• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I disagree whole heartedly. Biden hid behind a far more conservative Democratic party in the 70s-90s. That doesn't absolve him of going with the flow. His record is pretty fucked up if you scrutinize it.
You disagree with his voting record relative to the entire Congress and the Democratic party at large?

So we're just not fucking with facts then, I guess.

Nov 2, 2017
You disagree with his voting record relative to the entire Congress and the Democratic party at large?

So we're just not fucking with facts then, I guess.

Looking at Biden's voting record is the wrong way to go about this. Biden's voting record is down the middle because by the time it's time to vote and the things are settled, he often bends and goes along when public opinion is not on his side. The right thing to do is to look at what he advocates from the start of the process, not where he ends up when it's time to cast a vote. That's fairly consistently conservative (by the modern definition).

Last edited:

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
No. Because nobody believes he's going to cut either.
A lot of people don't believe it's republican politicians would make cuts to them either because it sounds so extreme, and probably a lot don't believe Obama proposed, but you better believe that Republicans want to do it, and the democrat who really wants to work with republicans and has a history of statements supporting those cuts will do it too.

Biden's blatent lies about the video being "doctored" should be proof enough he wasn't exactly making those statements just to gain support. It's what he wants to do. He just knows that in the course of this campaign he has to talk about expanding them instead of cutting them if he wants any shot at winning.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The 2018 video is him making the point of "Paul Ryan is right, to pay for these ridiculous tax cuts, you'd have to cut social security"

I'm also just really confused at the disconnect between Bernie's camp and Bernie himself. All of Bernie's paid staffers are going after Biden but Bernie himself kind of refuses to do so at all? What is the plan here?

But after that Biden goes on to say

'Now, Paul Ryan is right, we do need to cut Social Security and Medicare'

And suggests cuts based on income levels. He then goes on to list a bunch of stuff he'd do such as
progressive taxation overhaul and says

'And then you raise enough Revenue that Social Security can stay. With adjustments, but it can stay.'

Adjustments is Washington lingos for cuts. His own proposal, to reduce support based on income rates, is by definition cutting those programs.

It's incredibly hard to credibly divorce Bidens earlier statements to suggest that he wasn't in favor of the proposal to cut those programs. This is consistent with his position for decades.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking at Biden's voting record is the wrong way to go about this. Biden's voting record is down the middle because by the time it's time to vote and the things are settled, he often bends and goes along when public opinion is not on his side. The right thing to do is to look at what he advocates from the start of the process, not where he ends up when it's time to cast a vote. That's fairly consistently conservative (by the modern definition).

Exactly this. Biden is only as progressive as the world forces him to be.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No way your opinion on this can change in 10 years so late in your life.

You can't shake this off.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Can't believe the Biden campaign went for fake news on this one, there's so much footage of him out there saying they need to cut social security and Medicare.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
No way your opinion on this can change in 10 years so late in your life.

You can't shake this off.
This would be a very different conversation if he said his past comments were wrong and he'd never put those cuts on the table again.

Instead he's trying to do the same two faced approach of emphasizing support for expansion in a vacuum and supporting cuts as a necessary only option, depending on the day.

He should be asked if social security and medicaid cuts would ever be on the table in budget negotiations with republicans.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Sanders loves going all in on the attacking knowing damn well he's never going to be the nominee. Then he will play the same card he did in 2016...he'll play the reluctant support of the nominee while his supporters go Bernie or nothing.

I can't stand US politics. These election cycles are too damn long.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Bernie's smart enough to know that he absolutely isn't winning and Biden likely is, and that video of him criticizing Biden will be weaponized by Trump and a chunk of his primary supporters will vote for Trump, just like what happened in 2016.

The problem is that Sirota kept attacking Hillary in the general last time. He's not a team player.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Sanders loves going all in on the attacking knowing damn well he's never going to be the nominee. Then he will play the same card he did in 2016...he'll play the reluctant support of the nominee while his supporters go Bernie or nothing.

It's a primary and he's trying to win based on policy. He has championed these programs for decades.

Wasn't Bernie in the lead according to a Reuter's/Ipsos poll from like yesterday? Where is this "he'll never be the nominee" coming from?

Oct 30, 2017
It's a primary and he's trying to win based on policy. He has championed these programs for decades.

Wasn't Bernie in the lead according to a Reuter's/Ipsos poll from like yesterday? Where is this "he'll never be the nominee" coming from?
People are trying to write the narrative so maybe it will come true. Convince enough people that someone can't win and then it starts becoming true.

its implying that before Iowa, we all have to be United by a front runner and cannot talk about the records of these candidates.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
Would be nice if we actually got debate questions of such topics, that way we could have a discussion that doesn't involve a mess of a social media/article compelations to the point that I don't even know what to think.
A debate, which gives a fucker like Biden an opportunity to put his best foot forward, isn't required to expose him.

Exposing him through social media and articles ensures that they'll have a harder time hiding the truth from the masses. These videos are real and Biden really does not give a fuck about the common person's best interests.

Deleted member 15125

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What exactly is the "Vote Blue no Matter Who!" crowd going to do if Sanders is the nominee considering how much they seem to dislike him?

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if people understand a primary is a competition where only one person can win, and that it is completely fair to highlight an opponent's very public record.
I honestly don't understand what people think candidates in a primary's suppose to do if even highlighting an opponents records is somehow out of bounds.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

But Bernie supporters voted for Clinton in fact they voted more Clinton the. Clinton own supporters did for Obama in the 2008 election

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

The phrase is usually coupled with the idea that he'll never be the nominee in their minds in the first place, so ends up being stated as fact. When, as you pointed out, Bernie has been topping polls lately.

What exactly is the "Vote Blue no Matter Who!" crowd going to do if Sanders is the nominee considering how much they seem to dislike him?

I foresee a lot of masks coming off around that time, but I genuinely believe that the majority of Dems will go for the Dem nominee, just like 2016. It is more of a question of voter turnout - 40% of registered voters didn't show up in 2016 - and that will greatly depend on the platform and ideals of whichever candidate is nominated.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"Woah woah woah, don't talk about my record, that's below the belt"

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
You don't bring up this stuff in a primary, what you are supposed to do is you just don't mention it and let Trump blindside you with it in a general election

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Democrat leaning Boomers need to see this shit playing over and over. They all believe Biden is the best choice, but when it's made clear that it's their benefits on the line, they'll have a harder time with supporting him. Voting for Biden is a vote for Republicans, whether he loses the general because he isn't a viable candidate or somehow wins and puts almost all progressive measures on hold long enough for Republicans to take the White House and continue their regressive tirade

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see Bernie going in on Biden. A little late in the game to begin pointing out the lowlights of Biden's record, but it's good that people get to see this shit aired.

Now if we could just get the Warren campaign to join in! Abnormally dissonant behavior from a campaign increasingly desperate to position itself as a ride-or-die ideological ally here. I guess their sharpened political calculus has determined there are better leads to follow. 🤔

En Avant

Alt account
Banned
Dec 28, 2019

They will accuse him of anti-semitism, demand he step down because he's "unelectable", and then vote for Bloomberg when he runs 3rd party.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I don't get this narrative that Bernie is more Democrat when he's not a Democrat.

That quote is taken out of context, once again. David Sirota being toxic shit to the Democratic party. Wonder if he'll post shit articles against Biden during the general like he did with Hillary. Garbage person.
I dunno.
It's a frustration when people are either unwilling or unable to realize what the democratic party is.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Can someone tell me where this fear that candidates earnestly campaigning for a nomination and highlight their opponent's flaws and records will lead to disaster comes from? There this obsession of "unity" and "not attacking fellow Democrats" to the point that even highlighting very public records and votes is somehow seen as a "dastardly attack" that should be frowned upon all for the sake of unity. What is a candidate in a Democratic primary suppose to do to help differentiate themselves from their opponent? What do people think a primary is suppose to be?

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Can someone tell me where this fear that candidates earnestly campaigning for a nomination and highlight their opponent's flaws and records will lead to disaster comes from? There this obsession of "unity" and "not attacking fellow Democrats" to the point that even highlighting very public records and votes is somehow seen as a "dastardly attack" that should be frowned upon all for the sake of unity. What is a candidate in a Democratic primary suppose to do to help differentiate themselves from their opponent? What do people think a primary is suppose to be?

There is a perception Sanders mortally wounded Clinton in the 2016 primary.

Kill Jester

alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2019

Damn. Crazy to be so disconnected from reality.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's never been about unity. It was always about loyalty to the same old neoliberal status quo. Which is shared more in comon with conservatives.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whenever somebody says that they're being dishonest. Everyone is fine attacking people they don't want, it's only when you turn to the person that they want that suddenly unity is needed.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And the lesson from that is any sort of attempt to differentiate your self from your opponent in a primary is an "attack" that shouldn't be encouraged?

I mean take a step back and assess the claim in the post you quoted, because it's absolutely insane

But to answer your question: that's the apparent lesson, yeah!