• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
You cannot deplatform the likes of Shapiro, because he isn't posting hate speech and doxxing people on the regular. He's simply a well spoken sounding board for conservatives - the intellectual excuse to support a buffoon like Trump, even over a moderate like Biden, which he lays out quite clearly in this interview.
After watching that interview, calling Ben Shapiro an intellectual is a stretch.

Honestly it just exposes to the world how low brow and unintelligent the right is when this is the guy they roll out to be the champion of their ideas.

Damerman

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I love the BBC World Service interviews I get to hear in the morning, but I swear the Razier Iqbal (sorry for the huge SP I only hear it pronounced) would argue with her own goddam mother about how much she loves her. She grills everyone!
exactly this. Ben Shapiro has a myopic view of journalism(as do most americans).

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
But this is their playbook though no? Fake news, biased interviewer; I mean O'Reily used to cut off mic. Honestly I don' think this changes how his supporters look at him at all

I would assume that we're not concerned how this performance would come across to someone who would consider themselves a Shapiro supporter. Obviously they would have their own take to protect themselves.

Voyager

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shapiro: "You are calling the act of jailing women who miscarry barbaric. Just admit you're a liberal."

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I would assume that we're not concerned how this performance would come across to someone who would consider themselves a Shapiro supporter. Obviously they would have their own take to protect themselves.
Than it's fine. I was hoping that the idiot getting destroyed would change some minds. Everyone else know these shills are just that.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Even the "storm-off" was weak as hell and he was like interrupted twice. Who wants to hear/see this man.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I've actually never bothered to watch him, so I had no idea what he sounded like. Dude's voice is as off-putting as his positions.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
This seems appropriate.

Even ignoring the obviously cribbed from Google list, anyone who knows, well, anything about American literature should be able to come up with at least one book that doesn't fall into the category of "books I had to read in school between the ages of 12 and 18." But his audience doesn't read literature either (too many feelings, not enough facts I guess), so he will face no backlash for this answer.

Nov 14, 2017
"This is a giant waste of time in the sense that the entire interview is designed for you to shout slogans or hold things that I've said at me"

Yes Ben, interviews are designed to hold you account for the things you've said. And this is the leading light of conservative thought?

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I would legitimately like to know what the right is considering for climate change. He basically said "the right is considering if it's a danger at all. And for those who think it's a danger, we're trying to figure out if technology can magically solve it". AKA carbon re-capturing? The right's big ideas involve carbon capture? If so, this is an utter joke. However, I'm genuinely curious what the right is dreaming up for climate change because so far I've seen absolutely nothing of value come from conservative think tanks. And in my home province Ontario, the Conservatives are an outright disaster when it comes to anything related to environment.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I saw the whole video; I will probably take a lot of heat for this but honestly I didn't really feel like this was a terribly negative interview for him. He kept repeating his alt-right talking points and attacking the interviewer. I doubt any single supporter of his will see this as a failure

Their goal is to appear they've won which usually means engaging in fallacies and attacking the person asking questions, when they inevitably have no reasonable answer.

Since their ideology falls apart under the most basic scrutiny and they contradict themselves all the time.

Ben is just a paid figurehead for the movement on how "they're owning the mainstream media".

His job to sound smart for a dumb ideology. Not much different than Lobsterson.

Unfortunately a lot of wealthy people want to push that ideology, so people like Ben will be in demand.

Deleted member 50454

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Limmy is getting some good bites from his Shapiro Tweets:

EDIT: Ah, I see it was already posted.

Well done, lads.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I saw the whole video; I will probably take a lot of heat for this but honestly I didn't really feel like this was a terribly negative interview for him. He kept repeating his alt-right talking points and attacking the interviewer. I doubt any single supporter of his will see this as a failure. He got many of his points across while "establishing" the narrative that main stream is out to get conservatives. His interviewer really should've struck his foot down and said ya i think it is barbaric and it has nothing to do with left/right.
That's not how his supporters operate. They automatically decide in advance that they "won" something. Nothing about the actual even will change that.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Ben Shapiro, and others like him, gain a following because there is a huge population of complete idiots that lap up any sort of faux intellectualism. Same reason Rubin or Moriarty have so many followers to varying degrees.

Deleted member 5359

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know much about Ben Shapiro but I've heard about him on YouTube every now an then cause I like left tube content. But watching this video I don't get how anyone likes him. He isn't making an argument he is just rambling at the mouth and attacking the journalist and the network at the first sign of serious inquire. Like the dude didn't even scrutinize him that harshly and he freaked out over it.

His audience is perpetually angry early 20s to late 30s neckbeards who are largely disengaged from actual politics and culture.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
LOL. The old dude didn't even press him that hard but Ben knows he can't rationalize all of the shit he said anywhere outside of the mainstream and alt-right US media, so he just runaway while yelping about his popularity. What a skilled orator he is.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol, at the implication that FDR was dealing with the "old idea" of saving the goddamn planet from climate catastrophe.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
But this is their playbook though no? Fake news, biased interviewer; I mean O'Reily used to cut off mic. Honestly I don' think this changes how his supporters look at him at all

Shapiro's whole schtick is to pretend he's calm, rational and intelligent. "Facts over feelings" and all that.

The entire point of guys like him, Peterson, Rogan, Rubin, Harris, et cetera is to give alt-right talking points a veneer of center-right respectability. I don't know whether his supporters are brainwashed to the point where this wouldn't effect them, but it does hurt his job of pretending to be a smart man.

Last edited:

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the end.

"Thank you for showing that anger is not part of American political discourse" as Ben Shapiro angrily ends the interview.

The only other time I have been exposed to him was on Rogan and he wanted to bail as soon as Jamie started fact checking him. Ben "No fair bring facts into a debate" Shapiro.