• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
They got rid of the Tasty Steve commentary entirely based on the survey responses, not to mention other changes they've made along the way. Regardless, it's an official way to have our voices heard.
in that case they definitely listened with the quickness

Keiriks

Omicron Persei 8 Logic
Aug 19, 2021
Reykjavík, Iceland
Lot of sick people in capcom's universes.

morrison_2.jpg

dmc5_morrison_7.png
That one was deeply perplexing, especially since they got a white guy with a history of racist caricatures to voice him. Like............. why

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
What they mean i think is that Birdie originally wasn't black. Like eons ago. Of course he's black now but it wasn't always the case.

Let's be completely honest here. None of these people are thinking about Street Fighter 1 Birdie. Like who even looks at that game as the definitive version of any character? Nobody is shocked Ryu's hair is no longer red.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Nothing wrong with him as a person, but the Twitch stuff kinda killed the pacing of the presentation.

This. People just want the information at a steady flow, they don't want the constant interruptions for commentary. It just drags out the stream. To be frank, if they want commentary they can just watch the presentation through a partnered streamer live or watch a youtube reaction video from a content creator/pro player they already follow.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
This. People just want the information at a steady flow, they don't want the constant interruptions for commentary. It just drags out the stream. To be frank, if they want commentary they can just watch the presentation through a partnered streamer live or watch a youtube reaction video from a content creator/pro player they already follow.

This. I just want them to get to the point.

Other people can side stream with their commentary if they want.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Wait what's wrong with tasty steve?
Last stream they did some dumb shit where they had TastySteve and Vicious react piecemeal to what Capcom had just shown to us. What was originally a 30 minute presentation was unnecessarily extended to 80 minutes. I like TastySteve, but I don't need to see him reacting to shit I just watched. It was pure fluff and added nothing.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing wrong with him as a person, but the Twitch stuff kinda killed the pacing of the presentation.

Last stream they did some dumb shit where they had TastySteve and Vicious react piecemeal to what Capcom had just shown to us. What was originally a 30 minute presentation was unnecessarily extended to 80 minutes. I like TastySteve, but I don't need to see him reacting to shit I just watched. It was pure fluff and added nothing.

Oh that's what you are referring to, oh yeah that was weird

Tasty Steve is a treasure. An icon. A legend.
Facts

Aug 26, 2018
日本
2. Japanese art be anti-black and they be giving black characters random features to make them Special Black People as opposed to the ones you don't have to care about. You are right that Japanese artists are mimicking the Storm look. The problem is the origins of the Storm look are FUCKED UP. Dave Cockrum and Chris Claremont initially envisioned this woman with an African-American dad and a Kenyan mother as a mixture of the "Negroid, Caucasian, and Oriental" races somehow. Their words, not mine:

Oh, and with cat eyes, because she was based on two scrapped characters, one of whom was a literal cat lady. Over time they moved away from these details because they were, frankly, dumb as fuck. Sometimes Storm is even depicted with brown eyes and textured hair now, because these aspects of her initial design were unnecessary and not even what make her iconic.

Storm is my favorite comic character, and the Claremont run is my favorite run in superhero books. I even love Bengus' Storm, hence my avatar. But Storm's design origins are mighty suspect and if Japanese artists are using them as a template for their current black characters, they still need to be taken to task.
Daaaaaaamn, I never knew that. That is indeed fucked up.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Come on now. I made a dumb assumption and was quickly corrected by people. It is obvious in hindsight.

I live in a country where there are very few black people, I didn't meet one in person until I was almost 30. I know I'm ignorant as fuck about this stuff, but if I don't say dumb shit people can't correct me and I will never get better at not saying dumb shit. I'm trying to get better. Please don't assume the worst.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
How is Birdie not black?

what are these posts

I'm the most casual of Street Fighter followers, not having playing one of the games properly since I was a kid playing one of the Street Fighter Alphas with my brothers, and even I'm perplexed by the "wtf, he's black?" posts. The dude's been black way longer than he's been not-black. It'd be like going, "What? Pierce Brosnan isn't Bond anymore?"

I don't know how Birdie's characterization has been in-game for the more recent Street Fighters, but I remember really enjoying some of his artwork from the 90s. I always thought it was cool to see a black punk rocker depicted in a video game, so seeing some of the more Sambo-esque depictions of him is a bummer. There was a stoicism to this type of art that I really loved when I was younger:

SFA-Birdie.png

Last edited:

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I'm the most casual of Street Fighter followers, not having playing one of the games properly since I was a kid playing one of the Street Fighter Alphas with my brothers, and even I'm perplexed by the "wtf, he's black?" posts. The dude's been black way longer than he's been not-black. It'd be like going, "What? Pierce Brosnan isn't Bond anymore?"

I don't know how Birdie's characterization has been in-game for the more recent Street Fighters, but I remember really enjoying some of his artwork from the 90s. I always thought it was cool to see a black punk rocker depicted in a video game, so seeing some of the more Sambo-esque depictions of him is a bummer. There was a stoicism to this type of art that I really loved when I was younger:

SFA-Birdie.png

Man, it just hit me. I would love to see Punk Birdie updated as Roadman Birdie. UK Drill Birdie.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Got curious and tried to visualize the ethnic diversity of the Street Fighter cast a bit. I'm definitely fudging things, but it seems like over time Japanese and other nonwhite characters have gotten less prominent in the roster while white characters are getting more prominent.

1:
Japanese 4 - 33% (Ryu, Ken, Retsu, Geki)
White: 2 - 17% (Joe, Eagle)
Nonwhite: 6 - 50% (Mike, Lee, Gen, Birdie, Adon, Sagat)

2:
Japanese: 2 - 14% (Akuma, E. Honda)
White: 4 - 29% (Cammy, Guile, Vega, Zangief)
Nonwhite: 8 - 57% (Balrog, Blanka, Chun Li, Dee Jay, Dhalsim, Fei Long, M. Bison, T. Hawk)

Alpha:
Japanese: 5 - 45% (Dan, Guy, Sakura, Karin, R. Mika)
White: 6 - 55% (Charlie, Rolento, Rose, Sodom, Cody, Juli, Juni)
Nonwhite: 0

3:
Japanese: 3 - 19% (Ibuki, Oro, Makoto)
White: 7 - 44% (Alex, Gill, Necro, Hugo, Urien, Q, Remy)
Nonwhite: 5 - 31% (Dudley, Elena, Sean, Yun, Yang)
N/A: 1 - 6% (Twelve)

4:
Japanese: 1 - 10% (Gouken)
White: 6 - 60% (Abel, C. Viper, Decapre, Hakan, Poison, Rufus)
Nonwhite: 2 - 20% (El Fuerte, Juri)
N/A: 1 - 10% (Seth)

5:
Japanese: 2 - 13% (Akira, Zeku)
White: 7 - 47% (Abigail, Ed, Falke, G, Kolin, Lucia, Luke)
Nonwhite: 5 - 33% (F.A.N.G., Laura, Menat, Necalli, Rashid)
N/A: 1 - 7% (Eleven)

Oct 27, 2017
Got curious and tried to visualize the ethnic diversity of the Street Fighter cast a bit. I'm definitely fudging things, but it seems like over time Japanese and other nonwhite characters have gotten less prominent in the roster while white characters are getting more prominent.

1:

2:
Nonwhite: 8 - 57% (Balrog, Blanka, Chun Li, Dee Jay, Dhalsim, Fei Long, M. Bison, T. Hawk)

Alpha:

3:

4:

5:
Necro and Q are counted as white in 3? Come on

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

1:

2:

Alpha:

3:

4:

5:

There's a reason why SFV is sometimes derisively referred to as Blond Fighter V

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'll agree that his recent depictions of black people are on the "wtf are you doing, stop it" level but Bengus has such a long history of exploring and mastering different art styles over literal decades (drawing plenty of black people well over the years) that it seems more like a particular stylization style that failed.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Ummm hes Japanese right? What do you expect
The Japanese gaming industry isn't a monolith, especially considering that plenty have been stepping up their game regarding how they depict Black folks. Even Nintendo EPD are starting to get with the program, though they sadly didn't extend said memo their contact workers (this is in reference to the racist stereotypes found in some of Smash's spirit battles).

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ummm hes Japanese right? What do you expect

Yo, chill with the racist generalizations

It's wrong to lump an entire ethnic group together, especially when we've seen demonstrable improvements on the representation front coming from Japan. There are still plenty more improvements that can be made, undeniably, but ignoring all of the hard work made (by both the Japanese and people overseas) and assuming the situation is a lost cause is shitty.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Yo, chill with the racist generalizations

It's wrong to lump an entire ethnic group together, especially when we've seen demonstrable improvements on the representation front coming from Japan. There are still plenty more improvements that can be made, undeniably, but ignoring all of the hard work made (by both the Japanese and people overseas) and assuming the situation is a lost cause is shitty.
Lol. Racist? Have you been to japan or familiar with their culture at all? Most commonly they view black people as caricatures.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol. Racist? Have you been to japan or familiar with their culture at all? Most commonly they view black people as caricatures.

Oh come on

You're generalizing a country with 125+ million people. No amount of justification is ever going to make that okay. And I can't believe you're actually doubling down on your obviously bigoted argument. Like yeah, racism, and anti-black racism in particular is an issue in Japan. But don't act like you're some authority, like you know exactly what's going in the country. It's a complicated issue (just like everywhere else), and people are fighting to make things better even there.

They've been fighting since the late 80s. Don't give me that crap.