• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 41638

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
User Banned (permanent): dismissing bigotry, history of similar behavior
If Joe Rogan's massive normie fanbase got behind Medicare For All that'd be pretty cool.

Here's the problem, you could probably get a lot of them on board, which means hundreds of thousands if not millions more people supporting MFA. But there are still plenty of purists that would rather dismiss Rogan and all his fans as bigots. And this purity bullshit is a big reason why we have a hard time in elections. I get it, we all need to be much more woke and PC but lets focus on teaming up to get that fat orange blob out of office first, then we can work on the other stuff.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Rogan has an army of dumb guy followers who are probably largely apolitical in their voting patterns. You can try to entice them to engage in decent politics, or leave them to rot.

It's kind of amazing how liberals would rather have problematic, compromised politicians than a potentially efficacious electoral coalition with some problematic members.

Because the fucking coalition votes in the people who share their views on things like transwomen in sports or simply getting surgery/hormone therapy.

Rogan cited a study that showed that "gender affirmation" surgery led to "considerably higher risks for mortality, suicidal behavior, and psychiatric morbidity than the general population."

Conover responded by pointing to lower rates of gender dysphoria and improved sexual relationships after the transgender surgeries.

"Right, before they killed themselves, everything is awesome?!" Rogan responded.

"We're in this weird fantasy world right now where people want to be so progressive and they want to be so open-minded and they don't want to be transphobic. So we're letting people say and do absolutely preposterous things," .... "But you're competing against women? You can go f— yourself,"

Sooooooo sorry for not wanting someone like Rogan in the political sphere of the Democratic Party!

You people are fucking beyond transparent and I'm done trying to be civil when people are so blatantly transparent in their two face bullshit.

Deleted member 60096

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2019
Here's the problem, you could probably get a lot of them on board, which means hundreds of thousands if not millions more people supporting MFA. But there are still plenty of purists that would rather dismiss Rogan and all his fans as bigots. And this purity bullshit is a big reason why we have a hard time in elections. I get it, we all need to be much more woke and PC but lets focus on teaming up to get that fat orange blob out of office first, then we can work on the other stuff.
Rogan is a bigot. Period. His fans range from Nazis to centrists that are "apolitical" and if they end up as leftists good for them. If they are bigoted along the way we should be allowed to call them out just like we should be able to call out Rogan without libs telling us we have to accept bigots without question as part of our movement when they display no understanding of it apart from wanting free weed.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine being upset that someone you don't like is supporting your candidate. Rogan's a hateful dumbass, but if his endorsement gets his dumbass followers to vote Bernie then I'm all for it.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Why is this time different
Because Bernie's coaltion simultaneously insists he is legitimately without any problematic behavior because of his voting record while handwaving away problematic campaign individuals, statements, and endorsements he has made since campaigning for President.

The difference is the delusional inability of Bernie fans to say he isn't perfect as if this is a complete and total indictment of his campaign and ideas. Someone already admitted they would've been madder had Biden run the same ad, but- good golly gosh- it's fine with Bernie. Just as well, the black people most offended by Joe Rogan's racism are already well aware that Democrats- and white leftists in general- ain't really shit, and that we vote for reasons largely related to self-defense.

The difference, ultimately, is that hardcore Bernie fans aren't willing to make that concession because they've convinced themselves he's perfect, and they will easily and consistently dismiss the concerns of minorities to maintain that image.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Imagine being upset that someone you don't like is supporting your candidate. Rogan's a hateful dumbass, but if his endorsement gets his dumbass followers to vote Bernie then I'm all for it.

The issue is that Bernie's team essentially endorsed Rogan by highlighting him and his vote.

There was a much better, quieter path.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The plan is to defeat Trump. Everything else is secondary.

Endorsing Bernie doesn't make him less shitty. If he can convince more people to vote for Bernie and defeating Trump, I'm all for it

Bernie Sanders making ads for Joe Rogan endorsing him literally makes Sanders shitty. This wouldn't be an issue if Sanders just ignored Rogan "endorsing" him.

Vixdean

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's funny, it's taken almost 4 years but probably around the last week or two I was finally coming around to the old Bern. Time heals all wounds they say and I was finally ready to forget about 2016. Ah well, you are what you are I guess.

WonderBoyd89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Democrats need a large base to take on Trump and remove him from office.

Joe Rogan and other people you don't like will be part of that coalition. I don't know why some people can't accept that? Especially as we know that other people wanting the Democratic nomination have clambered to be on Joe Rogan's podcast.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Believe it or not most of Rogan's listeners are Democrats. Era is kind of weird with their hate of him and Bill Maher. Yeah they say some dumb shit and have some shit guests but ultimately they're on our side.

If they're mostly Democrats, why are so many people who approve of this move from Bernie saying that we have to be worried about them staying home or voting for Trump?

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Cuz she's wasn't a great candidate?

You'll get no defense of Hillary from me. I still say call out the never trumpers for their bad takes and shittyness.

I have no problem with people who have been 100% consistent on this, I also think ultimately the Bernie campaign shouldn't have ran the tweet, but I can't help but feel most of the people showing consternation on social media about this are the same people who retweet the latest "woke" Bill Kristol or Rick Wilson take.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Joe Rogan and other people you don't like will be part of that coalition. I don't know why some people can't accept that?
Because no other candidate has a following that will say on one hand that "my candidate isn't in any way racist" and on the other say "Well, it's okay for him to run an endorsement by a racist."

WonderBoyd89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (permanent): Dismissing bigotry, account in junior phase
Because no other candidate has a following that will say on one hand that "my candidate isn't in any way racist" and on the other say "Well, it's okay for him to run an endorsement by a racist."

Rogan isn't a racist. He says some dumb things. But he's not a racist.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Why are people acting like it's the endorsement that people are upset about? Bernie can't control who endorses him and the endorsement undoubtedly helps him, but when he made an ad out of it, he was telling marginalized people that their concerns and ultimately safety aren't as important as spreading to his followers that he got the coveted endorsement of a bigot. It's something he didn't have to do. Rogan already made the quote and it was being spread among his fanbase. This ad was unnecessary and hurtful.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Democrats need a large base to take on Trump and remove him from office.

Joe Rogan and other people you don't like will be part of that coalition. I don't know why some people can't accept that?

Rogan cited a study that showed that "gender affirmation" surgery led to "considerably higher risks for mortality, suicidal behavior, and psychiatric morbidity than the general population."

Conover responded by pointing to lower rates of gender dysphoria and improved sexual relationships after the transgender surgeries.

"Right, before they killed themselves, everything is awesome?!" Rogan responded.

"We're in this weird fantasy world right now where people want to be so progressive and they want to be so open-minded and they don't want to be transphobic. So we're letting people say and do absolutely preposterous things," .... "But you're competing against women? You can go f— yourself,"

Hmmmmmm wonder why

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
You know- it's really sad to see the figureheads at the other end of the political spectrum openly and brazenly fighting for xenophobia, corruption and the creation of a corporate slave state while we on the left tear ourselves to shreds over a handshake that didn't happen and Joe Fucking Rogan.

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
I think it is a good thing that Bernie went on Joe Rogan's podcast, a young and impressionable audience, and got to talk for over an hour about his platform with almost no interruption and no appeasement. 11 million views on Youtube alone. And the retweet of the endorsement which came 6 months after the podcast seems to be proof he can reach out to this large impressionable audience and actually leave an impression. I am sorry this makes people feel personally attacked. I just believe we need to have hope that you can have discussions with people and forgive people and help them see other ways of doing things. Not saying forgive Rogan necessarily but just think it would be a bad idea to shun that giant audience.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

'So I look at the iPhone app and it says, take me to this [movie theater]. The guy goes, "OK,", I go, "is that in a good neighbourhood?" He says, "yeah, yeah, yeah," he barely speaks English.

'He takes us there, we get out and we're giggling, "Oh, we're going to see Plant of the Apes." We walk into Planet of the Apes… we walked into Africa, dude. 'We walked in the door and there was no white people.'

Joe Rogan

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
You know- it's really sad to see the figureheads at the other end of the political spectrum openly and brazenly fighting for xenophobia, corruption and the creation of a corporate slave state while we on the left tear ourselves to shreds over a handshake that didn't happen and Joe Fucking Rogan.

It's not about tearing ourselves apart. It's about telling Sanders to do better. Hard to do if his hard core supporters don't acknowledge his mistakes.

DeadlyVirus

Oct 29, 2017
No I get it, I'm actually thinking and using my brain instead of spitting out mindless dribble because you clearly can't fucking read.

No you don't get it and you're not using your fucking mind. Mindless dribble? Did you even read what you wrote? Do you need to be remembered of how Hillary lost in 2016? Your comments are truly baffling

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's funny because considering mods/admins banned posting content from Joe Rogan and defending Rogan's bigotry would so easily be bannable, it's like free passes have been given out this entire thread ignoring and defending Rogan and those who take his endorsements!

Oct 25, 2017
The difference is the delusional inability of Bernie fans to say he isn't perfect as if this is a complete and total indictment of his campaign and ideas. Someone already admitted they would've been madder had Biden run the same ad, but- good golly gosh- it's fine with Bernie. Just as well, the black people most offended by Joe Rogan's racism are already well aware that Democrats- and white leftists in general- ain't really shit, and that we vote for reasons largely related to self-defense.

If this is aimed at me then yeah, I give shorter shrift to someone who in 2019 was proud to brag about his time working with and befriending segregationists.

He's pretty racist.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Because Bernie's coaltion simultaneously insists he is legitimately without any problematic behavior because of his voting record while handwaving away problematic campaign individuals, statements, and endorsements he has made since campaigning for President.

The difference, ultimately, is that hardcore Bernie fans aren't willing to make that concession because they've convinced themselves he's perfect, and they will easily and consistently dismiss the concerns of minorities to maintain that image.

It's really weird to see this characterization of Bernie supporters given that the appeal of Bernie to many of us is not that he's perfect (he's not) but that he's the only candidate running who can be pressured to move left when he fucks ups. Everyone else running is demonstrably able to be pressured rightward.

Rogan fuckin' sucks, fwiw.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Essentially.

How many times do we have to see people state this before we get it?
5435782ab30c1.image.jpg

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No you don't get it and you're not using your fucking mind. Mindless dribble? Did you even read what you wrote? Do you need to be remembered of how Hillary lost in 2016? Your comments are truly baffling

You literally didn't read what I wrote, because the issue is Sanders is signal boosting a fucking transphobic, homophobic racist by making ads about his endorsement from said person when the clear easy path regarding "courting" people like Rogan was to fucking ignore Rogan and let him do his own thing.

But instead of reading what I wrote, you're creating a fantasy post about how I'm not going to vote for the nominee because of an endorsement while bringing up 2016 for some stupid reason.

Jan 15, 2020
User Banned (3 months): dismissing bigotry, account in junior phase
clapping%2Bhands.gif

Let's decide who to vote for. Warren is my pick.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Don't think we're going to get much more transparent than this.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
"Centrist Democrats? Scum of the earth"

"Joe Rogan and his transpobia and racism? New Ally"

Just another day on OT ERA.

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't watched a second of this guy's podcast; like I don't know what he even sounds like. I'll take the accusations of transphobia at face value, and I'm severely disappointed Sanders might inadvertently be boosting that.

Otoh, I've seen the numbers this guy does. I know people from college aged dude bros to soccer moms that tune in to listen to this guy (yes really). Is it the biggest podcast in the world? If it is then it's impossible to deny that votes can be swayed by this endorsement. I hope you all realize that whoever makes it into the general will GLADLY wave around any Republican endorsements they might get, and that includes Warren.

If Joegan can be used as a stepping stone to getting trans people better treatment and hormone therapy under Sanders, this might be a net positive. I'm not trans though so I would never scold trans people who are upset by this.

And let's not act like touting someone's endorsement is the same as embracing all their views, else Warren stans are in for a rude awakening.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
It's very disconcerting to see people shush the very people Rogan's stances are harmful to telling you why this didn't have to happen.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Between Rogan, Clinton, Gervais and Chapelle it's funny seeing people flip-flop around transphobia depending on how much they like a politician or comedy skit/moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.