• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
Statement 1: Mississippi is one of the most racist states in the US
Statement 2: Its possible to, with enough effort, increase the number of white dem voters in Mississipi

arent both statements true?

It doesnt exactly ring to me as something particularly controversial

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Don't tell me when to open my mouth, period.
I'll tell you what I damn well please when I damn well please when you're running your mouth about shit you clearly don't know shit about.

You want to know how to make a difference? Campaigning there
Firstly, they do.

Secondly, Sanders literally skipped campaigning in the south after he lost South Carolina last primary.

Thirdly, the fuck's that gotta do with what percentage of Mississippi is racist fucks?

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what am i supposed to be angry at exactly?

I don't think you're supposed to be angry I think you're supposed to scratch your head and think, "hmmm what else is it about Obama that could have created such a disparity? "

He's clearly trying to get their votes by telling them they aren't as bad as other liberals make them out to be. Why does it matter how true or false it is if it is strengthening the democrats position there, and as a result moves racist people out of power and helps remove and reduce institutional racism.

Well theoretically because Mississippi African Americans vote overwhelmingly democratic and if Bernie wins the nomination they may take this underthought statement as a low key insult and reduce enthusiasm.

I'd want to see if Obama also energized white GOP turnout as well as first term enthusiasm for Obama from African American voters - and also what fuckery the Mississippi GOP got up to with voter suppression.

Even the silly 10% number Bernie's thrown out is meaningless without more context for that entire election picture.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
this is the kind of thing you say when you want to try and get racist white people to vote for you. it's like when Biden says that Republicans aren't all bad people.

where does Bernie say racists are good people? you're stretching this a bit sis.

Biden out here on the other hand contemplating possibly picking a Republican VP. give me a break

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
just in this context, these people are a subset of the working class. I agree with you in general, race shouldn't be overlooked I'm sorry to make you feel that was my intent
I appreciate the response, especially since this language seems to be extremely prevalent in discussing issues related directly to white people. When it's time to discuss other ethnic groups people will say the name of the groups. But people, including Bernie, have used working class to describe white people, erasing all non-white people within this class.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Bernie sees society solely through the prism of class and it's surprising to me that this line of attack isn't utilized more frequently by his opponents. He never seems comfortable when talking about minorities and their specific troubles directly.
They don't have to. Biden is destroying Sanders among African-American voters without lifting a finger, and part of it is statements like this. Dude makes everything about class and slams the door on the possibility that the economically anxious Trump voters might actually just be racist.

I don't think you're supposed to be angry I think you're supposed to scratch your head and think, "hmmm what else is it about Obama that could have created such a disparity? "
Just to drill home the point here, Obama got a lower share of the white vote in Mississippi than Kerry. You know, Era's go-to example of a loser Democrat who no one liked?

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
where does Bernie say racists are good people? you're stretching this a bit sis.

Biden out here on the other hand contemplating possibly picking a Republican VP. give me a break
yeah I think this is better than what Biden does. but either way it's better politically to give people the benefit of the doubt then say something like hillary's deplorable stuff.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

Mississippi Officially Abolishes Slavery, Ratifies 13th Amendment

Get breaking national and world news, broadcast video coverage, and exclusive interviews. Find the top news online at ABC news.

"2013"

bVOy6zd.gif

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
what was the good work done by the other guy in mississippi to get all the votes? besides not being black, of course.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
I get what he's saying here. That democrats don't try to compete in the state so its not all racism but man you can't just wash over how racist Mississippi can be. It sounds like he's trying to gloss over the racism. I know that's not his intent but that's how it comes off.

Googleplex

Oct 25, 2017
Is this the part where Bernie supporters come in to Bern-splan why we black folk shouldn't get upset with their Great white progressive savior?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not even a Bernie fan but yes it's getting ridiculous. I would hope most of us here can understand his intent.
The off topic community here is pretty great for calling out bullshit when they see it. Its not fooling anyone and honestly its having the opposite effect intended.
Bernie sees society solely through the prism of class and it's surprising to me that this line of attack isn't utilized more frequently by his opponents. He never seems comfortable when talking about minorities and their specific troubles directly.
Probably because his conception of intersectionality is rooted in class and isn't unique from sects of race scholars who also hold that to be true.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
what was the good work the other guy did in mississippi to get all the votes? besides not being black, of course.
Clearly adopting Bernie's platform of supporting the working class and raising Mississippi out of poverty so that Mississippi could be one of the poorest states.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad this OP, with only a video and "yikes", has fostered deep discussion as intended, and definitely wasn't posted simply to stir shit.

I get what he's saying here. That democrats don't try to compete in the state so its not all racism but man you can't just wash over how racist Mississippi can be. It sounds like he's trying to gloss over the racism. I know that's not his intent but that's how it comes off.
Agreed. This is at least a much better stance than, "Yep.90% are racist." Unless that is seriously the only thing Op wanted us to take out of this.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
By giving them cover on their racism.

here's a thought

maybe by providing people with some of the poorest quality of life in the nation, with a better life, they will have the means to better education, better mental health, happiness, etc.... and probably over time become more tolerant.

there's a reason the most racist parts of the country are often also the most poorest and uneducated.

Sigh, no he's not doing that.

"Our 21-year-old son said the other night, 'I wonder if Joe Biden would consider choosing a Republican as a running mate," the woman added.
"The answer is I would, but I can't think of one now," Biden replied. "Let me explain that. You know there's some really decent Republicans that are out there still, but here's the problem right now ... they've got to step up."

yeah he might not seriously be, but this kind of response is enough of an endorsement.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

Well he did say people who refuse to vote for black politicians aren't racist so that was neat

"I think you know there are a lot of white folks out there who are not necessarily racist who felt uncomfortable for the first time in their lives about whether or not they wanted to vote for an African-American," Sanders told the outlet. "I think next time around, by the way, it will be a lot easier for them to do that."

In fairness he did walk those comments back, which is apparently something you're allowed to do when you're Bernie Sanders.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
his conception of intersectionality is rooted in class and isn't unique from sects of race scholars who also hold that to be true.
Which is fucked up because it was created by a black woman explaining how black women had been excluded from the feminist movement. Shout out to Bell Hooks

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
by not providing them healthcare, by pricing them out of higher education and by slowing/stagnating class mobility.
Agreed. This is at least a much better stance than, "Yep.90% are racist." Unless that is seriously the only thing Op wanted us to take out of this.

Do you know why Mississippi's education is so poor?

Because any time they try to raise the budget you get a bunch of adds saying "You don't want your hard earned money going to Hinds County, do you?"

(Hinds county, FYI, is very black).

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I mean...we really don't think 90% are racist, right?

I don't really believe so no.

But I always wonder what the progressive solution is to white people in impoverished southern states? Ignore them and try to overwhelm their votes at a federal level with votes from the coasts? Just stop campaigning there forever and let it go Republican in perpetuity? Or do we get super extreme and start asking ourselves if we should just cut some states out of the union?

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
here's a thought

maybe by providing people with some of the poorest quality of life in the nation, with a better life, they will have the means to better education, better mental health, happiness, etc.... and probably over time become more tolerant.

there's a reason the most racist parts of the country are often also the most poorest and uneducated.

"Our 21-year-old son said the other night, 'I wonder if Joe Biden would consider choosing a Republican as a running mate," the woman added.
"The answer is I would, but I can't think of one now," Biden replied. "Let me explain that. You know there's some really decent Republicans that are out there still, but here's the problem right now ... they've got to step up."

yeah he might not seriously be, but this kind of response is enough of an endorsement.
This response has been the bog-standard type of response to this question in American politics forever. It means nothing, it's a polite answer to a silly question.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not getting the sense that posters are creating "hit threads" for Bernie or other candidates. People see a piece of news that they find worthy to discuss. Stepping away from my online communities, no one I know is finding the recent news of candidates to feel unwarranted. I feel like a lot of energy is going into the click-rate economy to get people online to furiously discuss topics without actually trying to influence new voters.

The exception would be how CNN handle questions soon after releasing an article that, if I'm understanding correctly, is still being uncovered.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They don't have to. Biden is destroying Sanders among African-American voters without lifting a finger, and part of it is statements like this. Dude makes everything about class and slams the door on the possibility that the economically anxious Trump voters might actually just be racist.

Just to drill home the point here, Obama got a lower share of the white vote in Mississippi than Kerry. You know, Era's go-to example of a loser Democrat who no one liked?

I already typed a question about enthusiasm and voter manipulation that should make it obvious that 10% is meaningless without the entire context - a fact which might harm or help Bernie's argument but that isn't disposable.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
This is historically backwards. Racism shredded the national social safety net and put us where we are now in the first place.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lots of white racists in other states voted for Obama, what's the difference between those states and Mississippi?

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
A dem presidential candidate winning Miss is at least a generation away, maybe 2. Here's to hoping for more dems on the state and local level, but if you are a dem lucky enough to win in Miss you are going to be siding with the GOP tons, so, Bernie is right in that we need to focus a lot more on messaging of policy.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
here's a thought

you mean when all Republicans need to do to cut programs and funding is to advertise to the state that Black people also use X and Y services?

and the white voting population of the State agree with republicans and vote accordingly?

how is Bernie going to solve this phenomenon?