• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I still remember years back Kuchera having some wild hot (bad) takes.
Didn't knew he was still at Polygon

Kuchera and Gies working at Polygon inevitably brings down my opinion of Polygon by like five points out of ten. Someone defending Microsoft's then cartoonishly villanous attempts to destroy consumer rights, pitching this as "inevitable" and something all companies would do, and painting consumers complaints about it as "farts in the wind", should not have a job in games journalism.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Guys, Arthur Gies hasn't professionally written about games for years at this point. Leave the man be lol

It's incredible how much "Journalist had a few bad takes about games" is this unforgivable sin around here that people will bring them up forever.

Yeah, it's amazing that people judge the professionality of people whose job descriptions are writing about videogames, by the quality of their writing about videogames. What's next, judging a pilot by how many planes they have crashed?

microgreen

Jun 24, 2020
Ugh, Maddy "Ellie and Dina were heteronormative/it wouldn't have made a difference if Ellie was replaced by a straight man" Myers.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Polygon has been excellent for a while. Their Youtube channel and podcasts are great too.

Especially this site, which is big on great representation. Polygon is amazing here.

If people are still thinking about the Gies days, someone I personally have issues with, that was ages ago. Damn lol. Get with the times. That was a long time ago and it's basically different publication.

GG-Duo

Oct 27, 2017
Kuchera being on the payroll was one of the reasons why I never took Polygon seriously.

The only reason why I'm reading them now is because Kotaku is such a mess due to G/O.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Kuchera and Gies wrote some hot garbage in their time, let me tell you.
Arthur Gies?

I got so tired of his takes on Rebel FM I stopped listening ages ago, and I was so gung ho about that project when it started. Everything was filtered through some way right-field lens that literally no one else was discussing and 9 times out of 10 it was a miss. Also, I feel like they hate Nintendo games?

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As opposed to some of the opinions in this thread, I like Maddy Myers. I really enjoy her perspectives on the Triple Click pod. Look forward to seeing the changes at Polygon. *shrug*

OP
OP
Naga

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
So why are you trying to connect this to the "Black and White Morality" piece when the timeline doesn't line up?
Maybe you should read the rest of the OP?
This change was announced after freelancers (and other industry members) criticized that opinion piece (which was edited by Kuchera despite his title change).

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
Maybe you should read the rest of the OP?
This change was announced after freelancers (and other industry members) criticized that opinion piece (which was edited by Kuchera despite his title change).
I did read it. The change took place last month, weeks before the "Black and White Morality" article and accompanying criticism. You're implying that this month's events caused stuff that actually took place a month ago though. But like, time doesn't work that way.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
My only reference point for who he is, is that he wrote an article pre-E3 2013 defending the Xbox always-online/DRM stuff and was adamant Sony would follow suit and it was going to be industry-standard. I always remember that as a historically bad take (although tbf he wasn't the only one to have it back then).

Anyway Maddy is good people so this seems like a smart move.
Not the point here, but a lot of that stuff DID actually come to fruition, particularly the always online thing. Good luck playing PS4 or Xbox without being online. Game sharing within families/households via home consoles (unless you're f****88 Nintendo), gifting digital titles, etc. They were just about 5 years early and a bit of strict-ness per consumer comfort with it all. (And they were missing a whole LOT of clarity.)

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Maddy "i want a mini game to kill ND devs, omg it's a joke haha" Myers sounds like a great replacement
Maddy is a brilliant, funny, incredibly talented editor with excellent people skills. What is this drive-by shitposting? You think it's worth trashing her entire character because she made a joke you didn't like? Go away.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Not the point here, but a lot of that stuff DID actually come to fruition, particularly the always online thing. Good luck playing PS4 or Xbox without being online. Game sharing within families/households via home consoles (unless you're f****88 Nintendo), gifting digital titles, etc. They were just about 5 years early and a bit of strict-ness per consumer comfort with it all. (And they were missing a whole LOT of clarity.)

That's totally false. No current or upcoming consoles have always online DRM.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Maddy is a brilliant, funny, incredibly talented editor with excellent people skills. What is this drive-by shitposting? You think it's worth trashing her entire character because she made a joke you didn't like? Go away.

TBF it was posted publicly with terrible timing considering what the team was going through at that moment

If she's learned from it fine, but people won't forget it

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Can I get this thread explained in pie graph form?

Can I get this story in pie chart form so I can visualize it please?

Efd6PsiU0AExh2I

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Yeah, this guy always seems to come with major asterisks.

He was the one who said the Xbox One's positioning and launch faux pax didn't matter, right?

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
That's totally false. No current or upcoming consoles have always online DRM.
Nothing in that is false.

Who said anything about DRM OR next gen? Talking about the whole package.
"a lot of that stuff DID happen" =/= "everything that was proposed happened exactly to the letter."

Relax. It was years ago. You can let the outrage go now. The bad people have gone away.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Maddy has said real dumb shit too recently. So a perfect replacement for a place like polygon moving into next gen, really.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
Maddy is great! She was a superb addition to Kotaku Splitscreen back then, and continues to do a good job alongside Jason and Kirk in Tripleclick.

OP
OP
Naga

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Are you seriously defending this as a joke?
Come on, I expected better from you. She can be a great journalist and write something that is really bad and not a joke. Both can be true.

I guess that next you'll defend Kuchera saying that rape is funny too?

Looks like Rosie might be the new host for the price is right

quote:Originally posted by GwT:quote:Originally posted by fictionfree:IF anyone remembers her back from her VH1 hosting days and stand-up days, then I think you could see her as the host. I could see her doing it - as long as she remains positive and upbeat and fun. I could also see Ellen...

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Great move. I've heard issues with Ben Kuchera's editing for a long time now so it's good to finally see him off that beat, while Maddy Myers is one of the most experienced and considered voices in games writing. Should lead to a marked improvement in the types of pieces Polygon publishes.

Oct 25, 2017
Come on, I expected better from you. She can be a great journalist and write something that is really bad and not a joke. Both can be true.
But it was a joke!? She didn't actually want to hunt down ND devs, you know. It's a play on Hotline Miami.
Doesn't mean you have to like it, but come on.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore

I guess that next you'll defend Kuchera saying that rape is funny too?

Looks like Rosie might be the new host for the price is right

quote:Originally posted by GwT:quote:Originally posted by fictionfree:IF anyone remembers her back from her VH1 hosting days and stand-up days, then I think you could see her as the host. I could see her doing it - as long as she remains positive and upbeat and fun. I could also see Ellen...
Ugh that's disgusting.

Anyone have a link to the Maddy thing about killing ND devs? I've seen it mentioned but not posted.

OP
OP
Naga

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
But it was a joke!? She didn't actually want to hunt down ND devs, you know. It's a play on Hotline Miami.
Let's agree that it was an incredibly bad and out-of-taste joke if you prefer.
I wouldn't say that a joke that nobody is laughing at but its author is really a joke.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
No, I am responding to a post that snarked on her abilities as an editor because of a joke.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Maddy rules and will be a great replacement, even if I don't see eye-to-eye with her about TLOU2. Turns out people can have opinions about things.

MangoUltz

Mar 24, 2019
Some of y'all are really viscious and personal about journalists. It's fucking weird tbh. Some bad drive bys and character assassinations here.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Yeah, it's amazing that people judge the professionality of people whose job descriptions are writing about videogames, by the quality of their writing about videogames. What's next, judging a pilot by how many planes they have crashed?

The post you're quoting has the phrases
'Unforgivable sin' and 'brought up forever', you know.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Nothing in that is false.

Who said anything about DRM OR next gen? Talking about the whole package.
"a lot of that stuff DID happen" =/= "everything that was proposed happened exactly to the letter."

Relax. It was years ago. You can let the outrage go now. The bad people have gone away.

I'm confused. You referenced the always online thing as if it's what happens in 2020. And then you say 'nothing in that is false'. You understand the general confusion over these two statements which seem incongruous?

The thing about the always online thing is it's gatekeeping this hobby that we all love to only certain people. No one wants that. With the changes in the last 20 years, gaming is more diverse and far reaching than ever. It's like those super liberals that will pretend everything is fixed when Biden hopefully is elected.

kafiend

Oct 25, 2017
No, I am responding to a post that snarked on her abilities as an editor because of a joke.
Writers are put in the spotlight by default because what they write is for public consumption. That means when something fucking disgraceful is written people remember it.
Pass it off a joke all you like and do it forever because it won't ever be recalled that way by just about anyone else.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Writers are put in the spotlight by default because what they write is for public consumption. That means when something fucking disgraceful is written people remember it.
Pass it off a joke all you like and do it forever because it won't ever be recalled that way by just about anyone else.

Whether or not the joke is appropriate, and I don't think it was, I'm not sure the relevance to her editing abilities. Is James Gunn not a good director because he made some inappropriate jokes years ago? I think most of us agree that the two don't have much to do with each other.