• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
All I can hear is Jan sadly saying "everyone is leaving me" from the phasmophobia playdate. :(

Gonna miss Ben for sure, loved the games he brought up and brought to light and enjoyed listening to him and like others said, Health is number 1!

I also quit a job lined up with nothing some years ago to take back my mental health, it's a risky move but health is super important.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
All the best to Ben and his future endeavors. It's an understandable decision if you want more of a private life.

Curious though if GB will get new talent soonish though. Otherwise they are starting to be a bit thin on talent. I feel like combining the podcasts might be good.
Combining the podcasts is one of my big fears, 'cause I love The Beastcast crew and their chemistry. Even though it was a huge loss when Abby left, I feel that Alex, Vinny and Bakalar have a great thing going, just the three of them. The west coast crew just have a different vibe, I think. It's not that they're incompatible, 'cause they all work great together, but I feel like there's a risk of the west coast vibe eating the east cost vibe.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
Just Jan on the youngling side now..

Wonder how long it takes for things to be "normal" for them to start hiring and what the site will even be at that point

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
My worry with Giantbomb is I just don't hear about them anymore outside of their own bubble they exist in. I just went to the site and it looks like the pace of anything non-premium, like quick looks, has really slowed down.
Quick looks have slowed down recently because 1) they've been transitioning from CBS to Red Ventures which seems to be a big headache, 2) December and especially January have very few notable game releases for them to do quick looks of, and 3) they're preparing for Game of the Year, so they're mostly focusing on playing games from last year.

Next week they're going to have plenty of free content because they're doing Game of the Year.

TrubbleFrog

Feb 23, 2018
The struggle to be "on" all the time has got to be so taxing.

Good luck to Ben! Here's to hoping his next gig is something he's into and pays well.

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
I haven't listened to the pod yet, but multiple people leaving in the middle of a pandemic/recession with no solid prospects seems like a worrying trend.

Kappakerby

Nov 5, 2017
In the coming weeks they are going to have to convince subscribers there is a reason to continue paying for their memberships. They have been bleeding talent and with the added stresses of the coronavirus lockdown their content stream has been lacking.

I want to continue supporting them but there comes a certain point where I just feel like I'm pumping money into a sinking ship.

Sonicbug

Oct 26, 2017
The Void, MA
the pandemic hasn't been great for anyone's mental health so I can understand wanting to revaluate your life. It sucks that both Abby left and now Ben. I hope they can get some new blood in sooner rather than later, or maybe at least pick up some out of work friends to fill out the roster.

Best of luck Ben, I'll miss your energy.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Combining the podcasts is one of my big fears, 'cause I love The Beastcast crew and their chemistry. Even though it was a huge loss when Abby left, I feel that Alex, Vinny and Bakalar have a great thing going, just the three of them. The west coast crew just have a different vibe, I think. It's not that they're incompatible, 'cause they all work great together, but I feel like there's a risk of the west coast vibe eating the east cost vibe.

Agreed. I think the Beast Cast has a verve to it and playfulness that I don't get from the Bomb Cast, even after Abby's departure. The Bomb Cast often feels like Jeff talking for a while with the occasional funny barbs from Ben and the odd from Brad in response to something. I like the podcast, but it's a different vibe.

Beast Cast feels like a group of friends playfully roasting each other and intertwining it well with games. It's always more entertaining to me, due in part to it having my favorite GB members on it, except Jeff G. Add the occasional visit from Ron, and it's the stronger of the two shows easily.

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
Quick looks have slowed down recently because 1) they've been transitioning from CBS to Red Ventures which seems to be a big headache, 2) December and especially January have very few notable game releases for them to do quick looks of, and 3) they're preparing for Game of the Year, so they're mostly focusing on playing games from last year.

Next week they're going to have plenty of free content because they're doing Game of the Year.

Fair enough! Like I said, I've dropped so far off the radar with GB that I wasn't sure if that was the new norm or not. Happy to hear it's not though :)

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
awww man, gonna miss him :( wish him all the best though

Interesting follow up post.

with all the harrassment he & his partner (don't know if they're still together?) get, i really don't think it's surprising in the least that he wants more privacy. and god knows he fucking deserves it. knowing people talk horribly about you & your loved ones even in places you try to avoid at all costs has to be incredibly hard to carry with you every day. it's also incredibly naive to think muting & blocking every person harrassing you would be enough, because it's not like those people don't create alts solely to keep harrassing someone or find other avenues to send them hate. hell, some people go as far as calling relatives & harrassing those, good luck just simply ignoring that.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Sad that Ben is leaving, but if it's the right decision for him all the better.

With them getting a new studio, I think he will also get the money to hire more people if they need to. Austin, Abby and Ben have been a great addition to Giant Bomb and the industry as a whole, so I am confident they can find other great people to replace them.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't listened to the pod yet, but multiple people leaving in the middle of a pandemic/recession with no solid prospects seems like a worrying trend.
I don't think Ben at least said he had nothing lined up? Sounded more like he just didn't want to share anything further about his life after GB.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
What a bummer. Totally understandable though. I hope he finds a job he likes that he's more comfortable with. Though selfishly I hope he has a change of heart at some point and returns. Its interesting though that he chose not to leave at the same time as Abby, instead he transitioned to Red Venture and then immediately left.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Agreed. I think the Beast Cast has a verve to it and playfulness that I don't get from the Bomb Cast, even after Abby's departure. The Bomb Cast often feels like Jeff talking for a while with the occasional funny barbs from Ben and the odd from Brad in response to something. I like the podcast, but it's a different vibe.

Beast Cast feels like a group of friends playfully roasting each other and intertwining it well with games. It's always more entertaining to me, due in part to it having my favorite GB members on it, except Jeff G. Add the occasional visit from Ron, and it's the stronger of the two shows easily.
Yeah, it's exactly like you describe it. It just feels like a bunch of friends shooting the shit and talking games, and that makes it so easy to listen to. I've never been big on podcasts in general, but I listen to the Beast Cast as soon as I can every single time.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
That sucks, but you gotta do what makes you happy. Smart dude and seems like he brought a lot to the crew. Good luck, my guy!

May 17, 2018
Sounds like Ben's making a much needed personal decision, so, that's awesome for him!

Oddly enough, I've been listening to old clips of Ryan-era GB days and there's just so much energy that's been missing there every since his passing. They all used to crack each other up all the time, and, especially on the west, that just never happens anymore. Ironically, Ben is the one who I'd hear laughing the most.

I hope this gives them the opportunity to get someone with high energy and enthusiasm to maybe get some of that spark back.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Well damn, sorry to hear that.

I hope they get to recruit new blood soon, cause Bombcast is in dire need of that to keep the ball moving. Especially for Jeff & Brad, who can bounce off each other well, but without Ben it's Jan and Jason left and sorry, but those two barely have any interactions during the cast.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Oof, that's a bit of a loss for the west coast crew. Good luck to Ben -- this is a rough time for all.

Jeff has quite a lot of work ahead of him -- replacing Dan, Abby and Ben is a gargantuan task.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
Well that's a bummer. I liked Ben. He seemed to have the most consistently great one-liners that had me cracking up while listening to the podcast. I don't consume any other Giant Bomb content, but the podcast will definitely suffer without him.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Damn man :( Ben was a great addition to the cast. I wish him all the best in the future. Really hope GB can find some new talent to fill the massive voids left by Dan, Abby and now Ben.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
I hate to get all 'sjw' on this one but I honestly stopped paying attention to Giant Bomb years ago due to their overwhelmingly straight white male perspective. I see that largely has not changed

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
That sucks, but you need to do whatever makes you happy. All the best to Ben!

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Please don't let GB die on its arse this year. I know it sounds melodramatic but I dont need that at the moment.

Been listening to GB for over a decade. It's part of my life, part of my routine.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hate to get all 'sjw' on this one but I honestly stopped paying attention to Giant Bomb years ago due to their overwhelmingly straight white male perspective. I see that largely has not changed
Setting aside anything else, assuming the sexuality of someone like Ben who goes out of his way to be non-committal on that front is pretty fucked-up.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018

Neither podcast is going anywhere. Both the Bombcast and the Beastcast are among the highest ranking game podcasts on every chart out there. Jeff's mentioned that they get a huge number of listeners from just the podcasts alone. That means a really strong ad revenue stream that's separate from their sub base. Red Ventures literally exists to maximize that kind of ad implementation. The two podcasts are the safest thing about GB.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Not a Ben fan at all, but lot of you seem to like him anyway but not gonna argue about some random person on the Internet, who's leaving his job lol
All the best to him and GB.

Apr 10, 2018
If there is anything good about the RedVentures thing, it'll be that the podcasts will start getting proper ad treatment. It really felt to me like someone at CBSi didn't take podcasting ads seriously.

Starburns

Oct 30, 2017
Denver
I get it. Especially the part of wanting a more private life, being even kind of out there can be exhausting. But also the lack of career advancement. Last year I interviewed at a new company, and everything I'd heard was "make sure you apply for the job you want, it's great to work here, and because of that nobody leaves, so you really CAN'T move up" and in the interview that confirmed that.

When you have Jeff, Alex, Brad, and Vinny who are effectively all lifers (and I'm stoked by that) there are only so many responsibilities to spread around. I've been listening regularly since late 2011, and with each new addition I've had the same cycle of:
1 - Who's this new person? Kind of annoying.
2 - Okay, new person isn't going away, just get used to them.
3 - Start developing an appreciation for new person.
4 - New person becomes part of the crew, and I'm fully on board.
5 - New person leaves, and back to square one.

It happened with Patrick, Austin, Dan, Drew, Abby, Ben. And all but the final step for Jeff B, Jan, Jason.

Anyway, I wish Ben nothing but the best, and I hope wherever he goes he finds happiness. And I'll always laugh at the though of this exchange he detailed.

Random person: Hey, you're tall! Do you play basketball?
Ben: *look forlorn and speaks softly* not since the accident.

Hilarious.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Neither podcast is going anywhere. Both the Bombcast and the Beastcast are among the highest ranking game podcasts on every chart out there. Jeff's mentioned that they get a huge number of listeners from just the podcasts alone. That means a really strong ad revenue stream that's separate from their sub base. Red Ventures literally exists to maximize that kind of ad implementation. The two podcasts are the safest thing about GB.
I didn't know they were that successful! That's great to hear! I really hope Red Ventures is prepared to help them expand the rest of the content too, though.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Please don't let GB die on its arse this year. I know it sounds melodramatic but I dont need that at the moment.

Been listening to GB for over a decade. It's part of my life, part of my routine.

I don't think that's gonna happen. They make money without much advertisement through premium accounts and merch. Add to that YouTube.

If they don't want to shut down they won't be shut down I think.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
I don't think that's gonna happen. They make money without much advertisement through premium accounts and merch. Add to that YouTube.

Let's hope not, but they've occasionally said things that make me wonder how they see the future of the site, what with the new owners buying them.

Oct 27, 2017
These departures just really seem like abby and ben both outgrew the jobs they were in, and also there's zero prospect for advancement in the positions, so they enjoyed it for as long as they could and left. As much as being employed by giantbomb sounds like a dream job, it would probably be equally frustrating in terms of your life privacy and also feeling stuck in a rut since there is no position upwards to get promoted to. I get it and wish them the best, dont think we have anything to worry about with GB, im sure they will bring in some good talent to replace them.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017

The youtube money can't be good. They only have around 200k subscribers and looking at video view counts, their biggest video in a month was like 66k views and most are around 10k.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I bet Jan leaves within the next 6 months.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Their subscription system allows them to make money without a middleman which is HUGE these days, much less back when they first rolled it out.

Giant Bomb will go as long as they want it to

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno if they should combine both podcasts, the bombcast is mostly Jeff and Brad talking to each other, with Ben throwing a "joke" in sometimes. I like hearing what Jeff has to say but I much prefer the beastcast which feels like a proper podcast and has better energy. I do think they need some sort of update, a lot of their content has been lackluster and meh, which is a shame.

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
Thing is, with such a job you get all the "living in the public eye and people I don't know prying into my private life and talking shit about me" of relative fame but without the "getting fuck off money" part. You're still just doing wage labour, like any other job. I get why that can be a shitty prospect in the long run, honestly.

And, you know, it's not just people on 4chan or Reddit or whatever. Every single Giant Bomb thread on this here forum had people shitting on Ben, guaranteed. Whether that was apropos the topic or not.

Gonna miss the lad. Always enjoyed his contributions.