• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
I really expected this to be a botch. I like the concept so i'll play it... thanks to Game Pass.

(And I can't even attribute its sucess to Game Pass, Bleeding Edge was dead on arrival...)

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game did a complete 180 for me in terms of interest. Expected it to be a generic One of Those, but between the vids they've put out, player impressions and the demo i'm super interested in the game. I'm planning on waiting for the full release, but I love seeing Obsidian having their games do well.

Ser Ignatius

Chicken Chaser
Apr 15, 2020
Remember how thoroughly Grounded was being shat upon after it's reveal announcement? I always thought it was an interesting premise at the very least that would depend on execution. Looks like it is coming along nicely.

Jan 4, 2018
Great. I read that Grounded was a passion project made by 12-13 people at Obsidian.

This game looks really fun and I feel it's going to become way bigger than anticipated by Obsidian. Can't wait to play it.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Can we stop hyping Twitch numbers at launch? Every big game (and even more mp focused games!) often get boosted by giving keys to streamers to stream it at launch which inflates numbers.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
1. It's a survival game
2. It has a unique hook (basically a "Honey I shrunk The Kids" game)
3. It is substantially more fleshed out/polished than most early access survival games releasing on Steam

Plus, it's a perfect Summer game when everyone is stuck indoors. LOL

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
That's great but let's see how it fairs a week later. I can't wait to play the game as well.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
I think the demo a few weeks back really sold people on it. Definitely did for me.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
This is made by a tiny team at Obsidian too who splintered off from the main dev team who went on to make Outer Worlds and are now in dev on Avowed after Pillars of Etnerity 2 was finished. Last I heard only 14 people are on the Grounded team.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Survival games aren't my thing but I'll give it a shot tonight. Regardless, I love this. Love to see a small team make something different than anything their studio has ever made and have success. It sends a message to publishers, investors and anyone in charge that it's good to take a risk and diversify once in awhile. Regardless of how I end up feeling about the game tonight, I hope this small team at Obsidian is able to continue to support the game and grow it into something big. I want to see more diverse passion projects supported by more publishers.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
I hope this is a lesson for MS to allow talented teams to pursue unorthodox passion projects.

I don't think the problem here is MS, it is the part of the community that screams bloody murder as soon as a studio wants to try something outside their usual wheelhouse (Bleeeding Edge, Grounded, Sea of Thieves...)

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
impressive. the game never looked like much to me so I never though too much about it

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Can we stop hyping Twitch numbers at launch? Every big game (and even more mp focused games!) often get boosted by giving keys to streamers to stream it at launch which inflates numbers.

Context is key, many expected this game to be DOA. Lots of other games have come and gone and haven't come close to making the same day one impact.

Also #1 selling on Steam is a very good metric especially when you factor lost sales to gamepass

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
how....did that happen? no disrespect to obsidian or the game, but.....what happened lol
My thoughts...

1) People have trust in Obsidian
2) Strong advertising through xbox (Game pass push)
3) Survival type games are HUGE on PC (Minecraft, Raft, Rust, Ark, Etc). Having a survival game come from an established developer shows promise.
4)Early-Access Launch is a plus in the minds of some gamers.
5) The game is easily explained (Your tiny humans surviving in a back yard.)
6) Lack of other "Large" releases atm. I mean, the only other recent release that's being talked about is 5d chess lol

All these things point to at least a successful launch.

Goes to show how much an echo chamber Era is about how much we praise single player games and dis multiplayer games. I already know this game isn't for me, but shout out to Obsidian. Seems like they have a success.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Congrats to Obsidian!

Grounded is not only a really charming game, but a really polished one. Now that it's known Obsidian is also working on Avowed -- a big RPG -- I think people will be more open to smaller projects like Grounded.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
Q for People with Xbox gamepass PC:

Can I play multiplayer/coop games on 2 separate PC's with the same account?

Want to play this with my son on laptop + main rig. Not sure if I have to dish out for another sub.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Played it a little bit and it seems to hit a good middleground between overly complicated survival and easily accessible. The setting alone is also refreshing

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Not a surprise. First person survival games do great on PC. One developed by Obsidian and published by a pub as big as MS had top seller written all over it.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Excited to try this when I get home. Normally not a survival fan, but an Obsidian fan. It sounds like they're putting their own spin on things with a more developed story and it looks fairly polished for being an early access game a good distance away from a full launch.