• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dultimate

Oct 27, 2017
Why has gentrifying become such an issue lately? It seems to be ubiquitous. Maybe if we can figure out why then we can start reversing course.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Bold move.

Why has gentrifying become such an issue lately? It seems to be ubiquitous. Maybe if we can figure out why then we can start reversing course.

People with means like to live near where they work in hip well off neighborhoods, in major cities. These individuals can afford to spend more because they or their parents have money, at least in the US.

Oct 25, 2017
Weird as it may seem but this is fucking me over big time. Because landlords are picky as all fuck with this coming up.
You mean government intervention into markets can have unintended consequences? I'm shocked!

The other side of this is that government regulations make it so that luxury condos are the only profitable segment of that market. Case In point is California and SF in particular.

Environmental laws are being used to full effect by many NIMBYs. It doesn't make sense to have lengthy environmental reviews on an asphalt parking law in the middle of a downtown core.
Yep. If you raise the barriers to providing new housing then you're only encouraging targeting the high end.

It is quite strange how we agree that free market healthcare and private healthcare companies are a disaster, but expect the private industry and real estate corporations to save us with housing.

It's not expecting the private sector to save anyone, it's understanding how the government can and cannot control or reshape human behavior. They can make housing issues in their cities better or worse. Rent control at best is squeezing a balloon and shifting costs, they don't disappear.

Guy.brush

Oct 27, 2017
"In many cases rent control appears to be the most efficient technique presently known to destroy a city—except for bombing."​

Well to be real here, it was actual bombing and the results of WWII that are still felt to this day in terms of renting prices.
Berlin like so many of Germany's big cities was reduced to rubble and German government had to quickly build housing after the war to get all the refugees a home. A lot of German families lost everything in the war, they had to start from nothing.
Sadly the government often resorted to using building companies and handed of responsibility to the private sector which resulted in Germany having the lowest home owner ship rate and "highest average percentage of gross monthly income paid on rent" in all of Europe. In German cities it is well past the 40% point and 30% is what is deemed as a maximum healthy.

This is a problem 75 years in the making. It could very well be Germany's Yellow Vest movement if nothing is done.
There also should be real estate investment tax for foreign investors buying up houses and flats, if not straight up limits to the number one entity can own.

Last edited:

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
Read this article and tell me with a straight face that rent control is a good thing

When New York State's legislature passed a bill strengthening rent controls on apartments in June, New York City mayor Bill de Blasio crowed that the legislation "will halt displacement . . . and keep working families in the homes they love." Yet one of the biggest eras of displacement in Gotham's history happened decades ago because of rent control. Enacted during World War II, controls squeezed landlords unable to increase rents for maintenance, repairs, and fuel prices until owners began abandoning buildings by the thousands during the late 1960s, driving out middle-class residents, stranding the poor in deteriorating apartments, and creating immense tracts of poverty in formerly stable blue-collar neighborhoods.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
Read this article and tell me with a straight face that rent control is a good thing

When New York State's legislature passed a bill strengthening rent controls on apartments in June, New York City mayor Bill de Blasio crowed that the legislation "will halt displacement . . . and keep working families in the homes they love." Yet one of the biggest eras of displacement in Gotham's history happened decades ago because of rent control. Enacted during World War II, controls squeezed landlords unable to increase rents for maintenance, repairs, and fuel prices until owners began abandoning buildings by the thousands during the late 1960s, driving out middle-class residents, stranding the poor in deteriorating apartments, and creating immense tracts of poverty in formerly stable blue-collar neighborhoods.

Like any policy it can be done badly, I think it has to be coupled with easing other restrictions to housing growth like zoning and building heights to work. One without the other is just another way to entrench disparity and trap low income residents in poor housing they can't afford to leave

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Like any policy it can be done badly, I think it has to be coupled with easing other restrictions to housing growth like zoning and building heights to work. One without the other is just another way to entrench disparity and trap low income residents in poor housing they can't afford to leave

Unfortunately this isn't how it's working out. Passing rent control laws is a headline grabbing move and more often than not a cynical move on the civic leader's part. It's good short term to ease tensions from many voters but it will likely hurt in the medium and long term.

Look at California as the current example. They passed rent control statewide last year yet the other bill that would have eased restrictions near transit lines statewide failed spectacularly last week. It's the third time it has done that.

trunx81

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
First time I have ever read someone describe Berlin as the most anti-semitic city in Germany. Any reasoning that you say that?

A friend of mine does social after school work here in Neukölln specifically looking at descrimination and noticed how deragtory stereotypes about "jews" (who these people of course never met) are used by youth of turkish and arabic (various) descent. Yet that describes only one facet of the population of Berlin...

IDK, not too comfortable with someone describing Berlin that way.

Actually the statistics. 1083 cases of antisemitism in Berlin alone in 2018. Source

Additional fun fact: Berlin is also the city with the highest Syphilis rate.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
that's great now you just have to build more housing
rent control only helps the people who have a place to rent

This. Spend those five years building a massive amount of housing to drive the price down even more and legislate Airbnb so they can't steal all the new construction and you might have a solution. Cities all over the world need to be building UP as fast as possible and fixing their infrastracture to facilitate carless living to handle more people living in high rises.

Masquerader

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rent_regulation#Economics

Rent control is a highly contested measure and all the "poor landlord" takes in here are juvenile and short-sighted as fuck. You guys should stop browing chapo. If anything, the consensus is that it doesn't work as intended.

It should be part of a greater increase in housing being built, but... What is your alternative suggestion then?

Besides, why don't the landlords just get a job~? Couldn't have happened to a more deserving and lazier group of people.

Oct 27, 2017
I never thought to think this was happening on a global scale. Does it also have a racial component in other countries?

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Hostility; Prior Related Infractions
It should be part of a greater increase in housing being built, but... What is your alternative suggestion then?

Besides, why don't the landlords just get a job~? Couldn't have happened to a more deserving and lazier group of people.
Stop all the cringe landlord rhetoric, stop browsing economically clueless tankie subs like chapo and breadtube and stick to what economists say. Listen to the experts, like we kept telling all the Brexiters. You need to build more. Fixing the price does the opposite - it disincentivizes building. I won't repeat what you can find with a single google search. Economists have exhaustively studied rent control and the concensus is crystal clear. Honestly, I sometimes use rent control as a way to probe how one arrives at their decisions. If you are in favor of it, I know for a fact you've never read a study on it or have any clue of its ramifications. Makes me wonder whether your other political views are as thinly founded.

Last edited:

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
I can finally stop giving a fuck about this because I found a flat with only 11 days left on the clock before I would've been out on the streets. That was some nerve wrecking shit.

Seriously I don't wish this shit on anyone. It's worse than applying for jobs which I didn't think was possible.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
I can finally stop giving a fuck about this because I found a flat with only 11 days left on the clock before I would've been out on the streets. That was some nerve wrecking shit.

Seriously I don't wish this shit on anyone. It's worse than applying for jobs which I didn't think was possible.

Same for me, but in Lisbon.
Found a flat for 700 euros (which is quite pricey here), and it will only be available on 1 April and I had to pay 6 rents in advance.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
I wonder if landlords will just keep their properties empty.

I don't know about Berlin specifically, but big cities with similar problems are full of empty units. The whole problem is housing as real state investment. There are other ways of cracking this.

Kotze282

Oct 27, 2017
0a6e50e8bd112bba7964957c144cb957

Good. I live in a Vonovia flat for which they tried to raise the rent but then fortunately lost the court case, though not in Berlin. The situation in Germany right now is terrible, with companies willingly worsening living conditions to drive out economically weaker tenants. They covered my house in a curtain for a year for supposed renovations, which actually only took a couple of weeks (I just cut a hole in it where my windows were, but I think other tenants literally couldn't stosslüft for months). They purposefully take their time fixing things like hot water or internet. They scare people into paying fraudulent bills because they are scared of losing their place to live. It's a prime example of capitalism being abused if left unchecked.

Ahhthe90s

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
oh dear those poor landlords. How will they profit endlessly for contributing nothing to society?
You think landlords don't contribute an insane amount of municipal land transfer tax and yearly land taxes?

I freaking love Era's wild take sometimes, yes, let's all blame everything on the rich.

If governments are raising municipal evaluations, thus increasing yearly taxes, why should the landlord pay for it and not the renter?

Deleted member 11985

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just did some math and I was paying 21% of my income to rent when I first moved to the Washington DC area 4 years ago. I've had $10k worth of raises since then, but my rent has increased $300/month, so I'm now paying 22% of my income to rent today.

The more depressing part is I'm looking around for a new apartment now, and all the prices have risen the same in every other apartment building. I could probably get $100 off my rent by moving to a new place, but that's it.

Freaking blood sucking landlords. I can't even comprehend how people who only make minimum wage manage.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Stop all the cringe landlord rhetoric, stop browsing economically clueless tankie subs like chapo and breadtube and stick to what economists say. Listen to the experts, like we kept telling all the Brexiters. You need to build more. Fixing the price does the opposite - it disincentives building. I won't repeat what you can find with a single google search. Economists have exhaustively studied rent control and the concensus is crystal clear. Honestly, I sometimes use rent control as a way to probe how one arrives at their decisions. If you are in favor of it, I know for a fact you've never read a study on it or have any clue of its ramifications. Makes me wonder whether your other political views are as thinly founded.
There is no building in Berlin right now anyway as there is no space and no one is interested in building high.

zou

Oct 29, 2017
I just did some math and I was paying 21% of my income to rent when I first moved to the Washington DC area 4 years ago. I've had $10k worth of raises since then, but my rent has increased $300/month, so I'm now paying 22% of my income to rent today.

The more depressing part is I'm looking around for a new apartment now, and all the prices have risen the same in every other apartment building. I could probably get $100 off my rent by moving to a new place, but that's it.

Freaking blood sucking landlords. I can't even comprehend how people who only make minimum wage manage.

just fyi, but your math doesn't work.

$10k > $3600 (12x $300)

Masquerader

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Stop all the cringe landlord rhetoric, stop browsing economically clueless tankie subs like chapo and breadtube and stick to what economists say. Listen to the experts, like we kept telling all the Brexiters. You need to build more. Fixing the price does the opposite - it disincentivizes building. I won't repeat what you can find with a single google search. Economists have exhaustively studied rent control and the concensus is crystal clear. Honestly, I sometimes use rent control as a way to probe how one arrives at their decisions. If you are in favor of it, I know for a fact you've never read a study on it or have any clue of its ramifications. Makes me wonder whether your other political views are as thinly founded.

I absolutely can and will blame greedy landlords as one of the leading causes for high rents. Out of reach housing for the poorest in society due to high rents as set by landlords are a leading cause of homelessness and I'm all for increased Social Housing instead. Sorry if that touched a nerve though!

I'm allegedly from the UK, where there was rent control in the private sector for over 6 decades, before Thatcher ended it and homelessness started to become a big thing again. I merely need to look at the realities of what letting a status quo of rapidly escalating rents has caused for the vast majority of people, who ultimately devote larger and larger chunks of their income towards rent which becomes unsustainable, prices people out of certain locations, etc.

And, I'm absolutely more dedicated and certain of the validity political views than you could ever be.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
I love how you resort to calling out subreddits you don't like, even though you don't know if he browses reddit or not. All this just because he doesn't like landlords. L O L

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
You think landlords don't contribute an insane amount of municipal land transfer tax and yearly land taxes?

I freaking love Era's wild take sometimes, yes, let's all blame everything on the rich.

If governments are raising municipal evaluations, thus increasing yearly taxes, why should the landlord pay for it and not the renter?
Imagine thinking that paying taxes is a worthwhile justification for being a landlord.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
i like how you easily can spot the psychopaths in here

build more affordable housing is a pretty simple solution, not getting angry about rent control.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I don't think they will do much for AirBnb, but Golden Visas won't be granted anymore for Lisbon and Porto metropolitan regions anymore starting in 2021.
thank god.

I found it ironic that Portugal was letting Oligarchs from Dictator Countries buy out all properties in Lisbon while the regular citizen is getting pushed out into the suburb periphery

They give tax breaks to Rich People from Dictatorship Countries but they don't give tax breaks to Portuguese Citizens who pay shitload of taxes

it's fucked up

(I'm Portuguese-Canadian, and I find it so strange that the Portuguese government bends over backwards for rich foreigners but keeps on taxing the shit out of citizens who making minimum wage)

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
thank god.

I found it ironic that Portugal was letting Oligarchs from Dictator Countries buy out all properties in Lisbon while the regular citizen is getting pushed out into the suburb periphery

They give tax breaks to Rich People from Dictatorship Countries but they don't give tax breaks to Portuguese Citizens who pay shitload of taxes

it's fucked up

(I'm Portuguese-Canadian, and I find it so strange that the Portuguese government bends over backwards for rich foreigners but keeps on taxing the shit out of citizens who making minimum wage)

Yeah, and it's even more bizarre because prices are skyrocket but there's lots of buildings in bad shape in Lisbon (and Porto), which is pretty sad.

They'll also tax some of the foreigners (I guess 10%), but still not even close compared to what they do to the average citzen.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Yeah, and it's even more bizarre because prices are skyrocket but there's lots of buildings in bad shape in Lisbon (and Porto), which is pretty sad.

They'll also tax some of the foreigners (I guess 10%), but still not even close compared to what they do to the average citzen.
then the stupid government doesn't understand why young Portuguese leave Portugal for other EU countries or the UK

I am not coming back to Portugal (to live) until I reach retirement age.
It's a lose lose situation working there as a Portuguese citizen

Ovaryactor

Nov 20, 2018

Rent control is a highly contested measure and all the "poor landlord" takes in here are juvenile and short-sighted as fuck. You guys should stop browing chapo. If anything, the consensus is that it doesn't work as intended.

Anyone who has taken a basic economics course know this is a really poor decision.

Current Economists for the most part are so f'd based on the mainstream teachings of those who have come before them...

The article the 2nd person posted is a clear defense of those looking to lose out on the initial profit from rent control.

Get a real job!

The idea that paying taxes makes it okay to charge rent, without giving any tangible value in the world, meanwhile people are scoffing at the idea of govt. intervening in markets because you " deincentivize " building private, profit producing structures...

It's very clear what's at play here for folks looking at this from the angle of rent control as a negative.

Several other posters have detailed what would need to follow it for it to work so stop being disingenuous.

Ahhthe90s

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Current Economists for the most part are so f'd based on the mainstream teachings of those who have come before them...

The article the 2nd person posted is a clear defense of those looking to lose out on the initial profit from rent control.

Get a real job!

The idea that paying taxes makes it okay to charge rent, without giving any tangible value in the world, meanwhile people are scoffing at the idea of govt. intervening in markets because you " deincentivize " building private, profit producing structures...

It's very clear what's at play here for folks looking at this from the angle of rent control as a negative.

Several other posters have detailed what would need to follow it for it to work so stop being disingenuous.
I have a real job, in fact I have two jobs and I have to deal with tenants on top of it.

I welcome you to get into property management and then think of it as not being a real job. What fucking nonsense, Jesus Christ.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just wondering.
So all the expert economist are wrong because this time you don't like their finding?

Btw fuck landlord, as i'm a renter but that don't change the facts.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ach Berlin. Was ist Berlin? Berlin ist die Stadt für die man sich als Deutscher auf internationaler Bühne schämen muss. Wenn man Berlin mit anderen europäischen Hauptstädten wie London, Paris, Madrid und Amsterdam vergleicht, treibt es jedem anständigen Menschen die Schamesröte ins Gesicht. Selbst kleine Länder wie Österreich, Belgien oder die Schweiz haben mit Wien, Brüssel und Zürich international vorzeigbare Städte mit hoher Lebensqualität. Deutschland ist gestraft mit Berlin, der Hauptstadt der Versager.
Finally someone wrote something that's correct

i hate the fact thatI'll have to move to Berlin in 4-4 years. Trash bin of a city

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
As someone who is a landlord, good!

Rent has become absolutely insane for the most part in a lot of major cities.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Weird as it may seem but this is fucking me over big time. Because landlords are picky as all fuck with this coming up.

These people know what's up.

Ary F.

Oct 30, 2017
Ach Berlin. Was ist Berlin? Berlin ist die Stadt für die man sich als Deutscher auf internationaler Bühne schämen muss. Wenn man Berlin mit anderen europäischen Hauptstädten wie London, Paris, Madrid und Amsterdam vergleicht, treibt es jedem anständigen Menschen die Schamesröte ins Gesicht. Selbst kleine Länder wie Österreich, Belgien oder die Schweiz haben mit Wien, Brüssel und Zürich international vorzeigbare Städte mit hoher Lebensqualität. Deutschland ist gestraft mit Berlin, der Hauptstadt der Versager.
habe ich gerade gelesen copypasta?

Sorry for my rough German, Ich als kind gelernt.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
You know I never spent much time away from Berlin and once you accept its shortcomings and learn to deal with its eccentricities it can become kind of charming in an abusive kind of way.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These people know what's up.
I mean yeah, I live in Berlin, I had this discussion numerous times in 2019, which is why I had to read up on it as I don't adopt policy positions unless I have at least a vague understanding of them. A standard clearly too high for many in this thread. I don't even understand how some of the guys in this thread arrive at their conclusions. We literally got a guy here implying economics as discipline is biased and therefore untrustworthy. How does someone like that argue with a Brexiter, who will claim the same thing? Do you or don't you trust the sciences? And if not, how do you decide which economic policy to adopt?

Only 2% of the economists polled by the IGM believe rent control has a positive effect "over the past three decades on the amount and quality of broadly affordable rental housing in cities that have used them."