• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So my main pick is Bernie but jesus christ to anyone that doesn't think this is a completely unnecessary fuckup.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So my main pick is Bernie but jesus christ to anyone that doesn't think this is a completely unnecessary fuckup.
The debate is a lot of us don't feel this is a fuck up. I can understand why people would be upsset over this, but I feel this is overall a boon for Sander's election chances.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Is Rogan's transphobia based on the times he has talked about a trans woman fighting in the UFC against CIS women and referring to her as a man?
He hasn't just talked about it. He's yelled about how its is basically a "man fighting a woman". In addition to that he's spread bullshit about children trans care spreading lies that it chemically castrates them and its mutilation. He's a terrible, horrible person when it comes to this shit.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
Once again, you are not onto something.

Your conspiracy theory sounds exactly like Trump and Republican conspiracy theories justifying voter suppression. It's not smart, and isn't based on the reality of how people vote, and what they do.

it's not a conspiracy theory to suggest that a bunch of former Republican voters, deliberately choosing to vote in the Democratic primary to "own the libs," are not actually that likely to go ahead and vote for that candidate when they are actually up against the Republican they voted for already lol

as I said, what gives you the idea they will actually vote for Bernie in the general

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which "this" do you mean? Getting an endorsement, or signal-boosting Rogan on Twitter and elsewhere?
The endorsement. I really don't see why Bernie advertising he got the endorsement of a HUMONGOUS podcast host is such a big deal. Its not like he's making Joe a cabinet member or some shit. I don't like Joe either, but there's somethign to pay attention to when the fact that this is generating 10 times the amount of buzz that endorsement from the NYTimes gave, which was laughed at and did nothing for Warren and Klobacher

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The debate is a lot of us don't feel this is a fuck up. I can understand why people would be upsset over this, but I feel this is overall a boon for Sander's election chances.
He's promoting an endorsement from a guy you can't event endorse on this site because he's such a shitbag! The fuck are you doing dismissing these people's reactions?

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's promoting an endorsement from a guy you can't event endorse on this site because he's such a shitbag! The fuck are you doing dismissing these people's reactions?
I literally just said "I understand why people would be upset over this." Its okay to disagree on if this is a good political move or not. Look at the Staff post. It says it right there.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
Who is advocating for the prioritization of bigots? The Bernie Sanders campaign, who is supported by a majority of women and people of color?

Sorry, are you saying most women support Sanders, or are you saying Bernie's coalition is majority women and people of color?

And just who are these bigots? JRE is ranked 1st or 2nd any given day on podcast charts. It gets 200 million downloads every month. You couldn't prove a majority of these people are racists and transphobes even if you tried.

Why are they listening to a racist transphobic podcast

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like it but if it can help stop republicans from controlling the oval office for another four years, I'll deal with it.

Give him all the idiot endorsements if it helps him overcome Biden and stop Trump.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I literally just said "I understand why people would be upset over this." Its okay to disagree on if this is a good political move or not. Look at the Staff post. It says it right there.
You added a "but' right after it dude. "I get why people are upset over transphobia and racism but" And don't bring in the staff post when I'm following it just fine. Otherwise report me.

DadsBoyfriend

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (permanent): Excusing Bigotry; Ignoring Staff Post; Account in Junior Phase.
Rogan a bigot? Have any of you ever even listened to him or just regurgitate what your told?

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The same reason Warren and Biden tried to get booked on it, apparently, because it has an insane demographic spread. One episode might be Joe showing his ass with another comedian and doubling down on all of his -isms, but another might have on Matt Taibbi or Dr. Cornel West or Robert Downey Jr.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Feels like a necessary evil. Trump happening shows that impressionable morons is a large enough demographic that I'd rather they be persuaded than left to let things continue.

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Medicare for All accommodates gender reassignment surgery, so it's great that Joe and presumably some number of his transphobic audience will be voting for him. Bernie hasn't given an inch to that crowd (for many reasons, but also because they still won't make up any significant portion of his base), so it probably isn't something worth worrying about. People interested in seeing Trump out of office should be really happy, in fact!

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
So it seems the consensus is that Rogan is a flaming shit bag with a large audience that Bernie should definitely leverage, because winning is the only goal and this is what savvy politicians do.

I just want to be perfectly clear so when the goal posts are eventually moved the next time someone in his orbit craps on the proverbial rug, we can skip the recriminations and just link back to this post.

Exactly. Are all of these people seriously going to say with a straight face that if Warren had retweeted an endorsement from Rogan it would be no big deal because a win is a win?

syndicalist

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, are you saying most women support Sanders, or are you saying Bernie's coalition is majority women and people of color?

The latter.

Why is white supremacy a dominant ideology in western culture? Why is transphobia such a dominant trend? Most people aren't thinking about these things, especially when they consume media. This is the shit we have to deal with, and casting aspersions in favor of engaging in politics with the fraction of people we can reach isn't the solution.

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Oh yeah I don't think he should either. It'd alienate the Rogan people and cause backlash against the very people that Rogan's policies hurt. That doesn't mean we should make excuses. He can do better moving forward.

and, anyway, most of the people really mad about this already hate Bernie, so it isn't like he has anything to lose. Getting someone like Joe Rogan on board with Sanders is a huge boon to progressive causes precisely because of all the reasons people find him problematic.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017

syndicalist

Oct 25, 2017
That is true of every single candidate running for president, including Donald Trump.

Of course, but the conversation was about a very specific and silly assumption.

probably because a lot of people are racist and transphobic and a bunch of other people are always ready to say no actually they aren't

so we should engage with some of the people who argue the latter! right! you get politics.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
and, anyway, most of the people really mad about this already hate Bernie, so it isn't like he has anything to lose. Getting someone like Joe Rogan on board with Sanders is a huge boon to progressive causes precisely because of all the reasons people find him problematic.

No. A lot of the people who are mad about this are the marginalized groups that Rogan has directed his bigotry toward. You can't handwave away this unforced error as salty anti-Bernie people.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
Of course, but the conversation was about a very specific and silly assumption.

Right, and since your statement is true of every candidate, including Donald Trump, it does nothing to dispel that assumption. Would you say Donald Trump is obviously not prioritizing bigots, since his coalition is majority women and people of color?

It's interesting that you took the revelation that your statement is meaningless so in stride. Did you know that the statement is meaningless when you attempted to offer it as devastating evidence?

so we should engage with some of the people who argue the latter! right! you get politics.

That's what I'm doing, with you, right now. Stop covering up for racists and transphobes. You're making the world worse!

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Rogan a bigot? Have any of you ever even listened to him or just regurgitate what your told?

He's still pretty open about regurgitating transphobic garbage about athletics and puberty blockers for teens. Sanders may not be compromising his principles by going on the show but let's not act like Rogan is some intellectual marvel or a shining beacon of hope for the future. He's just a bulkier Howard Stern

Jan 2, 2018
User Banned (1 Month): Trolling and Dismissing Bigotry; Ignoring Staff Post
For the people who are out of touch, what's wrong with Joe Rogan? I read some info in this thread but he sounds like an oke guy?

syndicalist

Oct 25, 2017
Right, and since your statement is true of every candidate, including Donald Trump, it does nothing to dispel that assumption. Would you say Donald Trump is obviously not prioritizing bigots, since his coalition is majority women and people of color?

Does Donald Trump have a platform that is specifically designed around remuneration for marginalized and underprivileged people? Does he have a history of supporting anti-racist and queer and trans causes?

That's what I'm doing, with you, right now. Stop covering up for racists and transphobes. You're making the world worse!

Who's covering who now? Ah, nevermind. We should engage only with those who have our very specific set of beliefs. The rest of the electorate, those nebulous masses swimming in ideological contradiction should never be engaged, should never be offered clarification. Progress sprouts from the flowers and the trees. Wonderful news.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
For the people who are out of touch, what's wrong with Joe Rogan? I read some info in this thread but he sounds like an oke guy?
Excluding his wealth and fame he is about as regular a dude for his age that I can think of. That includes his racism and transphobia. Doesn't mean those aspects of him aren't shitty but the take that he is some kind of extremist says more about how much of a bubble some people are living in.

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
No. A lot of the people who are mad about this are the marginalized groups that Rogan has directed his bigotry toward. You can't handwave away this unforced error as salty anti-Bernie people.

Lmao way to assume that I have no skin in the game either (I'm Latino and my wife is Iranian). Personally, as someone who hates Joe Rogan and basically agrees with everyone in the thread that he sucks, the dude has a huge audience of impressionable men. It's an extremely good thing for basically any marginalized person in this country if Bernie gains votes from transphobes/bigots/whatever because he is doing so without budging an inch on his insanely progressive platform. I swear to god, I have an annoying/maddeningly apathetic childhood friend who swears byJRE and has already registered as a democrat to vote in the CA primary. That's a great thing!

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao way to assume that I have no skin in the game either (I'm Latino and my wife is Iranian). Personally, as someone who hates Joe Rogan and basically agrees with everyone in the thread that he sucks, the dude has a huge audience of impressionable men. It's an extremely good thing for basically any marginalized person in this country if Bernie gain votes from transphobes/bigots/whatever because he is doing so without budging an inch on his insanely progressive platform. I swear to god, I have an annoying/maddeningly apathetic childhood friend who swears byJRE and has already registered as a democrat to vote in the CA primary. That's a great thing!

I didn't make any assumptions. I stated the truth. Read this thread or check twitter to see how many trans and black people thought that this was unnecessary and potentially dangerous to signal boost someone like Rogan.

Edit: I'll just add again that this was an unforced error. Rogan made the endorsement, Sanders could have let it be. Rogan would have spread it among his fans himself. But Sanders chose to put the concerns of those affected by Rogan's bigotry aside to capitalize on the endorsement. He didn't need to do it. The endorsement would have helped him without the ad.

Last edited:

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He gets shitty people on his podcast and instead of debating them and challenging them to expose how shitty they are, he does not not care and the guests actually get more fans due to being exposed them. Basically he gives them a platform.

It remains to be seen how Bernie handles this. If he can actually get a lot of these people to vote for him and change then what he did would be a good thing. Joe Rogan would still suck at the end of the day. He is a useful tool to people wanting exposure. Hopefully this time it actuslly get used for good instead.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
Does Donald Trump have a platform that is specifically designed around remuneration for marginalized and underprivileged people? Does he have a history of supporting anti-racist and queer and trans causes?

It's interesting that you edited out my question to you as to whether you were being deliberately deceptive, and changed the subject to avoid admitting that your original statement is meaningless and carries no weight.

Deified Data

Oct 28, 2017
Not a Rogan fan but I'd take his endorsement over NYT with their history of racism, anti-Semitism, warmongering, etc. If I had to pick one that has turned more minds to regressive thought it would be them. I believe Warren and Klobuchar should rebuff their endorsement, personally.

syndicalist

Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting that you edited out my question to you as to whether you were being deliberately deceptive, and changed the subject to avoid admitting that your original statement is meaningless and carries no weight.

It's interesting that you edited the statement in after I replied. Or while I was replying. Or maybe that's just as innocuous as my missing it. No gotchas here.

In any case, it's a silly question. It wasn't meant as devastating evidence, only to challenge the assumption that Bernie would be trade his hard-earned support for whatever my compatriot was imagining. The thought was incomplete and underdeveloped. I'm sorry to you, my dear pigeon, that I didn't clarify the thoughts for your specific ruberic.

someday

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, it's incredible to me that the Democratic platform and candidate is now being decided by more asshole men and y'all think that's ok. And that some of y'all are so quick to cast aside the actual minorities who vote in every Democratic election because white men's votes are more important than ours. This is the primary, not general election. Bringing a group of men who already wouldn't vote for a woman or person of color doesn't help people like me, a black woman. That's why many of us don't trust Sanders or his supporters. How can I expect him to put my interests on the table once he's in?

Edit - and by asshole men, I mean Rogan fans.

Oct 26, 2017
Biden has said bigoted things and has bigoted supporters, will we reject his endorsement if Bernie wins the nom just so we can feel good about ourselves?

Deified Data

Oct 28, 2017
Ugh, it's incredible to me that the Democratic platform and candidate is now being decided by more asshole men and y'all think that's ok. And that some of y'all are so quick to cast aside the actual minorities who vote in every Democratic election because white men's votes are more important than ours. This is the primary, not general election. Bringing a group of men who already wouldn't vote for a woman or person of color doesn't help people like me, a black woman. That's why many of us don't trust Sanders or his supporters. How can I expect him to put my interests on the table once he's in?

Edit - and by asshole men, I mean Rogan fans.
Personally I'm choosing to vote how the majority of POC voters are choosing to vote in the primary and voting for the Rogan-backed candidate.

Claris

Oct 29, 2017
It's fun being trans and knowing that your wellbeing is only important when it's convenient for others.

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
it's not a conspiracy theory to suggest that a bunch of former Republican voters, deliberately choosing to vote in the Democratic primary to "own the libs," are not actually that likely to go ahead and vote for that candidate when they are actually up against the Republican they voted for already lol

as I said, what gives you the idea they will actually vote for Bernie in the general
I'll mention it a third time. You are not on to something. This isn't a smart idea, and sounds like it could come right out of a Republican's mouth if you just exchanged a few words.

Americans don't really vote. IIRC Only 50 percent of the country does. So much research has gone into trying to find mass groups of people committing voter fraud. The always come empty handed. Republicans desperately want to stoke fear that the opposite side is cheating in mass. All they need is one example. It never happens.

Republicans, on the other hand, have the craziest, most fanatic base. Surely they must be committing voter fraud, or some type of super strategic voting, in huge numbers? After all, the democrats are crazy baby killers. Best example I could find is Rush Limbaugh's "Operation Choas." It was his effort to get Republican voters to vote for Hillary in '08 primary because Obama was leading. Yadayadayada. Who cares. It was dumb. Point is, nothing came of it. I tried to find articles that talked about its effect. Couldn't find any that brought it up, after it was first announced though. No one cared. I finally found an article published years after '08.: https://www.researchgate.net/public...Evidence_from_Rush_Limbaugh's_operation_chaos
Person seems legit. Found it had no impact.

Now, Trump's supporters are a special variety. Even then, the most I could find are very isolated cases of Trump voters voting twice because R's scared them with propaganda: https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...d-voting-twice-trump-pleads-guilty/459718001/
In the end, nothing is notable.

Point is, people don't troll vote. People don't even strategically vote. People don't go out of their way to do anything. They can barely get up to vote the normal way, much less follow any plan to "own the libs".

If the craziest, most dependable voters on the planet (because they do vote every time) NEVER do shit like this, why the hell do you think Joe Rogan's uninspired base is gonna do anything remotely like you suggest? Why do you think they would walk all the way out to Iowa in below freezing weather just to "own the libs", and caucus for Bernie Sanders. These people don't even feel like their votes matter, let alone that trolling for them will matter.

The most boring, yet correct answer, is, if a Joe Rogan fan votes for Bernie Sanders in a primary, they are gonna vote for him in the general election. Because that's what everyone does.

Status
Not open for further replies.