• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

microgreen

Jun 24, 2020
Apparently pointing out that Maddy Myers may not have had the best judgment in the past about what she decided to post publicly online for everyone to see is considered drive-by shitposting and character assassination now.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
im not super familiar with pieces like this, but i am aware editors have a lot of sway with the final article, but I have a question:

is it common for editors to insert other opinions in a piece that's already an opinion piece?

it seems like that should be kept for its own separate opinion article

I've never had an opinion piece altered from my original trajectory and would be very upset if it was done, especially without my consultation. I've generally only ever been edited for brevity/clarity.

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020
Maddy is a great and thoughtful writer and human being, and it irritates me to no end that so much of this thread has been reduced to TLOU2-related sniping. At least I have a long list of new accounts to ignore.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
That "joke" was gross, I don't see the problem with people calling it out.

That's your opinion and I don't see an issue thinking the joke was inappropriate but calling it out shouldn't equal every time her name is brought up to unfairly bash her and her abilities as an editor, which I think 99% of us aren't qualified to do anyway.

It'd be like if I had an issue with something you posted once, to bring it up every single time you posted. It'd be a bit much I'd think.

kafiend

Oct 25, 2017
Whether or not the joke is appropriate, and I don't think it was, I'm not sure the relevance to her editing abilities. Is James Gunn not a good director because he made some inappropriate jokes years ago? I think most of us agree that the two don't have much to do with each other.
I never said if it was relevant to her new job or not. I only commented that what writers write is remembered and consistently saying after the fact that it "was a joke" is a pointless exercise.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your point being... that I'm replying to a strawman? My opinion of Kuchera will change when he starts writing like he has a clue about what he's talking about. So far that's failed to happen.
It's what i don't get. Kuchera has shown his ass so many times that shown he hasn't changed. I don't need to look at newer stuff to believe that he is the same old troll he always was but maybe he's better who knows.

microgreen

Jun 24, 2020
Maddy is a great and thoughtful writer and human being, and it irritates me to no end that so much of this thread has been reduced to TLOU2-related sniping. At least I have a long list of new accounts to ignore.

Is it okay to point out hurtful stuff she's said about lesbians though? Or is that not allowed?

Oct 25, 2017
That's your opinion and I don't see an issue thinking the joke was inappropriate but calling it out shouldn't equal every time her name is brought up to unfairly bash her and her abilities as an editor, which I think 99% of us aren't qualified to do anyway.

It'd be like if I had an issue with something you posted once, to bring it up every single time you posted. It'd be a bit much I'd think.
I don't really disagree with you but it happens for basically every single person on this website so it's not something that should be surprising I think. Also I was only really responding to Jason seemingly downplaying the "joke", not casting any judgement on Maddy's ability as an editor.

Shin-Ra

Nov 1, 2017
Not the point here, but a lot of that stuff DID actually come to fruition, particularly the always online thing. Good luck playing PS4 or Xbox without being online. Game sharing within families/households via home consoles (unless you're f****88 Nintendo), gifting digital titles, etc. They were just about 5 years early and a bit of strict-ness per consumer comfort with it all. (And they were missing a whole LOT of clarity.)
You don't need any luck playing single player games offline on PS4. Never had to manually disconnect the network connection even!

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I don't really disagree with you but it happens for basically every single person on this website so it's not something that should be surprising I think. Also I was only really responding to Jason seemingly downplaying the "joke", not casting any judgement on Maddy's ability as an editor.

Fair enough!

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
For those who don't understand the context behind the joke- she was criticizing TLOU2's hamhanded "revenge bad" message. Pointing out that you can convey that message without making a 30 hour long game full of grotesque torture and murder revolving around queer women. Pointing out that even the fictional/gamified killing of people can be hurtful.

In short, if you're disgusted by the joke, you should be disgusted by the game.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
I'm confused. You referenced the always online thing as if it's what happens in 2020. And then you say 'nothing in that is false'. You understand the general confusion over these two statements which seem incongruous?

The thing about the always online thing is it's gatekeeping this hobby that we all love to only certain people. No one wants that. With the changes in the last 20 years, gaming is more diverse and far reaching than ever. It's like those super liberals that will pretend everything is fixed when Biden hopefully is elected.
For the online bit, I was suggesting that they bet on people always being online at least once every 24 hours of play time. And they were largely correct. Sorry it was unclear.

Speaking of unclear, I have NO idea what you mean by the last line there.

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020
Is it okay to point out hurtful stuff she's said about lesbians though? Or is that not allowed?
  1. Maddy Myers has a girlfriend.
  2. She should be able to criticize Naughty Dog's portrayal of the Ellie-Dina relationship within the lens of her own relationships. She spoke/wrote about her thoughts eloquently (in my opinion) and at great length on multiple podcasts and in writing.
  3. Generalizing that specific, targeted criticism to "hurtful stuff... about lesbians" is inflammatory and untrue.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Guys, Arthur Gies hasn't professionally written about games for years at this point. Leave the man be lol

It's incredible how much "Journalist had a few bad takes about games" is this unforgivable sin around here that people will bring them up forever.

A person should be free to ruin their reputation.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played the game and don't know anything about Maddy, but that seems like a take dripping with homophobia and gatekeeping. Gross.

A high number of queer women (myself included) previously took the time and energy to talk about how deeply hurtful they found Maddy's gatekeeping of queerness over the last of us. Unfortunately though, lots of dudes on this forum want to dismiss the voices of a dozen queer women telling them something is hurtful to defend Maddy's gatekeeping. Its another reminder that Era is not as progressive as it likes to think it is.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
You don't need any luck playing single player games offline on PS4. Never had to manually disconnect the network connection even!
But do you? After you download the patches, do you then take your console offline for the remainder of the experience? Or do you stay hooked into trophies and friends and streaming and sharing photos and the like? It's not that you "can't" it's that hardly anyone does unless forced by an outage or something.

Xbox was betting at the time that the vast majority of gamers would have their consoles connected virtually all the time. That was a correct assumption. You need to connect when you set up your box, and most people never purposely break that connection for the lifetime of the usage.

It's not a matter of "can you", but rather "does anyone?"

I'm not saying it was a good idea for the time, and it was presented horribly. But the underlying assumption about where the generation would lead in terms of gamers' behaviors was spot on.

microgreen

Jun 24, 2020
  1. Maddy Myers has a girlfriend.
  2. She should be able to criticize Naughty Dog's portrayal of the Ellie-Dina relationship within the lens of her own relationships. She spoke/wrote about her thoughts eloquently (in my opinion) and at great length on multiple podcasts and in writing.
  3. Generalizing that specific, targeted criticism to "hurtful stuff... about lesbians" is inflammatory and untrue.

Maddy Myers having a girlfriend doesn't make her immune from having garbage takes about fictional queer relationships. It doesn't mean I can't criticize her about those dogshit takes.

I've read her takes and even listened to her bringing it up in that Waypoint podcast and she's the one who generalized her criticism to queer relationships like Ellie's. So yeah, I'm gonna speak up about that. How is saying Ellie could be replaced by a straight man and nothing would change an okay thing to say at all?

Steak

Oct 27, 2017
Maddy Myers having a girlfriend doesn't make her immune from having garbage takes about fictional queer relationships. It doesn't mean I can't criticize her about those dogshit takes.

I've read her takes and even listened to her bringing it up in that Waypoint podcast and she's the one who generalized her criticism to queer relationships like Ellie's. So yeah, I'm gonna speak up about that. How is saying Ellie could be replaced by a straight man and nothing would change an okay thing to say at all?

Because what she's saying is that the queerness being portrayed in TLOU doesn't represent her at all? Like that's all she means? That the relationship would have the same amount of representational value to her in either situation?

"I have black friends"
uh, no. there's a difference between saying you know someone in order defend your position, and actually being someone. Maddy Myers is a queer woman, not she knows one.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
How is saying Ellie could be replaced by a straight man and nothing would change an okay thing to say at all?

Yeah. Its super gross. People want to pretend this is a two sided issue. Like... "on one side you have several queer women offended by what maddy said, but since maddy is a queer woman too her voice is valid."

But it really just fucking isn't. If I saw myself in Ellie, if I related so heavily to her as a character,felt it was the first time I ever saw someone like myself in a video game. And then maddy comes along and proudly amplifies and agrees with a straight dude on twitter saying "Actually its the same exact thing if Ellie was a straight man" that is a direct attack on me and girls like me. It is an attack on our identities. It IS just hurtful gatekeeping. This isn't a nuanced conversation. Like I've said before: I do not have to defend my existence.

"I have black friends"
This is not the take. She is a queer person, not someone with queer friends. She's just a shitty person who happens to be queer.

microgreen

Jun 24, 2020
Because what she's saying is that the queerness being portrayed in TLOU doesn't represent her at all? Like that's all she means? That the relationship would have the same amount of representational value to her in either situation?

uh, no. there's a difference between saying you know someone in order defend your position, and actually being someone. Maddy Myers is a queer woman, not she knows one.

It's one thing if that's all she said but she went further and said that Ellie and Dina's relationship was a heteronormative relationship made for a straight audience. She then said that Ellie could be replaced by a straight man and it wouldn't have made a difference. That's not offensive?

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
You can be queer and still have garbage opinions and positions on queer issues. Crazy, I know.

Also, Schreier caping her with "it was just a joke" is disappointing as hell, even though not completely surprising, if I'm being totally honest.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
User Banned (1 month): Accusing a queer woman of internalised homophobia
EDIT: I JUST WANT TO SAY I'M REALLY SORRY IF THE WAY I EXPRESSED MYSELF FELT LIKE I WAS ACCUSING HER.
I wanted to talk about the subject of "internalized homophobia" not to blame her. I shouldn't even get involved in this thread for starters since I have 0 knowledge about this person.
--
I'm not familiar with her work or personal life, I just want to add to this conversation that internalized homophobia exists
en.wikipedia.org

Homophobia - Wikipedia

Internalized homophobia refers to negative stereotypes, beliefs, stigma, and prejudice about homosexuality and LGBT people that a person with same-sex attraction turns inward on themselves, whether or not they identify as LGBT.[12][64][65] The degree to which someone is affected by these ideas depends on how much and which ideas they have consciously and subconsciously internalized.[66] These negative beliefs can be mitigated with education, life experience and therapy,[65][67] especially with gay-friendly psychotherapy/analysis.[68] Internalized homophobia also applies to conscious or unconscious behaviors which a person feels the need to promote or conform to cultural expectations of heteronormativity or heterosexism. This can include extreme repression and denial coupled with forced outward displays of heteronormative behavior for the purpose of appearing or attempting to feel "normal" or "accepted." Other expressions of internalized homophobia can also be subtle. Some less overt behaviors may include making assumptions about the gender of a person's romantic partner, or about gender roles.[12] Some researchers also apply this label to LGBT people who support "compromise" policies, such as those that find civil unions acceptable in place of same-sex marriage.[69]

Last edited:

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Guys, Arthur Gies hasn't professionally written about games for years at this point. Leave the man be lol

It's incredible how much "Journalist had a few bad takes about games" is this unforgivable sin around here that people will bring them up forever.

I think because of the nature of their job when you see that they are clearly not impartial and they reveal over time some really questionable belief systems that show up over and over it's not something you just brush under the rug.

Conversely people might take issue with JC at times but no one is questioning his integrity and ethics over the job he does.

I'll give you a good example. I love Bill Simmons and I have been following most of his stuff since I was a kid but a couple questionable articles he has let out made me uncomfortable and this latest thing with Lebron James - The Decision has made me not only avoid pretty much everything from him but has changed my view of the guy as a professional completely

Steak

Oct 27, 2017
It's one thing if that's all she said but she went further and said that Ellie and Dina's relationship was a heteronormative relationship made for a straight audience. She then said that Ellie could be replaced by a straight man and it wouldn't have made a difference. That's not offensive?
I don't think it's a stretch to say that the protagonist's relationship in a AAA game is written for a straight audience, 99% of everything in the world is made for a straight audience. I also don't think it's offensive for her to say that it wouldn't make a difference, a critic's opinions are their reactions to their experience, not attempts to proclaim universal truths.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
For those who don't understand the context behind the joke- she was criticizing TLOU2's hamhanded "revenge bad" message. Pointing out that you can convey that message without making a 30 hour long game full of grotesque torture and murder revolving around queer women. Pointing out that even the fictional/gamified killing of people can be hurtful.

In short, if you're disgusted by the joke, you should be disgusted by the game.

You mean you'd then would also have to be disgusted by the game... if you shared the take that TLOU2 boils down to a hamfisted "revenge bad" story.
Something that clearly not everyone does.

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
Some of y'all are really viscious and personal about journalists. It's fucking weird tbh. Some bad drive bys and character assassinations here.
She criticized their precious movie-game that finally proves to mom and dad that "Games are art," so to them she must be destroyed.

EDIT: Jesus Christ, now Maddy is driven by internalized homophobia? You guys are really something else.

microgreen

Jun 24, 2020
I don't think it's a stretch to say that the protagonist's relationship in a AAA game is written for a straight audience, 99% of everything in the world is made for a straight audience. I also don't think it's offensive for her to say that it wouldn't make a difference, a critic's opinions are their reactions to their experience, not attempts to proclaim universal truths.

Calling a queer relationship heteronormative is not it. Saying the first lesbian protagonist of a AAA game that clearly resonates with so many queer women is interchangeable with a straight dude is especially not it. I don't know if a productive discussion can be had when we can't even agree on that basic premise. It doesn't matter, I'll keep calling out harmful shit like that anyway.

huH1678

Oct 30, 2017
I think most people would defend colleagues if they see unwarranted attacks.

Imagine "joking" about killing people and thinking it'd be funny to share it with people on the internet. unwarranted lol... If a co-worker said this to me I'd give them the wtf look, same if it was family or friends.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good news. Now Kuchera can finally go join his fellow corporate bootlicker Arthur Gies in irrelevancy.

I don't think I'd put money on Polygon suddenly becoming a place of quality content even with him being booted out though, but I guess we'll see.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Calling a queer woman a homophobe for not agreeing with their take is not it either.

It honestly is as simple as that. Other queer women can express their hurt over what we perceive as her gatekeeping queerness but we don't need other people steaming in with their hot takes about how she is a homophobe or other garbage words to that effect. It's possible to criticise what she wrote and discuss the harm such rhetoric causes without making it personal or diminishing her queerness.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan

psionotic

May 29, 2019
Maddy is a wonderful writer and human being. Really glad about her new place of prominence at Polygon, and especially glad the freelancers there seem to be in better hands.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think because of the nature of their job when you see that they are clearly not impartial and they reveal over time some really questionable belief systems that show up over and over it's not something you just brush under the rug.

Conversely people might take issue with JC at times but no one is questioning his integrity and ethics over the job he does.

I'll give you a good example. I love Bill Simmons and I have been following most of his stuff since I was a kid but a couple questionable articles he has let out made me uncomfortable and this latest thing with Lebron James - The Decision has made me not only avoid pretty much everything from him but has changed my view of the guy as a professional completely

People keep quoting that post without reading the first sentence, its weird. The point is Arthur's "impartiality" isn't relevant to the discussion here. The dude writes about routers or whatever for the New York Times now. There's no rug to brush his video game takes under, he's in an entirely different room.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Imagine "joking" about killing people and thinking it'd be funny to share it with people on the internet. unwarranted lol... If a co-worker said this to me I'd give them the wtf look, same if it was family or friends.

I don't particularly care what you would do in such a situation, I responded to the people bringing it up every time her name is mentioned. It's unwarranted to attack her journalistic abilities because of people having an issue with something she said. It'd be like saying that Hideo Kojima is a bad games designer because of the depiction of Quiet in Metal Gear Solid V. There is something to be critical of there obviously but the rush to attack her is really based on one real issue. Her takes on TLOU2 were not welcome by many (for various reasons, some rational, others not) and the joke serves as a perfect way to attack her without addressing the criticisms.

I just think it's unfair and we should celebrate that there's a queer person that has a role like that at a publication like Polygon, no matter how you feel about her or Polygon.

People keep quoting that post without reading the first sentence, its weird. The point is Arthur's "impartiality" isn't relevant to the discussion here. The dude writes about routers or whatever for the New York Times now. There's no rug to brush his video game takes under, he's in an entirely different room.

Little does he know that the router wars are more toxic than ever.