• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Riddler

Oct 25, 2017
Backed to see what they can do. Hopefully they get big & maybe add some others(Dan) to the group.

God how could I forget Leo! If Dan & Leo join that could be very exciting!

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It's pretty apparent that it's just a matter of when and not if at this point before gamestop buckles so it's a pretty smart move. Loved the podcast and video content he's done and helped with. Also great to hear a lot of the former GI staff coming back as well. Looking forward to this.

PepperedHam

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
One of the easiest pledges I've ever made.

Hanson and Co. have one of the best gaming podcasts in the biz and I'm so happy to get to hear from Kyle again.

Bndadm

Oct 29, 2017
I love that I can have a second outlet next to Game Informer with content I enjoy by folks I enjoy. I will support as soon as humanly possible.

However I think it is disingenious to cast the GI crew as "what's left" just because Ben is leaving. Their New Gameplay Today and Replay features are still great and people should still check them out.

I see this now as having my cake and eating it too.

Also...Jeff M super replay equivalent of Ninja Gaiden 2 on NES...please?

Erevador

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing the degree to which services like Patreon (combined with the ease of uploading to YouTube/Apple Podcasts) have resulted in such a renaissance for media small business. The low cost of production and distribution makes it easy for creators to have, in some sense, exactly the level of success they deserve. If they have an audience that wants to support them, they'll be supported. It definitely allows these creatives to do something viable for a medium-sized audience without needing to do it in a precarious corporate structure.

Very cool.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
One of the few gaming podcasts I listened too was GI, still do, but seems staff are leaving.

Will check out their podcast when it's live.

Edit, so was gonna ask, when people do patrerons, do they put no ads on YouTube? Or is that just Jim sterling? Or do people do combos of the both?

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
with gameinformer gone, what other physical english language magazines were left? Edge........what else?

wingedarcher7

Feb 22, 2018
Miami, FL
I was just about to start listening to the GI podcast this week for the first time ever and saw that the most recent episode was titled as Hanson's goodbye. Don't really know what to do with this.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Their podcast feed doesn't seem to be up on my podcast app yet, so I'll have to wait until it does to listen to the episode. I really like their precious podcast, so I'm happy to move on to this.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Will do patronage for a couple of months to get them started. But still somewhat low on economy, so have to drop eventually. Best of luck to them all.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Glad that he's doing what he wants but it's sad to see GI gutted so quickly.

By the way, Hanson's interviews are great. He has talked to a lot of fascinating people and always does his research, which leads to enlightening answers. I really enjoyed his Will Wright interview he did earlier this year.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Man, I hope there's gonna be work out there for all the GI old heads like Reiner, Kato, McNamara, Reeves, etc. in the years to come.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
I think the only reason you work in Games Journalism these days is to become known enough to launch your own Patreon.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
Holy fucking shit dude has nearly 5000 bucks already. I think I underestimated the draw of the Game Informer podcast.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
Best of luck to Ben! I never got into GI's content but would catch an episode here and there, and always thought he was a blast. I just have way too many podcasts I'm subscribed to and not enough time for them all!

cdr Jameson

Oct 27, 2017
Ben Hanson is an insanely talented podcasthost.

Would he by himself still have the pull to do the interviews with those varying gameindustrie illuminaries? His interviews were always very good, entertaining AND informative, just how I like it.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah maybe it's just because I'm from MN but I understood that right away haha. I'm pretty pumped about them staying in MN for it, hopefully I can go to some meetups, which they were saying on the podcast that they definitely want do those.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Ben always came off pretty likable on the GI show and I was always impressed by his skills as a host - he has that kind of screen presence where you can tell being in front of a camera just comes naturally to him.

Best of luck to him and the rest of the team. It's pretty clear that GI isn't too stable anymore so I can't blame him for jumping ship to go indie with his friends.