubt that Bernie normally comes from a "good place" when he puts his foot in his mouth on issues of race and women. The problem is he never seems to FUCKING LEARN!

I'm sure he was coming form a good place when he told Warren that was woman couldn't win. And shit like the statement in the OP is exactly why I have no doubt he said exactly that!

Bernie is, and always was a terrible Candidate. A well meaning one, but fucking terrible.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

What-If-Its-A-Hoax-56a74f4c5f9b58b7d0e8f300.jpg

reminds me of this.

of course it won't wipe out racism but does that mean we don't try? lol

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Bernie is wrong

Obama lost Mississippi the least of any Dem in decades in 2012 and he did it with thr black vote.

90% of white mississippians may not be racist but 90% of the voting populace of white mississippians are more than happy to vote for racist candidates

Prodigal Son

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny how all the people in this topic who have ACTUALLY LIVED IN FUCKING MISSSISSIPPI, a state that only officially abolished slavery in 2013, keep saying that 90% is lowballing it, but people like you keep ignoring it.
ill keep ignoring it probably since 90% of the people who live in Mississippi arent racist lol

Bernie is wrong

Obama lost Mississippi the least of any Dem in decades in 2012 and he did it with thr black vote.

90% of white mississippians may not be racist but 90% of the voting populace of white americans are more than happy to vote for racist candidates
this is the only sane position this imo

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If whites in Mississippi choose to vote against their racism in favor of Bernie's progressive policies that would be a good thing right? It doesn't fix racism but it's a step towards a future where people don't vote based off of their racism.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
It would have been so easy to just say "Barack Obama won 10% of the white vote in Mississippi. I think we can do better"
No, we have to criticize Democrats for not appealing to working class voters who express their economic anxiety by voting for the party that cuts billionaires' taxes.

Oct 25, 2017
All I know is that criticizing the Obama Era is a really dumb idea if you're trying to get elected as a Democrat. Even if the criticism is valid.

Yeah this whole strategy is dumb. Why is he trying to court Mississippi voters? There's no chance he'll win it if he get's the nom. Instead of doing that, he should focus on fixing what caused him to lose the last time, aka the black vote, and trying to defend racist white people sure is an interesting way to go about it.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
If Bernie thinks the path to winning 2020 is through the white vote

Lol

Democrats don't win the white vote. They win by getting everyone else out to vote for them.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If whites in Mississippi choose to vote against their racism in favor of Bernie's progressive policies that would be a good thing right? It doesn't fix racism but it's a step towards a future where people don't vote based off of their racism.
Are you sure they're voting for his policies? Like, really really sure?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Sure but expecting them to vote for him over Trump is a hilarious situation and failing to court the black vote in the state means he would lose more than Obama lost in 2012 so

Prodigal Son

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Trolling, History of Similar
"MAYBE IF I STICK MY EARS IN MY FINGERS AND YELL LOUD ENOUGH THE TRUTH WON'T BE THE TRUTH."

Well, at least you've got a lot in common with the Trump voters in MS you're defending.
actually they're wrong about Mississippi and im right. 'data' is when i pull from the totality of my anecdotal experiences to make ridiculous claims and other people just have to listen to it. if you disagree with me its because you 'have your fingers in your ears' or some shit idk

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017

Lol

Democrats don't win the white vote. They win by getting everyone else out to vote for them.
The only promising news re: the white vote is that Trump's numbers among non-college white women have been slackening. He'll probably still win them, but by single digits. (Some polls have shown Bidwn winning them.) Even keeping them by a small margin probably dooms him. And of course, he'll do even worse among college-educated whites this time.

But no, Democrats will not win the white vote for reasons well known to anyone with even scant historical knowledge.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Sure but expecting them to vote for him over Trump is a hilarious situation and failing to court the black vote in the state means he would lose more than Obama lost in 2012 so

I mean I don't think he said that Mississippi whites will flip the state for Ds. Just that progressives can do a better job.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
A reminder that this is the flag in Mississippi.

mississippi-flag.jpg
One of many crazy racist things that goes on here. They elected a racist senator.

Hyde-Smith was the favorite in the solidly red state, and the final Senate election of 2018 was long seen as an afterthought. But when video surfaced earlier this month of the senator telling a supporter, "If he invited me to a public hanging, I'd be on the front row," the state's racial wounds were reopened.

Other questions about Hyde-Smith's past also arose: photos of her touring the home of Confederate President Jefferson Davis with a caption that said, "Mississippi history at its best!"; a measure she had once pushed in the state Senate for revisionist view of the Civil War as "The War Between the States"; and news that she had attended an all-white private school like those founded in the South to circumvent integration decrees.

Also this coming Monday I bet there's going to be some holiday for a confederate general or something to offer a reason for some white people that hate MLK to have a vacation off from work. Also next month is going to be some Confederate month, or that may be the month after, I don't keep up with Mississippi's shenanigans.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
For people asking why reading theory helps you understand politics this would be that kind of time.

There are people who are undeniably prone to different forms of bigotry who DO NOT VOTE and could possibly be brought over on class concerns.
At the end of the day not the people in Mississippi but people like them across the country becoming activated is realistically the only way to break the domination of reactionary forces in the many levels of american politics.

Of all the people in the primary who is most likely to listen to and elevate those most dedicated to dismantling the institutional supports of white supremacy.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Bernie's got such a blind spot when it comes to the institutionalized racism of this country and society. He thinks we are better than we actually are, I guess he deserves credit for the optimism.

Oct 27, 2017
Top story: man who wants people to vote for him avoids calling them racist en masse.

The way some people on here don't understand even the most basic of political realities is weird. Do you still think Hilary's deplorables comment was actually a good idea?
Only the people that might have believed themselves to be deplorable made a voting decision on that alone. In other words, deplorables. They were voting Trump all along and garnered sympathy from other trash. Hillary was screwed by an ancient, racist, anti democratic policy. She won the vote.

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017
Golly.

Bernie Sanders shows his ass regarding racial issues.

What a shocking turn of events. This sort of thing never happens, so I'm really surprised. Gobsmacked, even.

Oct 27, 2017

Lol

This isn't the point.

The point is, in a place like mississipi if you can maintain the black vote, then you don't need to win the white vote you just need a little more, another 20% maybe, and you'd turn the state blue.

Are people interpreting this like Bernie want to sacrifice the black vote to win the white vote? Cause he literally says that you can't win the white vote in his statement. Getting 30% is still pretty shit. It's just enough, and realistically possible with effort.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I mean I don't think he said that Mississippi whites will flip the state for Ds. Just that progressives can do a better job.
But why would he think that

I get that you can't blame the voter if you're a politician soliciting votes and you can't claim everyone that votes for the GOP in Mississippi is a racist even though... lol

The most the dems got of the portion of the vote in a presidential election in Mississippi was in 2012 when Obama aggressively courted the black vote there. Why does this keep getting overlooked? The best performance we have from a Democrat since 1976 is with a black man going after the democratic base instead of racists.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
by not providing them healthcare, by pricing them out of higher education and by slowing/stagnating class mobility.

well yeah but for that you have to... campaign. in a way that resonates with... these voters.

Jim Hood ran a solid, well-funded campaign for governor on literally all of those issues you mentioned and lost to Tate Reeves badly. Reeves appealed to those voters by... opposing Medicaid expansion and calling it an Obamacare expansion.

You're blaming Democrats for not providing what Mississippians need when Democrats clearly can't get into power there by running on those issues. I'm all for calling out incompetence, but you're just looking for an excuse to shit on Democrats for something.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
This isn't the point.

The point is, in a place like mississipi if you can maintain the black vote, then you don't need to win the white vote you just need a little more, another 20% maybe, and you'd turn the state blue.

Are people interpreting this like Bernie want to sacrifice the black vote to win the white vote? Cause he literally says that you can't win the white vote in his statement. Getting 30% is still pretty shit. It's just enough, and realistically possible with effort.
What effort can you convince white people in Mississippi to vote against the GOP. It has to be done with non-voters, minorities and the young. Not with people who flock go the GOP in overwhelming numbers because they're bigoted.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you sure they're voting for his policies? Like, really really sure?
What are you implying? They're voting for Sanders because they think he's crypto-racist?
Not sure how this is failing to court the black vote. He's offering big policies that fight against racism as well as policies that directly help the impoverished and the working class, which I'd imagine includes a very large percent of the black residents of Mississippi. I don't think this is about winning verses Trump. It'd be incredible if that were possible, but I think this is more about putting us on the path towards getting white racists to vote against their racism for their own best interests as well as courting the less bigoted whites with policies that help everyone.

Oct 27, 2017
I have no doubt that Bernie normally comes from a "good place" when he puts his foot in his mouth on issues of race and women. The problem is he never seems to FUCKING LEARN!

I'm sure he was coming form a good place when he told Warren that was woman couldn't win. And shit like the statement in the OP is exactly why I have no doubt he said exactly that!

Bernie is, and always was a terrible Candidate. A well meaning one, but fucking terrible.
I'm glad we have a whole bunch of others better. Oh wait...

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Jim Hood ran a solid, well-funded campaign for governor on literally all of those issues you mentioned and lost to Tate Reeves badly. Reeves appealed to those voters by... opposing Medicaid expansion and calling it an Obamacare expansion.

You're blaming Democrats for not providing what Mississippians need when Democrats clearly can't get into power there by running on those issues. I'm all for calling out incompetence, but you're just looking for an excuse to shit on Democrats for something.
I love the first quote lmao. Blaming Democrats on things the Republicans ran for and voted for.