• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
What? I thought this was an Xbox series x exclusive to be released alongside the console after watching that stream and turns out it's already been released on steam? Clearly I wasn't paying too much attention.

Super Barrier

Nov 20, 2017
Congrats to Obsidian. Many, many were making fun of this game On Twitter when it was originally revealed. MS is making good decisions allowing devs to make what they want.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Very surprising. Having said that I'm not into survival games at all but I had a lot of fun with the demo and now with the EA release. Game is just fun.
Really hard to believe Era members bought 10 million copies from Sony games...

Many people in the world care about Sony games I think...
Minecraft has passed 200 million copies sold. Not to take away anything from Sony's fantastic output this gen but in terms of the overall gaming market 10 million sales is only a fraction of what some other games do yet this forum's heavy skew towards those games makes it seems like if you don't have them then your platform is not worth owning.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
To be honest, I don't think you sell a studio with 150+ people because of a small passion project with initially 4 (5?) people on it.
Nah, they had plans way beyond that obviously, but I am sure they were already looking at Grounded as a loss internally. Funding in general has been a constant issue for Obsidian.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I swear every single survival game no matter of quality comes outta the gates on steam like fire, it's nuts. Not saying this is a bad one, but is there ever survival game that just released with a whimper? They all seem to have huge twitch followings within the first week just due to have crazy people are for this genre.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

Never been more obvious than it has been recently.

It's true. Particularly with multiplayer games, the number of times we've bought and got into games like this are nothing to do with twitter or forums. For my group of friends it's been based on word of mouth, talking through the games store page / popularity, on a whim based on the trailer / gameplay videos if the price is good enough, or just wanting to play a certain type of game we know others are planning to get eventually or that we've had fun with before.

Zuly

Oct 26, 2017
Puerto Rico
Era fails to understand what the PC crowd likes to play. More news at 11.

I plan to give this a shot with friends through Game Pass myself.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
Have no idea what game this is, for a second I thought it was the Last of Us difficulty setting.

I'm gonna take a look at this game.

Edit: never mind, not for me.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, low key Obsidian must be the best acquisition than Microsoft has done on the last 2 years

One of the most revered RPG studios of all time getting stability and budget for pretty much the first time? I'm incredibly excited for it. I'm honestly really excited for InXile too. They've not had anywhere near the acclaim as Obsidian, but Brian Fargo is one of the most experienced game devs there is and pretty much pioneered a lot of the RPG genre as we know it. I can't wait to see what he can do when he's not relying on crowdfunding. InXile's games have always been so close to being great, but have just missed the mark.

Oct 27, 2017
Big congrats to Obsidian, you could tell from Day 1 how passionate the team was for this game and its great to see that rewarded.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
One of the most revered RPG studios of all time getting stability and budget for pretty much the first time? I'm incredibly excited for it. I'm honestly really excited for InXile too. They've not had anywhere near the acclaim as Obsidian, but Brian Fargo is one of the most experienced game devs there is and pretty much pioneered a lot of the RPG genre as we know it. I can't wait to see what he can do when he's not relying on crowdfunding. InXile's games have always been so close to being great, but have just missed the mark.
Bro if Inxile made an AAA Numenera RPG like what Obsidian is doing with Avowed/PoE I would cream my pants.

Chronos

Oct 27, 2017

Kinda lines up with my thoughts on it. Era is an enthusiast crowd and won't always have tastes line up with the general public (such as with the recent Fable MMO and "Why do you hate GaaS games" threads), but some of these games will have quite a bit of reach and appeal that extends beyond the enthusiast crowd. Similar to how big games like Minecraft don't really have much of an audience here, but have a massive audience with a more general/casual base.

I thought Sea of Theives struggled a lot at launch and then slowly built up a big following as it was updated post launch.

Jul 13, 2020
If it wasn't for the GamePass model, this game probably would have never been green lit.

Absolutely dead-on. I don't think it would've even been pitched. GamePass frees the 1st party studios from being overly-concerned with making "market-friendly" games and just make what they want. They also aren't confined to the Xbox console footprint and have access to the hundreds of millions of PC gamers.

It's such a strange yet daring new way of doing business in gaming.

PIMPBYBLUD

Oct 27, 2017
Played this for about an hour today on Xbox and loved what I played so far. Awesome new take on the survival genre.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Absolutely dead-on. I don't think it would've even been pitched. GamePass frees the 1st party studios from being overly-concerned with making "market-friendly" games and just make what they want. They also aren't confined to the Xbox console footprint and have access to the hundreds of millions of PC gamers.

It's such a strange yet daring new way of doing business in gaming.

Wasn't this already in production when Obsidian was aquired?

Oct 27, 2017
It sort of looks and plays like Minecraft made 30 years in the future lol. I like it when games like this can establish themselves.

Ruu

Oct 28, 2017
I only played for like 20 minutes just to check it out but I thought Grounded was pretty fuckin awesome. Can't wait to play more with my kids.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
I thought Sea of Theives struggled a lot at launch and then slowly built up a big following as it was updated post launch.
It was not a finished game at launch. It was fairly front loaded with content and fizzled out within a couple weeks. They've brought it back over the past 2 years to the hit it is now.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Congrats Obsidian.

I don't know if I play it now or wait for the full game (or at least the full 'story')

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Kind of off topic but I really recommend following Benji on his YouTube channel, his live chats are really great to listen to, really good takes, super to the point with no filler. And I think he's a super nice guy too.

Jul 13, 2020
Wasn't this already in production when Obsidian was aquired?

I'm talking about their business model for how they'll handle 1st party games from here on out. Releasing on console and PC through GamePass and Steam. It's all about having the game available to a large user base from day 1, not just confining it to the console footprint.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I have downloaded on PC Gamepass and canny wait to play tonight!

I was worried when MS acquired Obsidian, but now, the thought of them having the stability and backing of MS makes this the best acquisition MS has done. These guys have always deserved to not be barely alive based on Kickstarter fumds, and I tremble to think of what we are going to be getting from them this gen.
Truly one of my favorite studios ever <3

Dec 15, 2017
Just goes to show that Reset Era is pretty clueless about video games. If only MS could fix Bleeding Edge.. I love the premise of that game.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017

Never been more obvious than it has been recently.

That's my demographic. I've been playing rocket league for five years. I've bought many many survival games over the years. Love a well done GAAS model keeping my games relevant. That fable thread where people were having meltdowns because the game wouldn't be strictly a single player game was something else. I like games to be social if I can't play something with my buddies I probably won't bother. Though I respect them as great games and glad they exist for those who want them.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Great to see Obsidian's passion project get such amazing reception.

Early Access isn't my thing, but I'll probably check the game out next year once 1.0 is out.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Congratulations to Obsidian, that's fantastic! Definitely looking forward to checking it out in the future.

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
That's my demographic. I've been playing rocket league for five years. I've bought many many survival games over the years. Love a well done GAAS model keeping my games relevant. That fable thread where people were having meltdowns because the game wouldn't be strictly a single player game was something else. I like games to be social if I can't play something with my buddies I probably won't bother. Though I respect them as great games and glad they exist for those who want them.
I agree, games for me are usually a social experience. Don't get me wrong, I'm all on board for a great solo narrative experience, but what keeps me playing long term has always been multiplayer components. I've barely played any games more than one time, apart from my absolute favorites.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
how....did that happen? no disrespect to obsidian or the game, but.....what happened lol

What happened that this is a game in a genre where a game only fails on Steam if it's overtly bad.

And even if it's overtly bad it can still be moderately successful, if not a blowout. Not going to name names to not start a possible flame-war but there are some genuinely bad survival games that continually make Top Selling each sale somehow even with Mixed or Negative reviews.