• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
i think i laughed more playing this with friends last night than i have in a long time

word of mouth is going to continue to fuel this game's success

Oct 25, 2017
it's now #7 on Twitch, but maybe it's more american-oriented?
People always hype up first day twitch numbers but in terms of tracking visibility on twitch it's usually more important to see where it is like 4 days or a week out. Does it disappear from the top games and come back, does it disappear and never returns but it has a consistent viewer base, things like that.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the problem here is MS, it is the part of the community that screams bloody murder as soon as a studio wants to try something outside their usual wheelhouse (Bleeeding Edge, Grounded, Sea of Thieves...)

How many Forza, Halo, Gears titles have MS pumped out? Don't forget all the canceled new IP's

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
I think this game gave me arachnophobia
I had the same thought playing yesterday, that this game isn't for everyone, sadly.

news.xbox.com

Exploring Grounded’s Arachnophobia Mode - Xbox Wire

Grounded, the new survival game from Obsidian Entertainment is available tomorrow on Xbox Game Preview with Xbox Game Pass and Steam Early Access. In the game, players wake up in a suburban backyard after being mysteriously shrunken to the size of an ant. Guided by a strange robot voice named...

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Doesn't every human on planet earth have a Microsoft account at this point?

I still use my old Hotmail account for Xbox stuff.

Yes but mine is connected to my business account so I won't risk ever using that one (hotmail lol, I even have MSN 20 years + old) because I heard horror stories of people getting banned from something small and them never getting anything back. MS accounts management sucks and they can't unlink accounts ffs.

KillaKap

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MS will never not have a game outside their ecosystem exist moving forward. I understand the legit gripes about account linking but most people hate the fact that they'll be contributing to Xbox success when they thought building and PC and copping a PS5 was their way of protest

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
MS will never not have a game outside their ecosystem exist moving forward. I understand the legit gripes about account linking but most people hate the fact that they'll be contributing to Xbox success when they thought building and PC and copping a PS5 was their way of protest

I don't think there's any legit gripes. We want games but don't want to buy an Xbox ok we'll put them on PC. Well we don't want to use your store. Ok we'll put them on Steam. We don't want to sign in though at all...

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
How many Forza, Halo, Gears titles have MS pumped out? Don't forget all the canceled new IP's

Forza: 11 console/ PC games in 15 years-
Halo: 13 console/ PC games in 19 years
Gears: 7 console games (plus a remaster) in 14 years

People love to complain about these games being "pumped out", but comparing that to the number of games released for franchises like Mario, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil or Even Yakuza in the same time span, I honestly don't think that Microsoft is too egregious. Yes, they have studios that are dedicated to one of their core franchises each, but my point of gamers being the ones outraged if studios like Ninja Theory or Obsidian get the freedom to try something new still stands.

As for cancellations- everyone cancels games, much more so than most gamers realize. MS simply cancelled them much later/ more visibly than other companies usually do (ideally prior to announcing them, of course).

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Yes but mine is connected to my business account so I won't risk ever using that one (hotmail lol, I even have MSN 20 years + old) because I heard horror stories of people getting banned from something small and them never getting anything back. MS accounts management sucks and they can't unlink accounts ffs.

That's why I use my old Hotmail account.. ;)

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Forza: 11 console/ PC games in 15 years-
Halo: 13 console/ PC games in 19 years
Gears: 7 console games (plus a remaster) in 14 years

People love to complain about these games being "pumped out", but comparing that to the number of games released for franchises like Mario, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil or Even Yakuza in the same time span, I honestly don't think that Microsoft is too egregious. Yes, they have studios that are dedicated to one of their core franchises each, but my point of gamers being the ones outraged if studios like Ninja Theory or Obsidian get the freedom to try something new still stands.

As for cancellations- everyone cancels games, much more so than most gamers realize. MS simply cancelled them much later/ more visibly than other companies usually do (ideally prior to announcing them, of course).
200.gif

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's why I use my old Hotmail account.. ;)

Yes cool. Which is why I said I can't use my even older MSN account (older than hotmail itself) because it's linked to my Microsoft business account where I manage Visual Studio subscriptions, Azure etc.. Bad enough that I made the mistake to link it with my business account, but even worse that Microsoft is so incompetent in unlinking them <_>

I am just too lazy to make a new account, because all my old Xbox stuff is also on my MSN account :-/

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
My honest thoughts are people from the get-go underestimated this title's specific appeal. Yes it's a survival game and those have an audience on PC, but there's actually a lot to be said about how the game realizes its setting with a lot of small details (pun unintended), and just how interesting they realize the various insects/how horrifying they are. Earth Defense Games have giant insects and appeal, but these work on a different level with the survival mechanics and makes the tiny world the game is set in felt incredibly lived in and dangerous. And of course, makes it a fun experience to share with friends.

I think it has an innately appealing concept that's fairly novel for video games still executed well for a certain subset of people. It also helps I think word of mouth is going to help this game spread, AND this game you can tell if it appeals or not to you just by watching a bit of the game as by the design of it things are pretty much happening all the time, making it a good streaming game both to stream, but also to sell people on the game from watching if it's up their alley.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Concerning live accounts, they don't need to be associated to an MS email (Hotmail,Outlook).

I had to create a new account recently and it was with my Gmail account.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017

Never been more obvious than it has been recently.

What is popular on Era and other enthusiasts forums are large budget, single player experience, which stay true to very specific styles of gameplay. The GaaS thread showed how outdated views were. There is a much bigger market out there and we aren't its target audience.

Flou

Jan 31, 2019
People always hype up first day twitch numbers but in terms of tracking visibility on twitch it's usually more important to see where it is like 4 days or a week out. Does it disappear from the top games and come back, does it disappear and never returns but it has a consistent viewer base, things like that.

First day numbers are good for the getting the word out on the game. That's some cheap and sometimes free marketing right there for the game. People might not buy it today or tomorrow, but rather wait for more content. Everytime more content gets released, more people will buy it and they will stream it once again, creating more "talk" around and about the game. I would always view it as how many gamers they reached with their initial push. If you release a trailer for the game, that might get less views than they do via streaming.

From the initial numbers you can see that there is a market for game like Grounded and people are interested in it. Will they stay interested in it while waiting for the finished product? No one knows, as many things can happen between today and that day. But at least there is interest in the game and the launch should be a huge morale boost for the Grounded team at Obsidian.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
The demo they put out last month was really solid and polished already. It showed a lot of potential, and the premise is charming. The survival genre is popular on PC, so I'm not surprised it's doing well.

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
What is popular on Era and other enthusiasts forums are large budget, single player experience, which stay true to very specific styles of gameplay. The GaaS thread showed how outdated views were. There is a much bigger market out there and we aren't its target audience.
Absolutely. Twitter, Resetera, Reddit all have a specific leaning because they tend to be people who spend time discussing games online. It's becoming more clear with some of these Xbox game releases that, with a somewhat neutral response on these platforms but seeing huge numbers in sales and engagement, that they have indeed been reaching a different demographic.

Wonder if Halo will succeed in satisfying both the hardcore and the casual. I have a good feeling about it.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Yooooooooo this dude straight up pauses the game and changes the settings right then and there that was amazing hahah
There are a TONNE more, some with screaming if you look through all the top clips from grounded, it gave me a chuckle this morning.

They should to a streamer scream montage trailer instead of the fan accolades stuff for this one.

Jul 13, 2020
I'm laughing at Eurogamers live stream on YouTube right now. They seem to be having a blast. It's good that this game isn't tied to the Xbox footprint. It seems people can judge the game and not a "Xbox game" where the inherent biases against the console don't come into play. So the game is getting a much better reception than it would if it were just on Xbox.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
I'm laughing at Eurogamers live stream on YouTube right now. They seem to be having a blast. It's good that this game isn't tied to the Xbox footprint. It seems people can judge the game and not a "Xbox game" where the inherent biases against the console don't come into play. So the game is getting a much better reception than it would if it were just on Xbox.
hhaha timestamped

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
Great for Obsidian for having so much interest with their game, tried it for 5min on GamePass and not my cup of tea, but great for people that enjoy these type of games

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017

Kinda lines up with my thoughts on it. Era is an enthusiast crowd and won't always have tastes line up with the general public (such as with the recent Fable MMO and "Why do you hate GaaS games" threads), but some of these games will have quite a bit of reach and appeal that extends beyond the enthusiast crowd. Similar to how big games like Minecraft don't really have much of an audience here, but have a massive audience with a more general/casual base.

I didn't know how HUGE Roblox was. My kid wants to play it with her friend. They are already playing Minecraft A LOT.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Grounded and Sea of Thieves just...hanging out together in the Global top-5 is both nuts and also makes perfect sense.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
In a couple of days SoT released 2 months ago on Steam and it still hangs arround the top and even being on top the most of the time.

Noriea

Nov 8, 2017
Super fun but had some serious issues playing multiplayer last night. I was bouncing around, rubber banding and generally vibrating and relogging wouldn't fix it. Random bug armies invaded our camp every day, wiping out anything we built. I guess if you have anything edible in storage or dead bugs in proximity it doesn't help, but seemed a bit ridiculous having a spider, two lady bugs, 6 ants and 5 larvae attacking us because someone had a grub in storage.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Grounded is seemingly my jam. Got a chance to run through a bunch of the solo content, and loved it. Three other people in my circle are already planning on a social night for it, tomorrow or Friday.