• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
to people who are upset that Bernie is getting a bit dirty, reminder that the host of The Apprentice has the nuclear launch codes.

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017
I think everyone realises that in order to win national elections you have to build coalitions which will include people who act in problematic ways/have problematic beliefs. Trying to reach these people is a good thing, but lifting up their figureheads and promoting them is not a good thing.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
If you want to support someone who provides a platform for bigots and grifters then that's your choice. But don't act shocked when people think a certain way about you when you do. If you support terrible people then people are gonna look at you a certain way.

Buckle up friendo, a lot of shitty people will feel the Bern before this is all said and done.

And that's a good thing, no?

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Sanders went on his show, challenged him on his bigotry and actually produced left wing arguments against Rogan's casual transphobia, racism and other common white "bro" dude drivel.

Sadly I think there is a venn diagram of alt-right voters and Bernie stans that overlaps quite a lot and his campaign research team and leaders know that. Bernie probably has no clue who Rogan is or was, but someone in his campaign (awful people running Sanders 2020 TBH) probably was.

I would like to once again remind everyone Joe Rogan had Ben Shapiro on several times.

There's a great supercut Vic Berger did of Rogan defending himself against being alt-right or alt-right enabling (on friggin Info Wars too) and Berger just cuts in all the images of the dozens of alt-right guests he's had on.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you want to support someone who provides a platform for bigots and grifters then that's your choice. But don't act shocked when people think a certain way about you when you do. If you support terrible people then people are gonna look at you a certain way.
I guess I'd argue that he seems to provide a platform to everyone under the sun - he had Bernie on after all, didn't he?

I don't act shocked anymore when people choose to see the world in a binary fashion, it's just too bad is all.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think everyone realises that in order to win national elections you have to build coalitions which will include people who act in problematic ways/have problematic beliefs. Trying to reach these people is a good thing, but lifting up their figureheads and promoting them is not a good thing.

It's really that fucking simple but people can't help themselves but endlessly defend every single decision Sanders makes as some type of genius level move.

The criticism is fucking simple, don't make ads from shitty people endorsing you. Problem fucking solved.

Deleted member 60096

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2019
Oh, did I miss when was he cancelled on here?

You disagree with his take?
I disagree with him pretty consistently. Anytime marginalised groups get upset about something, it doesn't matter how valid the complaint, he's basically always there to explain how they have to sit the fuck down and embrace the bigots or else its their fault if the left doesn't win the election

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Joe Rogan is one of the most popular personalities in america. No shit bernie will gladly take his endorsement. People need to get off there high horses and get some perspective.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'd argue that he seems to provide a platform to everyone under the sun - he had Bernie on after all, didn't he?

I don't act shocked anymore when people choose to see the world in a binary fashion, it's just too bad is all.

So you're ignoring the actual racist and transphobic things Rogan has said? Or are you arguing saying racist and transphobic things doesn't make one a racist and a transphobe?

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, and it wasn't necessary anyway. How many people on Twitter who care found out about the endorsement from the ad and not from all of the other people posting the endorsement days ago?

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Buckle up friendo, a lot of shitty people will feel the Bern before this is all said and done.

And that's a good thing, no?

Ah yes, I can't fucking wait to be hearing the argument of "social issues don't matter when you're not getting minimum age" a whole lot more from people feeling da burn!

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
If you need to attack someone else to defend your position on a candidate of your likings actions, then you're not actually doing anything other than deflecting.
I didn't attack Hillary. It's just normal that she was also endorsed by people who are not popular in the left bubble. You won't win the presidency if you are only endorsed by people like Michael Moore and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree with him pretty consistently. Anytime marginalised groups get upset about something, it doesn't matter how valid the complaint, he's basically always there to explain how they have to sit the fuck down and embrace the bigots or else its their fault if the left doesn't win the election
Sadly that is so common i am shocked when i see some one go Tim Wise.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Pragmatism for me, purity tests for thee.

Funny how much slack Bernie gets versus everyone else.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all were real quick to say that the endorsement of a man who called black women like me gorillas is worth it.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't really have much of a problem with Bernie going on Rogan's show, and I certainly don't blame Bernie for being endorsed by Rogan. I think cutting an ad about that endorsement is dumb and bad, though.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Not if we're throwing minorities and disenfranchised people under the bus!

As long as these media personalities aren't part of the cabinet and decision making process, I don't feel it's that impactful to see them support him? Other than helping him win by being positive about him to their shitty fanbases?

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As long as these media personalities aren't part of the cabinet and decision making process, I don't feel it's that impactful to see them support him? Other than helping him win by being positive about him to their shitty fanbases?
Challenge their shitty, racist, sexist, trans-phobic behavior would be a start.

Deflecting by saying "well do you want Trump to win" isn't a great look.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissing Concerns Around Bigotry
Believe it or not most of Rogan's listeners are Democrats. Era is kind of weird with their hate of him and Bill Maher. Yeah they say some dumb shit and have some shit guests but ultimately they're on our side.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

And that is what makes him terrible. Not everyone deserves a platform. Not everyone should get to talk.

Bigots and grifters like Alex Jones and Ben Shapiro shouldnt be given such large platforms to spread their particular brand of prejudice and misinformation. And by readily providing them that platform Joe Rogan is actively participating in giving them and their views a level of legitimacy that they have no right to have.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So would everyone be ok if Biden starts dropping ads in targeted areas of Rogan being blatantly racist and then showing the tweet of Sanders accepting his endorsement from said person?

Or is that too unfair?

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
Has Bernie watered down his progressive or left wing policies to appeal to the right?

Oh come on. You know this is a bad take.

Nah, he is. Rogan is terrible.

taking an endorsement from someone many think is a racist could be considered watering down your progressive values. Progressive values don't just consist of economic policy.

If Bernie feels like going on Joe Rogan helps him, god bless him...go for it. I just find it funny that the same people defending it would be going through the roof if Warren or Biden did the same thing.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Challenge their shitty, racist, sexist, trans-phobic behavior would be a start.

Deflecting by saying "well do you want Trump to win" isn't a great look.

Can you point me to the last time a politician not simply ignored an endorsement deemed problematic, but actually when on the offensive and challenge their shitty views on the national stage? Wouldn't that be giving disproportionate power to the talk show host, and take the focus away from the campaign platform?

Shit sucks.

I don't care that he went on the show to turn active listeners, but why even make this an ad?

Yeah, making an ad out of it is the weird part to me.

Like, what person who isn't a Rogan listener would be impressed by that? Tactical error for sure.

Nox

Dec 23, 2017
Between this and the ableism drama , some people on the left have really shown their asses.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you point me to the last time a politician not simply ignored an endorsement deemed problematic, but actually when on the offensive and challenge their shitty views on the national stage? Wouldn't that be giving disproportionate power to the talk show host, and take the focus away from the campaign platform?
No because generally you get endorsed by people who share your views.

Hence why this entire thing is...vexing.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I'm no fan of Rogan but he's always struck me as someone who is pretty disconnected from politics and doesn't really have any strong opinions on anything other than legalizing weed. Hence why he'll have far-right cuntwads like Milo and Jordan Peterson on and in the same breath have far-left guys like Bernie on.

Note he said he'd vote for him "in the primary". California has open primaries where no matter what party you are (or if you're independent) you can vote in the primary. He very likely could be still planning to vote for Trump in the general. Strangely there seems to be a lot of overlap between Bernie and Trump supporters mostly on issues of isolationism. That might be why Bernie is probably the only one of Trump's potential opponents he hasn't given a derogatory nickname to...he's just "crazy". And he's even stuck up for the guy in tweets in the past.

Jun 10, 2018
Y'all were real quick to say that the endorsement of a man who called black women like me gorillas is worth it.
And excuse my language - these same motherfuckers have the AUDACITY to question or silence black constituents who don't want to compromise the vote for MORE anti-blackness. Or worse yet - try and gaslight the most consistent Democratic voting block for the ills of Trump/shitty election results if there's even a miniscule percentage drop in support.

Unreal.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Bernie should be singing about this endorsement from the mountaintops if he's trying to win the votes of Rogan's fan base.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
No because generally you get endorsed by people who share your views.

Hence why this entire thing is...vexing.

So why didn't Hillary challenge every Never Trump shithead who backed her in 2016 for the fact that they tormented marginalized communities for decades?

This feels a lot like picking and choosing when to get mad.

Sep 12, 2018

I do have to wonder if this Rogan endorsement will lead Bernie's critics to suddenly care about transphobia after propping up politicians who have been shown to give so much less of a shit about the LGBT community than Sanders has.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So why didn't Hillary challenge every Never Trump shithead who backed her in 2016 for the fact that they tormented marginalized communities for decades?

This feels a lot like picking and choosing when to get mad.

Cuz she's wasn't a great candidate?

You'll get no defense of Hillary from me. I still say call out the never trumpers for their bad takes and shittyness.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There is irony in the constant criticism of the left regarding the state of the current Democratic party "weaponizing" ID-Pol... and then handwaving away Sanders flaunting an endorsement from Joe Rogan and deflecting it with "WE GOTTA BEAT TRUMP" while ignoring the very undeniable and indefensible racist/trans/homophobic shit that has come out of his mouth.

nomemorial

Oct 27, 2017
If it's any consolation, I know a ton of right-leaning Libertarians that eat, sleep, and breathe Rogan's stuff (not people I engage with frequently, but this is the era of old high school/college acquaintances on social media) and Bernie's episode made them all seem think of him in a relatively positive light compared to the weird blind, seething hate they felt towards him before.

I don't get down with Rogan, but I do think there is value to pointing some people "closer to the center" leftward. Not sure it's the best move to be framed in an endorsement of Rogan himself, but the comment asking whether this would gain more votes than it would lose? I'd argue it's more likely the former.

Status
Not open for further replies.