• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure they will allocate a larger team for The Outer World 2 too after the success of the first game. It was made by a small team (70-80 ?) and there clearly were budget restrictions (probably based on the uncertainty of the game's reception and Obsidian troubled situation at this moment).

The future is looking so good for Obsidian now !

I think the budget was purely due to the publisher. Private Division is about funding AA games but giving them enough money to polish it above the usual AA weight class.

Having the backing of a full publisher will mean a much larger actual AAA budget.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
how....did that happen? no disrespect to obsidian or the game, but.....what happened lol

The gaming World doesn't end with this forum lol. Tons of games nobody seems to care about on here do fantastically in the general market whether it's more multiplayer based Twitch type games or more mass market games like the top Ubisoft games.

Congratulations to Obsidian!

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The gaming World doesn't end with this forum lol. Tons of games nobody seems to care about on here do fantastically in the general market whether it's more multiplayer based Twitch type games or more mass market games like the top Ubisoft games.

Congratulations to Obsidian!

Look at the amount of discourse we have for League of Legends vs the gaming world at large for example

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
Just played for an hour and can absolutely see why it's so popular. What is there is really fun and charming and it has huge potential to improve. I can't wait to see a full story added.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the power of twich.
Get all those top streamers playing this in the first few days, people buy some copies etc.

What matters is if in 2 weeks people are still playing it / buying it.

No need to try so hard. This game is currently successful. No need to build fantasy scenarios in which everyone who bought it gets bored half an hour in.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Kinda lines up with my thoughts on it. Era is an enthusiast crowd and won't always have tastes line up with the general public (such as with the recent Fable MMO and "Why do you hate GaaS games" threads), but some of these games will have quite a bit of reach and appeal that extends beyond the enthusiast crowd. Similar to how big games like Minecraft don't really have much of an audience here, but have a massive audience with a more general/casual base.

If you only visit Era for your gaming news, you'd think Minecraft is dead, Fortnite kinda faded away, Roblox has died about a decade ago, PUBG is long gone and a meme at this point, sports games like FIFA and Madden are no longer as popular as before, and people got tired of war shooters like COD and Battlefield.

Whereas most of these games have 8-9 figures worth of monthly players each. Smash DLC speculation gets dozens of threads, FIFA doesn't have an OT here. Market is quite literally the opposite of this though.

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you only visit Era for your gaming news, you'd think Minecraft is dead, Fortnite kinda faded away, Roblox has died about a decade ago, PUBG is long gone and a meme at this point, sports games like FIFA and Madden are no longer as popular as before, and people got tired of war shooters like COD and Battlefield.

Whereas most of these games have 8-9 figures worth of monthly players each. Smash DLC speculation gets dozens of threads, FIFA doesn't have an OT here. Market is quite literally the opposite of this though.

Era is very much a console single-player forum and also leans heavily towards Japanese games, anything else doesn't get anywhere near the attention it does elsewhere.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I think Sony is looking at numbers like this, and the first party stuff they have been selling and thinking "...sooooo, how long are we gonna wait to release these new bangers on the PC? Cuz, you...*stares at waiting mountain of cash on the PC side*...I mean c'mon, guys."

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It would have been a huge disappointment if Grounded wouldn't have taken Twitch / Steam charts on day0 by storm. It's tailored for the PC audience.
Lets see if it can hold some longevity for the next 2 weeks and it might join ARK and Conan Exiles as the big survival hitters.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Yep, huge parts of the internet only want 3rd person action games ala God of War, GoT, and Last of Us. Microsoft studios out here showing off with good multiplayer games made my smaller teams, and larger ones.

Yes, I'd argue that is mostly the Era bubble, where Sony's third party games are king, and GaaS is the devil. If you look at the majority of gamers in the world, they play multiplayer stuff.

Deleted member 18161

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Look at the amount of discourse we have for League of Legends vs the gaming world at large for example

Exactly and you'd think AAA story based games were some strange niche reading Twitch chat lol.

Lots of great games for lots of people's differing tastes. I dare say it's never been a better time to be a gamer and I've been playing since '88!

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Watching the latest trailer I'm not surprised. This is hitting all the right notes for the crowd that's into these types of games. It looks colorful and has a cool gimmick.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa

Pretty good summary. My favorite still being when people predicted Wildlands being doomed for coming out close to Persona 5, I think?

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So, low key Obsidian must be the best acquisition than Microsoft has done on the last 2 years

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
It's cool how Microsoft is letting studios run with one big team and then let a small team do a passion project. Yeah there's gonna be a Bleeding Edge game every now and then, but there is always a chance the game will be a hit.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty good summary. My favorite still being when people predicted Wildlands being doomed for coming out close to Persona 5, I think?

That was on the old website, but yeah, good times. Also remember the "is it just me or Wildlands flopped hard" threads in the weeks after launch despite being the highest selling new IP for most of the year haha. Some real sci-fi narratives forming around here with a heavy bias towards certain styles, genres and publishers. You'd think more players played Octopath Traveler than FIFA.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Yes, I'd argue that is mostly the Era bubble, where Sony's third party games are king, and GaaS is the devil. If you look at the majority of gamers in the world, they play multiplayer stuff.
Really hard to believe Era members bought 10 million copies from Sony games...

Many people in the world care about Sony games I think...

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Remember how thoroughly Grounded was being shat upon after it's reveal announcement? I always thought it was an interesting premise at the very least that would depend on execution. Looks like it is coming along nicely.
Yeah, congrats to Obsidian. I was totally wrong and expected this to flop like Bleeding Edge.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa

That's not what I said- Era likes to think that everyone has the same taste in games, which is heavily leaning towards single-player games and Japanese titles. Which is not representative of the larger gaming community per se, where stuff like The Last of Us 2 is very popular, but pales compared to many MP titles.

KillaKap

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MSoft learned so much growing minecraft...they are probably salivating on what they can do with Grounded

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Of course they do. But what doesn't transpire from the Era threads is that more people play on Roblox in a month than on PS4. That more people play Fortnite that all Nintendo first parties combined. That all Microsoft first parties of the generation didn't have the combined players of League of Legends. This board is not the right place to look around and see what will be popular and what won't aside from very specific genres, styles and publishers. A PC/Xbox survival game is not the kind of stuff that tends to generate much discussion here, and in fact most of it here was pretty negative. Then the game skyrockets to Steam #1 and to Twitch #2 with ridiculous numbers.

Oct 25, 2017
Of course they do. But what doesn't transpire from the Era threads is that more people play on Roblox in a month than on PS4. That more people play Fortnite that all Nintendo first parties combined. That all Microsoft first parties of the generation didn't have the combined players of League of Legends. This board is not the right place to look around and see what will be popular and what won't aside from very specific genres, styles and publishers. A PC/Xbox survival game is not the kind of stuff that tends to generate much discussion here, and in fact most of it here was pretty negative. Then the game skyrockets to Steam #1 and to Twitch #2 with ridiculous numbers.
multiplayer/social games are basically a blind spot for enthusiast boards. We still have people coming around concern trolling "people still play Destiny??"

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Let that be the road they take and maybe people will stop blasting Microsoft for not catering to a genre that doesn't make them money. Time has to pass, people have to see and let it sink in that's the way they are heading.
Not really. There is gonna be a mix of all sort of games. It needs to for Gamepass. MP, SP, open world, linear, small, big etc

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
If it wasn't for the GamePass model, this game probably would have never been green lit.
Nah, I think the reason they sold was precisely because of Grounded. This was never a sure fire success, it just needed proper marketing -- Which it apparently got!

I feel the same way about Bleeding Edge. That would have been a huge problem for Ninja Theory releasing it independantly.