• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
why would you make a sequel to a movie that only made a middling box office return

why would Ben Wheatley direct this? Is he being paid that much or is he just that desperate to make a franchise film?

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Remember when we got excited at the director of Macbeth making an AC movie starring Fassbender? Good times.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
A better director is exactly what the 'franchise' needs. Alicia Vikander was brilliant in the role, and we need more of her as a lean action adventure heroine. The first movie had some gold there in the character herself, but was let down by sloppy lack of polish and a cohesive tone.

The last one did awful at the box office. These studios just love wasting money.

Globally it actually made as much as the first Jolie TR. It disappointed domestically but made up for it internationally.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Ben Wheatley is a... left-field choice. Interested purely from that perspective.

Imagine the marketing:

Rise of the Tomb Raider/Tomb Raider 2, from the guy that made this -

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I'm happy about this. The first one wasn't awful. It just felt bogged down by the typical origin stuff. But she was a step up from the "no fun" game Lara.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Cant say i care for this director tbh, dudes movies have all left me cold

Surprised theyre making a sequel as i thought the last one wasnt very successful. Good for vikander tho. The casting was on point I thought.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
why would you make a sequel to a movie that only made a middling box office return

why would Ben Wheatley direct this? Is he being paid that much or is he just that desperate to make a franchise film?
MGM doesn't have much in the way of franchises and they're trying to become a distributor again.

Wheatley has been talking about making bigger films for a bit. He was working on Freakshift (I think it was called?) with Vikander but they ran into trouble with funding, so maybe it's a chance to work with Vikander and a decent budget? Also, since his frequent collaborator Amy Jump was already writing this, that might have helped.
A remake of Kill list with Lara Croft 😬
🤔
Alicia Vikander is Swedish so she can play Shel with ease...

Iceman

Oct 26, 2017
Alhambra, CA
What a strange/bold choice for director. Going for a distinct style vs name recognition... for an action blockbuster.. wow. Like what will they say, "from the director of A Field in England and Free-Fire"?

A description of his style from Alistair Ryder in https://www.filminquiry.com/beginners-guide-ben-wheatley-director/

"slice of life kitchen sink drama, arthouse stylization and eminently disturbing psychological horror, with frequent bursts of ultra-violence"

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
I couldn't even finish the first one.
Pizza delivery Lara was too much for me like... It wasn't what I wanted from a Tomb Raider movie, not saying the movie was bad.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Wheatley? That's an incredibly unexpected choice. I'm interested, even if I couldn't care less about the franchise.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
I think this says a lot about how much money films are making from TV and streaming rights. If an action film can break even or finish slightly in the red at the theaters it can still be very valuable over the long term from secondary sources.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
Let's hope this is the cinematic equivalent of Tomb Raider Anniversary. I kind of doubt it though. Alicia is clearly a talent, but when can the film industry ever be trusted to make any of these things more than mediocre?

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
It's been interesting watching Wheatley's choice in projects progressively nosedive in recent years.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
first movie was boring, don't really understand why they are making this but ok, go ahead and waste some more money I don't mind

It would be hilarious to make an Assassins Creed Odyssey movie where Vikander plays the girl PC and Fassbender plays the male PC and the movie is just told through both their POVs or something

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Still need to watch the first one sometime.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Last one was pretty awful, there was a few cool scenes, namely out of context video game ones but much of it looked worse than a sci fi TV show so better director is a postive but the script needs to be way better as well because that side was dire.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Unless the studio is letting Wheatley make this uncomfortably, casually violent (which, to be fair, the last two games have been) then this seems like a very strange pairing.

Blackflag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ben Wheatley? He's great but seems weird for him to want to direct this. As much as I love his other movies I don't think I could be bothered to give Tomb Raider yet another shot. His talent is wasted on this.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the first one. Really captured the feel of the reboot games.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
"Ben Wheatly set to direct Alicia Vikander..." ok I am listening

"...in Tom Raider sequel"

wmjNN8.gif

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
Oof, the first one was rough. Boring and overly serious. Couldn't even finish it.

And I am very much up for mediocre action adventure movies.

Oct 30, 2017
That's if Wheatley sticks around past preproduction. Talented auteur directors don't have a good track record of sticking with tentpoles .