• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldtones

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (permanent): Dismissing bigotry, previously banned for the same
Calling Rogan a bigot is so weird. Anyone who actually listens to him knows that is not true.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
I really don't want to see any of you people handwaving this away bitching about having to vote for the lesser of two evils come November. If it's okay to boost racists and transphobes, then you don't really have the high ground to complain about having to vote for whoever the dem candidate is.

uhm it's the transphobe boosting Bernie but do go off

Oct 25, 2017
the purpose of the Rogan visit is precisely for Bernie to be "rehabilitated" with Rogan's audience, but apparently that just never happens

I didn't read it that way. The first tweet was an illustration for the potential electoral benefits of the endorsement, and maybe some overly hopeful sentiments about Rogan's ability to funnel people in a more positive political direction.

The second tweet I think was just a nice dig on the msm with regard to platforming and rehabilitating shitty people even more Rogan's show does. A la:
but enough about the NYT editorial board

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I really don't want to see any of you people handwaving this away bitching about having to vote for the lesser of two evils come November. If it's okay to boost racists and transphobes, then you don't really have the high ground to complain about having to vote for whoever the dem candidate is.
Fuckin this.

I'm voting for whoever the fuck ends up being the Dem candidate, but that doesn't mean I have to be happy about the normalization of shitlords like Rogan. The age of Trump is fucking terrible and continues to lower standards across the board.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One valid criticism I often see of Biden (and establishment Democrats broadly) is that they shouldn't reach out to conservative critics of Trump, because doing so will necessarily water-down what should be a progressive agenda

If you believe that, do you also fear the consequences of Bernie crafting an untraditional coalition that potentially includes MAGA and MAGA adjacent voters? If not, why not?
Biden has a long history of pandering to bigots with actual policy. Bernie went on Rogan and didn't do anything to pander to his audience. His policies remain extremely progressive on all fronts.

If Bernie started changing his positions not to scare off racists, or rather, directly pander to them, it would be different.

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
are we taking random tweets as proof now?
Rogan said it. On you whether you believe him I guess. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERTHdLiEXtc
She didn't make a video about him endorsing her. I'm glad we're at the part where we go "BUT LIZ WANTED TO DO IT TOOOO!!!!!!!" like children.
You're right. Because he didn't endorse her. If your gripe is just with the tweet using the video, then I get it. But you made it sound like you also had issue with even trying to speak with a "transphobe for more votes", which is what I was addressing.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
I would hope Rogan would say he is voting Biden if Biden gets the nomination. I hope everyone with an audience will say who ever the dem nominee is, is getting their vote. I also hope Rogan gets educated on trans issues, I really don't think he has ever had someone on that would give him the reality that these people have to live in. Instead every time he talks about trans people it usually goes back to stupid low-hanging jokes.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Fuckin this.

I'm voting for whoever the fuck is the Dem candidate, but that doesn't mean I have to be happy about the normalization of shitlords like Rogan. The age of Trump is fucking terrible and continues to lower standards across the board.

listen it's okay to signal boost guys who says being around black men and women as being in "Planet of the Apes" so long as some middle class white men and women can get free health insurance while working at Walmart and not have to worry about paying their student loans for their philosophy degree.

kittenbreath

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Biden has a long history of pandering to bigots with actual policy. Bernie went on Rogan and didn't do anything to pander to his audience. His policies remain extremely progressive on all fronts.

If Bernie started changing his positions not to scare off racists, or rather, directly pander to them, it would be different.

The costs of maintaining an electoral coalition aren't often paid up-front

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018

I mean I'm not particularly enthused to vote for Rogan either frankly

Oct 25, 2017
Calling Rogan a bigot is so weird. Anyone who actually listens to him knows that is not true.
No, he's a bigot. Seeing clips is enough to deduce that; don't need to listen to him regularly like you appear to.

listen it's okay to signal boost guys who says being around black men and women as being in "Planet of the Apes" so long as some middle class white men and women can get free health insurance while working at Walmart and not have to worry about paying their student loans for their philosophy degree.
Oh this is something

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Rogan said it. On you whether you believe him I guess. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERTHdLiEXtc

You're right. Because he didn't endorse her. If your gripe is just with the tweet using the video, then I get it. But you made it sound like you also had issue with even trying to speak with a "transphobe for more votes", which is what I was addressing.

No, I don't, necessarily think it's a good idea to talk to Joe Rogan. But whatever. Making a video about how proud you are of his endorsement is fuckin' gross, and just affirms, to me, that not voting for Bernie is the right decision. He'll throw me under the bus to win the presidency. Who's to say he won't do it again the next time he wants to win something?

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe we challenge the ignorance and hateful shit Rogan gives a platform to while genuinely trying to rehabilitate his fucked up intolerant view of the world. I think Bernie and democrats are capable of doing that. Problem is they're not willing to. Nothing wrong with political expediency... just rings hollow when the guy endorsing you is doing it in spite of some of the views he holds that go unchallenged.

Would love to see this endorsement thing lead to Bernie going on Rogan's show and call him out on his bigotry. But I doubt that would happen. Bernie really does need to step it up and take a minute to stop talking about social programs, and make it clear that he will fight for minorities and marginalized people.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
User Banned (1 month): dismissing transphobia

Can someone actual document that, cause yes I'm an idiot and I'm not sure what people are getting at.

I do know he's very against trans athletics, but as far as i know thats where the line stops and everything else is kosher. Is that a deal breaker in the trans community?

He literally just had on a gay powerlifter for a 3 hour session and seemed chummy. Has he ever had a trans guest on?

daschysta

Mar 24, 2019
No, I don't, necessarily think it's a good idea to talk to Joe Rogan. But whatever. Making a video about how proud you are of his endorsement is fuckin' gross, and just affirms, to me, that not voting for Bernie is the right decision. He'll throw me under the bus to win the presidency. Who's to say he won't do it again the next time he wants to win something?
I respect how you feel, but Bernie has not changed a single iota of his policy to gain this endorsement.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
I am not that person though. You can do better than just linking a link, especially with a set of issues that are incredibly important to trans, enbies and gnc folks.

*shrugs* going through both pages, Warren has much more to say about LGBTQ rights than Bernie does, and I feel like her response, and plan, is more comprehensive, and thought out, while Bernie just seems perfunctory, like something he has to do, rather than something he actually cares about.

I respect how you feel, but Bernie has not changed a single iota of his policy to gain this endorsement.

Do I wait till he changes his policy before I get angry, then? Please, cisplain to me when I can angry.

kittenbreath

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
can't wait for Bernie to change his position to appease *checks notes* Joe Rogan
But they're always advertised up front. Bernie's been pretty damn clear on his platform and there is no bigotry in his policies.

Presumably Bernie wants to build an electoral coalition that would outlive his own presidency, and would elect Democrats up and down the ticket, otherwise his talk of political revolution would ring hollow

Again, what are the costs of maintaining such a coalition in the long term, including post-Bernie?

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this point, I'd vote for Wendy, Ronald McDonald or the Burger King just to get Trump out.

Bernie cuddling up to popular bigot #3 is just par for the course in 2020.

Whoever the Dem nom is better win...

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
his ideals are awful. he's reaching out to Republicans because they agree on very bad things. Bernie isn't compromising w/ Joe's shittier takes

I'm not sure there's really a huge difference here, both of these situations the candidate is trying to win by dealing with some shitty people. Whether you think Rogan is as shitty as the average Republican is another thing entirely.

There is room for nuance: "hey it's really great Bernie's ideas got in front of so many people but it's unfortunate that it took going on Joe Rogan's podcast when he's known for introducing people to real shitty people."

Edit: Also I sideeye anyone using the term 'leftist', I mostly hear it from alt-right assholes when they call leftists 'beta cucks' and the like.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Would love to see this endorsement thing lead to Bernie going on Rogan's show and call him out on his bigotry. But I doubt that would happen. Bernie really does need to step it up and take a minute to stop talking about social programs, and make it clear that he will fight for minorities and marginalized people.
That's the problem with having candidates that are all old as fuck white folks. At the end of the day, they are incredibly out of touch.

I yearn for the day we get a Presidential contender who is younger and a true progressive. Can we just elect AOC as soon as humanely possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.